• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Do we deserve a DMC 5 or DmC 2?

Reign

I can see I’ve indeed swerved a bit off topic in a sense, given how the original post was so closely regarding fan reactions more than the series’ actual direction. It’s just that a few pages in, the conversation really started leaning towards what directions fans wanted the series to go, and I felt THAT was a point of conversation I could contribute to.

To properly answer this time, @Reign, my apologies for misinterpreting your question, is that painting the entire fanbase in one color based on the feedback to DmC would be the worst thing Capcom, or anyone could really do.

I have some very strong opinions about the DMC fanbase at large, but treating the entire fanbase as one entity with the same opinions is not only quick and hasty, it’s also ignoring the diverse tastes of fans in the fanbase.

Not everyone blasted DmC for the same reasons. Some people hated the mechanics more than the story, or the simplified combos and ranking system, and the original version’s 30fps lock…all of which are perfectly-reasonable complaints, I might add. Some, not all, but some people were very rational about what they wanted, and criticized the reboot from some very understandable grounds.

Was the bulk of DmC’s reception juvenile, hypersensitive, and irrational beyond belief? In my experience, yes. But that doesn’t mean the WHOLE fanbase is like that….

That side of the Devil May Cry fanbase has existed FOREVER. People blasted Reuben as the new VA for Dante when 3 arrived, then people raged about 4 having a new protagonist that shouted the name of his love interest too often (yes, that’s actually a complaint leveled at the game as a whole), or even things like them porting 4 to the 360, which actually stirred a rage just as enraged and irrational as the reboot’s reception, purely because they were porting it to something other than a Sony console (which is ludicrous, as DMC3 was ported to PC a year after release. A port spoken about in the shadowy coils of nightmares, mind you, but a port nonetheless).

Not all fans in this community are the same. We have people that prefer the first game’s Dante, or the third game’s combat and weapons, or the fourth game’s slicker controls and improved camera, and yes….people that prefer the new Dante, and the new mechanics in the reboot. I fall in three of those categories, but wouldn’t dream of speaking for the whole fanbase, or even the majority. To deny or grant a DMC game based solely on the usual outcry from a fraction of the fanbase that I and many other people would NEVER associate ourselves doesn’t make a lick of sense. That’s punishing the entire classroom for the misconduct of a few students.

I didn’t send anyone death threats. I didn’t call Taneem and the rest of Ninja Theory hacks or every vile word in the English language over doing the job Capcom paid them for. I didn’t cry foul at them changing a character who, in my opinion, had been tarnished beyond recognition LONG before the decision to reboot the series even entered the mental framework of Capcom’s skulls.

Why should I get punished when I did none of those things? I LIKE both versions of the series, and have been rational about it. Why should I be denied outright to get a game when I’m willing to give it a chance?

The series deserves a new game regardless of which voice in the fanbase made the biggest fuss about the last one. The bulk of fans deserve that much.

TL;DR

All fluff and philosophy aside, Capcom loves money, and DMC makes them money, so they’ll make a new game whether fans deserve it or not.

(I just hope they make one set after 4, because that’s the universe with the more open-ended and unresolved questions).

I'm going to tell you something you may not know. I actually respect your passionate posts and thank you for telling me your reasoning. I was literally looking forward to your post in response to the OP the moment I saw you post. Just in case it wasn't clear, I don't, and will never mind you conversing with someone about what we're all here for. I enjoy seeing it and of course, I'd engage in it whenever I can. I didn't want you thinking any differently from whatever or whomever may try to make that happen.

I had to write this for clarity, I shouldn't have to again, so Z1 if you're reading this, you too are on no **** list of mine. I don't even keep anything like that, sounds disgusting, unhealthy, and unsanitary..ugh

Last edited:

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Was anyone expecting DMC4 SE? I generally don't think so, but that turned into a wonderful surprise. So like I said one time, DmC2 should come out because we all really wanna see how all that ends. DMC5 could happen because Capcom may want to take another crack at the "rule of cool."
Its not that we don't deserve it, its more like random surprises at this point.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I'm going to tell you something you may not know. I actually respect your passionate posts and thank you for telling me your reasoning. I was literally looking forward to your post in response to the OP the moment I saw you post. Just in case it wasn't clear, I don't, and will never mind you conversing with someone about what we're all here for. I enjoy seeing it and of course, I'd engage in it whenever I can. I didn't want you thinking any differently from whatever or whomever may try to make that happen

Likewise, and much appreciated. :D

Veloran

I thought the game kept a good balance between exposition and narrative flow, with Gabriel facing the harsh truth of the world and the Order with each Lord of Shadow he confronted, actually questioning his own morals and principles along the way. To me, that’s the transformation into Dracula that the writers were trying to establish, and I loved the way they did it.
I'm of the opinion that they botched the flow on multiple occasions. Firstly, in the exposition delivered by Zobek, which is often extreme purple prose and very heavy-handed. Secondly, there's Gabriel's character itself. For the vast majority of the game he hardly seems to emote, and all of his drive hardly comes across to the player because we never really see or know much of anything about, any part of his backstory, including the Order or the relationship with his wife.

His wife in particular, I didn't think it was possible to write something more sappy than Kyrie and Nero's romance, but boy did they nail that.

I’d at least offer the venture to agree that DMC tell not the same KIND of story, but take the same approach to the flow of its narrative, and the tone it was trying to achieve.
For myself, the tone and flow of the story often fell flat.

However, ironically I do think it could be a good idea for DMC to tell a similar sort of story. A Sparda game, for example, might share many basic similarities to Lords of Shadow's plot.

Very true. DMC4 did establish its locations relatively well, but I wouldn’t consider it on the same level of ambience of Lords of Shadow or even the first Devil May Cry. I’m not sure what it is, maybe it’s the emphasis on more epic music the deeper you plunged into Mundus’ Castle, or me being jaded from retreading the same locales in 4 simply draining my enthusiasm for the locales at all.
In an odd way, I think the settings in DMC4 suffered from the game having graphics which were too good.

Almost everything in 4 looked stellar, but it was all a bit too "clean". When I think back on 4, what most comes to mind are things like the packed Fortuna streets and back alleys, all the little rooms in the castle and that deep well you fall into, even that little mining village before Berial destroys it.

The thing that made Mallet so great was all the detail packed into everything. A lot of DMC4, particularly the forest, lacked that. Fortunately, RE7 at least shows that Capcom remembers how to do environmental detail.

You’re actually talking to someone who likes it when RE jumps the shark and becomes full-blown, nonsensical action.
Exactly, and like you say, the issue with RE6 is that absolutely everything is painted seriously all the time. Up to and including 4, and even a lot of 5, characters had a sense of humor, they could make light of things and quip or call out the crazy situations. Not all the time, but enough that everything wasn't so damn dour as in RE6.

The only difference is that DmC integrated its story in its gameplay,
This, to me, is the exact issue. The story in 3 and 4 was taken seriously, but in DmC it intrudes itself. There are CONSTANT cutscenes which interrupt gameplay, up to and including boss fights.

The difference is that in the Kamiya novel, it’s implied that Dante’s suffering from mild amnesiac illness,
Where is that implied? I had thought that he was just purposefully suppressing his past and trying to ignore it, and the ultimate climax is Dante accepting it and taking up his old name.

And honestly, I don’t see how shifting from revenge to justice even works in DMC3, seeing as how it’s stated in DMC1 that he started his demon hunting business expressly for revenge. If anything, that kind of growth happens in DMC1 where Dante shifts his motives to carrying out his father’s legacy as an enforcer of justice, when he sees Griffon get mercilessly executed by Mundus.
He did start it for revenge, and it changed to justice in 3. In 1 I don't think Dante's motives particularly shift at any point, though he's understandably upset at Mundus' actions his personal desires remain the same.

I don’t know where that happens in DMC3 or why it should, given everything the first game establishes. It’s “the importance of family” that’s revealed to Dante throughout 3, which I take extreme issue with given how that was established in the first game as his entire life’s pursuit from childhood.
I'm not sure that's true to DMC1, considering the novel was canon to it, and there Dante realized the importance of family through Nel and Grue and his family, and everything that happened therein. If DMC3 retconned elements of DMC1, it stands to reason that the novel already had prior.

He’s so powerful that no enemy intimidates him or forces him to work at getting stronger, or provide room for any development for him.
But again, the narrative at play and development that happens is practically never about Dante getting stronger.

There are characters in fiction like Alucard and Spawn who are extremely powerful, but still run into narrative dilemmas and threats even larger than them or by losing or winning in a way that didn’t give them the victory they were hoping for, to give them a chance to develop or provide insight to their character.
I'm not sure about Spawn, but Alucard is the exact narrative situation you're arguing against, and the Hellsing series overturned it's entire plot by having him return at the last moment.

….but he had something to lose. He expressed frustration or caution frequently whenever confronting someone like Nelo Angelo, who actually succeeded in overpowering him and catching him off-guard in their very first fight. He becomes desperate and hell-bent as soon as sacrifices like Vergil and Trish build up, and races after Mundus with the intent to bring his emotional investment to a close.
But Trish and Vergil "weren't something to lose", Dante doesn't go into the game ever thinking Vergil is at stake, and he doesn't comment on Vergil at all after their last fight. Later, he only forms a real connection to Trish after her apparent "death". Otherwise, I don't really see any frustration or caution on his part at any point. The entire opening of the game practically establishes that Dante is invincible and not concerned with threats.

DMC3 and the anime have NONE of that. The only place where the lack of it works is DMC4, and that’s only because he’s not the central protagonist of the game, so his carefree attitude and level of experience were not only less intrusive, but necessary for a story riding on someone as ill-equipped as Nero.
I'd argue that 3 does have that, and so does the anime, and 4 in a certain respect. For 3 Dante's loss of Vergil is the ultimate climax of the game, undercutting any triumph, while in the anime and 4 Dante's attitude is a plot element that actively causes things to get worse.

My problem is that the drama that ensues barely involves Dante, precisely because he has nothing to lose in any of it.
That's because the drama isn't based so much on Dante losing something tangible, but it's more like what's on the line is ideals, his own character, particularly later on.

It’s difficult to relate to someone that detached and “too-cool-to-care”, because if he has no reason to care, why should we?
From the very outset I don't think Dante was designed for reliability. Everything about Dante is being a larger than life figure, practically unfitting in the environments he's placed in. The fact that this is completely core to Dante's image is, I think, why they're very subtle with his actual character and development. The line to have both of these things at once is hard to tread.

