• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Theories

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Only one? Well, can we assume "familiar face" means a familiar design? Or just a familiar name? (Yes, now we're getting into this sort of wordplay.)
Probably one of them. Either way i never expect a exact character in DmC, just a changed one with similarities.

Ana

Probably one of them. Either way i never expect a exact character in DmC, just a changed one with similarities.
Yeah, but there's similarities that make you go, "Oh, yeah. That's a cool idea. I can see how that would work," and there's "similarities" that make you go, "That's WHO?!"

Ana

What do you mean?
mmmmmmmmhhhhhhhh....
Well, I guess the reboot I know best is Mega Man Battle Network. It's a sort of parallel universe to the original Mega Man series. Instead of robotics, Dr. Light and Dr. Wily decided to research cyber... stuff. So instead of a robot, Mega Man is a sentient computer program.

You don't originally know this, but when you find out, there's a sort of moment where you go, "Huh, that kinda makes sense." The first Battle Network game is ~50 years after the time when Light and Wily started their research, so you can also see how the whole world was changed by their decision and direction - computers are a huge part of daily life and there are a lot of really cool devices all over.

Obviously, the characters are all very different. Roll and Mega Man aren't "siblings," and the old Robot Masters are just other computer programs. But there are some cool call-backs in the designs too. At the very least, you can sort of see how Mega Man is, well, Mega Man.

I'm sure there are people who complain about that reboot too, but I rather liked the new series. It was fun, if kinda dumb.

You could say the same thing about the Transformers series... well, some of them. Generally, the main characters - Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Ratchet, etc. - are all pretty recognizable, though the exact details of their backstories and designs change. Mind you, this isn't necessarily a good example.

On the other hand, you have series like... Castlevania: Lords of Shadows. The "references" are just kind of in-jokes. The main character is a "Belmont" and uses a whip-like weapon... But really, could you tell if you weren't informed ahead of time? He's also rumored to be part of the Cronquist family, which might make sense if you know who the family's only other member was, but is otherwise just a throwaway factoid. All these "detail" tease fans with familiarity without really providing it in any meaningful way.

Let's see, another reboot... I guess, Thundercats 2011? It's up in the air how you want to consider that one.

ReRave

smug jerk
But if it's all "In Name Only," then "Lucia" can also be from the Divine Comedy. Limbo is certainly a concept from there. (If I remember correctly, it's the place next to hell/kind of on the outskirts of hell, where people who never picked a side went.)
It's really not that important, but other than names there isn't much DC to DMC. Lucia is someone from the Divine Comedy and Limbo is indeed from catholic myth: Limbo is where those souls reside, that were sent to hell without doing any harm in life. They were simply unlucky enough not to baptised. If I remember correctly, the virtuos heathen also dwell there.
Check Wikipedia, It has some great articles on the layout of hell and Alighieri's concept of it.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
mmmmmmmmhhhhhhhh....
Well, I guess the reboot I know best is Mega Man Battle Network. It's a sort of parallel universe to the original Mega Man series. Instead of robotics, Dr. Light and Dr. Wily decided to research cyber... stuff. So instead of a robot, Mega Man is a sentient computer program.

You don't originally know this, but when you find out, there's a sort of moment where you go, "Huh, that kinda makes sense." The first Battle Network game is ~50 years after the time when Light and Wily started their research, so you can also see how the whole world was changed by their decision and direction - computers are a huge part of daily life and there are a lot of really cool devices all over.

Obviously, the characters are all very different. Roll and Mega Man aren't "siblings," and the old Robot Masters are just other computer programs. But there are some cool call-backs in the designs too. At the very least, you can sort of see how Mega Man is, well, Mega Man.

I'm sure there are people who complain about that reboot too, but I rather liked the new series. It was fun, if kinda dumb.

You could say the same thing about the Transformers series... well, some of them. Generally, the main characters - Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Ratchet, etc. - are all pretty recognizable, though the exact details of their backstories and designs change. Mind you, this isn't necessarily a good example.

