• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition for Next Gen

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
As much as I want to be excited for the DmC: Definitive Edition news, which is great news for DMC and DmC fans alike, I can't help to feel that the people who complained about the features before they were added were right. Mainly color coded enemies, lack of manual lock-on, easy campaign modes, no turbo mode, easy parry/demon dodge system, and 30fps locked on consoles as well as other features.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm complaining about these features being added. It's just that a lot of people who wanted this when the game was released were being ridiculed by people defending DmC's design choices. Especially with the Manual Lock-on system (I'll go through the threads myself if people want to see what I'm talking about so I can provide examples) But as soon as Capcom/NT comes out with a video explaining the features that everyone wanted in the original release, as well as community mods, everyone embraces it and acts like we did not want it in the first place.
I'm glad they were added, but even before this trailer, I didn't consider any of that a make-or-break. I still had fun with it, still enjoyed its gameplay, and I liked how the lock-on style on it was long before definitive. The people who complained and moaned about it, in my opinion, were just finding reasons to complain to me. If the game was still playable without those features then that's all I need to have fun with it. Though it's nice to have those features and more added on for next gen.

So yeah, I still ridicule those people being so anal about it because...hey, don't like, don't play.

SSSSwagmasterMLGDmCplaya

Dude no one cares about your problems. -_-
I'm afraid a lot of people care about bugs like these. Which is why there were so many patches. Ultimately NT or Capcom took hold of these issues and addressed them with a patch. Seems you're calling those who created the game you so love, no one.

Quite funny you're saying people are just finding reasons to complain, yet you dismiss these legitimate reasons because "no body cares".

Edit: apparently you cared enough to respond.

ji-high

I'm glad they were added, but even before this trailer, I didn't consider any of that a make-or-break. I still had fun with it, still enjoyed its gameplay, and I liked how the lock-on style on it was long before definitive. The people who complained and moaned about it, in my opinion, were just finding reasons to complain to me. If the game was still playable without those features then that's all I need to have fun with it. Though it's nice to have those features and more added on for next gen.

So yeah, I still ridicule those people being so anal about it because...hey, don't like, don't play.
I guess whatever improvements they make in DMC4 will be proof that the game was garbage to begin with...right?

ChaserTech

I don't think they were complaining for the sake of it. Otherwise NT/Capcom wouldn't really add these modes or changes if they weren't so important to the fanbase.

As for me, I gave DmC a chance. I thought the game could be sorta fun and I decided to play the demo as well as the full game. When I did, I felt as if a lot of stuff was missing and a good amount of potential was wasted for DmC. My main problems were the Lock - On feature (I at least wanted a health bar associated with a hard lock on system) and the color coded enemies, which a lot of players thought the same thing.

Also it's not like people don't like the game. I personally thought the game was solid but didn't cut it to be put above the previous titles. It's just that we wanted certain features to be added that should have been in the game in the first place.

I guess whatever improvements they make in DMC4 will be proof that the game was garbage to begin with...right?

DMC4 was not perfect and it never was. It's glaring issues was that the campaign revolved around backtracking, a serious issue of the DMC franchise. But the core gameplay was good and it had a high skill ceiling. Which is why it's on a higher standard compared DmC because the gameplay made up for it for a lot of different people who enjoyed the game.
For all we know, DMC4 might just get a few extra weapons and a playable Vergil. Not much has been said about DMC4:SE at this point.

Also the people who said DmC was "garbage" are the ones who were blatantly upset about DmC and were blind because of it. It's a solid game for what it is. I never even claimed it was garbage if you're implying it.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

Well we don't know WHAT improvements were added or what was taken out of DMC4 to make that assumption. I will admit DMC4 has good gameplay. (not my cup of tea, but good gameplay nonetheless) It's just the story, characters, and boring enemy designs I didn't like.

DMC4's gameplay is fine as it is. It's everything else that I hope would be different, but that won't be the case because this is just a special edition like DMC3, not a full-blown remake.

