• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Does anyone hate this Dante ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I've never really answer the question. I've comented on whatever the issue been discused is but I never said if I hated this version of Dante. I feel a simple yes or no would surfice but I'm thinking people will want an explination.

DMC3 was a pretty high point in the franchise and it had taken a different spin on the franchise than before. In DMC3 and 4's case they took a very Japanese approach ala Ryuhei Kitamura. In DMC3's case those movies were new and the take was fresh, but in DMC4 it was just uninteresting; It had lost it's appeal and didn't have the same bite as 3.

One of the issues wa Dante himself. Alot of people were rather unimpressed with the new look Dante was sporting. Up to that point Dante always had some cool threads, no question. This time, though, he was really out there, it wasn't what I was expecting nor what I would imagine. If you lined all 4 of Dante's designs from 1 to 4 4 would be the must outlandish.

It wasn't unbarable but it seemed subpar to the rest of them in terms of badassery. His additude wasn't helping ether, it was too nonchalant and unphased by the occuraces around him, which isn't like the Dante I came to know and love. It was even in 3, when they took a similar take on him, he still didn't feel as flat. This twist from a RE type game to a Ryuhei Kitamura style movie to an anime/basara game didn't really sit well with me. Capcom kept saying that they wanted to bringin a younger audience with a new younger Dante with 3 and a new younger protagonist with 4. With 4 they took a very sharp left turn and the entire feel of the games changed in architecture, color scheems, designs, themes, and even music.

This lead Capcom to rebooting the franchise and once again going for a younger Dante to attrack a younger audience... Untill then I didn't mind DMC4 Dante nor his attire. I didn't like it, but I could stomach it. The problem came when NT starting using DMC4 as their example of how terrible Dante and DMC were. Rather than looking at the franchise on it's etirety they picked at it in a moch and used DMC4 as amunition. I started hating it because it was not indicative of all that DMC was but since it is the current image most people have of the original franchise it turned it into easy pickings for a rather vulturistic attack that NT used to justify their reboot then and now.

So to clarify, yeah, I hate this Dante. I didn't always hate him. I never liked him but I didn't hate him till recently.

Valcorn

Interesting reply. Well, now you mention it... I didn't care about Dante's well-being in 4 at all, but I did a bit for Nero.
He was kinda like a superman in there, not showing his "Clark Kent" side at all.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Yeah. But at least DMC1 and DMC3 were able to show actual emotion for more then a few seconds.

Actually it was also very.. unfitting for a 30 yr old guy to behave like that

in DMC 3 it was acceptable because he's supposed to be a loud mouth jerk in his early 20's atleast he had that some temper with that

this Dante isn't even serious dante is always supposed to be serious in DMC1,2/anime even in the ending of DMC3 it was shown that Dante wears DMC 1's suit becomes more mature but this is absurd..
Interesting reply. Well, now you mention it... I didn't care about Dante's well-being in 4 at all, but I did a bit for Nero.
He was kinda like a superman in there, not showing his "Clark Kent" side at all.
As i said DMC 4 is just an expansion pack for DMC 3

nero is supposed to be playing 'young dante' again... he is treated just like Dante was in DMC 3

EDIT has anyone noticed the background change ?

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I don't know about that. People at 30 in this day and age are not really know for their maturaty.

we're talking about this guy
250px-Dante_transparent.png
not this
images

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Do you feel the same about DMC-Reboot Dante?
I don't get this, if anyone here is hating on DevilMayCry4's Dante for being immature, how can you love the DMC-Reboot Dante.
I do agree with Tony_Redgrave though.
I think DevilMayCry4's Dante is extremely confident in his own abilities & knowing he can handle himself in a fight & there hasn't been many that makes him doubt that.
I'm not a big DevilMayCry fan but i like how Dante can talk trash & back it up at the same time.
He as immature as he wants to be but yet he still manages to remain in control of a situation & come out on top.
However he can get annoying, i didn't like him in DevilMayCry3.
So i think he fit perfectly in DevilMayCry4 because he wasn't the main character, it was Dante in small doses.

Why bring new Dante into this?

This is a thread about why people don't like DMC4 Dante. If you want to talk about new Dante go to the DmC thread that says why people hate him.

Also, I like new Dante cause even though he can be immature, he can get serious when the situation calls for it, and not just be on one knob of emotions, which is played out and makes him seem flaming and look like a clown.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
First off do you see me slinging any hate ?
So why would i go there.
Secondly I bring DMC-Reboot Dante in this because he's a rebooted version of the original, where do you think DMC-Reboot Dante came from ?
Third you & almost everyone else here freely mention previous DevilMayCry titles so don't get defensive when i freely mention DMC-Reboot.
As much as you don't wanna admit it, DMC-Reboot Dante is trying to mimic all of the original DevilMayCry Dante's personality in one game.
He acts just as the original Dante does, he just freely uses more foul language, much more skinny & has black hair.
And as Tony explained, the original Dante is immature & cocky for a reason just as the DMC-Reboot Dante is immature & cocky for a reason.
However they do the job that's needed to be done when they have to.

Who said I'm defensive? You just assume so, cause I just simply said "Why bring new Dante into this."

I say why bring him in cause he seems unnesesary in this to me. He's seen as a different character from the other Dante's in a sense so I don't bother to add him.

Plus I'm comparing his past incarnations not his future one.

I know new Dante has qualities of the old Dante. That's how a reboot usually works with a long running game, but I don't want new Dante to go to the "Try to look cool by doing ridiculous things" level DMC4 Dante went. And by ridiculous I mean the Lucifer cutscene, the opera house cutscene, and not being a showoff.

