• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Devil May Cry was released on Xbox 360/PS3 three years ago...

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
So I figured now's as good a time as any to reminisce about the first time you guys played this game and what you thought of it. So much can change in just three years!

Three years ago, I was still living with my parents. When the game released, I wasn't even - what you can consider - a gamer. I had a PlayStation Vita and I kept up with gameplay videos (preferably TheRadBrad), but that was it. Then one day, I saw a picture of Dante on Tumblr, and thought to myself, "damn, that guy is hot." So I looked him up on YouTube and watched a movie edit of DmC. I liked it. I even posted several screens on my Tumblr account (screens taken from the YT video, yes it was bad). Anyways, a few weeks later I ended up buying a used copy of DmC and Uncharted 2 for the PS3. I didn't even have a PS3 back then! I was so happy with them I had them lying next to my pillow in bed.

Summer 2013, and I was finally able to afford a PS3. Of course, the first game I played on it was DmC, because I had the game already. I was not ready to handle how much I was going to fall in love with the game. The first thing I fell in love with was the environment. I was straight up drooling, sitting there in the living room. I also liked the use of angel and demon pull, and thought the combat was smooth and very enjoyable. (Plus, I still thought Dante was hot! It took me, I think, two months before I changed my Tumblr name to dantesbooty.)

Three years have passed and my parents are not in the country anymore, I finished numerous therapy sessions, I began and quit college, found a different job and now I'm here. Me and a friend were thinking about sending Ninja Theory a book containing several fanarts of the game as a way to say thanks but since I missed this deadline I thought it could be a good idea for the fifth anniversary. 2018, so much could be different for me by then, but some things can still be the same. DmC can still be one of my favorite games, and you'll all still know me here as Ducky or SSSensational.

Anyways, even if I did enjoy the game very much, I didn't expect it to end up being one of my all-time favorites. That's something I didn't see coming. I guess you could say - and I warn you, it's that cheesy John Green quote - I fell in love (with DmC) the way you fall asleep, slowly at first, then all at once.

11lsi79.jpg

I'd love to hear your stories!

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
been following the development ever since i know about it and the fact that i'm a fan of devil may cry series..
while many including some of my friends were critizing it on the development stages, i personally prefer and liked it..

the first footage i came across was that junkie looking smoking dante, and i do prefer a rather skinny, dark, messy untreated character, so i was very much looking forward for the finished game..

by the time i got a gaming pc --way after the game was released-- DmC was the first game i had my hands on.. was surprised by how different it turned out compared to the development stages.. but oh man, i enjoyed it verymuch, the animation is what got me the most, then the rebellion design and how it was able to appear when dante needs it..

the game really took my time playing, it was so damn fun.. there was a time when squeenix is my best thing of gaming, and NT is currently it for now.. and ofc, DmC is one of my all time favourite..

DmC is probably the one game i'm dying to get a sequel

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
My experience with DmC? Well, around the time the game actually came out, I took a break from the forums. I was here before it was released, talking about it, seeing arguments against its radical 'changes' etc., I honestly didn't know what to expect from it. I borrowed the game from a friend who owned it, and...well, quite honestly I thought it was great. I really didn't get the amount of backlash it had received. However, I'm someone who understands that it wasn't going to appeal to all DMC fans. I never thought, nor did I expect it to. But, for me, it did its job and I really appreciate the amount of work that went into it. Not only that, but they followed up with the Definitive Edition, and you can't really get better than that for what they did.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
When I played the regular edition myself, I understood the backlash -- however, I didn't let that deter me from enjoying the game.

Anyway, you yourself saw my control scheme for Definitive Edition. I loved the message, the music, and the fact that they even bothered to give us an improved version to begin with.

While we may never see a sequel, that doesn't mean that someone out there won't launch a Kickstarter campaign and make a spiritual successor for us...

sssensational

Supporter 2014
been following the development ever since i know about it and the fact that i'm a fan of devil may cry series..
while many including some of my friends were critizing it on the development stages, i personally prefer and liked it..

the first footage i came across was that junkie looking smoking dante, and i do prefer a rather skinny, dark, messy untreated character, so i was very much looking forward for the finished game..

by the time i got a gaming pc --way after the game was released-- DmC was the first game i had my hands on.. was surprised by how different it turned out compared to the development stages.. but oh man, i enjoyed it verymuch, the animation is what got me the most, then the rebellion design and how it was able to appear when dante needs it..

the game really took my time playing, it was so damn fun.. there was a time when squeenix is my best thing of gaming, and NT is currently it for now.. and ofc, DmC is one of my all time favourite..

