• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition for Next Gen

Picard

Starfleet Demon
It's not just repeating the same levels over and over again. It's the game forcing you to repeat poorly made levels over and over again. When you're fighting, it's fine. But every other aspect is just BS. You might as well just replay Bloody Palace over and over again.

And I do replay Bloody Palace over and over again (when I have hours and hours of free time in one piece). Because gameplay gives good enough replay value that little else is necessary.

Why wouldn't you want the game to be better? I thought you liked Devil May Cry? If you sit back and accept the kind of quality DMC 4 provides with most of its bad design choices, then you're just saying you're ok with them giving you half assed games over and over again.

You're putting words in my keyboard. I never stated any of that. I just said that:
1) gameplay is the most important aspect of the game
2) backtracking does not really bother me

Would I like better designed levels, no backtracking, more innovation in weapons design etc.? Yes. But the fact that game has flaws doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable despite those flaws. DMC 4 is a good game that could be far better. But at least it is not some PoS game where designers made magnificent levels, huge weapons inventory, nice story too boot... and forgot to include quality gameplay.

Besides, most if not all of DMC 4s bad design choices were forced on it by rushed schedule. Backtracking? There wasn't enough time to design separate levels for Dante. Nero's limited arsenal and moveset? Again, while Dante already had many moves and weapons ready from before, there was no time to design good ones for Nero (though I have to say that Nero's arsenal and moveset does make sense from story perspective, considering his lesser experience). Stairway of Boredom?* Quite likely lack of time again.

*Also Stairway of Despair - a level where you fight all the bosses again before facing Sanctus.

SSSSwagmasterMLGDmCplaya

And I do replay Bloody Palace over and over again (when I have hours and hours of free time in one piece). Because gameplay gives good enough replay value that little else is necessary.
Same here. I do understand why people hate the backtracking though. New areas and enemies are always welcomed, and it almost felt needed for DMC4. But the gameplay made up for it because it gave so much more replay value. The enemies, for the most part, were interesting enough to experiment for months on end.

lostlook

Gonna have to agree with the sentiment that backtracking was not that big of a deal. I came into the DMC franchise and Hack and Slash/Beat 'em up genre because they're basically 3D fighting games to me. In fighting games, you can pretty much casually experience everything in a couple of hours. But for those who truly enjoy mastering combat, repetition is fundamental. These aren't RPGs where you can experience everything once and still log in over 100 hours. Development resources were prioritized for creating and fine-tuning combat, not content. Practice makes perfect and when you achieve something you've been working on for so long (e.g., getting that one combo down after hours of doing the same thing over and over), that feeling of accomplishment overshadows any "flaws" that would usually be held against games of other genres, imo.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
DMC4 sold 2.8 million in a month, DmC sold 1.1 in the same period, IIRC.
Also, they wanted DmC to sell 2 million, which is very fair, and it's not CoD numbers. It's as much as DMC1 sold, and that game wasn't even multiplatform like DmC is. It was even a new IP, so it wasn't even popular yet. It sold 2 million, DmC still only sold 1.1. It failed.

I'm just stating facts. If a game like DMC4, which a lot of fans didn't even care about much sold 2.8 million in a month in 2008, and DmC sold 1.1 in 2013, that means there is little demand for DmC. Devil May Cry is also a decently well-known franchise, so DmC should've sold pretty decently simply because of that too.

So please don't insult my intelligence by acting like sales don't matter at all. Even if not one fan of Devil May Cry liked DmC, it still should've sold better than 1.1 million. People just didn't like it much - it's time to accept that and get over it.

They originally wanted it to sell around the 5 million mark, which is where the whole "CoD numbers" thing came from - and this was before the game was two years from release. They figured that appealing to occidental tastes would be the sure moneymaker, not at all realizing exactly what it is that makes Call of Duty such a big seller. Hint: it ain't something that DMC has ever had. Hell, it took nearly the entire franchise's sales to catch up to the sales numbers of one of the best-selling Call of Duty entries.

The 2 million mark was an adjustment after release when they finally realized that only CoD makes CoD sales...hell not even CoD makes those numbers anymore. Also 1.1 is an old figure, it's gone up since them, I think it's near 1.5 or something now, but I don't really care because sales are not indicative of quality. Especially not the current world economy, and still considering that used sales are not factored into any of this stuff, in a time when used sales are growing exponentially because people like spending the least amount of money they have to.