On the other hand, you have series like... Castlevania: Lords of Shadows. The "references" are just kind of in-jokes. The main character is a "Belmont" and uses a whip-like weapon... But really, could you tell if you weren't informed ahead of time? He's also rumored to be part of the Cronquist family, which might make sense if you know who the family's only other member was, but is otherwise just a throwaway factoid. All these "detail" tease fans with familiarity without really providing it in any meaningful way.

Let's see, another reboot... I guess, Thundercats 2011? It's up in the air how you want to consider that one.
But parllel universe statement from Capcom is not a statement that's backed up by DmC story or anything. It's only a statement made to stop the negative influence on game's sales.

There is Dante in Viewtful Joe and Noctourne. Those two games have a world of their own - a "parallel universe" if you want. Despite Dante being in those game - he's pretty much the same.

But i really don't see reboots or parallel universes as anything positive. Because if DmC is a parllel universe then it implies that DmC and DMC dimensions will merge and NT's Dante and original Dante will meet eachother. But that's not the case - so DmC is not a "parallel universe" to DMC, but just a new game that's using DMC gameplay and ideas.

But as i said before i think Lucia will be in DmC in a way. If we see a red haired girl i am positive that her name will probably be Lucia. Not saying that Lucia from DmC is Lucia that DMC fans love (I am not a Lucia fan, but she's cool girl :) ), but it's a Lucia inspired character. I know very little about Megaman so can't say i know what your talking about.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
But parllel universe statement from Capcom is not a statement that's backed up by DmC story or anything. It's only a statement made to stop the negative influence on game's sales.

There is Dante in Viewtful Joe and Noctourne. Those two games have a world of their own - a "parallel universe" if you want. Despite Dante being in those game - he's pretty much the same.

But i really don't see reboots or parallel universes as anything positive. Because if DmC is a parllel universe then it implies that DmC and DMC dimensions will merge and NT's Dante and original Dante will meet eachother. But that's not the case - so DmC is not a "parallel universe" to DMC, but just a new game that's using DMC gameplay and ideas.
But as i said before i think Lucia will be in DmC in a way. If we see a red haired girl i am positive that her name will probably be Lucia. Not saying that Lucia from DmC is Lucia that DMC fans love (I am not a Lucia fan, but she's cool girl :) ), but it's a Lucia inspired character. I know very little about Megaman so can't say i know what your talking about.

the fact that DmC is not the same universe as Devil May Cry backs up the statement that it is a parallel universe.

the Dante in Viewtiful Joe and SMT: Nocturne is the original Dante.

the phrase "Parallel universe" doesn't not state or imply in any way that the two universes will merge or even interact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_universe_(fiction)

ZeroLove

mmmmmmmmhhhhhhhh....

Some really good points. ^^
And just throwing it out there, now that you mention reboots; My Little Pony: Friendship is magic. ;P

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
the fact that DmC is not the same universe as Devil May Cry backs up the statement that it is a parallel universe.

the Dante in Viewtiful Joe and SMT: Nocturne is the original Dante.

the phrase "Parallel universe" doesn't not state or imply in any way that the two universes will merge or even interact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_universe_(fiction)
I never said that "parallel universe" meant two worlds would merge. I just pointed out that "parallel universe" is not part of any story. It's not part of DMC story, or DmC story, and if it's not part of any of them then the "parallel universe" is just bs - does not make sense. It's not logical.

Just because they say "It's a parallel universe" all of sudden you eat up their words? Since when did Capcom become scientists on parallel worlds?
What a excuse "It's a parallel universe". I guess it just shows you that gamers nowdays eat up everything bad game companies come up with. Bayonetta is a game very appropriate to call a "parallel" to DMC.

My point has always been this and this only: The parallel world crap is just that - crap.
It has no place in the story or no use other than the message "We at Capcom want good money so we have decided to call this game many of you dislike for "a parallel universe of DMC" so that perhaps we will earn more money!". It's really sad to see that people take it seriously .

