• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Sales so far

AlchemistFromEden

Yes, I am quite annoyed that the game isn't doing better, I believe it to be the best the in the series. I don't understand how garbage like Resident Evil 6 sells, yet quality games like DmC don't. Annoying.
resident evil is a quality game just like this one, capcom worked their asses off when they made re6

D H

Nice job comparing the sales number of a game that hasn't even been out of 3 months to games that have been out for 4 years and up.

I never mentioned Devil May Cry 4. Capcom said they wanted to ship 2,000,000 by the end of March. A mere week or two after launch, they revised that to 1,200,000 shipped by the end of March. That has nothing to do with Devil May Cry 4. Capcom was the one who made the revisions, so it is Capcom who has the lack of confidence in the game. And unless something drastic changes, I don't see sales picking up (especially when the Next Gen consoles are right around the corner).

But while we're on the topic of DMC 4, since you brought it up, let's compare sales, shall we? DmC sold around 400,000 according to most sources and 610,000 according to VGChartz. That's over a million less than what Devil May Cry 4 was selling in the same time period. And DmC is also dropping faster than Devil May Cry 4 as well. DMC 4 also happened to sell over Capcom's expectations in a single month while DmC has undersold Capcom's expectations by quite a bit.

Yes, I am quite annoyed that the game isn't doing better, I believe it to be the best the in the series. I don't understand how garbage like Resident Evil 6 sells, yet quality games like DmC don't. Annoying.

Quality is in the eye of the beholder (I myself was quite disappointed with DmC). Also, Resident Evil is a hell of a lot more well known and a much bigger franchise than Devil May Cry ever was. Resident Evil 6, no matter how sh**y it is, was going to sell millions no matter what. Add in the fact that DMC is in a niche genre and...

P*ssing off fans + terrible PR + niche genre + crappy advertisements (as usual) = very poor sales.

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
****ed off fans? I hate that argument, "Fans" that don't even TRY the new offers of their franchise sicken me, "Fans" that want the same game over and over (See Mario fans) are just the worst IMO. I would rather have the DmC series than a DMC4 with different stages every year...I mean it.

Many fans thought the concept was interesting, but haters made the game seem like Duke Nukem Forever (a 2/10), when it's actually a really really good game, things like this game Deserve to sell, while COD and Colonial Marines do not.

I agree on the "terrible PR" part.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
resident evil is a quality game just like this one, capcom worked their asses off when they made re6

Slightly disagree. They may have worked their asses off, but they didn't do it efficiently enough to "Return to Form" like they said they were going to.

It's all a matter of planning, organization, and sticking to schedule when it comes to execution. I don't think they did any of these things right.

I know you work in animation, so, you know about these things better than I do. However, you also know, that like in any other job, there's a risk of something getting in the way.

All the more so, in animation, I gather, due to the maintenance in consistency in art (that's why you find a lot of mistakes in animated movies, etc.)

So, yes -- final point. Hard workers, not enough organization and work efficiency (the two aren't mutually exclusive, but you get the idea).

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Fans have no problem with trying something new, but when you change the reason they became a fan in the first place then you have a big problem.

Me being a massive long time fan of the Duke Nukem franchise is Duke himself, I've enjoyed all the Duke games, whether they are FPS games, third person shooters, platformers or even sidescrollers, I love em all because the reason I'm a huge fan is still there and unchanged.

For me, DMC was the cool and fun characters, awesome fast paced gameplay, great challenges, and addicting music. All that is either gone or just ruined in this new DmC, if they kept all that stuff in this new DmC then I'd be more forgiving, but it all just disgusts me. I'm happy it's selling badly so either I'll get the DMC I became a fan of or it can just die. I'm fine with either way.

Zato-OW

King
****ed off fans? I hate that argument, "Fans" that don't even TRY the new offers of their franchise sicken me, "Fans" that want the same game over and over (See Mario fans) are just the worst IMO. I would rather have the DmC series than a DMC4 with different stages every year...I mean it.

Many fans thought the concept was interesting, but haters made the game seem like Duke Nukem Forever (a 2/10), when it's actually a really really good game, things like this game Deserve to sell, while COD and Colonial Marines do not.

