• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DB Dante vs Bayonetta

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
It was an okay fight.

Personally, I think Bayonetta should have won.

Didn't like Trish and Jeanne interfering, felt like a needless advertisement for Death Battle X.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Bayonetta should've won that. Jeanne interfering would've put Queen Sheba on the table, and QS was capable of punching the soul out of God itself, whereas the best Trish and Dante did (even with the Sparda sword doing most of the legwork) was "seal Mundus for another 2000 years" or less if Capcom decides to bring back Mundus early. Besides, she has actually measurable skills (the speed of a boss battle conducted entirely under Witch Time, for example). Dante just has "he hasn't died yet and he's super powerful".

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Bayonetta should've won that. Jeanne interfering would've put Queen Sheba on the table, and QS was capable of punching the soul out of God itself, whereas the best Trish and Dante did (even with the Sparda sword doing most of the legwork) was "seal Mundus for another 2000 years" or less if Capcom decides to bring back Mundus early. Besides, she has actually measurable skills (the speed of a boss battle conducted entirely under Witch Time, for example). Dante just has "he hasn't died yet and he's super powerful".
That would have been BS, the second I saw Trish and Jeanne I said "They better not have her win because of Queen Sheba" as it stands, I don't mind it being a backdoor pilot. They also mentioned his speed, plus Madama Butterfly's nothing special compared to some of the monsters Dante's fought.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
That would have been BS, the second I saw Trish and Jeanne I said "They better not have her win because of Queen Sheba" as it stands, I don't mind it being a backdoor pilot. They also mentioned his speed, plus Madama Butterfly's nothing special compared to some of the monsters Dante's fought.

What speed? Half of the things they were listing were patently false, if anyone even remembers the cutscenes they're trying to get it from.

Can anyone name one time when Dante teleported? If anything, Bayonetta should've had that one.
"Runs so fast he caught on fire due to air friction" then he would've been on fire. Bayonetta can perform attacks that give her a similar "heat field", so they should've taken that into account. The fact they needed pseudoscience BS to explain a flashy feature makes that void.
"He also has his brother's sword, Yamato" oh, the one he gave to Nero and doesn't have anymore. That made a lot of sense. That's not a feat, but why give him a sword he explicitly gave up ownership of?
"He stopped the Savior's punch with his bare hands" he blocked it with Rebellion. They even show the cutscene where that happens. Where'd they get "bare hands" from, and did they ignore the part where Nero was defeating the Savior from the inside and most likely stopped the punch when he pulled Kyrie out of the remaining core? It was rendered completely inactive until Sanctus fused into it.
"Unfazed by meteors" it knocked him right out of the Sparda DT form and laid him out for a good few seconds.
"Defeated Vergil, his virtual equal" as a teenager. That defeat didn't even make sense on paper; Vergil had experience with his own DT and the Yamato for almost a decade. Dante only got his DT a few hours prior (mission 7) and he won because he believed in himself really hard, or something.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
What speed? Half of the things they were listing were patently false, if anyone even remembers the cutscenes they're trying to get it from.

Can anyone name one time when Dante teleported? If anything, Bayonetta should've had that one.
"Runs so fast he caught on fire due to air friction" then he would've been on fire. Bayonetta can perform attacks that give her a similar "heat field", so they should've taken that into account. The fact they needed pseudoscience BS to explain a flashy feature makes that void.
"He also has his brother's sword, Yamato" oh, the one he gave to Nero and doesn't have anymore. That made a lot of sense. That's not a feat, but why give him a sword he explicitly gave up ownership of?
"He stopped the Savior's punch with his bare hands" he blocked it with Rebellion. They even show the cutscene where that happens. Where'd they get "bare hands" from, and did they ignore the part where Nero was defeating the Savior from the inside and most likely stopped the punch when he pulled Kyrie out of the remaining core? It was rendered completely inactive until Sanctus fused into it.
"Unfazed by meteors" it knocked him right out of the Sparda DT form and laid him out for a good few seconds.
"Defeated Vergil, his virtual equal" as a teenager. That defeat didn't even make sense on paper; Vergil had experience with his own DT and the Yamato for almost a decade. Dante only got his DT a few hours prior (mission 7) and he won because he believed in himself really hard, or something.
Okay, not gonna deny some of those things, but still, by that logic, Dante AND Bayonetta should only have their standard weapons.
Also, does it matter if it was "his bare hands" or Rebellion, that still takes a lot of strength. And I doubt Nero defeating Sanctus affected the punch itself, does it matter since the Savior wasn't actively pushing against Dante at that point, no. Effect the punch itself? No.
Also, how did it not make sense? Imo, Vergil may have started stronger, but Dante simply improved better and quicker then Vergil was, that's how I view it