I understand it doesn’t bother everyone, and I’m probably in the minority on this. But it’s something that consistently makes the story of these games seem extremely lacking, and takes all the personality of these characters and the narrative potential bursting from them and just throws it all to waste.
For what it's worth, I think that the next DMC game shouldn't have Dante as the sole protagonist, and should put him in a conflict that challenges both his ability and his character very directly. Unfortunately the only way I see to do this in a strong way is likely to be very unpopular. In fact I suspect you yourself would hate it.

Understandably so. And I take no issue with conflicting opinions, as long as people aren’t hostile about an opinion some deem to be unpopular. And personal experience with the worst of the DMC fanbase has taught me the scarcity of that mindset within the bowels of its rabid and infuriated whorls.
Personally I haven't seen any of what you describe.

You can give him new motives, something new to care about, something new and impossible to work for…with the right kind of creativity and thought that, frankly, Capcom doesn’t seem willing to implement.
In my opinion, Dante not having a new motivation is actually more interesting an internal conflict than just giving him a new drive. What they need to do is make that conflict explicit and bring it to the surface.

I’d be completely down with that. If they decided to actually home in and make that an integral element of the story, him moving on from the one thing that gave him a drive to fight demons in the first place, it could make for an excellent story arc in Dante’s career.

If you set it just after DMC1, just exploring the early days of him fighting alongside Trish, and give him a wayward mentality aimed at finding something new to fight for…it would make for a good side-story, or even a flashback for a future game.
On the contrary, I don't think it's something that should take place just after DMC1, or be a flashback in the future. Rather, it should be his central issue in a new game taking place after 2. And, arguably, it should be the last arc Dante goes through.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Well 1 and the novel kind of go off from each other. You can say that Vergil in the book was being controlled into his actions against Dante, or perhaps he willingly gave in to Mundus as a child, and then because of his failure Mundus stripped him of independent thought by the time of 1.

That's my theory as well as it's the only one that can possibly make sense.

Veloran

That's my theory as well as it's the only one that can possibly make sense.
Well, that's just what I think about the book in relation to 1, and it does work that way.

But with 3 in the equation, you'd need to remove Vergil's involvement entirely. Oddly enough I think everything else that happened is still valid, but Vergil's role would need to be replaced. Maybe with the demon who killed his mother taking a human guise or something, I don't know.

WolfOD64

I'm of the opinion that they botched the flow on multiple occasions. Firstly, in the exposition delivered by Zobek, which is often extreme purple prose and very heavy-handed. Secondly, there's Gabriel's character itself. For the vast majority of the game he hardly seems to emote, and all of his drive hardly comes across to the player because we never really see or know much of anything about, any part of his backstory, including the Order or the relationship with his wife.

I can agree with you on all of those points. Zobek’s nuclear exposition dump was not only awkward and jarring, but watching him deliver it through the hammy sweeping of his hands in his new, hooded form prevented me from watching it with a straight face.

As for Gabriel being less emotive, most of his emotions were described by the narrations between chapters, giving insight to all the thoughts running through his head, with him only occasionally vocalizing it in-game. The writers intended for him to be more expressive, but felt that someone as brooding and barbaric as him would be a man of few words.

I can see how it can come off as bland and one-note, and it certainly does in some instances, but it was never enough to sway me from the story, personally. I never found myself lacking in investment for him and the journey he was taking.

We do get snippets of backstory, and his relationship with Marie in the scrolls you pick up throughout the game. In fact, most of the best lore of the series for both games are in these scrolls.

Call it lazy if you will, and you can, but you’ll find just as many people rush to the defense of Dark Souls for doing the exact same method of storytelling. DMC1 and DMC4 even provided subtle nuggets of info through enemy logs and character descriptions.

Not my preferred method of world-building, but I’ve definitely seen far worse.

His wife in particular, I didn't think it was possible to write something more sappy than Kyrie and Nero's romance, but boy did they nail that.

Dear God, the cheese. The diabetes-inducing cheese. I like the romance, but it wasn’t handled with a thread of subtlety. Worse than Kyrie and Nero, though? I’m one of the starchiest defenders of that game and that romance you will ever find on these forums, and even I’ll admit that was far, far worse.

The dialogue between Gabriel and Marie occasionally amounted to something that benefited the narrative, especially in LoS2. Any time Nero and Kyrie open their mouths, it’s literally just to deliver romantic lines straight out of an anime.

It’s sappy as all hell, but for some inexplicable reason, I dig the romance in 4. I really shouldn’t, ESPECIALLY with how much of it reeks with what I’ve come to hate about this series….but I do.

However, ironically I do think it could be a good idea for DMC to tell a similar sort of story. A Sparda game, for example, might share many basic similarities to Lords of Shadow's plot.

You and many other people have been clamoring for a Sparda-centric game. I’ve always thought it would be a novel concept for a flashback, or even a playable section in future games.

In an odd way, I think the settings in DMC4 suffered from the game having graphics which were too good.

Almost everything in 4 looked stellar, but it was all a bit too "clean". When I think back on 4, what most comes to mind are things like the packed Fortuna streets and back alleys, all the little rooms in the castle and that deep well you fall into, even that little mining village before Berial destroys it.

I’ve often compared DMC4’s pristine visuals to a Final Fantasy game or Soulcalibur, because it really resembles those types of games. It’s not as dark as previous games, but honestly, given how most of the game is set in a populated haven like Fortuna, I can see the narrative impulse to make it more orderly and nice-looking.

The entity that owns both Fortuna Castle and the city built at foot of its snow-capped slopes aren’t demons, like Mallet Island or Teme-ni-gru. It’s the stronghold of an Order of knights, humans pledged to fighting demons. And if they’ve kept it active and dignified for centuries since Sparda’s supposed appearance in their home, it kind of clashes with the narrative to have it all mirky and wrought with cobwebs and atmosphere.

I think that was the whole point of Agnus’ dank and musty laboratory, to contrast with the lush city and stoic Order headquarters, because his operations and experiments are, by nature, “underground.” Not a single inhabitant civilian or even low-ranking members of the Order are aware it exists.

So there at least was narrative incentive to make the game so lush and vibrant. However, I would like to see them return to the darker roots of the past games’ locales, especially with the graphic fidelity that the MT Framework engine can offer.

The thing that made Mallet so great was all the detail packed into everything. A lot of DMC4, particularly the forest, lacked that. Fortunately, RE7 at least shows that Capcom remembers how to do environmental detail.

Mallet Island also looks the way it does because Team Little Devils actually visited castles in Europe to think practically about how the castle interiors should be designed. That’s another thing I think I like better than 3, whose locales seemed a bit over-designed and even nonsensical in some spots. The statues and interior decoration seemed like it was enforcing the “demonic” essence a bit too hard, to look more estranging and weird than sensible. With Mallet, you can see the developers’ Gothic inspirations and influences quite clearly, and to me, that’s more pleasing to look at.

But now I’m starting to sound like an architectural connoisseur.

Exactly, and like you say, the issue with RE6 is that absolutely everything is painted seriously all the time. Up to and including 4, and even a lot of 5, characters had a sense of humor, they could make light of things and quip or call out the crazy situations. Not all the time, but enough that everything wasn't so damn dour as in RE6.

RE5 sold itself like some crazy, 1980’s action B-movie. The two protagonists cut off from any reinforcements, engaging in cheesy monologues with the villains, Wesker’s whole world-domination scheme, and the whole corny-as-all-hell theme of “partners” and “camaraderie” to wedge its co-op component into the narrative…it worked beautifully for me, and made its nonsensical arcadey feel all the more authentic.

RE6 actually makes it so that the famed Mercenaries mode feels out of place with how aggressively-seriously it’s taking itself. And with how hard that game tanked, and with how Capcom seems to be really striving for modern survival-horror, I fear all chances of continuing the arcade essence of RE4-5 has been dropped.

Oh, well. I’ll always have 5.

This, to me, is the exact issue. The story in 3 and 4 was taken seriously, but in DmC it intrudes itself. There are CONSTANT cutscenes which interrupt gameplay, up to and including boss fights.

I never found the cutscene transition in DmC to be intrusive, mostly because it was to break for transitioning Dante from one area to another, or for him to do some kind of flip or dodge. Lords of Shadow transitioned to its cutscenes in a similar fashion to showcase Gabriel doing something like wrangling a giant bat-queen boss from the spires of a castle tower.

It worked for me, at least. If you can’t stand the reboot’s Dante, the constant interruptions to see him break out a one-liner (or slur) might be a grating exercise, I can imagine.

Where is that implied? I had thought that he was just purposefully suppressing his past and trying to ignore it, and the ultimate climax is Dante accepting it and taking up his old name.

I haven’t touched the novels in a while, but I remember encountering a pretty clear indication that his memory wasn’t completely intact. Recently, I remember another forum user actually confirmed it for me. Don’t remember which thread, though.

He did start it for revenge, and it changed to justice in 3. In 1 I don't think Dante's motives particularly shift at any point, though he's understandably upset at Mundus' actions his personal desires remain the same.

That’s kind of what I find strange about 3. He seems pretty revenge-driven at the beginning of 1, so I’d expect the original team of writers on the first game were alluding, with no prequel in mind, that he had been on this path from the day of Eva’s death.

This is why I take a bit of issue with 3, because the advent of it kind of grinds with a lot of what was established or implied in 1. Not direct retcons in every instance, mind you, but with resurgence of Vergil as a main character, and Dante’s personality and motives being radically different to how he is when he meets Trish, it just becomes harder to chew to even accept that all of this happened before the first game. Especially when something as emotionally-striking as Vergil’s death happens so close to the opening of the first game, and yet Dante places a larger emphasis on his mother’s passing when hunting Mundus.

It all comes off as a mountain of inconsistency that I don’t think the new writers were thinking about when squeezing it all in to a prequel to DMC1. To me, at least.

I'm not sure that's true to DMC1, considering the novel was canon to it, and there Dante realized the importance of family through Nel and Grue and his family, and everything that happened therein. If DMC3 retconned elements of DMC1, it stands to reason that the novel already had prior.

His revelation involving Nel and Grue I’d argue has more to do with him realizing his need to rely on other people instead of being so isolationist all the time. Throughout the novel’s beginning, he’s quite cold and non-reciprocating towards them, but it’s only as he starts to lose them to his enemies that he begins to appreciate them more. It’s something akin to DmC’s Dante developing an appreciation and investment in his new allies, instead of constantly relying on himself. That’s part of what gives the plot-point of Nell crafting Ebony and Ivory for Dante right before he dies, what gives emotional meaning to the phrase: “For Tony Redgrave.” It symbolizes his reliance on comrades he didn’t fully appreciate when he had the time to.

I never interpreted it as a realization for needing family. But that might just be me.