I'm not saying that sales don't matter at all, but they certainly aren't the be all, end all marker of quality. Heck, DMC2 sold pretty darn well didn't it? Look how well people took to that one :/ Both critics and gamers liked DmC. Some fans didn't, but some did. Get over it.

We can't have both because I doubt Capcom will continue both series. They don't have the time, resources or the will to do that. You really think its employees feel like spending all their time on TWO Devil May Crys? Come on.

Why not? Capcom has their teams working on the same Street Fighter over and over again. Dooooo-hooo-hoooo. Kidding aside, remember how big a company Capcom is, and how many actual development studios they have under their belt. If the games were going to run concurrently, Ninja Theory would be handling development of the DmC entries, while Capcom would be handling the classic entries. This is exactly what they did with Mega Man and it's multitudes of spinoffs. Gregaman has even said that we should be looking at this in such a way - two branching paths that grow at the same time. You say we can't have both because I'm gettin' the vibe that you just don't think very highly of DmC, and maybe that doesn't quite give you the right to make assumptions on what everyone else in the world might actually want. So speak for yourself, yah?

Now please, let's stop talking about sales like some stupid-ass ****ing contest.

EDIT: Holy carp in a barrel you use for shooting fish in an old saying, my browser was totally not updated since I closed my laptop last night. I was not aware that a zillion pages sprouted up while I slept T_T Sorry.

Last edited:

Viper

Premium
what new things we'll get besides vergil as a playable character.
there is sooo many question. gaaah! i cant wait!

when will we get some detail ??

It will start popping up gradually with time, all you need is some patience.

But I read all three characters, in other words Dante, Nero and Vergil, will be getting unlockable costumes that is basically just them wearing boots and swim trunks. Totally true. :wink:

Disclaimer: Sunny is known for silly jokes and anything she claims should be taken with a truckload of salt.

ChaserTech

Those gyroblades were extremely boring though.

What I wonder is what team is working on DMC4SE right now? Most of the team from the original game are long gone from capcom by now, no?

Gyroblades, Dice room, and a friggin wall boss.
Those were my most hated moments of DMC4.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
They originally wanted it to sell around the 5 million mark, which is where the whole "CoD numbers" thing came from - and this was before the game was two years from release.

The 2 million mark was an adjustment after release when they finally realized that only CoD makes CoD sales...hell not even CoD makes those numbers anymore. Also 1.1 is an old figure, it's gone up since them, I think it's near 1.5 or something now, but I don't really care because sales are not indicative of quality.

I'm not saying that sales don't matter at all, but they certainly aren't the be all, end all marker of quality. Heck, DMC2 sold pretty darn well didn't it? Look how well people took to that one :/ Both critics and gamers liked DmC. Some fans didn't, but some did. Get over it.

If the games were going to run concurrently, Ninja Theory would be handling development of the DmC entries, while Capcom would be handling the classic entries. You say we can't have both because I'm gettin' the vibe that you just don't think very highly of DmC, and maybe that doesn't quite give you the right to make assumptions on what everyone else in the world might actually want. So speak for yourself, yah?

Now please, let's stop talking about sales like some stupid-ass ****ing contest.

EDIT: Holy carp in a barrel you use for shooting fish in an old saying, my browser was totally not updated since I closed my laptop last night. I was not aware that a zillion pages sprouted up while I slept T_T Sorry.
Yes, I know. But they wanted it to sell 2 million in the end, which it still didn't nearly make. 1.1 million. If it didn't reach the minimum sales they wanted, then it failed. Simple. I already explained that in my response to you.

''sales are not indicative of quality''

I never said anything about quality... man, what a misunderstanding. I was responding to the question which Devil May Cry holds more of people's interest: the original series or the reboot.
No, they are not indicative of quality, but they are at least fairly indicative of people's interest in the game. DmC, a game from 2013, that was a new installment in the fairly popular Devil May Cry series (wasn't a new IP), which was ALSO multiplat, AND which was made to appeal to as large a crowd as possible... sold 1.1 million within the deadline. Let's not act like that doesn't mean people didn't like DmC. It clearly shows that *most* people have little interest in DmC. If they had a lot of interest, it would've sold at least as well as Capcom projected. Even now it still hasn't sold as much as DMC1 - which was a new IP and wasn't multiplat. As for DMC2, it sold so well because of the positive reaction to DMC1 -- positive reaction breeds interest in the sequel, and as we all know, many people buy games without waiting for reviews or their friends' views on the games. Similarly, DMC3 sold badly even though it was a great game, because DMC2 sucked.