I'm afraid a lot of people care about bugs like these. Which is why there were so many patches. Ultimately NT or Capcom took hold of these issues and addressed them with a patch. Seems you're calling those who created the game you so love, no one.

Quite funny you're saying people are just finding reasons to complain, yet you dismiss these legitimate reasons because "no body cares".

Edit: apparently you cared enough to respond.

If I didn't experience those bugs, then that's all I care about.

Again; no one cares about your problems.

I don't think they were complaining for the sake of it. Otherwise NT/Capcom wouldn't really add these modes or changes if they weren't so important to the fanbase.

As for me, I gave DmC a chance. I thought the game could be sorta fun and I decided to play the demo as well as the full game. When I did, I felt as if a lot of stuff was missing and a good amount of potential was wasted for DmC. My main problems were the Lock - On feature (I at least wanted a health bar associated with a hard lock on system) and the color coded enemies, which a lot of players thought the same thing.

Also it's not like people don't like the game. I personally thought the game was solid but didn't cut it to be put above the previous titles. It's just that we wanted certain features to be added that should have been in the game in the first place.

I know that. I meant more so the people who did complain just to complain at every little thing about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I hope so too. Maybe a fight with Gloria?
Or maybe DMC4 can go Sigma, have Trish, Lady and even Gloria as playable characters in their own chapters.
I mean there was the part where Gloria was tasked with finding Dante by Sanctus, there could be a few chapters of her fighting through some demons up to where she meets up with Dante after he fought Nero.
Plus there could even be a Trish segment in which we play as her when she "sweeps the city and evacts the people" while Dante fights his way to Agnus.

There could be an alternate chapter for Lady in which she's on some kind of hunting job.
Also the PS4 has the motion gimmick so why not take Team Ninjas gimmick and make the boobs shake when you shake the controller. A guy can dream :)

DantesLink

Premium
Supporter 2014
Or maybe DMC4 can go Sigma, have Trish, Lady and even Gloria as playable characters in their own chapters.
I mean there was the part where Gloria was tasked with finding Dante by Sanctus, there could be a few chapters of her fighting through some demons up to where she meets up with Dante after he fought Nero.
Plus there could even be a Trish segment in which we play as her when she "sweeps the city and evacts the people" while Dante fights his way to Agnus.

There could be an alternate chapter for Lady in which she's on some kind of hunting job.
Also the PS4 has the motion gimmick so why not take Team Ninjas gimmick and make the boobs shake when you shake the controller. A guy can dream :)

Dream on, friend! Dream on!

ji-high

My question was rhetorical. And there will be improvements in DMC4, no matter how small they are so my point still stands.

Most of the stuff they've added in DmC were asked by the people who actually enjoyed the game as well so i don't think 'those people who were ridiculed' deserve any apologies or thanks. They were ridiculed because they adopted a ridiculous stance and i'm not talking about just not wanting to play the game. You know very well the kind of behaviour i'm referring to.

berto

I Saw the Devil
So, this is the image on the BG of the game's page:
agegate_bg01.jpg

You can probably tell the three different colors present. You got the red, it's blatant, then the greenish blue in the middle and the bluer blue. I think the one in the middle is Vergil's.

GF9000000Returns

So people wanna say that the OG fans were "right" regarding the DmC flaws, huh? Granted! I understand and have no problem with it, along with 95% of the DmC fans here point out the flaws too, BUT if this DMC4 special edition has extra costumes(which I guara-damn-tee there will be some) and fixes the backtracking problems, I say that myself and all the other fans who b!tched about the problems were "right" about this too.

Not trying to flamebait or start an argument here, I'm just saying that both the DmC and DMC4 fans are right!

ChaserTech

My question was rhetorical. And there will be improvements in DMC4, no matter how small they are so my point still stands.

Except rational people never said DmC was garbage nor said DMC4 was perfect. They both have major flaws.

Most of the stuff they've added in DmC were asked by the people who actually enjoyed the game as well so i don't think 'those people who were ridiculed' deserve any apologies or thanks. They were ridiculed because they adopted a ridiculous stance and i'm not talking about just not wanting to play the game. You know very well the kind of behaviour i'm referring to.