But again, the narrative at play and development that happens is practically never about Dante getting stronger.

When 99% of Devil May Cry is about Dante fighting demons, this is kind of the only area where his character can be explored. His investment in the fight is limited to it being another job, his interactions between characters outside of combat never amount to anything substantial…there’s not much else you can do with him.

Dante’s become so painfully one-note that even in combat, he isn’t exciting. And when he’s so detached from the narrative to even care, fulfilled his one notable motivation in a past game to eliminate emotional investment in his missions, and only trades one-liners with his allies instead of any intriguing or substantial character elements, combat is the only place the writers can do anything with him.

From every angle, the character’s too blunt and simplistic to push the story forward, which I’d be fine with if he wasn’t the main protagonist. Which is why DMC4 works so well, purely because he isn’t.

I'm not sure about Spawn, but Alucard is the exact narrative situation you're arguing against, and the Hellsing series overturned it's entire plot by having him return at the last moment.

Not quite.

Alucard’s main motivation for fighting, as many fans seem to easily misinterpret, is not simply to die to put an end to the mundanity of being all-powerful or living forever. Those things are inconsequential to him, because he doesn’t view them as real power. His main drive for fighting, the one basket he puts his emotional investment to give meaning and definition to his character is his urge to be killed by a human.

This urge comes from the fact that he wants to meet his ultimate match in the battlefield, a human who can best him with the frailty, imperfection, and wild inferiority to superpowered vampires…the same weaknesses that Professor Abraham Van Helsing demonstrated by besting him. So astounded was Alucard by this feat that his admiration for humanity skyrocketed. This was how he wanted to die, to have a living, breathing impossibility, a human with nothing but endurance and the perseverance of his own undying will to be the end as something as insurmountable as the Vampire King. This admiration for the Van Helsing is also why he’s mortified when Abraham ends up sparing him, and confining him to slavery for the family, instead of killing him like Alucard so desperately wanted. It’s why Alucard refers to humans as magnificent, why he wears Van Helsing’s red, Victorian attire throughout all his escapades (in addition to showcase the irony of him assuming Van Helsing’s role, as a hunter of Midian). And most importantly, that’s why he’s so disgusted with Anderson abandoning his last fragments of humanity to become a Scrap of Miracle, because it stomps on everything he valued in Anderson as an adversary, as the first person he could call a rival in over a century’s worth of combat. And finally, it’s the reason he comes back…because he wasn’t defeated by a human, but by vampire occultists like the Major and Millenium. Hell, the whole reason he appears at Integra’s door at the very end and resumes his places as the family servant is precisely because, as he stated over Anderson’s disintegrating corpse, his mission hasn’t been fulfilled, and he hasn’t met his human match on the battlefield yet.

It’s really deep, really well-written asset to Alucard’s character that, frankly, I would never dream of categorizing in the same bland, one-note lack of intriguing character traits that consists of Dante’s modern characterization.

I like Devil May Cry, but it is nowhere near Hellsing’s level of story, characters, and concepts. Not by a stray shot.

But Trish and Vergil "weren't something to lose", Dante doesn't go into the game ever thinking Vergil is at stake, and he doesn't comment on Vergil at all after their last fight. Later, he only forms a real connection to Trish after her apparent "death". Otherwise, I don't really see any frustration or caution on his part at any point. The entire opening of the game practically establishes that Dante is invincible and not concerned with threats.

Trish and Vergil’s “deaths” were more additions to the emotional pyre that served as Dante’s building urgency to pursue Mundus. It wasn’t enough that Mundus had to steal his mother, but he used his brother against him, and sent a demon assassin after him in the guise of his mother’s face precisely to irk him.

While not explicitly implied, these were all things that were basting Dante’s drive in a lot of ways, and acting as more recent and vibrant fuel to pursue Mundus instead of just the obvious one, being his mother’s death.

A lot of the more emotional moments in the game happen through implication, through the player understanding what’s going in Dante’s head, without the cutscenes explicitly homing in on it. A good example is the presence of voices in Dante’s head right after he kills Nelo Angelo, and is holding the amulet.

Any fan will tell you how much that probably fueled Dante to go after Mundus even more. And while Dante is invincible, he’s still shown to be susceptible to being overpowered. The first confrontation with Nelo Angelo is proof of that.

I'd argue that 3 does have that, and so does the anime, and 4 in a certain respect. For 3 Dante's loss of Vergil is the ultimate climax of the game, undercutting any triumph, while in the anime and 4 Dante's attitude is a plot element that actively causes things to get worse.

Meh. I’m not a fan of 3 for literally ANY of the emotional moments to do anything for me, but I can understand fans of the game encountering that kind of emotional response from Vergil’s death. Of course, that ending is yet one more example of why I find it hard to empathize with Dante, when he’s shedding tears over Vergil’s death, then engaging in gleeful combat with demons literally seconds later.

I’m sure it symbolizes the permanation of Dante’s carefree love of fighting, or whatever…but that just was just too jarring for me to even remotely consider the “climax” of the game to have any real weight to it.

As for Dante’s attitude making things worse in the anime and 4, I’m actually curious as to what you mean by that. The only time I’ve seen Dante’s attitude actually being acknowledged by the plot as a legit problem is DmC.

That's because the drama isn't based so much on Dante losing something tangible, but it's more like what's on the line is ideals, his own character, particularly later on.

If his drama as a character is enforcing his ideals, the writing sure hasn’t been effective in providing challenges to him in that area. Not a single character has challenged his personality or ideals outside of Vergil, and even he didn’t really challenge them outside of criticizing his lack of ambition. His cockiness, his love of fighting, his principles regarding humanity…none of that is ever countered or rebuked by a single person he fights.

Emotionally, psychologically…Dante hasn’t struggled at all to create any worthwhile investment in him as a character. I can’t think of a single instance in the anime or in 4, where some part of his character or emotions was threatened or gnawed at to satisfy any kind of tension or narrative intrigue.

It’s literally getting to the point where Dante taking the fight seriously, and expressing anything outside of overconfidence through brash one-liners is becoming so scarce, it almost seems like the one emotional asset he has as a character.

That is the TEXT-BOOK definition of being one-note. It’s the complete opposite of how any human character acts, which is ironic considering he’s supposed to be the human one of the two Sparda Twins.

From the very outset I don't think Dante was designed for reliability. Everything about Dante is being a larger than life figure, practically unfitting in the environments he's placed in.

Exactly. Dante isn’t relatable…

…which is why I take issue with the plot trying to take itself SERIOUSLY. If he’s not relatable, and he really is to overblown and larger-than-life for anyone to seriously and emotionally-invest in (that’s what relating means, by a very literary standard), than Capcom shouldn’t be trying for drama through these uber-serious, rain-smattered confrontations in both 3 and the anime, and attempting to paint the fights and demonic threats as something other than an excuse for overproduced choreography and fight scenes. It’s for this reason that I’m so infuriated with the amount of wasted potential in the performances VA’s like Langdon and Southworth are providing, and the personality oozing from the characters and their designs. It’s a complete waste, that can be salvaged into something better if they just did it properly.

If it was some balls-out nonsense like No More Heroes or Bayonetta, you wouldn’t hear a peep from me. But considering the time and effort that Capcom is clearly taking to make the story a serious focus of the games, it will never be something I never critique as seriously as I do other games.

They stepped up their game in every other department, except for the one that really mattered.

For what it's worth, I think that the next DMC game shouldn't have Dante as the sole protagonist, and should put him in a conflict that challenges both his ability and his character very directly. Unfortunately the only way I see to do this in a strong way is likely to be very unpopular. In fact I suspect you yourself would hate it.

The day a writer successfully manages to deconstruct or challenge Dante in any meaningful, emotional way is the day he finally sees some measure of development. I have no reason to object to this, but as of DMC4 and the anime, it seems that Capcom is reluctant to even try it.

I would love it if they tried it….but they probably won’t.

Personally I haven't seen any of what you describe.

Then I envy you for not enduring the circles of up-turned noses and rabid obsession that comprised of the majority of fans I’ve dealt with, and almost succeeded in making me quit this fanbase and this series for good.

If you never have to deal with them, you’ll be far luckier than I’ve been.

In my opinion, Dante not having a new motivation is actually more interesting an internal conflict than just giving him a new drive. What they need to do is make that conflict explicit and bring it to the surface.

Unless they confront Dante for having no motivation somewhere in the story, and it has something to do with this elusive conflict you make mention of, I don’t see what purpose that could serve to fleshing him out more. Without a necessary drive that justifies him fighting the next threat he faces, he’s basically rendered a living, walking well of superpowers that fights the main threat simply because he can, not because he has any other personal reason to.

It would be more interesting if other characters caught wind of the conflict in Dante, and made it a larger emphasis of the story. Then FINALLY these pain-stakingly motion-captured cutscenes could amount to something.

But this all implies Capcom has a single competent member in their writing staff. We’re basically adding items on a menu for a restaurant with chefs that can’t even cook.

On the contrary, I don't think it's something that should take place just after DMC1, or be a flashback in the future. Rather, it should be his central issue in a new game taking place after 2. And, arguably, it should be the last arc Dante goes through.

I’ve always theorized that Dante’s long-awaited descent into the Underworld may uncover some answers about Sparda, given how the bulk of demonkind know and revere Sparda through reputation and legend.

If story-related info on Sparda and that Earth-shattering Demon War we always hear about are lying anywhere, it’d be down there.

I always felt those two pupils of Sparda from the anime series was one of the most agonizing, missed opportunities to aluminate some of the mysteries around him, being people who knew and trained under him personally…but instead, managed to succeed in doing what EVERY Devil May Cry plot has managed to do since the third game:

Raise more questions, and answer none of them.

Veloran

I can agree with you on all of those points. Zobek’s nuclear exposition dump was not only awkward and jarring, but watching him deliver it through the hammy sweeping of his hands in his new, hooded form prevented me from watching it with a straight face.
Well, yes, but I was thinking of the book segments that pop up seemingly every single loading screen.

As for Gabriel being less emotive, most of his emotions were described by the narrations between chapters, giving insight to all the thoughts running through his head, with him only occasionally vocalizing it in-game.
Exactly what I mean.

It's a bit odd given that it sort of leads us to believe that he emotes all the time, just not on screen. He sort of gave me DMC2 Dante flashbacks.

Dear God, the cheese. The diabetes-inducing cheese. I like the romance, but it wasn’t handled with a thread of subtlety. Worse than Kyrie and Nero, though?
I mean, they at least don't refer to each other as "my love".