DmC is probably the one game i'm dying to get a sequel

I don't know if I should be grateful or bummed that I missed out on DmC development process. Waiting around in anticipating to see more and more of the game as it develops... it's fun watching Hellblade come to life. But then again, yes, I know how - let's just say - low expectations were. I'm glad I avoided that.

Looking at PC versions of many AAA titles, I'm grateful that DmC was done so well. I can't remember which studio did it, though. The game runs and looks really great and the mods that have been created for it are spectacular. (Mods for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, on the other hand, is pretty slim pickins. My other favorite game to play, if you're wondering.)

absolitude

I don't know if I should be grateful or bummed that I missed out on DmC development process. Waiting around in anticipating to see more and more of the game as it develops... it's fun watching Hellblade come to life. But then again, yes, I know how - let's just say - low expectations were. I'm glad I avoided that.

Looking at PC versions of many AAA titles, I'm grateful that DmC was done so well. I can't remember which studio did it, though. The game runs and looks really great and the mods that have been created for it are spectacular. (Mods for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, on the other hand, is pretty slim pickins. My other favorite game to play, if you're wondering.)

i personally don't know if i'm grateful or bummed after following the development, the final game was really different--kinda missed the stage where it's looking closer to the finished game, i didn't expect getting something that was somewhat 'realistic' -- well yeah, there's a bit of disappointment there for that, but it's a really satisfying game anyway and kinda made me forgot what i've seen in the development stages..

so how do you find the replay value in MGRR? i'm more into that game for the cools, cool lead, cool villains, cool swords, cool mechs, cool sombrero, cools..

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Decided to give a chance so I bought it 1 month after release for half-price. Played it in one day and put it away for weeks. Than my bud said he buy it of me for same price I bought it. So I got my platinum in 2 days, sold it off and never looked back.

sssensational

Supporter 2014
so how do you find the replay value in MGRR? i'm more into that game for the cools, cool lead, cool villains, cool swords, cool mechs, cool sombrero, cools..

The mods are part of the reason why I have hundreds of hours into the PC version of DmC, and because MGR:R doesn't have that, the playtime for that game is significantly less. But that doesn't mean that I don't still love it when I do end up playing it again after a few months have passed.

Though I would argue that to me, DmC has a higher replay value. Perhaps it's the way the menu is designed but I find it easier to jump into any mission I feel like playing at any given difficulty (I know it's also an option for MGR:R). Plus, I find DmC's Bloody Palace mode to be more enjoyable than MGR:R sidemissions. I forgot what they called them.

Overall, DmC and MGR:R are games I enjoy a lot, but I wouldn't compare them to one another. The latter makes it easy for me to feel like a badass while I face off gigantic enemies, whereas the former is a game I for some reason formed an emotional connection to and enjoy on a whole other level.

But this wasn't a "DmC or MGR:R" thread, so I'll get back on topic. :) I'm curious, what are the most memorable moments of DmC for you guys? Based on the votes here and on Tumblr, I'll be creating a gifset based on that.

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
So I figured now's as good a time as any to reminisce about the first time you guys played this game and what you thought of it. So much can change in just three years!

Three years ago, I was still living with my parents. When the game released, I wasn't even - what you can consider - a gamer. I had a PlayStation Vita and I kept up with gameplay videos (preferably TheRadBrad), but that was it. Then one day, I saw a picture of Dante on Tumblr, and thought to myself, "damn, that guy is hot." So I looked him up on YouTube and watched a movie edit of DmC. I liked it. I even posted several screens on my Tumblr account (screens taken from the YT video, yes it was bad). Anyways, a few weeks later I ended up buying a used copy of DmC and Uncharted 2 for the PS3. I didn't even have a PS3 back then! I was so happy with them I had them lying next to my pillow in bed.