Weren't those same features that were added were features that unsatisfied consumers criticize for not being in the game? Just because someone criticizes a game doesn't mean they flat out hate it. They just wished for extra features to be added since it was slightly obvious that they needed to be added. I'm one of those people.

So, this is the image on the BG of the game's page:
agegate_bg01.jpg

You can probably tell the three different colors present. You got the red, it's blatant, then the greenish blue in the middle and the bluer blue. I think the one in the middle is Vergil's.

Oh wow, this looks pretty dang awesome.
Man I'm REALLY hoping Vergil is a playable character in DMC4:SE. It's just sad to see that a PC version isn't planned as of now. Not sure if one will ever be planned after the console versions come out either.

ji-high

I said people who also enjoyed the game asked for those changes as well which means people who adopted a 'ridiculous stance' deserve no thanks or apologies. And i still stand by that. Where exactly did i say everybody who criticizes the game is a hater? Hell, i myself had my fair share of complaints.

Maybe you should finally leave 2010 behind pal. I mean the first thing you did was saying how you and the others were right from the beginning. I paraphrase but that's the gist of it.

DmC just went from very good to great and that's all that matters, really.

Also it's good that 'rational' people never said 'X' or 'Y', i just wish i had run into them more often back when the hate was at its maximum. I can only talk about what i've experienced which was first class stupidity.

Last edited:

ChaserTech

I said people who also enjoyed the game asked for those changes as well which means people who adopted a 'ridiculous stance' deserve no thanks or apologies. And i still stand by that. Where exactly did i say everybody who criticizes the game is a hater? Hell, i myself had my fair share of complaints.

I got the impression that you were implying it. Which a lot of people tend to do quite a bit when DmC is criticized.
That being said, what exactly do you mean by "ridiculous stance'? Were you talking about the ones who just outright hated the game for no reason?

Maybe you should finally leave 2010 behind pal. I mean the first thing you did was saying how you and the others were right from the beginning. I paraphrase but that's the gist of it.

That's right, because those were definitely some of the major problems that other players were talking about. It's just confusing to see people embracing the same things that we wanted since the release of the game, yet some DmC fans were defending the design choices, and kept defending it. Specifically the Lock-On feature and the two Dodge buttons (I'm not implying everyone, just a margin of people) I'm merely questioning the reaction that I've been seeing instead of saying "Yeah we were right all along". As well as NT's desire to expand upon DmC by adding features that everyone has requested. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

DmC just went from very good to great and that's all that matters, really.

Also it's good that 'rational' people never said 'X' or 'Y', i just wish i had run into them more often back when the hate was at its maximum. I can only talk about what i've experienced which was first class stupidity.

Yeah that happens with both sides honestly. I've seen a lot of things on YT which made me feel bad about the DMC community on both sides.

Rolanthas

Do we know who'll be working on DMC 4? I'd assume Itsuno or at least some of his team, but my gut says they're probably pretty busy with whatever they're cooking next (be it DD 2 or a DMC ).

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
I don't know if Vergil has a wife, but the other option is a prostitute. So, a spouse ( or someone of that status) would fit Vergil better.

Picard

Starfleet Demon
DMC4 was not perfect and it never was. It's glaring issues was that the campaign revolved around backtracking, a serious issue of the DMC franchise. But the core gameplay was good and it had a high skill ceiling. Which is why it's on a higher standard compared DmC because the gameplay made up for it for a lot of different people who enjoyed the game.

I'd say that main value in any game is gameplay. I've never yet found a game that I liked and didn't play several times over. But when you play a game several times, story, exploration... it all looses value. I don't care about going backwards through the areas I have already explored, as I know that I will do it again anyway, backtracking or no backtracking. So I wouldn't say that backtracking is a serious issue, at least not in terms of playability. What I want is a game that can be explored and experimented with. DMC 4 provided it, which I'd say is a rarity.

Top Bottom