''Both critics and gamers liked DmC. Some fans didn't, but some did. Get over it.''

Most people didn't, otherwise it would've sold better. This is not about the game's quality, it's about people's preferences. So what if many reviewers thought it was a good game -- that's not pertinent to this debate. What I was talking about is that most people didn't *like* DmC, not about the fact that most of them thought it was a good game. Even I thought it was a decent game (worth a 6.5/10 for me), but that doesn't mean I should automatically *like* it.

As for DmC and DMC getting made side by side, I suppose it's possible, but honestly, I don't know if Ninja Theory has the motivation to deal with it and the hate DmC garnered.
Don't ever just assume who I am and what I think. And I have the right to assume anything I want based on the evidence. Even the whole of the internet seems negative about DmC... so yeah, I think it's obvious people want DMC more than they do DmC. Make no mistake, IMO, DmC was a fine game, so I'm really not some kind of hater. It was fine but nothing special. I mean, it even had only half of DMC4's amount of combos. It just wasn't that great.

Last edited:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I get what Lord Nero is saying, but I also see where TxA is coming from (with the assumption of hating DmC). Mostly, I figure you guys have hit a major wall of misunderstanding.

Why is there a debate going on? C'mon guys...everyone's getting something they want out of it--double for the people who enjoy both sides of the franchise--can't we all just be happy? Just for once?

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
I get what Lord Nero is saying, but I also see where TxA is coming from (with the assumption of hating DmC). Mostly, I figure you guys have hit a major wall of misunderstanding.

Why is there a debate going on? C'mon guys...everyone's getting something they want out of it--double for the people who enjoy both sides of the franchise--can't we all just be happy? Just for once?
It's just scary, to think that Capcom might pit DMC against DmC by releasing DMC4 SE at the same time as DmC SE, and then looking at the sales and deciding which of the two to continue with. It wasn't my assumption by the way, but I think it's quite possible Capcom is stupid and assholish enough to pit the two against each other.

I never meant to sound like some kind of DmC hater... I just replied to people who held these views, explaining that DMC is more in demand than DmC. If Capcom is really going to compare a 2008 game's re-release sales to the sales of the re-release of a 2013 game (which is also getting improved combat and stuff), that would be stupid.

Anyway, I'm just happy more DMC stuff is coming out, especially DMC4 stuff, as I really loved DMC4 despite its glaring flaws. Also, Vergil. My body is ready.

Last edited:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
It's just scary, to think that Capcom might pit DMC against DmC by releasing DMC4 SE at the same time as DmC SE, and then looking at the sales and deciding which of the two to continue with. It wasn't my assumption by the way, but I think it's quite possible Capcom is stupid and assholish enough to pit the two against each other.

Anyway, I'm just happy more DMC stuff is coming out, especially DMC4 stuff, as I really loved DMC4 despite its glaring flaws. Also, Vergil. My body is ready.

Ah, I get what you're saying, now. Yeah, I really hope that's not what they're doing (pitting them), releasing the SE versions of both games. I'd like to believe they're doing it to make the fan-base as a whole happy, but...I know that might not be the case.

However, we'll just have to see, won't we?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Even the whole of the internet seems negative about DmC

C'mon man, you cannot say that when there is just as much support for DmC around the 'net as there is for the rest of the series :/ Aaaanyway, it's in the past - let's be happy that there are things happening with the franchise, this means things are looking up. The sky's the limit, and considering how development can run between the two, there's absolutely no need to choose. Why would you even want them to choose?

If they do add some alternate costumes for Dante in this I want those damn chaps to go!

I think a chapless and coatless version of DMC4 Dante would be a good idea, kinda akin to his coatless DMC1 outfit in DMC3.

Also it would be a dream come true to get a DMC2 outfit.

DMC1 Dante plz? That's all I want :'( My favorite costume has become the anime version (DMC1 with Rebellion), despite how much I don't like the anime >.<

Top Bottom