• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante's Age (Yes, Another One)

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I'm confused. You're the one that has said the two aren't that different at all, that Vergil is Vergil at his core. If that is indeed true, I see no reason why this one specific thing would be the degree of separation.

And again, there's no theorization to be done. Nero being Vergil's son is fact, plain and simple. For that to be the case (Which it is), and Nero to about in his late teens in DMC4 (Which he appears to be) Dante should be in his mid to late thirties by the time that game takes place. Something of that nature, anyhow.
Maybe because I never said they were exactly the same. Only that what truly defines the character and what makes Vergil Vergil is there. Same with Dante.

And I won't believe Vergil is a daddy until I get concrete proof, and even then it wouldn't change how stupid it is.

Veloran

Maybe because I never said they were exactly the same. Only that what truly defines the character and what makes Vergil Vergil is there. Same with Dante.
You've said that they have very few real differences. The capability to fall for someone, regardless of the circumstances, would be a rather huge difference.

And I won't believe Vergil is a daddy until I get concrete proof,
We've known for quite some time. An art book outright saying "Nero is Vergil's son" isn't in the least bit ambiguous.

and even then it wouldn't change how stupid it is.
Is it really so unbelievable? I mean come on now. If we're assuming he had to be like twelve when it happened or something, then yes that's pushing it more than a fair bit. But in a timeline where DMC4 takes place a bit farther into the future, there's really no contradictions at play.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
The point of this thread was to try and make sense of Dante's age throughout the DMC timeline, that being the games, novels, anime etc

@Chancey289, @Veloran: You guys are both discussing the notion that Nero is Vergil's son. This has been done a million times already, to death. This isn't the right place for it, nor do you really need to be going back and forth at each other trying to get the last word in or attempting to seem right.

Enough now, from the both of you. There are other places you can discuss this, but this isn't one of them. I'm honestly tempted to hand you both warnings right now, but I won't.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Vergil, the guy everyone wants to think is evil, refuses to fight Sanctus, because he was there just to "follow Sparda's footsteps", refused to fight the soldiers who pursued him in Fortuna. In manga, people he killed were demons or a group of criminals who were hellbent to do anything to get his sword, so he had no choice.
Thousands of good men had served their country as soldiers.During this time they killed innocent people, not because they wanted it, but they were forced into it. Still today they lament what they have done. Are they evil?Do they hate humanity too?People killed in the tower accident were collateral damage, he had no choice.

Veloran , friend ,don't risk your neck in this . It is almost June, so whatever we are discussing here will become concrete in DMC4SE and boss already said for us to returning to the main theme of thread.

The 4th Snake

Content Creator
Ultimately, Vergil being Nero's father isn't relevant to this topic, aside from that giving us a timeframe to work from as, canon or not, that was the intended timeframe of the game.
•Nero is intended to be Vergil's son.
•This means he was conceived during Vergil's life, likely during the year between the manga and DMC3.
•With nine months of pregnancy, Nero was likely born closer to 3 than the manga.
•Nero is the same age as DMC3 Dante.
•This makes Dante roughly twice the age of Nero during DMC4.
•If Dante is "in his 30s" and "nearly 40", that gives us a range of 37-39.
•With no dates given, I would assume ages don't go into X 1/2, so if Dante's twice Nero's age, it's most likely an even number, 38.
•This does add up with the idea of DMC3 Dante being 19 since Nero would then be 19 in DMC4.

Does anyone see any flaws in my deduction here?

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I always got the impression that Nero was closer to something like 17, 18.

Either way, no saying that he couldn't be 19 in DMC 4.

Veloran

The point of this thread was to try and make sense of Dante's age throughout the DMC timeline, that being the games, novels, anime etc

@Chancey289, @Veloran: You guys are both discussing the notion that Nero is Vergil's son. This has been done a million times already, to death. This isn't the right place for it, nor do you really need to be going back and forth at each other trying to get the last word in or attempting to seem right.

Enough now, from the both of you. There are other places you can discuss this, but this isn't one of them. I'm honestly tempted to hand you both warnings right now, but I won't.
Nero's parentage is arguably critical in discerning the DMC timeline. Should it indeed be true that he is Vergil's son, that adds a number of years on the backend after DMC1 and the anime to allow him some time to grow up for DMC4, six or seven at the very least should we assume he was conceived only shortly before DMC3.

Based on what we know of the timeline of DMC, let's assume that Dante and Vergil both were somewhere around 17-19 for the time period of the DMC3 prequel manga and DMC3 proper. We can also venture that Nero was conceived and born some time around this period, within the span of one or two years.

Going off of the latest possible conception date, he should have been about ten during DMC1, in which Dante has been said to have been 28. Then, we have an unknown span of time until DMC4, but we do know that it was long enough for Nero to grow to be a late teenager, or thereabouts anyway, which means six to eight years roughly speaking. So for Dante and Nero's ages to match up, Dante in DMC4 would need to be between 34 (With the absolute youngest Nero is likely to be at 16) and 37 (With Nero being as old as DMC3 Dante could have been at 19).