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Yes, it does matter that the Savior wasn't actively pushing against Dante. The damage of a punch comes from the force being put behind a fist. No one just sticks their fist out and expects their opponent to get hit with it with no momentum. Dante blocked the fist while the Savior was still active and was visibly being pushed back. Nero stopped it by disabling the Savior from the inside and rendering it completely immobile, then Dante pushed the fist out of the way. Dante didn't stop that punch dead on the same way Nero countered Berial's swing earlier in the game and didn't budge an inch, and if he could push that fist out of the way while the Savior was active, he would have.

Edit: That's exactly why it doesn't make sense. Dante mastered his demonic power in only a few hours of using it and was able to beat his "virtual equal" when said "equal" had a decade (11 years) to master his own skills, and had the second most OP sword in existence? There should have been nothing Dante could do that Vergil couldn't counter or surpass. Vergil was seen killing devils that Dante was just having a hard time with. Their difference in experience and skill would be equivalent to DMC4 Dante and Nero.

Last edited:

Triggerpigking

Dante having Yamato makes perfect sense, death battle has'nt ever gone from current canon, simply what they've used or had availaible during their series.
Personally I think it turned out exactly how it should've, Bayo has more strength(though i'm not sure since that satellite was in space meaning there was no gravity, but i'm not big on science so I won't make a judgement on it), but dante is incredibly unpredictable has a more varied arsenal and his styles, can clearly take more damage and is specialized against most of what she's got, hell some of her summons are bosses he did'nt even have trouble with in dmc1 let alone 15 years onwards, plus her most powerful strength witch time is completely negated by not one but two of his abilities, when it comes down to it once you've found an opening in her suit or gotten past it, she's only human and easy to kill.
Also I never noticed them cutting apart the rain in dmc3, that just makes that cutscene even more badass xD.

Btw @Morgan dante did clearly catch on fire when running down the tower, they clearly just did'nt keep the effect for that long(maybe devil time has a built in cooling system XD) and regardless we saw how big that tower is compared to the city, it was still insanely far for him to run in a few seconds.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
That's not a feat, but why give him a sword he explicitly gave up ownership of?
Indeed, I noticed that Screw Attack like to ignore continuity in favour of making the battles more interesting.

A particular egregious example was in "Solid Snake vs Sam Fisher" where they went with MGS2 Snake but gave him all of MGS4 Snake's equipment which makes no sense.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Yes, it does matter that the Savior wasn't actively pushing against Dante. The damage of a punch comes from the force being put behind a fist. No one just sticks their fist out and expects their opponent to get hit with it with no momentum. Dante blocked the fist while the Savior was still active and was visibly being pushed back until Nero stopped it by disabling the Savior from the inside and rendering it completely immobile. Dante didn't stop that punch dead on the same way Nero countered Berial's swing earlier in the game and didn't budge an inch.

It sure looked to me like he did

And I said he wasn't actively pushing AFTER the punch, Dante still blocked the punch itself.

@Blackquill I've never gotten that argument. People made the same complaint about adult Goku having the power pole

Last edited:

SPARTAN-1000

NO PAIN NO GAIN
Glad Dante won out of respect for that character .
everything in Bayonetta is inspired by Devil May Cry , Dont F*ck with the Son of Sparda .
i like the sneezing outro Dante does not care .

