• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DoA Producer talks "Cultural Barrier between West and Japan"

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
A single good movie does not invalidate the bad ones. :p
I never said that, but I simply will give credit where credit is due. Everything else he has is without a doubt, terrible. Just like I think M. Night Shymalan is absolutely awful, but I won't deny The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are still great films. Unbreakable is still one particular film I am always going to be rather fond of.

Meg

Ummmm.......topic? Can we get back to that please? By all means, make a new thread to continue this discussion. :thumbsup:

But seriously though, on topic please.

Goldsickle

(and yes, they'd BETTER give you the opportunity to pause, otherwise, how am I going to hold off going to the bathroom during these 45-minute marathons??) in order to be able to know what you have to do next afterwards.
Pausing is there as of MGS4. It should be standard by now.

See, that's my point. It shouldn't have taken Kojima four games to do that.
Even someone creative as Kojima falls under the "Japanese game developers are slow" curse, as mentioned earlier.
But at the present, he's one of the more advanced developers from Japan.

I think Splinter Cell got the 'modern' controls up earlier than MG?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
While i think there are cultural difference between East and West (or any two countries really) I just dont think Team ninja's problem with DOA or NG could be chalked up to as cultural differences.

I just think they lack that creative spark necessary in order to stand out.

GF9000000Returns

Even though the Japanese developers have a right to do what they wanna do, we westerners have a right to not like it, just like Japanese folks have a right to not like our shows and games. I honestly agree with the "politically correct" westerners on this. Japan is sorta sick in the head at times. Having underage characters dress all flamboyant and oversexual, you kidding? So lemme guess, Team Ninja's next step is to have the youngest character to be pregnant and expect people to deal with that? HELL NO! I wouldn't, the westerners wouldn't, heck, I bet even most of the world won't either. It's sickening.

Also, this may be off topic, but I think there should be a limit on the fanservice, especially for underage characters. The games CAN have fanservice, but not to the point where it defines the game. Too many asses exposed, boobs popping out and guys with shirts off, like, put some clothes on!

There's no live & let live in gaming anymore.
There's no let gamers decide for themselves what they want to play. It's just media telling us what we should want & should be playing.

Eh, not really. I see a LOT of western gamers who barely have respect for most of Japan's games, and I think they just thought of that for themselves, not cuz of the media. I mean you gotta admit, Japan has weird and creepy ass sh!t, but if you're into that culture, go for it.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Even though the Japanese developers have a right to do what they wanna do, we westerners have a right to not like it, just like Japanese folks have a right to not like our shows and games. I honestly agree with the "politically correct" westerners on this. Japan is sorta sick in the head at times. Having underage characters dress all flamboyant and oversexual, you kidding? So lemme guess, Team Ninja's next step is to have the youngest character to be pregnant and expect people to deal with that? HELL NO! I wouldn't, the westerners wouldn't, heck, I bet even most of the world won't either. It's sickening.
Yes, but that's hardly a Japan only scenario. I'm sure you've read or seen news or articles on the sexualization of children in the US, including in television or pageants, or printed media. My brother was watching an episode of this dancing reality show, what the hell's it call, dance moms (?), where this evil fat woman runs a kids dance studio for young girls and both her and the mothers are all crazy. Well, at a competition she dressed the girls like hookers and pulled a ridiculously stripper dance routine and that's kinda become a stereotype. I know that there are other examples of this kind of behaviour and I know one does not excuse the other but to single out an entire country like that for things that happen in many many places is rather unfair.

GF9000000Returns

Yes, but that's hardly a Japan only scenario. I'm sure you've read or seen news or articles on the sexualization of children in the US, including in television or pageants, or printed media. My brother was watching an episode of this dancing reality show, what the hell's it call, dance moms (?), where this evil fat woman runs a kids dance studio for young girls and both her and the mothers are all crazy. Well, at a competition she dressed the girls like hookers and pulled a ridiculously stripper dance routine and that's kinda become a stereotype. I know that there are other examples of this kind of behaviour and I know one does not excuse the other but to single out an entire country like that for things that happen in many many places is rather unfair.