Summer 2013, and I was finally able to afford a PS3. Of course, the first game I played on it was DmC, because I had the game already. I was not ready to handle how much I was going to fall in love with the game. The first thing I fell in love with was the environment. I was straight up drooling, sitting there in the living room. I also liked the use of angel and demon pull, and thought the combat was smooth and very enjoyable. (Plus, I still thought Dante was hot! It took me, I think, two months before I changed my Tumblr name to dantesbooty.)

Three years have passed and my parents are not in the country anymore, I finished numerous therapy sessions, I began and quit college, found a different job and now I'm here. Me and a friend were thinking about sending Ninja Theory a book containing several fanarts of the game as a way to say thanks but since I missed this deadline I thought it could be a good idea for the fifth anniversary. 2018, so much could be different for me by then, but some things can still be the same. DmC can still be one of my favorite games, and you'll all still know me here as Ducky or SSSensational.

Anyways, even if I did enjoy the game very much, I didn't expect it to end up being one of my all-time favorites. That's something I didn't see coming. I guess you could say - and I warn you, it's that cheesy John Green quote - I fell in love (with DmC) the way you fall asleep, slowly at first, then all at once.

11lsi79.jpg

I'd love to hear your stories!
If DmC has sold 2 million copies, right around today's date is probably when we would have seen DmC2 and there would be no DMC5 in development. So as much as I'm not one of the people that hates this game, I actually like it, I am glad that it didn't do well so that we can get a sequel to the original series.

absolitude

what are the most memorable moments of DmC for you guys? Based on the votes here and on Tumblr, I'll be creating a gifset based on that.

gonna make a gifset out of those? noice

so many of them, but since it's the most memorable, i'm gonna have to go by the end of mission 2 - home truths, the small talk after dante got his eyes opened--yeah i'm kinda into serious stuffs--, dante's expression there is really deep, he's ****ed and sad, and he wants to know who's responsible.. that scene made me like dante's character more..

dunno how that could make a gif tho..

sssensational

Supporter 2014
gonna make a gifset out of those? noice

so many of them, but since it's the most memorable, i'm gonna have to go by the end of mission 2 - home truths, the small talk after dante got his eyes opened--yeah i'm kinda into serious stuffs--, dante's expression there is really deep, he's ****ed and sad, and he wants to know who's responsible.. that scene made me like dante's character more..

dunno how that could make a gif tho..

Oh yeah, this scene:
tumblr_nbls2oOVXV1t86mamo3_500.gif
tumblr_nbls2oOVXV1t86mamo1_500.gif
tumblr_nbls2oOVXV1t86mamo2_500.gif

I wish the game had more heartfelt scenes like that, I liked them a lot.

absolitude

Oh yeah, this scene:
tumblr_nbls2oOVXV1t86mamo3_500.gif
tumblr_nbls2oOVXV1t86mamo1_500.gif
tumblr_nbls2oOVXV1t86mamo2_500.gif

I wish the game had more heartfelt scenes like that, I liked them a lot.
mwahahahahahah.. yesssssss, see that? his expressions is perfect.. "i'm sad and ****ed and i'm doing it bro way" lol.. this scene is better than the ending imo --which should be the more devastating and heartfelt one..

i've been wanting to ask member here how to make gifs, so while we're at it, what are you using?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Better then 4 at least.

But in all seriousness.

I had only heard about the whole "reboot thing" way back when I was JUST still getting into DMC. I had joined the fandom around the middle of 2009 when DMC4 was still fresh. I had seen gameplay of the game before with Vergil back in 2006 and was intrested, but didn't look back until 2009. In 2009 Christmas time, I bought a used copy of DMC3 and DMC2 which came with it. It wasn't a surprise that I was really happy with the game and wanted to see more of the series. Of course I couldn't play DMC4 cause I still had a PS2 at the time, but when I saw that Nero replaced Dante and I only played as Dante for the last part of the game, I didn't have any real interest in getting it. So it was 2010 and as I sit there, playing DMC3, wondering what will come next in the series, I get an update on Youtube about a new Devil May Cry trailer and click on it.

And there he was.

Not the white haired, pizza eating, muscular douchebag hero in the red coat, but a black (and a bit of white at the top) haired, chain-smoking, skinny douchebag guy in a black and red jacket. Like everyone else, I was angry at what had happened because it was such a drastic change that came out of left field. (Even now I still feel it was too drastic a change) I followed it as much as I could and wondered why this happened, and what was going on. Like a lot of people, I got mad at NT for the change rather then at Capcom who were the pioneers of the changes to DMC in the first place. So for a while I was just as ****ed and angry as a lot of DMC fans about this change, and was convinced that I would never like the game or support it. I saw it as a completely different game just to find SOME interest in it. But I think this game came out also during the time I was getting started on my story writing, and I ended up using the design of new Dante of 2010 as a template for my original character. So that probably had a hand in me warming up to him and the reboot.

However, I then saw the gameplay trailer of 2011. This one.

So this was the trailer that more or less change my mind on whether or not I wanted to see more of this game. The way the music was, and the way the gameplay seemed to have been, was what drew me into seeing the game in a different light. And then the DT was shown to which I was like "OH **** ITS THE OLD DANTE STILL! THEY DIDN'T FORGET!" Then there was the church fight which had him defying gravity and flying in the air, and I was just so hyped seeing that because it reminded me of Kingdom Hearts 2 in defying gravity. So then came the gamescom trailer which was just solid gameplay the entire way through.
And the way the gameplay was and how the music built it up made me even more excited to see how it would all look in its final production. By then, I was immediately hooked on it. The look, the feel, the way it played, and so on.

From there, I was just happy all the way, and waited for the actual game to come out in 2013. I got it along with Lollipop Chainsaw for my little brother. Needless to say I had a blast playing it. I played the demo 100's of times before, but to have actually held the game and played it was a blast too. The only disappointing part was that my copy was used so it glitched out a lot for me, making me get a new copy rather then Bayonetta like my brother wanted. (We got Bayonetta anyway later on)

So that was my experience with it.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Being already a massive Devil May Cry fan, it was one of the few games I actually pre-ordered. Picked it up and beat it on the very first day in one sitting. Still play it to this day.

It's my second favorite Devil May Cry game. Ninja Theory did a great job with the remake, bringing some new stuff to the table, but also preserving what made Devil May Cry, Devil May Cry.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Like many, I was really ****ed at first. That was when the announcement trailer came out.
But something kept me interested, was it my interest in the franchise? Was it curiosity?
Was it the new type of setting? I don't remember.

But I watched every trailer that came out and the whole colorful designed landscapes, the changing level structure and even the design of Dante grew on me over time. I was less ****ed and more interested.
The trailers introduced me to new bands I came to like as well.
The first one being Glitch Mob.
Would've loved more music in that style in the game...
After that there was Combichrist.
That was what really got me hooked!

I don't really remember when the GamesCom event here in Germany was but I believe it was like half a year before release where I first got my hands on the game itself. I stood there in queue for what? 4 hours or something, sure felt like it. I got my hands on the gamepad and it was a blast, I played terrible lol.
I signed up here afterwards, being a long time forum reader before that.

When the Demo got released to the public I actually started ripping out the soundtrack out of it, as it had various samples within that secret racing mission.

Needless to say I got the game day one. Yes it had problems, yes it wasn't perfect. But what it was, was one thing: Freaking FUN!
I hadn't had that much fun with a hack and slay in a while. I actually bought the game on PC as well, still whishing we could get the Definitive version there as well, because I won't buy a next gen console.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
After being disappointed with 4, I was very tentative when I heard a new dmc was being made. Then a few weeks later I heard the explosion that was the initial trailer. When a friend told me "they changed his hair from white to black!" I remember thinking "did Dante pull a reverse Michael Jackson?"

Since I had prior experience with reboots, I knew what to expect and was interested in how Ninja Theory would re-imagine the world of dmc. I'm not a sociable person so I completely avoided the debates on anything DmC related. I just stuck to official updates. Then I played the demo and I was sold on thr gameplay.

I only played the vanilla version as I didn't feel the DE version had anything interesting to warrant playing it. Even so I loved the game and it's one of my favourite hack 'n slash games of recent years. I was genuinely disappointed when Hellblade was announced as I was hoping for DmC2.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
So, you consider it to be a remake of DMC1 then.

Story-wise, it's more like a combination of 1 and 3.

Anyway, I remember being open minded to this game. I remember the complaints and criticisms about it from the get go, long before people really knew anything. A lot of narrow mindedness, overshadowing people's perception of the game. A saddening thing to witness, it really was.

Top Bottom