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Personally I think it turned out exactly how it should've, Bayo has more strength(though i'm not sure since that satellite was in space meaning there was no gravity, but i'm not big on science so I won't make a judgement on it),
Using the first game only for a source since I haven't played the second (I'll mention the second game just once):

Bayonetta has other strength feats, like headbutting a skyscraper while falling, playing hot potato with a cruise missile, suplexing a dragon, holding a trolley one-handed with no strain (a trolley can weigh from 18-21 tons, if I'm not mistaken), she tosses Fortitudo around like a ragdoll, punches through a boulder, has enough force to bust Iustitia's tentacle heads, and the force of her attacks is measured in megatons and gigatons. The only thing Dante's ever seen doing with his bare hands (that means no weapons, for those that don't get it) was punch a statue and break it with a delay. That was in 3.

dante is incredibly unpredictable has a more varied arsenal and his styles, can clearly take more damage and is specialized against most of what she's got, hell some of her summons are bosses he did'nt even have trouble with in dmc1

"Dante [...] can clearly take more damage" since when? DMC1 Dante was pinned down by spears and would've died from a laser blast had Trish not pushed him out of the way. He wouldn't survive the explosion from Mallet Island either. Like, lemme break that down. The castle was falling apart, the escape mission's objective was pretty much described as "GTFO". Mundus pointed out that Dante could not escape and would die. Dante doesn't even disagree with that, and just adds that Mundus would die with him ("This'll be your burial ground as well!"). Trish showed up, they beat Mundus, Trish laments that they're both going to die until Chekhov's Plane drops from the room above them and they high-tail it out of there. No character denies that the explosion of Mallet would kill them. That means something. (He can't survive a regular non-demonic oil rig exploding in DMC2 either. He just can't survive an explosion, period.)

Being eaten by Phantom could kill him. A Shadow could explode and leave no trace of him except his sword. He has no counter against things stated to drain souls. Lemme explain that too.

Things that drain souls:
1. Haywire Neo Generator, Mission 12, DMC3: "He who holds this broken device is irradiated and their soul is drained in exchange for power." Power = Devil Trigger, soul = the vitality gauge (for lack of better representation in-game). Whatever regen ability Dante had regularly during DT (and we know how well he can regen, even if that is stupidly inconsistent) could not stop his soul from being drained, even when the DT form was being given to him "infinitely" and would have cancelled it out. Whether it meant his regen was nullified, or whether it was working and the item was just draining more than the healing factor can handle is unknown, but the point still stands. His soul was being drained.

2. Guiding Light, Mission 7, DMC1: "A key that shines in ardor. It slowly drains the power of the possessor". The item was draining him of his vitality and he couldn't do anything except put it in a slot in which case it stopped. No resistance allowed except items.

So Bayonetta with Shuraba should've made it a cakewalk and the only way he'd survive that is being given extra-canonical powers (not "more canon", "outside of canon"). Bayonetta herself can actually resist getting her soul ripped out, and pulled it back in when Alraune attempted it (see:2). DMC4 Dante doesn't show any feats he hadn't already had in 1, and I'm already arguing that stopping the Savior's punch not-bare-handed wasn't good enough.

her most powerful strength witch time is completely negated by not one but two of his abilities, when it comes down to it once you've found an opening in her suit or gotten past it, she's only human and easy to kill.

What? No.

Witch Time is an innate ability that Bayonetta has, capable of stopping an explosion. Dante would need outside items to counter Witch Time, and even then, WT can be stacked on top of itself indefinitely, see: Bayonetta vs. Jeanne. Or even better, Bayonetta vs. Sapientia. Before the match, Luka was zip-lining his way into a helicopter. While he was in midair, Bayonetta activated Witch Time to fight Sapi, and Sapi (being a powerful Virtue) resisted the ability and continued to do so for the entire duration of the battle, so they were fighting at what looked like regular speed while time around them was slowed down to enough of a crawl that nothing else moved. That battle lasted 8 minutes, minimum, of Witch Time. At maximum, it's however long the player takes. It could even be an hour or so, and that's being generous. After Sapientia dies, Bayonetta's already in the helicopter before Luka is, and he was closer. In real-time that battle lasted in the single digits of seconds.

For Dante, Quicksilver and other Time skills can only manipulate time to a certain degree. QuickSilver depletes magic for a Time Lag. The ChronoHeart from DMC2 requires Dante to connect his sword hits onto Bayonetta, something that Bayo will not let him do in the speed that she can think (or just having Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa equipped to deflect). DMC4 requires there to be a biased battlefield for Dante to use the Chrono Key on an immobile statue. But let's do Time Lag since that's a Style. When Dante uses Time Lag, it radiates out from him in a fixed distance. Anyone outside the field can just hit him, and anyone with similar abilities to him (Geryon) can nullify it entirely so that everything runs as normal. Geryon himself can spam the Time Lag so fast that Dante can't react to it, within battle.