You and many other people have been clamoring for a Sparda-centric game. I’ve always thought it would be a novel concept for a flashback, or even a playable section in future games.
Possibly. All I'm saying on that front that narratively, a Sparda game and LoS would share quite a few similarities.

The entity that owns both Fortuna Castle and the city built at foot of its snow-capped slopes aren’t demons, like Mallet Island or Teme-ni-gru. It’s the stronghold of an Order of knights, humans pledged to fighting demons. And if they’ve kept it active and dignified for centuries since Sparda’s supposed appearance in their home, it kind of clashes with the narrative to have it all mirky and wrought with cobwebs and atmosphere.

I think that was the whole point of Agnus’ dank and musty laboratory, to contrast with the lush city and stoic Order headquarters, because his operations and experiments are, by nature, “underground.” Not a single inhabitant civilian or even low-ranking members of the Order are aware it exists.
Yes, though I think there were ways to have improved it. Say perhaps Dante enters the city from a different route Nero left and traverses the slums, showing the town has a dark side under the Order's rule. But more importantly I think the game would have benefitted greatly from the catacombs housing Yamato to have been expanded into an entire level.

I never found the cutscene transition in DmC to be intrusive, mostly because it was to break for transitioning Dante from one area to another, or for him to do some kind of flip or dodge. Lords of Shadow transitioned to its cutscenes in a similar fashion to showcase Gabriel doing something like wrangling a giant bat-queen boss from the spires of a castle tower.
That was one of the things I hated most about LoS as well, but in DmC it's really egregious. Enemy introductions, boss fight phase transitions, platforming transitions, room transitions, walk and talk segments, gameplay is interrupted seemingly every few minutes, and that's not counting when there's just ambient dialog.

It's so drastic that depending on how people tally the "movie", it can range from like one and a half hours to almost three and a half hours.

I haven’t touched the novels in a while, but I remember encountering a pretty clear indication that his memory wasn’t completely intact. Recently, I remember another forum user actually confirmed it for me. Don’t remember which thread, though.
I remember there were issues, but that it was more deliberate memory suppression than memory loss.

That’s kind of what I find strange about 3. He seems pretty revenge-driven at the beginning of 1, so I’d expect the original team of writers on the first game were alluding, with no prequel in mind, that he had been on this path from the day of Eva’s death.

This is why I take a bit of issue with 3, because the advent of it kind of grinds with a lot of what was established or implied in 1. Not direct retcons in every instance, mind you, but with resurgence of Vergil as a main character, and Dante’s personality and motives being radically different to how he is when he meets Trish, it just becomes harder to chew to even accept that all of this happened before the first game.
Dante at the end of 3 is pretty similar to the beginning of 1, just a bit less hotheaded. I never felt like he had much of a revenge inclination per-say, more like retribution.

Especially when something as emotionally-striking as Vergil’s death happens so close to the opening of the first game, and yet Dante places a larger emphasis on his mother’s passing when hunting Mundus.
You do know that ten whole years pass between 3 and 1, right?

His revelation involving Nel and Grue I’d argue has more to do with him realizing his need to rely on other people instead of being so isolationist all the time. Throughout the novel’s beginning, he’s quite cold and non-reciprocating towards them, but it’s only as he starts to lose them to his enemies that he begins to appreciate them more.
That's very strange, because my interpretation was the exact opposite.

At the beginning of the book he's already known Nel and Grue for some time, with Nel sort of being his surrogate mother and Grue's family similarly being a surrogate for his own. But over the course of the book all of them suffer due to being connected to him, Grue and one of his daughters whom Dante was close to dies, and Nel is murdered. Even all of Dante's friends at Bobby's Cellar are killed. This is all what drives him to seek justice against Mundus for the sake of the families he's lost and stop hiding from his name, but at the same time it drives him away from other people and leaves him alone.

When 99% of Devil May Cry is about Dante fighting demons, this is kind of the only area where his character can be explored. His investment in the fight is limited to it being another job, his interactions between characters outside of combat never amount to anything substantial…there’s not much else you can do with him.

Dante’s become so painfully one-note that even in combat, he isn’t exciting. And when he’s so detached from the narrative to even care, fulfilled his one notable motivation in a past game to eliminate emotional investment in his missions, and only trades one-liners with his allies instead of any intriguing or substantial character elements, combat is the only place the writers can do anything with him.

From every angle, the character’s too blunt and simplistic to push the story forward, which I’d be fine with if he wasn’t the main protagonist.
I disagree with you on practically every single one of those points, and I've outlined why multiple times, but very specifically I don't think that any part of Dante's story should ever involve a direct desire to grow stronger.

A drive to acquire more power is, in fact, Vergil's thing. A story where Dante needs to power up to overcome a threat is practically antithetical to his character, because one of the core messages reiterated time and again in DMC is that the power to fight is inferior to the resolve of one's spirit.

Of course, as I bring up later, this is okay if that is the point.

Hell, the whole reason he appears at Integra’s door at the very end and resumes his places as the family servant is precisely because, as he stated over Anderson’s disintegrating corpse, his mission hasn’t been fulfilled, and he hasn’t met his human match on the battlefield yet.
And yet all of Alucard's actions contradict this. He slaughters humans offhandedly, with no respect given or effort put forth, whenever they challenge him. He doesn't even have much of a reason to respect Anderson, given that he's not really human either. The fact that he was outwitted and defeated by the plan of a human should have been enough for Alucard, given that there is absolutely no way any human could ever even come close to beating him any other way.

I like Devil May Cry, but it is nowhere near Hellsing’s level of story, characters, and concepts. Not by a stray shot.
I like Hellsing as well, but it's not exactly comparable in that way.

Trish and Vergil’s “deaths” were more additions to the emotional pyre that served as Dante’s building urgency to pursue Mundus. It wasn’t enough that Mundus had to steal his mother, but he used his brother against him, and sent a demon assassin after him in the guise of his mother’s face precisely to irk him.
I wouldn't say that's so much an urgency or threat type as thing so much as it is an intensity sort of thing.

A lot of the more emotional moments in the game happen through implication, through the player understanding what’s going in Dante’s head, without the cutscenes explicitly homing in on it.
Wait a second, why is it okay to make inferences for DMC1 but when someone does anything similar for DMC3 it's just "reaching" and "headcanon"?

Of course, that ending is yet one more example of why I find it hard to empathize with Dante, when he’s shedding tears over Vergil’s death, then engaging in gleeful combat with demons literally seconds later.
It didn't occur to you that the "gleeful combat" at the end of the game was in fact Dante using the fight as an outlet to deal with his feelings?

When he says "I love this! This is what I live for!", he is either lying outright, lying to himself, or just plain taking refuge in physical, adrenaline-pumping thrill of it in order to keep functioning. The entire thing was anything but gleeful, in fact it's practically tragic.

As for Dante’s attitude making things worse in the anime and 4, I’m actually curious as to what you mean by that.
In the anime, Dante's lethargic attitude is what pushes the whole climax of the story to happen. He had multiple chances to end Sid's plot, but in the end he allows it to go through. Either because he was desperate for some kind of action, or, and I think much more likely, he was practically suicidal and was looking for something to kill him. Possibly BOTH, really. Whatever the case, he neglects to deal with the problem until it finally erupts, which ends up getting a lot of people killed.

In 4, his attitude sort of follows. When it shows that he can't avoid getting involved, he's suddenly eager to go to Fortuna and tries to end the threat of the Order immediately by cutting off it's head. When Nero gets involved and things get more complicated, he then prioritizes closing all the Demon gates and tells Trish to keep as many people safe as possible. Simultaneously Trish, who understands Dante just about better than anybody, intentionally took Sparda and used it to try to escalate the situation, because she knows that Dante is exceedingly bad at keeping himself together without some kind of crisis on his hands.

But again, all of this ends up getting people hurt, and Dante's attitude develops into 2, where he's almost actively avoiding any kind of excitement and is solely out to do his job. Unfortunately it goes badly anyway, and again an entire city basically implodes, at which point he decides to just stay in the Underworld.

If his drama as a character is enforcing his ideals, the writing sure hasn’t been effective in providing challenges to him in that area. Not a single character has challenged his personality or ideals outside of Vergil, and even he didn’t really challenge them outside of criticizing his lack of ambition. His cockiness, his love of fighting, his principles regarding humanity…none of that is ever countered or rebuked by a single person he fights.
Because what's challenging Dante's character isn't so much any one person, it's Dante himself. He believes that the strength of the human spirit is strong and worthy, but consistently, throughout the entire series, what has brought him victory has been his own power, and he's seen humanity fail time and again. Hell, three-fourths of the series' villains have been humans corrupted by their own desires. Even Nero, with a strong human heart and drive, failed because he was too weak, and needed to be saved by Dante.

The drama to Dante's character is that he himself is a walking contradiction to his own ideals, as is his father Sparda.

Exactly. Dante isn’t relatable…
If you read on, you'll note that I said Dante is intended to both not be relatable, in terms of his design and persona, but also still be relatable in terms of his core character as someone who is forced to accept his heritage and live up to his family legacy, even if it means going against members of that same family. I think it's like this specifically so different people can enjoy the story on different levels.

I mean, just think about Agnus Redux from 4. On the one hand it's some kind of absurdist comedy skit with the characters in a play for no reason. On the other, under all the flash, what the characters are actually talking about are things like the frailty of the human condition and the corruptive influence of power as Dante seeks to reclaim the weapon of his fallen brother.

I should think you would understand this dualistic nature of the story, considering the entire premise of the plot is a man who is half Human, half Demon, and the novel which you've often professed to like explicitly states that Dante's entire boisterous personality is almost entirely a coping mechanism he invented to serve as a mask for his true feelings.

The day a writer successfully manages to deconstruct or challenge Dante in any meaningful, emotional way is the day he finally sees some measure of development. I have no reason to object to this, but as of DMC4 and the anime, it seems that Capcom is reluctant to even try it.
Again, I think there is a very good way they could do this, but it's so risky that I'm afraid they wouldn't chance it.

Unless they confront Dante for having no motivation somewhere in the story,

On a slightly more serious side note, basically every character surrounding Dante calls him out for being an unmotivated, uncaring idiot constantly. That's effectively Lady's entire role.

I’ve always theorized that Dante’s long-awaited descent into the Underworld may uncover some answers about Sparda, given how the bulk of demonkind know and revere Sparda through reputation and legend.
And that's sort of the route I was thinking of as well. When 5 happens, and if Dante plays a larger role, Sparda should be absolutely central to the story.

Specifically, Sparda should be the antagonist.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
It didn't occur to you that the "gleeful combat" at the end of the game was in fact Dante using the fight as an outlet to deal with his feelings?