ZeroLove

I never said that "parallel universe" meant two worlds would merge. I just pointed out that "parallel universe" is not part of any story. It's not part of DMC story, or DmC story, and if it's not part of any of them then the "parallel universe" is just bs - does not make sense. It's not logical.

Just because they say "It's a parallel universe" all of sudden you eat up their words? Since when did Capcom become scientists on parallel worlds?
What a excuse "It's a parallel universe". I guess it just shows you that gamers nowdays eat up everything bad game companies come up with. Bayonetta is a game very appropriate to call a "parallel" to DMC.

My point has always been this and this only: The parallel world crap is just that - crap.
It has no place in the story or no use other than the message "We at Capcom want good money so we have decided to call this game many of you dislike for "a parallel universe of DMC" so that perhaps we will earn more money!". It's really sad to see that people take it seriously .

You don't have to be a scientist to make a parallel universe for a game. It's just an excuse for making things differently from the original universe and that's all there is to it.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
You don't have to be a scientist to make a parallel universe for a game. It's just an excuse for making things differently from the original universe and that's all there is to it.
Seriously...what the hell do you think i have been saying all this time..

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
I never said that "parallel universe" meant two worlds would merge. I just pointed out that "parallel universe" is not part of any story. It's not part of DMC story, or DmC story, and if it's not part of any of them then the "parallel universe" is just bs - does not make sense. It's

really you never said:
But i really don't see reboots or parallel universes as anything positive. Because if DmC is a parllel universe then it implies that DmC and DMC dimensions will merge and NT's Dante and original Dante will meet each other. But that's not the case - so DmC is not a "parallel universe" to DMC, but just a new game that's using DMC gameplay and ideas.
did you not say that?

Capcom owns the copyright for the Devil May Cry franchise therefore any game or other media made by Capcom or made by another company for Capcom is a parallel universe of Devil May Cry if Capcom says it is. you do not have to be a "scientist on parallel worlds " (whatever that is) to use the concept in a game any more than you would have to be a theoretical physicist to include gravity in a game.

Bayonetta is not a Parallel universe of Devil May Cry it is a similar but unrelated game from a different company that just happens to be created by people who were involved in creating Devil May Cry1.

yes, Capcom is making DmC to make more money. that is so obvious it is not even worth mentioning. and yes, Capcom is saying DmC is a parallel universe to make even more money but that does not mean it is not official.

want to know a secret? every game company that has ever existed has made every single game that has ever been sold for the exact same reason. because making video games is a business. the entire reason video games exist is to make money. every single decision made by game companies is to make even more money (yes, even the decisions you approve of ).

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
really you never said:

did you not say that?
I said that yeah, but i meant that if you say a game is parallel to another game, then it implies that the two stories will clash for few moments. And that if it's not the case - that the two stories of DMC and DmC will clash, then it's not really parallel to eachother. In a story sense - how can original characters be aware of their "parallel" self? Only one way - the two worlds meet eachother.

Capcom owns the copyright for the Devil May Cry franchise therefore any game or other media made by Capcom or made by another company for Capcom is a parallel universe of Devil May Cry if Capcom says it is. you do not have to be a "scientist on parallel worlds " (whatever that is) to use the concept in a game any more than you would have to be a theoretical physicist to include gravity in a game.
You don't have to be scientist to use concepts such as parallel world, but i am saying it's not part of DmC story, so it does not make sense therefor it's just crap to avoid bad sales.

Bayonetta is not a Parallel universe of Devil May Cry it is a similar but unrelated game from a different company that just happens to be created by people who were involved in creating Devil May Cry1.
DmC is also a similar but unrelated game to DMC. So how is it parallel world of DMC?

yes, Capcom is making DmC to make more money. that is so obvious it is not even worth mentioning. and yes, Capcom is saying DmC is a parallel universe to make even more money but that does not mean it is not official.
You are right. I guess even though my logic mind says "It's not parallel world" - because Capcom owns DMC they can say it's parallel. Because as you pointed out the only thing that makes Bayonetta not a parallel universe is Capcom going out and saying it is.

