• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Character motivations

DankestDarkness

Wondering sprit from hell
Yep, in the old DMC, Vergil was so tortured over not being able to save his family from the demons, and that's what first makes him want to get powerful.
But this Vergil....it seems like he thinks his real parents were weak for falling in love and getting killed for it. Then of course what you said about Vergil being capable of killing adoptive parents to get their money. I could see him doing that. He seems to have the attitude of sacrifice of a few being okay so long as it helps his goal.
He is more like win by any means necessary type of guy it dont matter if you mean anything to him or not he only gave Dante a chance but once that was gone he didn't give him a second one he was quick to pick up the blade

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
He is more like win by any means necessary type of guy it dont matter if you mean anything to him or not he only gave Dante a chance but once that was gone he didn't give him a second one he was quick to pick up the blade
Yep, as soon as he realised Dante would not stand with him and rule the humans, Vergil was very sudden in his change of attitude towards his own brother. So I wonder if Vergil means it when he says to Dante 'I loved you brother.' Did he mean in a brotherly love way? Or a 'I loved the idea of us ruling'?
It seems like Dante was just another tool in Vergil's kit. In the game Vergil's main advantage was the Mundus didn't know who he was, so he needed someone to do the work for him and that happened to be Dante. He was only valuable to Vergil for as long as he was following his dreams and goals. As soon as Dante spoke against Vergil, he turned on him, and genuinley believed Dante was choosing the wrong side.

DankestDarkness

Yep, as soon as he realised Dante would not stand with him and rule the humans, Vergil was very sudden in his change of attitude towards his own brother. So I wonder if Vergil means it when he says to Dante 'I loved you brother.' Did he mean in a brotherly love way? Or a 'I loved the idea of us ruling'?
It seems like Dante was just another tool in Vergil's kit. In the game Vergil's main advantage was the Mundus didn't know who he was, so he needed someone to do the work for him and that happened to be Dante. He was only valuable to Vergil for as long as he was following his dreams and goals. As soon as Dante spoke against Vergil, he turned on him, and genuinley believed Dante was choosing the wrong side.
Well vergil did care for him when he said I loved you brother meaning he did love him but now I see we can't be friends only rivals from this point on

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Well vergil did care for him when he said I loved you brother meaning he did love him but now I see we can't be friends only rivals from this point on
But I think it would be Vergils' idea of love, which is probably pretty twisted by now.

vakarian23

Interesting thread. When it comes to Vergil I am really excited to know more about him, I hope the DLC gives us some information on his former life.

Loopy, you mentioned Vergil's intentions being somewhat similar to those of Mundus, in terms of viewing humans as helpless when they are not being led by a greater force. But what if there's more to that?
We all know that Mundus' goal was not world peace or protecting humans but to use humanity for his own good. That might also be the case for Vergil, even apart from his urge to assume control of the whole world.

We've got very little information on Vergil until now, what seems like brotherly feelings could just be another means to an end. In the end, I think this theory is highly unlikely but it is this room for speculation that makes DmC's story interesting to me.

Oh, here's a thing I wanted to ask all of you: The DLC is called "Vergil's Downfall". What do you think is meant with the word downfall in that particular case? His death? His worsening disposition? Generally, I don't like killing off a game's main characters but in this case I think it would be somewhat fitting if he died.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Interesting thread. When it comes to Vergil I am really excited to know more about him, I hope the DLC gives us some information on his former life.

Loopy, you mentioned Vergil's intentions being somewhat similar to those of Mundus, in terms of viewing humans as helpless when they are not being led by a greater force. But what if there's more to that?
We all know that Mundus' goal was not world peace or protecting humans but to use humanity for his own good. That might also be the case for Vergil, even apart from his urge to assume control of the whole world.Yep, Mundus was using the world like a human soul farm to power the demon world. But I don't know what other goal Vergil could have other than control of the world right now. Maybe the DLC will give us more info on what's going on in his head like you say. Maybe that's all he wanted, just the knowledge that he was controlling so many lives without their knowledge. For a guy like Vergil, that would be a big ego boost considering he feels like he had no power or control over his life as a child.

We've got very little information on Vergil until now, what seems like brotherly feelings could just be another means to an end. In the end, I think this theory is highly unlikely but it is this room for speculation that makes DmC's story interesting to me.I'd like to think he loved Dante, but the more I see of him; his ease at throwing Kat away and how quickly he turns on Dante when he disagrees at the end.....I have to wonder just what kind of love Vergil felt for his brother. Whatever it was, I'd say it was Vergil's idea of love.

