• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC Goes to Hollywood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackiexylon

what if... what if dante says "I need to reload" NO! THIS SHT AINT HAPPENIN! TELL ME THIS SHT AINT HAPPENIN! THEYRE GONNA RUIN A FKIN GOOD FRANCHISE! IMA SLICE MYSELF TO PIECES AND LET MY DOG BURY MY REMAINS UNDER THE FREAKIN HOUSE OF WHOEVER IS GONNA DO THIS! SO I COULD HAUNT HIS FREAKIN SOUL! I SWEAR! I GOT MY KATANA HERE WITH MEH!

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
^Errr, sorry to burst your bubble there but the series was classed as 'ruined to the extent of no return' when they released the trailer for the new DMC game. This is nothing compared to the new game. As far as I'm concerned, at the major fan-hate evoked by the trailer for DmC, the series can't get any more 'ruined' than it already is.
So the movie thing is just...meh. If all hope was destroyed with the reveal of the new DMC game, then logically nobody should be hoping the movie will be any better.

aoshi

This is good news which is better than new dmc trailer. All i hope is they make characters as good as the game. CHris redfield was an awesome character in RE 5 but was reduced to nothing in the movie. I hope they don't treat vergil as an add-on but give him fair role.

I would really appreciate it if special effects were avoided. It is really hard to sync live characters with illusions.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
jackiexylon;301698 said:
they could still fix it you know.. if they give the franchise to a better company

But Capcom are the ones who are forbidding the previous "unpopular eastern" DMC formula. They are the ones who are forcing change and by the sounds of it they are not planning on handing over total control to anyone. Hoping for the return of the old DMC seems like a lost cause at this point.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I wonder why it is that video game-to-movie adaptations always seem sub-par? Considering the film-makers have the basic premise and characters or enemies already created for them, you'd think it would be easier for them to concentrate on making the films decent in other areas, and come out with something that could stand alongside original films in quality.

But most of them are terrible. The Resident Evil films are such in name only, and Anderson's direction has gone down the toilet... let's not even mention Mr. Boll. SH and POP were fair movie adaptations, but only just. SH managed to capture some of the atmosphere and macabre of the games but I still found it kind of uninvolving (considering this game is the only game franchise to have ever scared the crap out of me). POP was visually adequate, but it wasn't a "good" film as films go, or any sort of masterpiece. Why this is I'm not sure - is it that as fans of video games our expectation cannot be met... because on the one hand we expect something that tastes just like the game and fits our imagination and expectation, and is as involving and exciting as the game, and this just can't be (maybe because many video game characters can never look like actual human beings, or would look weird or laughable as actual human beings, and for another would simply look silly and completely overblown doing some of the stunts they do in the games - Dante riding on rocket, anyone?); not forgetting that you'll already have figured the basic story from being a fan, and watching something just isn't as involving as playing and interacting with it.

At first I thought it's because film companies will always try to cater to the lowest common denominator, dumbing down the film so anyone - fan or not - is supposed to be able to understand, enjoy, and pay cash to see it. By that reasoning, you'd expect directors who seem to be doing it for their own enjoyment or for a niche audience, like Uwe Boll or Paul Anderson, would therefore make ace films that'd give us a gigantic geekgasms, with proper attention to details. But no. So is it just two extreme methods that tend to ruin the adaptations, or what? One extreme just wants to dumb it up full of cliche and be for a wider audience, and the other is self-indulgent film-making at its worst? When is someone going to come along and bring a videogame to a silver screen that people will walk away from feeling that it was more than "all right"? I believe it CAN be done. but I don't necessarily believe it should be done, just for the sake of it.

I really don't see the problem with taking a game, say DMC3 (because it has enough characters), and adapting that game as it is, for film - not introducing any 'original' material or new premises, but just taking the thing and making it into either a CG movie, or a real one. Why are they so afraid of doing that? Because after the track record of game-to-movies thus far - that usually introduce new characters (and not necessarily ones we give a flying feck about), or else coming up with a completely original story that just isn't as exciting or interesting as the ones we know from the games - I really think someone should try it, just once. You know - proper fanservice. For the loyal fans (I couldn't give a crap about non-fans being able to enjoy something that I like and have been a fan of for ten years!).

Every time I see them write original characters or stories for game films they always seem to fall flat for me. I want a movie of a game I've played - otherwise you might as well go away and come up with your own characters, ideas, and plots and not call it "Resident Evil", etc.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
I personally hope DMC never becomes a movie. Movies based on video games never work because they change so that everyone can understand it and enjoy it. (Its profit) Video game fans will never get a decent adaption so DMC say in the video game world!

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
Sparda's rejected son;301914 said:
I personally hope DMC never becomes a movie. Movies based on video games never work because they change so that everyone can understand it and enjoy it. (Its profit) Video game fans will never get a decent adaption so DMC say in the video game world!

I felt that the only exception was a non-profit movie called MGS: Philantropy. I felt it worked because it was a game made by MGS fans for MGS fans simply for the love of the series not profit.
Not a movie made by Paul Anderson for anyone who likes kung-fu and big explosions.:rolleyes:

Osaka

trollololol
Uwe Boll for director! David Beckham for Dante! Edward Pattinson for Vergil! Who's with me??!!!111

Klawed Flaw

Fallout Nut
Mr. T for Nero. Nero will be awesome to everyone then, or he would be pitying himself and calling himself a fool watching himself pity fools.

I say we make Mr. T Agnus just because Mr. T could make Agnus a less disturbing sight. Next off, the Nostalgia Critic gets to be Dante because he could pull it off. Just don't put a Guess Who game in the movie. We'll need Jester to be played by some nutcase from the local criminally insane institute, just because. Oh, and Duke Nukeum comes back with Johnny Depp playing as Tim Burton. It'll be the most DMC like thing ever! Nero gets played by the guy who played the second black Power Ranger since the original might offend people too much. Agnus will be Captain Quark from Ratchet and Clank in this movie since he seems like he enjoys crossdressing.

I wonder how many people would even watch such a strange joke film...

Osaka

trollololol
Klawed Flaw;302013 said:
Mr. T for Nero. Nero will be awesome to everyone then, or he would be pitying himself and calling himself a fool watching himself pity fools.

I say we make Mr. T Agnus just because Mr. T could make Agnus a less disturbing sight.

Wait, your making Mr T do 2 roles? I don't think he'd like that. Let him stick to being Nero. Carmen Electra as Kyrie. Nickolarse Cage could play Agnus. Also Sparda makes his surprise return in the film - Jordan Prentice. Because let's face it, every good film should have at least one sceen stealing midget in them.

Osaka

trollololol
^ It'll ever give you a good laugh or make you cry.

Needs to have a Shakespearean actor in there somewhere, so let's stick Ian Mckellen in as Mundus - "Ah Mr Sparda, I have been expecting you." *strokes cat* And since Arnold says he's making a return to films, he could be shoe-horned into the role of Credo.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Haha, they should have made that Arnold version of "Hamlet". That would've been AWESOME.

Klawed Flaw

Fallout Nut
Osaka;302025 said:
Wait, your making Mr T do 2 roles? I don't think he'd like that. Let him stick to being Nero. Carmen Electra as Kyrie. Nickolarse Cage could play Agnus. Also Sparda makes his surprise return in the film - Jordan Prentice. Because let's face it, every good film should have at least one sceen stealing midget in them.

Now that's the best idea ever.

Vincent Price comes back from the dead to play as Zigzag, and still is constantly rhyming.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think this movie has a 50% chance of success.
-the main problem is that dante isn't a character you can care about outside of a game because you cant play as him. the animated series was proof that .
-So just adapt DMC3 since it has the most compelling story and the most compelling version of dante and then go off on a new direction. The new direction is needed since what works in a game wont work in a movie. Besides DMC doesn't have a direction that is worth adapting since the series never had a consistent director or vision. Capcom is basically just running around in a circle with the games.
- the only thing you would have to add is some info on why vergil and dante fell out of favor with each other and what happened a year before the game.
- set the series within the ten years between DMC3 and DMC1 which is a period untouched and untapped by writers. Series should be DMC3 first, 2 3 and 4 would be original material that builds up to the events of DMC1 and then end the movies series with DMC1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom