• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Definitive Edition for PS4 & Xbox One

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Honestly, I wouldn't change much about DmC in the sequel. Retain the combat quality as it is, add in a few new moves, tougher bosses and improved storytelling and you've got yourself a potion for a better sequel than the first game.

In the meantime... March, get on with it.

Wild Stomp! Free Ride! Do eeeeeeeet!

If I could only make one request for a sequel, it would be a Gun Stinger.

Oh wait, yeah, and Gun Stinger! Do eeeeet agaaaaain!

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
if they do make a squel for DmC (hope they do) what things could they incorporate from other super-famous hack-and-slash, beat-em-up games (like Bayonetta 1 & 2, and Metal Gear Rising)

that slo-mo slashing from MGRR? only this time it's slo-mo pizza stuffing and eff you to the demons, with a huge eff word on screen slappin.. nah, but that'll be a cool joke.. more humour, more humour will do..

Dominus

if they do make a squel for DmC (hope they do) what things could they incorporate from other super-famous hack-and-slash, beat-em-up games (like Bayonetta 1 & 2, and Metal Gear Rising)
Hopefully they don't incorporate Metal Gear Rising's camera and QTES...

Reactions: XM.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I think DmC 2 should function like Bayonetta 2. It brings back all of the elements of the previous combat system, but just gives you more to do with it. More enemies, more bosses, more weapons...don't break what doesn't need fixing, just add more things to do.

Yeah, DmC's system is a brilliant refinement of what the classic built up, it just needs more to it. There's a whole lot of untapped potential

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I'm not buying DMC4 SE but I am interested in seeing Vergil's gameplay style.
After mulling it over for some time, I've decided that I'm only getting DMC4: SE if it has any substantial improvements than the original. As heretical as it might sound, I actually care less about Vergil being in the game, and more about what changes to the core game have been applied.

If there isn't a more substantial selling point than just Vergil being in the game, I'll just buy DmC: DE and stick to my PC version of DMC4.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
After mulling it over for some time, I've decided that I'm only getting DMC4: SE if it has any substantial improvements than the original. As heretical as it might sound, I actually care less about Vergil being in the game, and more about what changes to the core game have been applied.

If there isn't a more substantial selling point than just Vergil being in the game, I'll just buy DmC: DE and stick to my PC version of DMC4.
Exactly how I feel. I've always walked away from DMC 4 disappointed and bitter because it was a title I really wanted to love. Vergil shoehorned in there is not a selling point because for one, that game needs a major overhaul in design as is. Vergil's addition won't fix its glaring existing issues.

Two, it's just freaking Vergil. One of the lamest, generic, and boring characters in the original series. The latest Devil May Cry's version of Vergil is leaps and bounds above the original character who was nothing but a generic polar opposite evil twin. Which is a shame since there is the potential for a decent character study with him. (ignoring the obvious retcon and contradiction that is DMC 3 in the canon department) Someone who is so obsessed with gaining strength because he feels he failed to protect their mother, is some solid stuff to build upon a character that's suffering from severe post traumatic stress and other mental issues.

This is Devil May Cry, so it's not like I should be expecting much, but it's clear Itsuno wants you to take this crap serious and get invested in the more dramatic parts. You can't do that when you have such bland characters driving it. DMC 1 at least never tried to be anything more or less. It knew what it was. Itsuno and his team can't write for crap.

The cheesy self aware over the top stuff Devil May Cry is known for is totally fine, and the more dramatic stuff to break that apart. You can do both, DmC actually did that.

Itsuno and his team never had a handle on both of these concepts. The result is a mess of a narrative that's poorly written, that also get jarring in tone.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Itsuno delivered in the dramatic scenes. In both DMC3 and 4. The way he directed them is superb.
DmC's over the top scenes are awesome, just like DMC, but when it tries to get emotional, there I felt it an inferior direction. At least compared to 3 and 4. Leagues above 1 and 2 though, that's for sure.

As for Vergil, I found his DmC incarnation even more lame, with that sudden "change of heart" that anyone could see coming. But without the badassness of the original. His role was basically to explain Dante stuff, cause he's the smartass between the two. Not gonna lie, I yawned every time he was on screen, except during their last fight.
In Vergil's Downfall he's way more interesting... too bad it's too short, but it's a DLC after all.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Itsuno delivered in the dramatic scenes. In both DMC3 and 4. The way he directed them is superb.
DmC's over the top scenes are awesome, just like DMC, but when it tries to get emotional, there I felt it an inferior direction. At least compared to 3 and 4. Leagues above 1 and 2 though, that's for sure.
tumblr_mdl4xuv5UQ1rvv4qro1_400.gif

Are you being serious? Come on man. Really? ......REALLY?!

No. Itsuno is not very good. The difference between his directing and Kamiya's is that you can argue a spirit of self awareness and intentional camp lying even in the most dramatic parts of the game (which are seldom and peak with the most over the top cheese that is also one of the most memorable DMC scenes ever. You know the one.)

I won't really put much blame on the actors because it's more of the material. If the material and director is bad, it can downplay even talented actors. Just look at the Star Wars prequels and what he did to practically that entire cast. Are you gonna say people like Samuel L. Jackson are actually bad actors based on those terrible performances.

Tim Phillips and David DeLatour actually proved they are fairly decent actors and actually delivered emotional weight behind the more dramatic scenes. I know that you dig the originals over the reboot, that's fine, because I do too. But I'm not wearing rose tinted glasses on things I like and can point out where it effs up.

How the hell is "NERO" "KYRIE!" dramatic material that is to be taken seriously and called good? Kyrie is also about as cardboard as they come and some of her lines are delivered simply like she's reading off the script. Ugh. :vomit:

I know some of us here could have written that stuff better. I know I have plenty ideas for that game's script to improve it. Seriously, for the love of storytelling, don't give that dribble more credit than it deserves.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
As for Vergil, I found his DmC incarnation even more lame, with that sudden "change of heart" that anyone could see coming.

No, actually this was how i think NT are getting clueless and rushed and just snap the change of heart to the story.. Vergil on DmC started as the nice brother living his life in search of his twin, and while doing so he took care of Kat, embrace her, could see it from how Kat talked about him. Not one bit depicted that he's doing it for gain.. and not one bit before mundus took Kat that he's doing all of the order thing for power.. The way i see it, he was just one of those fed-up society, disgusted with capitalism, one world order and stuffs..

Then BOOM suddenly he doesn't care about Kat, and knowing mundus had an unborn changes everything, and now he wants to conquer the world? That's just rushed writing --AND i want to know who was rushing it, very much..

I was disappointed with the story, was expecting more something of the earliest trailers.. And this was also my reason leaning towards DMC 3 as the one with better story.. but i do love the character development on Dante's part, and actually loved vergil there --irony, especially on VD also

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
I agree that what happened in DmC in terms of story left much to be desired. I for one would've loved to see a smoother transition of Vergil turning from ally to enemy. But also, I would've loved to see more about the relationship between Kat and Vergil. Perhaps a mission (playable or not, I don't care) where he saves her like she said he did? That would've given him and Kat more backstory, and God knows they both need it.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
tumblr_mdl4xuv5UQ1rvv4qro1_400.gif

Are you being serious? Come on man. Really? ......REALLY?!

No. Itsuno is not very good. The difference between his directing and Kamiya's is that you can argue a spirit of self awareness and intentional camp lying even in the most dramatic parts of the game (which are seldom and peak with the most over the top cheese that is also one of the most memorable DMC scenes ever. You know the one.)

I won't really put much blame on the actors because it's more of the material. If the material and director is bad, it can downplay even talented actors. Just look at the Star Wars prequels and what he did to practically that entire cast. Are you gonna say people like Samuel L. Jackson are actually bad actors based on those terrible performances.

Tim Phillips and David DeLatour actually proved they are fairly decent actors and actually delivered emotional weight behind the more dramatic scenes. I know that you dig the originals over the reboot, that's fine, because I do too. But I'm not wearing rose tinted glasses on things I like and can point out where it effs up.

How the hell is "NERO" "KYRIE!" dramatic material that is to be taken seriously and called good? Kyrie is also about as cardboard as they come and some of her lines are delivered simply like she's reading off the script. Ugh. :vomit:

I know some of us here could have written that stuff better. I know I have plenty ideas for that game's script to improve it. Seriously, for the love of storytelling, don't give that dribble more credit than it deserves.

I'm sorry, but I gotta say no too.

DmC's emotional scenes are not impactful at all, as far as I'm concerned.
They tried to be. Like when Kat is shot and beaten, or when Dante argues with Vergil about Kat cause he wants to save her, or when Dante narrates his past, or when Vergil departes from his brother, or when Eva speaks to Dante, etc. etc.
I'm sad to say that none of those touched me, emotionally speaking.

Instead, scenes like Lady finally shooting Arkham, Vergil running towards Dante and then falling into the Netherworld, Credo's death, Nero and Kyrie inside the Savior, those are impactful, Itsuno did a damn good job.

But at the end of the day, each of us is touched by different things and different ways, I guess. I just don't like DmC 's emotional attempts at all, but not because I'm not fond in the game, or because it's not the original series. Just because... they didn't manage to impact me. That's all.

but i do love the character development on Dante's part, and actually loved vergil there --irony, especially on VD also

Yeah, I too liked VD more than vanilla DmC, when it comes to Vergil. I almost felt like it was supposed to be in the main game, but then cut and sold separately... and knowing Capcom, perhaps that's exactly the case :/

Top Bottom