Oh, here's a thing I wanted to ask all of you: The DLC is called "Vergil's Downfall". What do you think is meant with the word downfall in that particular case? His death? His worsening disposition? Generally, I don't like killing off a game's main characters but in this case I think it would be somewhat fitting if he died.
I'm hoping Vergil won't die yet. There are a load of questions that need answering. Also who would kill him? Mundus is out of the picture and in DMC3 it was Mundus who defeated and turned Vergil to Nelo Angelo.
Maybe it is Vergil giving in fully to his devil side? In the comic Vergil mentions the more devil trigger is used, the more it takes over, like it has a hold on him. So downfall could mean he activates his trigger and then loses himself to his demon side. It would be fitting consiering in the comic he first introduces himself as 'the son of a devil' and totally ignores his angel side.

DankestDarkness

We all know that Mundus' goal was not world peace or protecting humans but to use humanity for his own good. That might also be the case for Vergil, even apart from his urge to assume control of the whole world.

We've got very little information on Vergil until now, what seems like brotherly feelings could just be another means to an end. In the end, I think this theory is highly unlikely but it is this room for speculation that makes DmC's story interesting to me.

Well the reason why it's called vergils downfall is because this takes place after Dante almost kills him so now he has nothing he knows he's weak and this downfall will be his way of getting stronger this is where that preppy boy them goes away and he reverts to his savage nature such as Dante in a new layer of hell so he can make himself more powerful to surpass Dante

Onecrazymonkey1

I just wanted to randomly say that I <3 your avatar :D

Anyway I really hope they don't kill him off or turn him into Nelo Angelo, while I did love to have a good fight with Nelo in DMC1; I would just hate if they turn him into a shell/husk one note character of his former self. I also think it's hilarious that Vergil ended up taking over most of this thread.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I just wanted to randomly say that I <3 your avatar :D

Anyway I really hope they don't kill him off or turn him into Nelo Angelo, while I did love to have a good fight with Nelo in DMC1; I would just hate if they turn him into a shell/husk one note character of his former self. I also think it's hilarious that Vergil ended up taking over most of this thread.
If Vergil has to end up as Nelo Angelo, I don't want it yet. They've established that Vergil has a goal to complete and it makes no sense to have him become enslaved by a demon king yet. That would be like the ultimate humiliation to Vergil considering how much he wants control not only of the world, but of his own life.

I guess Vergil takes over because he is popular:cool:

Onecrazymonkey1

I've just been wondering lately what would Mundus motivation be since he is immortal (how old is he anyway)? Doesn't he want something more then just sitting in his tower for all eternity twiddling his thumbs? Aside from just wanting revenge and feeding off of human souls I really think living forever would be hell (no pun intended). All we really know is that he imprisoned Sparda, killed Dante's and Vergil's mother, wants Dante himself dead and apparently wants an heir? We are never really shown anything else about his character. Maybe my pathetic mortal mind just can't comprehend immortality but really what would be the point? If you've virtually done everything that you can possibly do in your existence and most likely already have everything; I would find it hard to even care about living. Wouldn't the inability to die prevent closure of your life giving you absolutely no purpose whatsoever? Virtually nothing would stimulate you anymore and basically what's the difference from being dead anyway? I mean there is a part in the Witcher 2 where Iorveth (immortal elf) says that even sex becomes boring after a while. It would be pretty interesting if that's why the angels in this game seem so apathetic/non existent (basically because they've lived so long they just don't give a **** anymore)

At first I thought Mundus jumping after Dante and leaving the hell gate left unguarded was pretty dumb but then maybe he just subconsciously wanted to die anyway and just thought "well I'll go out with a bang" (although that's probably pushing it).

sorry if this sounds dumb, I know I can get weird thoughts in my head sometimes. >_<

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Nope not dumb. I'm totally going to agree with you on this. Really good character reading skills you got there.:D
Yep, if Mundus can live forever, why does he bother? He's going to be bored out of his mind ruling humans forever. I imagine that to be like playing the Sims games forever without turning the game off. :p
Sure, it might be fun at first, but after a while, it must get boring, right?

Maybe Mundus having the child with Lilith was an attmpt to make his life interesting:lol: He's completed everything, now wants to try something new at being a parent just to take away boredom. :lol: He doesn't even need an heir because he's immortal!

I mean, they guy is stuck in a tower and can't leave it unless he wants the hell gate tampered with, and the most he can do to entertain himself is bang Lilith and watch Bob Barbas on the news, then sometimes watch Dante on CCTV and make threats at him. >_< Such a boring and strange life. He might as well be dead.

Top Bottom