I agree on the "terrible PR" part.
What are you talking about? No one is asking for the same thing over and over. DMC1-3 are all different style of games. They are all stylish action but they are all different. DMC3/4 are the most similar because the follow the same format which is a deep combat system.

The issue with DMC4 is that they gave us a new main character but ruined the story of the main character by throwing in a cliche boy save girl plot. Then they turn around and place Dante in the game as a playable character only to half ass him with watered down styles and 80% of his moves being a rehash from the other games and on top of that a filler story just to make him playable. They basically gave you all the styles which was a bad idea in the first place but then they turn around and nerf the most popular ones which is trickster and sword master. Capcom was just being plain stupid with this game. It wasn't a bad game at all though but you can tell they didn't really try with DMC4. I can go on about the problems with DMC4 but the game didn't warrant a reboot at all. It was still a good solid game that sold very well. Capcom issue here is trying to make money trying to turn their games into a casual fest with all this "westernizing" crap they are trying to push. They are trying to get GOW sales and its a backlash.

The fans are just asking Capcom to put quality work into DMC and stop trying these stupid marketing schemes just to sell a title on the same level as a game like GOW sales. As far as DMC always being the same then you need your head checked because they are all different. The only thing that is the same in this one is the rehashing of Dante's abilities from the previous game being too similar. Nero was a very new edition, even though he was super casual to play with.

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
What are you talking about? No one is asking for the same thing over and over. DMC1-3 are all different style of games. They are all stylish action but they are all different. DMC3/4 are the most similar because the follow the same format which is a deep combat system.

The issue with DMC4 is that they gave us a new main character but ruined the story of the main character by throwing in a cliche boy save girl plot. Then they turn around and place Dante in the game as a playable character only to half ass him with watered down styles and 80% of his moves being a rehash from the other games and on top of that a filler story just to make him playable. They basically gave you all the styles which was a bad idea in the first place but then they turn around and nerf the most popular ones which is trickster and sword master. Capcom was just being plain stupid with this game. It wasn't a bad game at all though but you can tell they didn't really try with DMC4. I can go on about the problems with DMC4 but the game didn't warrant a reboot at all. It was still a good solid game that sold very well. Capcom issue here is trying to make money trying to turn their games into a casual fest with all this "westernizing" crap they are trying to push. They are trying to get GOW sales and its a backlash.

The fans are just asking Capcom to put quality work into DMC and stop trying these stupid marketing schemes just to sell a title on the same level as a game like GOW sales. As far as DMC always being the same then you need your head checked because they are all different. The only thing that is the same in this one is the rehashing of Dante's abilities from the previous game being too similar. Nero was a very new edition, even though he was super casual to play with.

That's not what I saw on forums, everyone wanted DMC3 and DMC3 ONLY. DMC3 gameplay, DMC3 everything

I Love DMC3, but DmC was far more interesting than another asspull character meeting Dante in a nonsensical plot (definitely a DMC5)...Hate me if you want, but even if the game is "failing" I love what they did. I really do, despite it's flaws.

Zato-OW

King
That's not what I saw on forums, everyone wanted DMC3 and DMC3 ONLY. DMC3 gameplay, DMC3 everything

I Love DMC3, but DmC was far more interesting than another asspull character meeting Dante in a nonsensical plot (definitely a DMC5)...Hate me if you want, but even if the game is "failing" I love what they did. I really do, despite it's flaws.
Well on the "forums" I've seen people say DMC3 was the last "great" DMC game which is true. I've never seen someone say "hey I want DMC3 again" or anything of that nature. People just want the same quality they put in DMC3 to be put in future DMC games. With this generation of consoles you can do so much and be much more creative but as we seen even with this new DmC game its still nothing impressive. DmC is a good/decent game but its nothing close to amazing just as DMC4 was. Honestly they should always focus on the game play first and then plot 2nd and everything else after. The game play and characters are what made DMC popular in the first place.

Nelo_Vergil

why are people still fighting like morons? they can't even let a useless thread die without having their pride hurt

Top Bottom