When he says "I love this! This is what I live for!", he is either lying outright, lying to himself, or just plain taking refuge in physical, adrenaline-pumping thrill of it in order to keep functioning. The entire thing was anything but gleeful, in fact it's practically tragic.

Indeed, he was shown to shy away from showing his feelings openly to Lady, trying to play stoic and badass, despite clearly getting emotional in that moment. Something that I thought was much better than the now infamous voice crack in the first game btw.

If anything, I would say that the kind of connection breaking attitude Wolf described applies more to the scene in DMC4 after Credo's death or heck, even the butt grab scene after the fight against Vergil in DmC.

I mean, just think about Agnus Redux from 4. On the one hand it's some kind of absurdist comedy skit with the characters in a play for no reason. On the other, under all the flash, what the characters are actually talking about are things like the frailty of the human condition and the corruptive influence of power as Dante seeks to reclaim the weapon of his fallen brother.

Kudos to you for being one of the people who understood that scene and caught its meaning. I thought it was a brilliant way to convey a message through comedy.

But he's confirmed dead.

Last edited:

Viper

Premium
But he's confirmed dead.
Only in the first game, after that they just marked him as vanished, except for that one scene with Arkham in the manga, when he says how embracing humanity made him die as human. Given that Arkham never actually met Sparda, and to our knowledge all his info comes from books and questionable sources, that can be just presumption.

Viper

Premium
And does that not count? That was an "external" info dump not narrated by any character so it's like, the ultimate confirmation, so to speak.
I meant, in the intro of the first game his death was clearly confirmed, all of the following material only gave his status as missing, he went poof at some point, not necessarily dead.
Given they changed the story a little bit so that Dante had met his brother in between 20 years that have passed, it's hard to say what truly is Sparda's status, and not like it's that hard to bring him back anyway.

Veloran

But he's confirmed dead.
Yes, and that's one of a number of reasons why it's a risky thing to do. However, I think the positives could outweigh the negatives.

First of all, Dante is basically unmatched by anything else in the universe at this point, and anything else that isn't Sparda that could challenge him would need to come out of nowhere. And while they have said Dante has surpassed his father, that could be taken as an erroneous claim based on how far into legend Sparda's exploits have faded.

Secondly, why would he be an antagonist? I think the obvious reason would be that over the ages, he began to doubt his decision to save humanity after witnessing their behavior. Eventually he stepped back from trying to rule them and instead had a family with a woman he loved. At that point, you could explain his disappearance by applying something that happened to the alternate Sparda from the DMC2 novel - He left his family to fufill some important task, but was betrayed by humans, who sealed him away in the Demon world for their own gain. The end of DMC2, where the demonic portal opens despite the ritual required to unlock it being incomplete, was in fact Sparda's attempt to escape, and The Despair Embodied was in fact Sparda's own despair at his betrayal and the loss of his wife given physical form. Having lost faith he decides to merge the two worlds, and the overall point of the game is to stop him.

There's a lot you could do with a setup like that, both with the characters and the game itself, since obviously it would be set in the demonic world. All three main protagonists, Nero, Vergil, and Dante, would be rocked on every level from such a thing.

First, Nero would finally learn about his heritage, and come face to face with the Savior the Order had always preached about. He'd also have to deal with Vergil, at some point coming to learn the truth about their relationship.

For Vergil's part, he could do a lot with facing his past sins, and once Sparda was revealed he'd be faced with some tough realities. Namely, that the father he idolized is back and may not live up to the image, and ultimately he would be forced to choose between joining his father, or abandoning his own son in the same way he was abandoned. Given that this is the Underworld there's things you could also do with him facing his mother, or even the image of Nelo Angelo, things like that.

Dante, the whole situation is like the antithesis of everything he's ever believed in. In fact it's so bad, that I think it would be ample justification for Dante himself to serve as an antagonistic force for the first three-fifths of the game, bringing back the idea of him losing control of his Devil Trigger and going on a rampage, before finally Vergil and Nero's involvement causes him to trigger back. The final climax would be Dante against his own father, having to come to terms with the fact that his ideals are flawed even while trying to beat some sense into his dad.

Both narratively and with gameplay, the possibilities with something like this are almost infinite. From the very outset, the setup opens the possibility for a frankly unprecedented number of rival fights. I mean you've got seven+ levels of hell to traipse through, with each character having issues with specific circles. Don't tell me that Vergil wouldn't have to deal with his Gluttony, Greed, and Lust for power while in those circles, or that a mad Majin-Dante wouldn't be a perfect antagonist throughout Heresy and the perfect end boss for Violence, at which point you could have the big Sparda reveal in Fraud, and an ultimate final confrontation in Treachery.

Seeing as there's no heaven in Devil May Cry, you could even double or triple up the themes by including elements from Paradise and Purgatory as well.

Perhaps this is all a little heavy handed, but I think it's about time Devil May Cry finally did the whole Divine Comedy thing. Particularly at this juncture, given that the Divine Comedy is effectively a story about redemption in all it's forms, the game would focus on characters being redeemed, and the series itself is in a dire need of a redemption at this point.

Last edited:

WolfOD64

Well, yes, but I was thinking of the book segments that pop up seemingly every single loading screen.

I actually really dig the book segments between chapters, because they essentially save all of Gabriel’s emoting and mental processing for off-screen, almost to give the player something to contemplate at the start of each level while they’re traversing platforms and exploring the vast scenery…to let everything going on in Gabriel’s head really sink into the player through gameplay, rather than cutscenes.

The only part of them I didn’t care for was the constant hammering of “Gabriel rescuing his love” over and over again, as if to constantly remind the player what the protagonist’s objective is in case they had forgotten in a span of a few minutes of playtime.

It kind of reminded me of those awful forced Codec portions of the Metal Gear games, albeit far shorter and less fatally-tedious. Also, LoS had the benefit of Royal Shakespeare Company legend Sir Patrick Stewart than whatever B-list voice actors made up the Metal Gear cast, and that gravely ear-poison that was David Hayter’s voice.

It's a bit odd given that it sort of leads us to believe that he emotes all the time, just not on screen. He sort of gave me DMC2 Dante flashbacks.

Except, I would argue that we actually knew what was going on in Gabriel’s head to suffice for him not emoting constantly on-screen. We have SOME idea of what he’s feeling, as opposed to the lack of, really anything to explain Dante’s behavior in 2, much less the absence of Trish, who was very much an established character by then.

Gabriel’s a man of few words, with the insight into his emotions actually PROVIDED somewhere. DMC2 Dante is a walking enigma.

I mean, they at least don't refer to each other as "my love".

Meh, I can believe a medieval couple in 1087 AD talking in the rigid dialogue of a Shakespearean tragedy, so it never shattered immersion for me.

And compared to the exchanges between Nero and Kyrie, I don’t find myself wanting to plunge a steel rod in my ears quite as often. Just how many times do they like hearing each other’s names, exactly?

Yes, though I think there were ways to have improved it. Say perhaps Dante enters the city from a different route Nero left and traverses the slums, showing the town has a dark side under the Order's rule. But more importantly I think the game would have benefitted greatly from the catacombs housing Yamato to have been expanded into an entire level.

I never put that much thought into the environments for DMC4, mostly because it was obvious that the devs didn’t put the same kind of thought Team Little Devils put into Mallet Island. They weren’t going for ambience so much as pristine production value, which I’ll certainly concede that they succeeded.

That was one of the things I hated most about LoS as well, but in DmC it's really egregious. Enemy introductions, boss fight phase transitions, platforming transitions, room transitions, walk and talk segments, gameplay is interrupted seemingly every few minutes, and that's not counting when there's just ambient dialog.

It’s down to personal preference. Again, I’m desensitized by the cinematic orgy that is the Yakuza series, which switches to cutscenes in combat with a breathless frequency, and that’s in every fight in the game. You really have to have the stomach for that kind of thing.

I remember there were issues, but that it was more deliberate memory suppression than memory loss.

Whatever the specifics may be, it boiled down to some form of memory fragmentation, which I can say is a reasonable narrative justifier for Dante being more detached or “forgetting about the meaning of family”…

…which I would argue he doesn’t, but that’s another discussion.

Dante at the end of 3 is pretty similar to the beginning of 1, just a bit less hotheaded. I never felt like he had much of a revenge inclination per-say, more like retribution.

I can’t say I really agree. DMC1 Dante was not in the same league of hot-blooded cockiness as DMC3, and the way he was acting at the end of 3, especially with the entire fight scene following Vergil’s death, is not like the former’s personality at all.

At the start of DMC1, we see him start his confrontation with Trish in a laid-back and arrogant fashion, but he quickly shows spikes of caution, before actually getting serious, and even prepared to kill Trish.

He stops clinging to one-liners long enough to act serious, for the sake of the confrontation at hand. THAT is the primary difference between the two in-game portrayals. DMC3 Dante could rarely or never drop the hyperactive man-child persona to match the seriousness of the situation, even intrusively dragging puns and one-liners in what should be more serious confrontations.

It’s like that cringey scene of Starlord dancing with the main villain in the climax of Guardians of the Galaxy. The writers can’t suppress their urge to drop the gimmick they’ve assigned to the character to adjust his behavior to match the situation he’s in.

It’s the one thing I hate about modern portrayals of Dante the most. In a lot of ways, it’s gotten better in 4, where he wasn’t playing a serious role in a story where he wasn’t the central protagonist, but it’s one of the reasons I’m dreading the possibility of him returning for a sequel.

You do know that ten whole years pass between 3 and 1, right?

I believe you’re mistaken. It’s ten years between DMC3 and 4, with Dante being 19 in the former and 29-30 in the latter.

The whole point of DMC3, or at least it was my impression, was to set up DMC1’s beginning through the events of DMC3.

That's very strange, because my interpretation was the exact opposite. At the beginning of the book he's already known Nel and Grue for some time, with Nel sort of being his surrogate mother and Grue's family similarly being a surrogate for his own. But over the course of the book all of them suffer due to being connected to him, Grue and one of his daughters whom Dante was close to dies, and Nel is murdered. Even all of Dante's friends at Bobby's Cellar are killed. This is all what drives him to seek justice against Mundus for the sake of the families he's lost and stop hiding from his name, but at the same time it drives him away from other people and leaves him alone.

Again, I would call that striving for fallen comrades than any kind of symbolic familial attachment of any sort, especially when Dante’s interactions with Nel don’t really enforce the whole “surrogate mother” thing that you’re referring to.

Oh, well. We’re free to interpret it any way we wish. It’s not like it has any canon bearing on the current story in any way.