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Nero's parentage is arguably critical in discerning the DMC timeline. Should it indeed be true that he is Vergil's son, that adds a number of years on the backend after DMC1 and the anime to allow him some time to grow up for DMC4, six or seven at the very least should we assume he was conceived only shortly before DMC3.

Based on what we know of the timeline of DMC, let's assume that Dante and Vergil both were somewhere around 17-19 for the time period of the DMC3 prequel manga and DMC3 proper. We can also venture that Nero was conceived and born some time around this period, within the span of one or two years.

Going off of the latest possible conception date, he should have been about ten during DMC1, in which Dante has been said to have been 28. Then, we have an unknown span of time until DMC4, but we do know that it was long enough for Nero to grow to be a late teenager, or thereabouts anyway, which means six to eight years roughly speaking. So for Dante and Nero's ages to match up, Dante in DMC4 would need to be between 34 (With the absolute youngest Nero is likely to be at 16) and 37 (With Nero being as old as DMC3 Dante could have been at 19).

Then discuss about the ages of them and not about 50 Shades of Vergil.

Gel

Premium
Ultimately, Vergil being Nero's father isn't relevant to this topic, aside from that giving us a timeframe to work from as, canon or not, that was the intended timeframe of the game.
•Nero is intended to be Vergil's son.
•This means he was conceived during Vergil's life, likely during the year between the manga and DMC3.
•With nine months of pregnancy, Nero was likely born closer to 3 than the manga.
•Nero is the same age as DMC3 Dante.
•This makes Dante roughly twice the age of Nero during DMC4.
•If Dante is "in his 30s" and "nearly 40", that gives us a range of 37-39.
•With no dates given, I would assume ages don't go into X 1/2, so if Dante's twice Nero's age, it's most likely an even number, 38.
•This does add up with the idea of DMC3 Dante being 19 since Nero would then be 19 in DMC4.

Does anyone see any flaws in my deduction here?

I would agree with almost everything , but my best bet is Nero was born before manga, if I take Nero's existence as a motivation for Vergil's search for power and not just a consequence.Nero can be younger than 19, maybe 17 years old.
Vergil is a young father but a grown up man, so Dante being 19/21 in DMC3 is correct.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Veloran: I don't disagree with you in the respect that understanding elements of the story can help us to ascertain what ages the characters fall under in the timeline. However, I don't see it necessary for you and Chancey to be arguing about it.

I'm aware that when it comes down to whether Nero is Vergil's son, there are two sides. One side that believes or sees no reason to not believe it. And one side that thinks it's stupid and views it as some made up idea fit for a fanfic.

What you two have is what's called a difference of opinion. Reasons to speculate about this is not reason enough to go back and forth at each other's posts, trying to prove you're right or justify what you have to say.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Funny, I never saw anyone mention what Vergil liked in bedroom. Probably used his cravat for more than one function. *cough*

Vergil: *Ties hands with belt and cracks whip* "Where's your motivation?"
Woman: "W-Wha--?"
Vergil: "My taste are very...singular...I had a rough start in life...You should've stayed clear of me."
Woman: "But you invited me to--"
"Vergil: "PRODUCE MY OFFSPRING FOR POWER!"

The 4th Snake

Content Creator
Regarding Nero being the reason for Vergil's desire for power, I was under the impression that Vergil feared losing anyone like he lost his mother and believed he was too weak, hence desiring power and despising humanity as he believed his own humanity held him back, which Dante ultimately proves wrong. I'm not sure where I read that was the case, but I thought that was what it was.

Viper

Premium
Regarding Nero being the reason for Vergil's desire for power, I was under the impression that Vergil feared losing anyone like he lost his mother and believed he was too weak, hence desiring power and despising humanity as he believed his own humanity held him back, which Dante ultimately proves wrong. I'm not sure where I read that was the case, but I thought that was what it was.
It is referenced many times that Vergil considers humanity to be weakness, however it's hard to say what is being discussed where, since in DMC humanity can mean both specie and ability to feel emotions.
Soldiers are regularly taught to ignore emotions, so is pretty much any professional that needs to work and make quick decisions under stressful conditions. As such, he could have meant that he considers his mission to be too vital to let his emotions control him. He sliced up Rabby's head in Alice's arms, saying "if all you could do was cry, then it's better you never had it", indicating that he actually hates emotional people not doing anything to protect or revenge what they love.

Last edited:

Gel

Premium
Hmmm, he does not despise humanity.Even Dante wasn't in love with Humanity when DMC3 began, Lady made him changing his mind.If his great fear was losing someone he could loved, he wouldn't produce Nero.
If his woman was a human, how could him mate with a being he despised?!Mr Vergil has a lot to tell.

The 4th Snake

Content Creator
To what Viper said.

Also, someone said that the manga claims Eva died 10 years prior. Where abouts is that said, and was it in the official English release or just the Japanese version?

Last edited:
Top Bottom