I may be solely talking about Japan, but I never said "only Japan does this and that". I know the US has their sh!t and two wrongs don't make a right, but that ain't what I'm talking about.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
This whole complains about "sickening japanese culture" is blown out of proportion. It reminds me about those complains about sex in ME. The whole debate about racial "sickening nature" is on verge of hypocrisy.
People were fine for years with designs like this:
latest

but going insane over design like this:
162aa9a64db7c2fa3e286968b8283a73.jpg

Let be honest: game industry needs a scapegoat and I have feeling just journalists more than often take out their feelings on japanese industry while ignoring same problems with western games.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
But are these two you mentioned underaged? That's my gripe with Japan and a few countries.
One's a super intelligent A.I. that isn't really in your face sexed up at all because she's basically just a voice in your head. I think the A.I. is 8 years old, but does that fit your underage thing? lol

The other is Quiet from MGS V, and while we don't know her exact age I'm pretty sure she's over 18 or at least that.

And the reason some people made a little fuss about Quiet was because of how shamelessly sexualized she is. Not making a good argument for the better representation of females in gaming is it? I'm no military expert, but I'm fairly sure in no way is her outfit practical. She's supposed to be some partner you can call in.

*shrugs* I could care less. Who gives a crap about Quiet when YOU GOT A DOG!

Sort of on topic, speaking of Quiet; I did a redesign for funzies and gave her her own sneaking suit. Just sketching.
quiet__metal_gear_solid_v_redesign_by_chancey289-d8dim70.jpg

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
But are these two you mentioned underaged? That's my gripe with Japan and a few countries.
So you disturbed by underaged females in japanese games, but you are not disturbed by underaged main heroine of Beyond almost getting raped, main heroine of DmC implied rape and loli vampire in skyrim biting dicks off her targets?

GF9000000Returns

So you disturbed by underaged females in japanese games, but you are not disturbed by underaged main heroine of Beyond almost getting raped, main heroine of DmC implied rape and loli vampire in skyrim biting dicks off her targets?

*sigh* Again, I never said "only Japan". Plus I don't think Kat was raped.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
So, Kat's backstory of an abusive childhood is comparable to your typically sexed up anime teenager?

Anna, do you wanna build a strawman?

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
*sigh* Again, I never said "only Japan". Plus I don't think Kat was raped.
It was heavily implied that she was. And again if you make statement like "Japan is sorta sick in the head at times." you basically need to stretch it to the "whole game industry is messed in the head". If it is problem that bothers you it's not only limited to japan, so it's already over barrier of Japan and West. I think DoA problem is sexualization itself not how old are characters

GF9000000Returns

It was heavily implied that she was.

Was it her childhood backstory or when she was captured? I don't care about that, as long as it gives her motivation to eradicte evil and she doesn't dress OTT, I don't care. I know I sound hypocritical.

And again if you make statement like "Japan is sorta sick in the head at times." you basically need to stretch it to the "whole game industry is messed in the head". If it is problem that bothers you it's not only limited to japan, so it's already over barrier of Japan and West.

Yeah, I should've been more specific, but still, I'm talking about Japan and what THEY do, y'know, staying on topic. If you or anyone else wanna talk about how the US does the same thing too, I don't mind saying the same thing.

I think DoA problem is sexualization itself not how old are characters

Well I think it's both, but that's just me.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Was it her childhood backstory or when she was captured? I don't care about that, as long as it gives her motivation to eradicte evil and she doesn't dress OTT, I don't care. I know I sound hypocritical.
In her childhood. And if you admit it, yes, it does sound like hypocrisy

Yeah, I should've been more specific, but still, I'm talking about Japan and what THEY do, y'know, staying on topic. If you or anyone else wanna talk about how the US does the same thing too, I don't mind saying the same thing.
Topic's theme is cultural barrier between west and east. So, you can be put off by underaged characters but don't forget thats it's not some japanese gaming trial. It's about difference between 2 sides.

Well I think it's both, but that's just me.
There aren't many underaged characters in it though. I think only problematic character is Ayane.

Top Bottom