I disagree with you on practically every single one of those points, and I've outlined why multiple times, but very specifically I don't think that any part of Dante's story should ever involve a direct desire to grow stronger.

A drive to acquire more power is, in fact, Vergil's thing. A story where Dante needs to power up to overcome a threat is practically antithetical to his character, because one of the core messages reiterated time and again in DMC is that the power to fight is inferior to the resolve of one's spirit.

I think maybe we’re running into a bit of a crossroads of misunderstanding here. I never implied that Dante’s motives should rely on becoming more powerful, purely for the sake of getting stronger. I was more implying the notion that him actually working towards getting stronger, enduring training and mental obstacles, could flesh him out a bit. Instead of just having each victory handed to him on a silver platter, have him work for it.

Have him try. Have him fail. Have him fall. Have him rise.

These mental and emotional traversals are exactly what fleshing out a character, especially a warrior, come about from. It’s built up some of the most memorable characters in fiction, and is a struggle that is identifiable and relatable for us as the audience, even if he’s superhuman to the point of absurdity. That one strand of human nature, to work or to strive for something, is a universal principle that can be injected in any story, given that the writer is willing to equip the character with a few mental or physical setback, or here’s another idea….actual flaws.

And I’m not talking mild, inconsequential flaws, like Dante being lazy, or being bad at gambling, or being insufferably cocky around the office when people are talking to him, because those flaws never play seriously into his struggle as a character, or are used for anything outside of comedic value.

Part of Dante’s issue as a Gary Stu is that in addition to being overpowered beyond the point of weeping hilarity, he’s also too perfect and immune to fallacy that he basically renders the plot meaningless. He doesn’t have any personal obstacles that ever hinder him during battle to be significant or provoke any emotional value in the plot.

He’s been written into a state of bland, predictable, ultra-perfect mundanity that the plot can basically do nothing with him.

And if there’s one thing that, in my personal opinion, the reboot did well enough despite the rest of its narrative shortcomings, it was at succeeding at giving Dante both imperfections and a personal, relatable struggle.

And yet all of Alucard's actions contradict this. He slaughters humans offhandedly, with no respect given or effort put forth, whenever they challenge him. He doesn't even have much of a reason to respect Anderson, given that he's not really human either. The fact that he was outwitted and defeated by the plan of a human should have been enough for Alucard, given that there is absolutely no way any human could ever even come close to beating him any other way.

Alucard doesn’t view all humans on the same level, only the ones he feels pose a challenge to him or embody the values he admires so much. The entire scene with the human SWAT team in Rio was a perfect example of this, where he explicitly told them that “it takes a [proper] man to kill a monster”, and obliterates them with the lack of dignity he reserves for the rest of his prey.

This also ties directly into Anderson, whom he doesn’t come to respect until their confrontation on the streets of London. Prior to that, he was just another interesting chew toy flung at him by Integra’s enemies, no more or less. It’s only when Anderson started to push himself to his limits, falling apart by flesh and bone through Alucard’s mass of undead familiars, that Alucard truly starts to admire his surprisingly-human and endearing qualities for a bio-engineered holy weapon. He even starts comparing the Judas Priests’ maddened drive and relentless failure to acknowledge his own pain or staggering to “those men from back then, at that time”, where he mentally flashes to Van Helsing and his bold, ill-equipped, hopelessly outmatched band of underdog Vampire Hunters. He sees their same admirable and endearing qualities in Anderson.

And no, a human has defeated Alucard….Van Helsing did, and quite spectacularly, back in 1899 in the Carpathian Mountain Range (referring to the Bram Stoker Novel, which is very much canon to Hellsing, apart from its ending). So much so, that it was enough to win Alucard’s respect for humans like him and his descendants, not humans as a whole.

I like Hellsing as well, but it's not exactly comparable in that way.

Given how both Hellsing and Devil May Cry deal with ultra-powerful protagonists written to be similarly God-tier entities of insurmountable power, I felt it was a worthy comparison, especially how one demonstrates how to write such a character properly, and make it work in the confines of the narrative.

In the ocean of overpowered and absurdly-written characters in anime, video games, and the bulk of Japanese entertainment at large, Hellsing is one of the scarce examples of a story doing it correctly, effectively, and believably.

I wouldn't say that's so much an urgency or threat type as thing so much as it is an intensity sort of thing.

I agree, you worded it better: It’s an intensity that fuels his emotions to some believable degree, which is the most, I’d argue, that Dante has ever received in the original canon.

Wait a second, why is it okay to make inferences for DMC1 but when someone does anything similar for DMC3 it's just "reaching" and "headcanon"?

Because unlike the cauldron of bubbling, rancid theories and baseless claims surrounding Vergil’s motives and Dante’s emotions in DMC3, there’s an actual basis in the story of the first Devil May Cry to make these things believable, and less far-fetched.

Nothing I stated as what I believe for Dante’s emotions in that scene are explicitly factual, and can be dismissed as non-canon under far harder scrutiny. The difference is that it’s actually believable within the context of that scene, that game, and what the writers were probably intending for it.

Most of what I tend to hear from starch defendants of DMC3 sound so far-fetched, it doesn’t seem likely the original writers intended ANY of it that way. It’s taking the base-line, simplistic, barebones narrative of DMC3 and tossing it in a taffee-puller to justify the grasping need to give it more depth and narrative nuance than it ever actually boasted itself.

But that’s just how I feel about it, so don’t construe my stance as the popular opinion for the series.

Given the writing, the short span of events, and the delivery of the scene itself, I almost doubt that’s what the writers were intending with that.

Right down to the gameplay sequence that follows to the aggressively-stylized pose that Dante strikes when he delivers his line, it reeks more of the developers’ intention to finish off the game with some flashy, high-octane finale to break off from the uber-serious and melodramatic tone of the prior cutscene.

I sincerely doubt the developers or writers were intending tragedy in that scene. But watching the cutscenes of that game is such a grating exercise in excruciation for me that I’m probably not a reliable source for emotional reciprocation of that game’s story moments...so for all we know, you may be right.

In the anime, Dante's lethargic attitude is what pushes the whole climax of the story to happen. He had multiple chances to end Sid's plot, but in the end he allows it to go through. Either because he was desperate for some kind of action, or, and I think much more likely, he was practically suicidal and was looking for something to kill him. Possibly BOTH, really. Whatever the case, he neglects to deal with the problem until it finally erupts, which ends up getting a lot of people killed.

I think implying depression or suicidal urges for Dante building out throughout most of the plot is a really, really big stretch.

Not only is that something that the writers didn’t allude to at all by the end of each slice-of-life scenario of each episode, but that require so much emotional allusion that frankly, isn’t anywhere or justifiably present in the game’s story or in Dante’s mannerisms at all. Even if you could believe that Dante’s harboring some kind of depression or suicidal need behind every comedic scene he enters with the other characters, why would the writers never allude to something so important, so dramatic to the character?

Japanese writing, especially when it comes to anime of this kind, is never that subtle. I’m almost laughing just thinking about, because I doubt ANY of the scenario writers for the series had that intention with the nature of these episodes. And letting Sid go repeatedly really only showcases the show-writers’ needs to establish some kind of proper indication that the series was building up and going somewhere, not because of any uber-complex motives Dante has.

I appreciate the idea of Dante having some deeper meaning behind his cockiness and arrogance, and it’s certainly one I’ve heard from fans of the franchise, but there’s no factual basis for it or evidence of it being the writers’ intention at all.

In 4, his attitude sort of follows. When it shows that he can't avoid getting involved, he's suddenly eager to go to Fortuna and tries to end the threat of the Order immediately by cutting off it's head. When Nero gets involved and things get more complicated, he then prioritizes closing all the Demon gates and tells Trish to keep as many people safe as possible. Simultaneously Trish, who understands Dante just about better than anybody, intentionally took Sparda and used it to try to escalate the situation, because she knows that Dante is exceedingly bad at keeping himself together without some kind of crisis on his hands.

But again, all of this ends up getting people hurt, and Dante's attitude develops into 2, where he's almost actively avoiding any kind of excitement and is solely out to do his job. Unfortunately it goes badly anyway, and again an entire city basically implodes, at which point he decides to just stay in the Underworld.

Again, where is the evidence or factual basis for any of this? Where is it ever implied that Trish took Sparda and rushed off immediately as a means to accommodate for Dante’s feelings or mental well-being?

Was there some emotional undertone I missed in the cutscene in Dante’s office, which I’m a little more than inclined was only included for comedic value and no other reason?

This is rummaging around in the barebones writing of DMC4 for aspects of the story that flat-out don’t exist. I’d be down of they were, I like DMC4 and think it would add to the plot significantly if it were true, or was substantially hinted at in the actual plot…but it isn’t. This literally doesn’t exist in the plot, or in any exchange between characters.

As for it being the basis for Dante’s attitude in DMC2….no offense, but that is straight-up head-canon right there. The developers of this series could not have possibly planned the narrative of both 2 and 4 so intricately over five years of shifting staff members or writing changes to accommodate Dante’s persona in a poorly-received game that Capcom has all but chosen to ignore for the better part of the series’ run. The writers had no pre-concieved idea about where they were taking the plot after 2, and I’m 100% there’s no factual basis for that, or the notion that DMC4 was developed and written to transition Dante’s personality into that game.

That’s just overreaching, and giving the house of retconning and bad-planning that is the DMC writing team far more credit than they’re worth. They aren’t that smart or creative.

Moreover:

I think all this speculation on Dante’s inner workings in both the anime and in DMC4 is really yanking this thread out of the confines of its original topic. Let’s just agree to disagree and move on, before a certain mod swoops down from his stone gargoyle overlooking Wayne Enterprises and berates us for driving this thread off a cliff.

Because what's challenging Dante's character isn't so much any one person, it's Dante himself. He believes that the strength of the human spirit is strong and worthy, but consistently, throughout the entire series, what has brought him victory has been his own power, and he's seen humanity fail time and again. Hell, three-fourths of the series' villains have been humans corrupted by their own desires. Even Nero, with a strong human heart and drive, failed because he was too weak, and needed to be saved by Dante.

The drama to Dante's character is that he himself is a walking contradiction to his own ideals, as is his father Sparda.

I could believe this, but it’s never properly emphasized in any game or by Dante himself for it to hold much credibility. He never expresses a whole lot of emotional investment in anything he fights outside of Vergil and Mundus, and never once even contemplates the role his powers play in his combat or in liberating the world from demon forces. He never refers to the human spirit or acknowledges it as a personal driving force….he uses it as a means to lecture and school his opponents for what they lack (Nero does something similar when confronting Sanctus for the final time), but taking such a speck of character interaction and blowing it up to be the basis of his entire personality is—well, like taking one of Vergil’s lines and making it the basis of his motives and emotional investment, but…you know. I’ve already ranted plenty about that. :D

He expresses a few moments of veteran wisdom to some of the people he helps out in the anime, which I actually like, since it’s making the idea of him being a wiser and seasoned hunter in DMC4 all the more believable, and the mentor-like interactions between him and Nero all the more plausible.

But hiding anguish or disappointment in humans over watching them make the same mistakes again and again? That’s nowhere to be found in a single thing he says or does.

That’s a level of philosophical reflection that, frankly, is not supported by any branch of DMC lore or media, and quite contradictory to the simple nature of Dante as a character. Capcom’s writing staff never once wrote him that way, and if they did, they probably would’ve made it far more apparent.

Again, subtlety is not their strong point.

If you read on, you'll note that I said Dante is intended to both not be relatable, in terms of his design and persona, but also still be relatable in terms of his core character as someone who is forced to accept his heritage and live up to his family legacy, even if it means going against members of that same family. I think it's like this specifically so different people can enjoy the story on different levels.

That’s such a basic aspect of Dante’s character that plays so little of a role in his fight in future games, not to mention playing almost no role in the dramatic tension of half of his in-series battles, that I’m not even sure it’s a valid defense for the lack of depth or development in just about any other department.

If that one aspect is the only one Capcom can highlight successfully, than it only drives home the point about how limited and painfully under-written Dante is as a character. So one-note and restricted is his role in these games that his half-demon, half-human status is one of the few things anyone can narratively draw from.

And in the world of anime and video games, that’s probably the most cliché and woefully unoriginal well of narrative material to draw from. There’s a mountain of characters with the same “mixed heritage” description that are written ten times better, and still manage to provide enough intrigue so that their “mixed heritage” origins is barely used as a narrative asset.

With Dante…that’s practically the framework of his character, since Capcom seems content to do nothing else with him.

I like and understand that scene quite a lot. But I think it only really works because of, again, Dante’s status as the side-protagonist and juxtaposition to Nero’s more serious and dramatic role in the story, and the fact that this confrontation unfolds between him and a minor villain like Agnus.

If Dante pulled the comedic sthick, AS the main character, against the main villain, it wouldn’t be funny or charming, but absurd.

I should think you would understand this dualistic nature of the story, considering the entire premise of the plot is a man who is half Human, half Demon, and the novel which you've often professed to like explicitly states that Dante's entire boisterous personality is almost entirely a coping mechanism he invented to serve as a mask for his true feelings.

For one, the novel isn’t canon, but handles the demon-human duality far better than any game, at least from the confines of my humble, controversial opinion.

Secondly, while I think that duality works in moderation, I think Capcom has formed an annoying tendency to focus on that narrative thread, and that alone, when formulating the story for the bulk of these games. It’s getting so tedious and was already tiresome by the time they got to Nero, and regurgitated the same bile about the “balance between being human and a devil”, I was already dreading the notion of a sequel that would undoubtedly recreate it. DmC touched on it quite briefly with Dante’s encounter with Phineas, but the writers had the good sense to shift the main focus of the story on different things, like the growing tension between the Sparda Twins, and Dante’s growth as a warrior (even if you’re of the opinion that they weren’t well-executed plot-points, they were still different enough from the usual “human-devil duality” tripe).

It’s the most brain-dead, uninspired route Capcom can narratively go with this series, and instead of trying new things, they keep repeating it.

Again, I think there is a very good way they could do this, but it's so risky that I'm afraid they wouldn't chance it

I don’t think there’s a whole lot of risk in developing Dante in a fashion that’s both reasonable and believable with his other actions throughout the series.

All it takes is competent writing talent, which….as of RE6, Capcom has shown they’re quite devoid of.

On a slightly more serious side note, basically every character surrounding Dante calls him out for being an unmotivated, uncaring idiot constantly. That's effectively Lady's entire role.

But that never amounts to anything substantial. It’s all for comedic play, and it never once comes back as a consequential plot-point, brought up in any serious or plot-affecting situations, or builds into any shift or development of his character.

The only time I ever saw this amount to anything was in DmC, where at least there, other characters acknowledged Dante’s attitude and lack of motivation as an actual problem, one that’s on his shoulders to fix. It’s used for comedic purpose in some instances, yes, but for the bulk of the story, it’s something used by the writers to shape Dante for the better, and remains an integral portion of DmC’s plot.

And that's sort of the route I was thinking of as well. When 5 happens, and if Dante plays a larger role, Sparda should be absolutely central to the story.

Sparda, as the main antagonist? Do explain, I’m actually quite intrigued by that idea. What would force him to challenge his own son, or vice versa? And more importantly, how would that play into Dante initially starting his quest to avenge Eva?

Do tell.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Yes, and that's one of a number of reasons why it's a risky thing to do. However, I think the positives could outweigh the negatives.
Hmm, I see what you're saying. But I think after four games where Sparda's been held up as this paragon who fought against evil for so many years, it would cheapen his character in my eyes to just have him turn evil. Rather, it's kinda all he has as a character at this point sadly.

If we do ever get a prequel game with Sparda (a la Metal Gear's Big Boss) then I'd much prefer to see Sparda as a tragic hero, a flawed but ultimately well meaning person, partially because he's a Demon but also because his hands would be stained with so many evil acts. Or something along those gray lines of morality.

Veloran

I actually really dig the book segments between chapters, because they essentially save all of Gabriel’s emoting and mental processing for off-screen, almost to give the player something to contemplate at the start of each level while they’re traversing platforms and exploring the vast scenery…to let everything going on in Gabriel’s head really sink into the player through gameplay, rather than cutscenes.
I'd argue that's not really a gameplay-meets-narrative thing so much as it completely divorces the two.

Gabriel’s a man of few words, with the insight into his emotions actually PROVIDED somewhere.
Sure, but then the question becomes how Zobek knows all of that and why he's iterating it to the audience. Does Gabriel just really like him? Is Zobek peering into his mind? Why is he even telling us this under a pretense of not being evil?

Meh, I can believe a medieval couple in 1087 AD talking in the rigid dialogue of a Shakespearean tragedy, so it never shattered immersion for me.

And compared to the exchanges between Nero and Kyrie, I don’t find myself wanting to plunge a steel rod in my ears quite as often. Just how many times do they like hearing each other’s names, exactly?
Personally, I did find it too immersion breaking to tolerate. Since Nero and Kyrie sort of have this "are they aren't they" thing going on it at least excuses how they refer to each other, because their relationship is very weird.

I never put that much thought into the environments for DMC4, mostly because it was obvious that the devs didn’t put the same kind of thought Team Little Devils put into Mallet Island. They weren’t going for ambience so much as pristine production value, which I’ll certainly concede that they succeeded.
I suppose, but I'm not sure that was intentional. The concept art indicates that if they had the production capability the tone would have been different.

It’s down to personal preference. Again, I’m desensitized by the cinematic orgy that is the Yakuza series, which switches to cutscenes in combat with a breathless frequency, and that’s in every fight in the game. You really have to have the stomach for that kind of thing.
I much prefer a level of that approach. When it's fully integrated into gameplay, you have no choice but to bear with it.

Whatever the specifics may be, it boiled down to some form of memory fragmentation, which I can say is a reasonable narrative justifier for Dante being more detached or “forgetting about the meaning of family”…
But again, that's not so much a justification than an issue he needs to get over.

At the start of DMC1, we see him start his confrontation with Trish in a laid-back and arrogant fashion, but he quickly shows spikes of caution, before actually getting serious, and even prepared to kill Trish.

He stops clinging to one-liners long enough to act serious, for the sake of the confrontation at hand.
I'm not really sure I remember seeing what you're describing.

I believe you’re mistaken. It’s ten years between DMC3 and 4, with Dante being 19 in the former and 29-30 in the latter.

The whole point of DMC3, or at least it was my impression, was to set up DMC1’s beginning through the events of DMC3.
No, it's defiantly ten years. Dante is 17-19 years old in DMC3, it takes place ten years after Eva's death. Then in 1 Dante is 27-29 years old, and it's been twenty years since Eva's death. There is a big gap of time between 3 and 1.

For 4, it's been approximately ten more years since 1, given that Nero is in his mid-late teens/early twenties, and he was fathered by Vergil before DMC3. Rather than Dante being 29-30 in 4, it's more like he's in his mid-late thirties/early forties.

Again, I would call that striving for fallen comrades than any kind of symbolic familial attachment of any sort, especially when Dante’s interactions with Nel don’t really enforce the whole “surrogate mother” thing that you’re referring to.
Really?

Goldstein's body merged into the image of Tony's mother on the day she died. Eva had given her life protecting him. The past and present blended into a seamless vision, and Tony was unable to distinguish between them. He heard a familiar voice whisper over the crackling flames.

Have him try. Have him fail. Have him fall. Have him rise.
But... That is exactly what happened in 3.

Alucard doesn’t view all humans on the same level, only the ones he feels pose a challenge to him or embody the values he admires so much. The entire scene with the human SWAT team in Rio was a perfect example of this, where he explicitly told them that “it takes a [proper] man to kill a monster”, and obliterates them with the lack of dignity he reserves for the rest of his prey.
But that makes no sense, what exactly is supposed to distinguish such people from someone "worthy"?

This also ties directly into Anderson, whom he doesn’t come to respect until their confrontation on the streets of London. Prior to that, he was just another interesting chew toy flung at him by Integra’s enemies, no more or less. It’s only when Anderson started to push himself to his limits, falling apart by flesh and bone through Alucard’s mass of undead familiars, that Alucard truly starts to admire his surprisingly-human and endearing qualities for a bio-engineered holy weapon.
But, again, Anderson isn't human. Why is him using the cross any different from how he's normally super-human anyway? And if Anderson hadn't done it, wouldn't Alucard have simply killed him anyway? Maybe with a nod to his tenacity, but nothing more.

And no, a human has defeated Alucard….Van Helsing did, and quite spectacularly, back in 1899 in the Carpathian Mountain Range (referring to the Bram Stoker Novel, which is very much canon to Hellsing, apart from its ending). So much so, that it was enough to win Alucard’s respect for humans like him and his descendants, not humans as a whole.
But how did Helsing defeat him? With Alucard's vast array of abilities, how did Helsing ever actually bring him down, and why does Alucard ever think it would happen again?

I mean at a base level, if he respects humans with a strong will but detests those that use the supernatural, why did he respond to Seras' will to live by turning her into a vampire?