want to know a secret? every game company that has ever existed has made every single game that has ever been sold for the exact same reason. because making video games is a business. the entire reason video games exist is to make money. every single decision made by game companies is to make even more money (yes, even the decisions you approve of ).
Game making is a business but if you go into Game design for only cash - then you could go become a Lawyer, Doctor or something like that. And good decisions should be rewarded with money.
hrmf

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
the phrase Parallel universe does not state or imply in any way that the two worlds will interact or that anyone in ether of the two worlds will be aware of the other. DmC and Devil May Cry1-4 are part of the same franchise but DmC is not canon to the original storyline therefore they are parallel universes interaction is possible if Capcom wants to do that but if they don't it doesn't make it not a parallel universe.

the word "Parallel" refers to two lines that do not intersect so universes that never interact would fit the term "Parallel universe" more accurately than ones that do interact at some point.

DmC is not unrelated to Devil May Cry it is part of the same franchise (yes, just because Capcom says so but there are enough similarities to justify it). Bayonetta is not. Capcom cannot make Bayonetta a parallel universe to Devil May Cry because Bayonetta is a series made by Platinum games for Sega. Capcom has no control over Bayonetta canon, but if Capcom bought the copyright for Bayonetta from Sega than yes they could say it was a parallel universe (it would make more sense to make it part of the same universe as Devil May Cry but that isn't really part of this discussion). Capcom has control over all details of the canon of all series they own. they could say that Mega Man and Devil May Cry are parallel universes (or the same universe) if they wanted to. it would make absolutely no sense but it would be completely 100% canon.

and yes that does mean that DmC Dante is DMC Dante in a parallel universe and not a completely new character with the same name and yes it is just because Capcom says so. i think there are enough similarities to justify it. you do not. it doesn't really matter what we think makes sense. if Capcom says they are the same they are. if they wanted to they could say that DmC Dante and DMC Dante were the same Dante in the same universe if they wanted to and they wouldn't even have to explain the Angel powers if they didn't feel like it. no one would think it made sense but it's Capcom's decision. the only choice we have is if we are willing to buy the game.

ReRave

smug jerk
the phrase Parallel universe does not state or imply in any way that the two worlds will interact or that anyone in ether of the two worlds will be aware of the other. DmC and Devil May Cry1-4 are part of the same franchise but DmC is not canon to the original storyline therefore they are parallel universes interaction is possible if Capcom wants to do that but if they don't it doesn't make it not a parallel universe.

the word "Parallel" refers to two lines that do not intersect so universes that never interact would fit the term "Parallel universe" more accurately than ones that do interact at some point.

DmC is not unrelated to Devil May Cry it is part of the same franchise (yes, just because Capcom says so but there are enough similarities to justify it). Bayonetta is not. Capcom cannot make Bayonetta a parallel universe to Devil May Cry because Bayonetta is a series made by Platinum games for Sega. Capcom has no control over Bayonetta canon, but if Capcom bought the copyright for Bayonetta from Sega than yes they could say it was a parallel universe (it would make more sense to make it part of the same universe as Devil May Cry but that isn't really part of this discussion). Capcom has control over all details of the canon of all series they own. they could say that Mega Man and Devil May Cry are parallel universes (or the same universe) if they wanted to. it would make absolutely no sense but it would be completely 100% canon.

and yes that does mean that DmC Dante is DMC Dante in a parallel universe and not a completely new character with the same name and yes it is just because Capcom says so. i think there are enough similarities to justify it. you do not. it doesn't really matter what we think makes sense. if Capcom says they are the same they are. if they wanted to they could say that DmC Dante and DMC Dante were the same Dante in the same universe if they wanted to and they wouldn't even have to explain the Angel powers if they didn't feel like it. no one would think it made sense but it's Capcom's decision. the only choice we have is if we are willing to buy the game.

Quote for simple, but well presented fact, that is also pretty much everything I could ever say on this topic. Well done.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y

Bayonetta has many similarities for it to be a parallel universe. That's something many people who played or watched Bayonetta commented on. "A female version of DMC".