I understand Tony's explanation, however I still think DMC4 Dante was the place where Capcom ran out of ideas and made Dante into a chaps wearing, old guy trying to act young, who breaks Nero in, who could have handled the Fortuna problem by himself because "He has Sparda's blood" but Capcom decided to make him seem weak in comparison.

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
I agree the opera house and the Lucifer bit were a tad excessive (although I like to consider them just jokes lost in translation) but I think other than those two there weren't really many examples of him being overly immature. Most of his punch lines were delivered in a fairly dry tone and there was hardly any "HA-HAA WA-HOO!"s in the game if any if I recall right and no riding on missles or moterbikes up mountains etc.

I do agree he still did anime over the top stuff which is cool if you don't like that style, but after the cutscenes in 3 if he performed any less it would have been a downgrade to his abilities even though he's clearly supposed to have been stronger. I think they did a great job of keeping his style of action from 3 while mixing his dry wit and personality from 1 (apart from the aforementioned scenes)

I always like to consider the cutscenes and dialog in DMC1 simple from how games were made back then and not because of any continuity problems, but again that's just my interpretation. I always liked to consider the Dante of DMC 1-4 and the anime the same person and can bridge in my mind reasons as to why they are different in each. I even get to come up with my own silly little fan-fiction to explain why Dante is so broody in DMC2.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
To be fair I liked Dante's gameplay more than nero's because Dante had more tools in his tool chest which equal more ways to deal with a enemy than nero's arm snatch. So i was more inspired to learn his moves than Nero's.

I disliked DMC4 Dante simply because he was written without a character arc i.e no rivals to fight, lessons to learn etc which made him feel unnecessary to the plot as a whole. With the anime and this game, i thought it would be easier just to give his role to Trish and lady and fade him out the plot.

The reason why 3 and 1 felt like better plots was because Dante had a purpose and drive which made him more fun to watch. This game and the anime lacked that fun: he might as well have been sleepwalking.

So it depends more on the execution of the writing than the character himself. He just need some balance or a challenge ie. what was Lexy and Berto were talking about.

Do you feel the same about DMC-Reboot Dante?
I don't get this, if anyone here is hating on DevilMayCry4's Dante for being immature, how can you love the DMC-Reboot Dante.
I do agree with Tony_Redgrave though.
I think DevilMayCry4's Dante is extremely confident in his own abilities & knowing he can handle himself in a fight & there hasn't been many that makes him doubt that.
I'm not a big DevilMayCry fan but i like how Dante can talk trash & back it up at the same time.
He as immature as he wants to be but yet he still manages to remain in control of a situation & come out on top.
However he can get annoying, i didn't like him in DevilMayCry3.
So i think he fit perfectly in DevilMayCry4 because he wasn't the main character, it was Dante in small doses.

To answer your question, both reboot and DMC3 are both young rookies whose immaturity drove both plots while DMC4 Dante was a veteran of 10+ years and should have known better. Lady was right in saying the whole incident got escalated because of Trish and his inaction or laziness/recklessness.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I disliked DMC4 Dante simply because he was written without a character arc i.e no rivals to fight, lessons to learn etc which made him feel unnecessary to the plot as a whole..

Well the Game was for Nero and they somehow had to squish Dante into it and you might be surprised but many ppl like DMC4's dante even more so than DMC1's dante

DissonantDemon

/Oh the irony of my profile picture but Lucifer was my favorite weapon of the series when played correctly and not spammed/

I didn't like his appearance, suddenly the cocky, confident young kid from Devil May Cry 3 was old and seemed to never change his attitude even looking 40 some odd. It isn't age so much as he never seemed to evolve. He remained the same kid and didn't seem to gain a new outlook or any form of change to his mentality.

Britt690

Gabriel Reyes needs to eat me.
DMC4 Dante was my favorite interpretation of him. I loved his I'm-the-sh*t-and-nobody-can-f**k-with-me persona while still keeping a level head during any situation. Personally I feel DMC4 could have done so much more with Dante, personality-wise...and gameplay (all that damn backtracking!!!!!!!:mad:) , but it seems like they took the safe road with it, especially by putting Nero in there (I think Nero's cool and all but...still).

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
/Oh the irony of my profile picture but Lucifer was my favorite weapon of the series when played correctly and not spammed/

I didn't like his appearance, suddenly the cocky, confident young kid from Devil May Cry 3 was old and seemed to never change his attitude even looking 40 some odd. It isn't age so much as he never seemed to evolve. He remained the same kid and didn't seem to gain a new outlook or any form of change to his mentality.

What bugged me was the complete lack of continuity regarding his personality. In DMC3, near the end he was beginning to show shades of his DMC1 persona, but in DMC4 Capcom shat that out the window.

DissonantDemon

What bugged me was the complete lack of continuity regarding his personality. In DMC3, near the end he was beginning to show shades of his DMC1 persona, but in DMC4 Capcom shat that out the window.

Right I agree entirely, he was becoming a different person at the end of the 3rd and became that in the first and then in the fourth he was exactly the same as he was when he was a kid. Then according to timelines the last being the 2nd DMC he was back to being stoic and serious. He seemed to Deadpool around in his personality if I could use that example.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Right I agree entirely, he was becoming a different person at the end of the 3rd and became that in the first and then in the fourth he was exactly the same as he was when he was a kid. Then according to timelines the last being the 2nd DMC he was back to being stoic and serious. He seemed to Deadpool around in his personality if I could use that example.

He actually did show a bit more than just seriousness in DMC2 though. He seemed more compassionate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom