• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC director didn't ask the designers to make Dante look like him

Gaflima

Son of no one.
Tameem Antoniades, chief creative ninja and co-founder of Ninja Theory, has responded to suggestions that the studio's redesign of Devil May Cry's Dante is based on him.

Speaking in a candid interview with PSM3, Antoniades was asked what he thought of online chatter about the reboot. Among the internet sourced drivel was the theory that Dante is modelled on him, which he quickly dismissed after a little self-deprecating humour.
"What can I say? He's a decade and a half younger than me, way better looking... The only thing he's got is black hair. And he's male," he said.
"I didn't design the character. I didn't go to our designers and say, 'I think it's a really good idea if we make the new Dante look like me, because I want to be in the game.' They'd laugh at me. They'd throw me out the window."
In the interview he also said the "original concepts were very close to the original DMC, taking mixtures of the previous four games and creating a new interpretation".
Apparently Capcom wasn't too fond of Ninja Theory's safe redesign and demanded something a little more unique.
"Capcom said something which they've said to us often, which is, 'if it was going to be the same as the old DMC, why would we give this project to you guys? The reason is to surprise us, to come up with a reinvention. To create something we couldn't have conceived in Japan.'"

Source:http://www.computerandvideogames.co...sk-the-designers-to-make-dante-look-like-him/

ImPoSsSibLe to CaTcH

This is why capcom are more guilty in this. I've seen people insulting Ninja Theory and even though they deserve it they should do the same for capcom because they deserve it even more... Keiji Inafune and Itsuno-san in particular but lets get back to what NinjaTam says.... lets pretend for a moment that we believe that he didn't force the designers(who are under his command) to make him look like him then what has he been doing for the past 2 years? I don't believe that for such a long time he didn't take a look at least once and say hey he looks like me. After all this capcom will get the surprise they wanted but it won't be a good one like with DMC4.

I believe this image says it all.
View attachment 110

When this is all finished and D*C dies i expect Ninja Theory to do the right thing and show us those concepts where Dante actually looks like Dante.

Tiran

The great pretender.
****!NG FINALLY, WE ADDRESS THIS!!!!!!

Why did it take this long to stop skirting around the 'similar looks' issue?
Do you know just how much bullshit could have been averted if this question had been tackled and released a year and a half ago!!! MY god, this pr is atrocious!

NOW, pull up your pants and face the criticism like ****!ng men guys!!! Let's hear more about the inner workings. Bring us deeper into your mindset. Either crush rumors or verify them!

Geez, defending this game is like defending modern music!

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta

Do you know just how much bullshit could have been averted if this question had been tackled and released a year and a half ago!!! MY god, this pr is atrocious!

NOW, pull up your pants and face the criticism like ****!ng men guys!!! Let's hear more about the inner workings. Bring us deeper into your mindset. Either crush rumors or verify them!

The difference is defending modern music is defending something that cannot be fixed.

ZeroLove

Because this isn't really all that an important issue other than to the more butthurt fanboys who can't let go of the smallest, insignificant details and just wants to find things to complain about. In my opinion, Tameem Antoniades and Ninja Theory should just have ignored it and answer to some of the important issues, those which actually have significance to the game itself.

Tiran

The great pretender.
Unfortunately, this issue not being confronted very early on is one of the reasons that the hate wagon rolls like the ball in Katamari Damacy. Yes, it is far too late now and that's my issue with this annoying game of catch-up the they seem to be doing lately.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
Unfortunately, this issue not being confronted very early on is one of the reasons that the hate wagon rolls like the ball in Katamari Damacy. Yes, it is far too late now and that's my issue with this annoying game of catch-up the they seem to be doing lately.
nice katamari reference

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Ιt wouldn't have made any difference. Haters would either say "of course he'd deny that" or focus to the other "awesome" theory that Dante looks like the fairy from Twilight.

You can never stop people if they actually want to just rage. Sadly.

mrrandomlulz

In the end of this skeptics vs supporters it goes down like this,
the developers get butthurt that the skeptics don't like their game, the skeptics then get butthurt at the developers words and make mean words back, this makes the supporters butthurt and they try to butthurt the skeptics, but only the developers can butthurt the skeptics, the skeptics then school there ass in the way of the butthurtness and in the end it is all one big pain in the A**

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
@chocolateghost WAY OFF TOPIC WARNING!!

your sig really looks like Dante is getting serious h**d!!

ONTOPIC
Like i said before it was nice of Tam to address this issue but i think i could of lived without the interviewer asking that question. Like ZWieLove said, there are plenty of important issues concerning DmC that are far more important than raging fanboys trying to be funny.

Tiran

The great pretender.
I have NEVER stated outright that this game was going to be good. I want a reason to. The wait for new info isn't what kills me, it's the fear that what we get won't have been worth the wait. I don't want to hear "we've got a lot more to show" just for me to go 'Meh, that it?' in the end. Stop defending yourselves and WOW me, Motherf*ckers!

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Pretty obvious I'm a skeptic (looks a member title) and yes I was one of the ones who thought he self inserted himself into the game initialy. It was a legitimate gripe I had with that notion. It was not just me being "butthurt" and finding something to complain about. I would be just as angry if Tite Kubo (author of Bleach) self inserted himself into his story and made himself a hero. And the fact is that I LOVE bleach with a passion.

So its not about me finding insignificant stuff to complain about because I'm not liking everything about this new direction. Its about me not wanting a developer to over step his bounds by trying to insert himself into a game.

Now do I believe his words?

I'm not sure, Tameen honestly hasn't given me any reason to trust and hang on to every word his spills.

But he could POSSIBLY be telling the truth, who knows for sure really except for himself and the guys around him.

mrrandomlulz

Really when it comes to self-inserts, the key is knowing where they belong, and where to draw the line at the amount of traits you've inserted, for instance, I am perfectly fine with them in comedies.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Really when it comes to self-inserts, the key is knowing where they belong, for instance, I am perfectly fine with them in comedies.

I'm fine with a simple "nod" to the developer.

If he had self inserted himself as just some unnamed civilian in the game than I would be perfectly fine with it.

But once you self insert yourself as the main character it becomes a problem IMO.

Top Bottom