Capcom does not have the right of people's perceptions. People can decide based on logic which character is really Dante, and which isn't. They can't go against what Capcom has said, but people can say why it's not the same character. It's not like "Ok, we at Capcom have decided Donkey Kong is now our new Dante", and my mind's perception of Dante changes to Donkey Kong.
And that is the reason why so many critizied DmC's character.

And gamers have big power over game companies. We are just not united. If we are we can easily affect game companies. Just saying that to prove that we do have other choice than "buy or get lost". Not that i want to go in a group to stop DmC, but it would be good for gamers to work against game companies that clearly is doing bad things.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Bayonetta is similar but by it's self that does not make it a parallel universe it is a separate franchise made by a different company.

saying Dante is not Dante is not logic it is being in denial. as the owner of Devil May Cry Capcom decides all details of the canon not fan theories and complaints. it does not matter what you think of when you think of the name Dante he is not your character. Dante is whatever Capcom says he is because Dante belongs to Capcom. Capcom does not own Donkey Kong but that is the only reason why Capcom can't make Dante and Donkey Kong the same character. it's not a matter of opinion. you can think it is stupid and refuse to acknowledge DmC Dante but that does not make DmC Dante not Dante.

Gamers do only have the choice to buy the game or not buy it. Capcom than will decide based on sales if they should make more Devil May Cry games and what those games should be if they do make them. fans can complain but if Capcom decides not to listen the only choices are to buy the game anyway or live without Devil May Cry and hope Capcom makes a Devil May Cry game they approve of.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Bayonetta is similar but by it's self that does not make it a parallel universe it is a separate franchise made by a different company.
DmC is also a separate game, but if you were to think past the boundaries of papers: then Bayonetta is a parallel world to DMC.

saying Dante is not Dante is not logic it is being in denial. as the owner of Devil May Cry Capcom decides all details of the canon not fan theories and complaints. it does not matter what you think of when you think of the name Dante he is not your character. Dante is whatever Capcom says he is because Dante belongs to Capcom. Capcom does not own Donkey Kong but that is the only reason why Capcom can't make Dante and Donkey Kong the same character. it's not a matter of opinion. you can think it is stupid and refuse to acknowledge DmC Dante but that does not make DmC Dante not Dante.
It's denial only from your perspective because you accept these things. If Capcom one day made a new DMC game and the main character was named Dante (but was actually Link from LoZ), then by your logic - Zelda would be Dante. And that's not right.
It is stupid, and that's the reason why they made that joke of a Devil trigger with white hair and red jacket. And what makes DmC Dante DMC Dante? The similarities? If you look past name then Nero has more similarities with Dante than DmC Dante.
And clearly name or should i say label of a character has little to say, because Capcom (or Ninja theory) have to keep proving that it's the same Dante. Not that he is. The only major thing that makes Capcom have the right to offically say "This is Dante" is because they owe the rights. But that does not mean people will bend down to their papers. People will just disagree.

Gamers do only have the choice to buy the game or not buy it. Capcom than will decide based on sales if they should make more Devil May Cry games and what those games should be if they do make them. fans can complain but if Capcom decides not to listen the only choices are to buy the game anyway or live without Devil May Cry and hope Capcom makes a Devil May Cry game they approve of.
Clearly Capcom listens to gamers because they changed E3 DmC Dante. And gamers are the ones paying for games, so if Capcom keep going at their pace and ignore gamers - only less cash for them. And it's not going great for them lately.
I have to say though that you reminded me of the "Capcom has rights" thing. And it makes me discussing this more just stupid :p
But logic keeps bringing me back into discussign same thing over and over lol.

Domenic93

Ok I think that this theory is a little out there, but I may have an explanation for why some people say dante's personality changes so much in every game. It may be that something like what happens with "The Doctor" happens with dante except instead of also changing alot physically it's just his personality where certain traits are just rearranged and are more prominant.

Top Bottom