Given how both Hellsing and Devil May Cry deal with ultra-powerful protagonists written to be similarly God-tier entities of insurmountable power, I felt it was a worthy comparison, especially how one demonstrates how to write such a character properly, and make it work in the confines of the narrative.
I meant comparable in the sense that Hellsing was written by a single author with the freedom to do whatever he wanted on the basis of an already expansive mythology, while Devil May Cry has been nothing of the sort, it has many more issues to deal with, and are forced to work within much tighter confines.

Because unlike the cauldron of bubbling, rancid theories and baseless claims surrounding Vergil’s motives and Dante’s emotions in DMC3, there’s an actual basis in the story of the first Devil May Cry to make these things believable, and less far-fetched.

Nothing I stated as what I believe for Dante’s emotions in that scene are explicitly factual, and can be dismissed as non-canon under far harder scrutiny. The difference is that it’s actually believable within the context of that scene, that game, and what the writers were probably intending for it.

Most of what I tend to hear from starch defendants of DMC3 sound so far-fetched, it doesn’t seem likely the original writers intended ANY of it that way. It’s taking the base-line, simplistic, barebones narrative of DMC3 and tossing it in a taffee-puller to justify the grasping need to give it more depth and narrative nuance than it ever actually boasted itself.

But that’s just how I feel about it, so don’t construe my stance as the popular opinion for the series.
That seems to be pure bias on your part.

As for intention, it's not far-fetched at all. In fact, between our last conversation about this and now I've read Trinity of Fate, and it effectively confirms everything about Dante, and particularly Vergil's, characters that I had previously suggested to you. I had occasionally questioned whether those views of the characters were deliberate by the writers before, but at this point I'm very certain.

Given the writing, the short span of events, and the delivery of the scene itself, I almost doubt that’s what the writers were intending with that.

Right down to the gameplay sequence that follows to the aggressively-stylized pose that Dante strikes when he delivers his line, it reeks more of the developers’ intention to finish off the game with some flashy, high-octane finale to break off from the uber-serious and melodramatic tone of the prior cutscene.

I sincerely doubt the developers or writers were intending tragedy in that scene.
As I've said before, it is probably both. A final, high adrenaline fight to cap off the game, but also a tragic moment touching on Dante's character, simultaneously.

I think implying depression or suicidal urges for Dante building out throughout most of the plot is a really, really big stretch.

Not only is that something that the writers didn’t allude to at all by the end of each slice-of-life scenario of each episode, but that require so much emotional allusion that frankly, isn’t anywhere or justifiably present in the game’s story or in Dante’s mannerisms at all. Even if you could believe that Dante’s harboring some kind of depression or suicidal need behind every comedic scene he enters with the other characters, why would the writers never allude to something so important, so dramatic to the character?
They did allude to it, when Sid explicitly tells Dante that his plan will be of use to him, and then once that plan culminates he immediately tries to kill Dante. Not to mention that he endlessly puts himself in deadly situations, and constantly allows himself to be attacked. Even the lyrics reference his crazy mindset.

Moreover, isn't Dante's "insanely overconfident/dangerously suicidal" personality one of the very first things we ever heard about him from Enzo?

Again, where is the evidence or factual basis for any of this? Where is it ever implied that Trish took Sparda and rushed off immediately as a means to accommodate for Dante’s feelings or mental well-being?

Was there some emotional undertone I missed in the cutscene in Dante’s office, which I’m a little more than inclined was only included for comedic value and no other reason?
Firstly, the moment Dante shows the barest hint of interest when he questions the Order worshiping a demon as a god, Trish takes Sparda and runs off. Then, when Lady suggests there's a threat, Dante immediately switches from not caring to ready for this to "keep him occupied".

As for it being the basis for Dante’s attitude in DMC2….no offense, but that is straight-up head-canon right there. The developers of this series could not have possibly planned the narrative of both 2 and 4 so intricately over five years of shifting staff members or writing changes to accommodate Dante’s persona in a poorly-received game that Capcom has all but chosen to ignore for the better part of the series’ run. The writers had no pre-concieved idea about where they were taking the plot after 2, and I’m 100% there’s no factual basis for that, or the notion that DMC4 was developed and written to transition Dante’s personality into that game.
I'm not suggesting that 4 directly leads to 2, nor that they had ever initially planned it that way, but there are elements of Dante's behavior that show how he could be inclined to the attitude he possessed in 2.

I think all this speculation on Dante’s inner workings in both the anime and in DMC4 is really yanking this thread out of the confines of its original topic. Let’s just agree to disagree and move on, before a certain mod swoops down from his stone gargoyle overlooking Wayne Enterprises and berates us for driving this thread off a cliff.
I agree that it's slightly off-topic, but at the same time these ideas could help us to better understand different places they can take the series in the future.

He never refers to the human spirit or acknowledges it as a personal driving force….he uses it as a means to lecture and school his opponents for what they lack (Nero does something similar when confronting Sanctus for the final time),
In effect the latter is intended to show the former, and the development of that mindset was the point of DMC3, Dante inheriting his father's spirit, understanding why he chose to protect the human race.

But hiding anguish or disappointment in humans over watching them make the same mistakes again and again? That’s nowhere to be found in a single thing he says or does.
That actually is referenced in the anime, when Sid comments to Dante how humans can be crueler even than demons. Hell, that's actually what Lady said at the end of DMC3 as well.

That’s such a basic aspect of Dante’s character that plays so little of a role in his fight in future games, not to mention playing almost no role in the dramatic tension of half of his in-series battles, that I’m not even sure it’s a valid defense for the lack of depth or development in just about any other department.
Well it was almost the entire point of 3, the book, part of the manga, part of Nero's story in 4, Lucia's story in 2, Trish's story in 1, and the anime, so... I mean, basically every part of the series touches on those themes. It just so happens that the part where it is most central to Dante himself is the entry you hold no regard for.

I like and understand that scene quite a lot. But I think it only really works because of, again, Dante’s status as the side-protagonist and juxtaposition to Nero’s more serious and dramatic role in the story, and the fact that this confrontation unfolds between him and a minor villain like Agnus.

If Dante pulled the comedic sthick, AS the main character, against the main villain, it wouldn’t be funny or charming, but absurd.
Yes, I don't think it would be possible to that degree if Dante was the solo protagonist, but the point I was making was that scene is a very exaggerated microcosm of the way the entire Devil May Cry franchise handles it's plot and character development.

For one, the novel isn’t canon,
While that is effectively true, I believe the spirit of the character presented by the novel is the same across the entire series. "For Tony Redgrave .45 Art Warks" was never removed from Dante's guns.

I don’t think there’s a whole lot of risk in developing Dante in a fashion that’s both reasonable and believable with his other actions throughout the series.
As I touched on previously, it runs the risk of damaging Sparda's character, and would need to be handled carefully.

But that never amounts to anything substantial. It’s all for comedic play, and it never once comes back as a consequential plot-point, brought up in any serious or plot-affecting situations, or builds into any shift or development of his character.
As I pointed out before, in DMC something can be comedic and be actual commentary at the same time.

Sparda, as the main antagonist? Do explain, I’m actually quite intrigued by that idea. What would force him to challenge his own son, or vice versa? And more importantly, how would that play into Dante initially starting his quest to avenge Eva?

Do tell.
I outlined the basic idea in the post above yours.

It comes down to disillusionment on Sparda's part overturning his views on humanity, with him challenging Dante on it because he too has seen the worst humanity has to offer. Perhaps it could be driven home by the revelation that it was humans who sold Eva out to the demons, which is what led to her death.

In effect, Sparda turning would solve the actual longest running unaddressed problem in Devil May Cry - The series' name itself. In Devil May Cry 1, the name was to symbolize Dante striking fear into the Demons the same way that they struck fear into humanity. But at the end of the game, it's changed to Devil Never Cry, symbolizing through Trish that humans possess a level of understanding, caring, love, heart, spirit, humanity, that demons do not, which is why Sparda originally saved them to begin with.

However, since that point the series has taken the opposite stance. Humans and Demons are in fact very similar, with demonic entities sharing the same capability for emotion humans do, and humans being capable of the same acts of utter depravity as any demon. In other words, Devil May Cry, showing that despite their differences, the inhabitants of the two worlds are more alike than any would wish to admit.

However, that creates a contradiction - If Demons and humans are so similar, why did Sparda risk everything to betray his own kind and save the human race? In making Sparda the antagonist that question comes to the forefront of the narrative, and becomes the central conflict that it really deserves to be.

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I'm not really sure I remember seeing what you're describing.

Matters little anyway, cause the Dante he described in the DMC1 opening cutscene... is also exactly the Dante we see in the final confrontation against Vergil in DMC3, word for word, and a testament to how the game manages to transform Dante into the character that he is in DMC1. So he actually ended up proving your point instead of refuting it, ain't you happy about it?

Last edited:

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Firstly, the moment Dante shows the barest hint of interest when he questions the Order worshiping a demon as a god, Trish takes Sparda and runs off. Then, when Lady suggests there's a threat, Dante immediately switches from not caring to ready for this to "keep him occupied".
Just an apart, since this talk isn't directed at me, but how does Trish know Dante better than anyone anyone else(if there was someone who would know Dante's would be Lady.After all she met in in his later teenagerhood e saw him become an adult)?And how wreck an entire city while making fun of their devotion and leaving them in extreme poverty, is a way to accommodate someone's well being? Funny enough Vergil "the evil one", left the city untouched and even understood their point of view.
The remind me those serial killer partnerships, where one of them caught a victim and the two proceed brutalize her/him under the same excuse of "making the things exciting" .
However, since that point the series has taken the opposite stance. Humans and Demons are in fact very similar, with demonic entities sharing the same capability for emotion humans do, and humans being capable of the same acts of utter depravity as any demon. In other words, Devil May Cry, showing that despite their differences, the inhabitants of the two worlds are more alike than any would wish to admit.
The series has a grey morality where all their characters are amoral at some degree.And life isn't easy for them two: or they do nothing (and they can't do nothing due to their fragile nature) and they need an unwilling "protector" or they try it in another way, using magic( that is always demonic in series) to do something and are seeing/turned into evil too.This is so true that the same character can be seen as a villain or antihero and both opinions are basically right.

Reign

How about a reboot of Devil May Cry 2?
I mentioned this in another thread. I would love it if they gave us an updated and better directed DMC 2. I am a huge fan of character development and with this being Endgame Dante, I'd love to see flashbacks or full gameplay segments that show him going from immaturity into a mature adult.

It'd also be either really sad or really funny as to how he gets out of debt. I, personally, always thought Dante would just outlive everyone he owes.

Top Bottom