Again, Bayonetta's Witch Time stops everything regardless of range. Even when supposedly getting the ability countered/nulled, the nullification only works in the field of battle and nothing else moves at regular speed except her and what's countering her, and it can stack. Dante's Time Lag can get countered and stacked on to slow him down, and the best he can do is shut it off when Geryon tries it, not stacking it on Geryon.

Also I never noticed them cutting apart the rain in dmc3, that just makes that cutscene even more badass xD

The scene with Dante and Vergil fighting so fast they cut rain was pure exaggeration.
A) Lady was narrating.
B) Lady being the narrator, a second-hand source because of that, and having been nowhere near the battle to even see what was happening, is an unreliable source.
C) The actual events as they happened in Mission 7, therefore being from Dante's point of view and "more true", completely nullify that scene as nothing near "rain-slowing" speeds were achieved (we don't even see that scene in any real way). So that is pretty much it.

In terms of speed, Bayonetta dodged bullets point blank after Balder plucked them out of the air at Light Speed and directed them back at her. She dodged Jeanne's bullets after they've changed their trajectory mid-flight. She dodged bullets out of fog she wasn't able to see through. She can kick as fast as Dante ran in DMC3. Without getting winded, she can run after a vehicle moving above regular highway speeds (and on a clearly horizontal plane, not down with gravity doing half the job). She leapt over a car and pulled a baseball slide under a truck without breaking stride, then outran the vehicle and cleared more distance still, just in time to clear a path for it. Additionally, against Temperantia, she seemingly 'teleported' from "almost getting crushed by a trolley" to "riding on the back of a Fairness/Fearless". The fact that a Cardinal Virtue that can automatically resist Witch Time could not catch the fact that she moved fast enough to dodge a trolley and climb onto a stone Angel in the middle of a tornado, shows she's pretty damn fast. That was a tornado capable of moving cars, trucks, and trees around, so she can casually resist/be faster than 200mph.

Anything else?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Yeah, I'm not going to watch it. Bayonetta should've won. I was in this very argument over at 4chan. Bayonetta can summon things that are bigger than the final boss in her game, she has Dante's move set + the ability to do them all in the air, and her own set of moves in addition to those, and if we add accessories she has even more abilities than that. The only time I've seen Dante summon anything was that fire dragon when he fought Mundus and that was because he was using the sword of Sparda. Dante, as much as you all know I love him, would not win against her in a contest of straight combat, she has way too many advantages. On the other hand, if it wasn't a battle restricted to simple strength/skill/armament I wouldn't put it passed him to bring a bag full baby roaches to score the win.

Ultimately, though, I don't like the idea of them fighting. It's silly to me and kinda childish. I don't like the idea of them been in anything together but fighting just for the sake of 'who'd win' is even worse.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
i thought you guys were better then this
some of you are taking this unofficial fan fight more serious then you should

and all the facts you bring up don't matter since if Bayo and Dante were to meet officially and if they were to fight
it would end in a tie for exactly this reason

you do not take two popular character and official state that one would beat the other in a fight
because one side will always flip there ****
did you guys not remember Goku VS Superman

Edit: you know for some reason i though this Tread was longer then it actually is
it's a little early for me to say this :I

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
some of you are taking this unofficial fan fight more serious then you should

LOL indeed. And, here just like everywhere else this battle is being discussed, and like always happens with this kind of battle, some people are just using it as an excuse to bitch about the character they don't like, whether it is Dante or Bayonetta. Which is why the vs threads were banned, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, I agreed with the result. I could have seen it go either way, but yeah I do think Dante ultimately has the upper hand. Dante's just too fast, too unpredictable with all the tools he has, too powerful in general.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
"HEY GUYS, DANTE'S SUPERPOWRFUL AND OP, B-BUT....He has a weakness, guys, we PROMISE, it's, um...uh, well, it's his PRIDE! Yes, he underestimates his opponent! He's cocky, overzealous, overly-confident....THAT'S his weakness...."

...which is why it doesn't hinder him at all during the fight. You bring up a weakness that you never even employ once during the bout.

Top stuff as always, Death Battle.

Top Bottom