• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Catherine

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Well what a surprise for pulling overrated indie that tries to hard :/ Ironically one of my best buds played catherine recently and he noticed that game was actually about choices and responsibilities even before reaching the end. Whole Vincent's situation was nothing but exaggerated example, and wasn't even really important in the end. You just had to accept that you completely missed point of the game and didn't even tried to understand that it something bigger that "loser who's having problems with women". And if you think people like those represented in Catherine don't exist..well...I think you should leave your house ofter.
Also using allegory and understanding what it means isn't same. Some people use different concepts without even giving doubt that they doing it wrong
It's like when i met person who though "Master and Margarita" is stupid because only thing this person realized about it is that it's about devil in Moscow :/
So Journey is overrated and tries to hard? The game is very simple, and it succeeds in its metaphor for life itself and various stages throughout.

And it's like you don't even read completely my post if you still are on about me thinking that way about this silly video game. Take your head out of your butt and actually read what people are trying to tell you.

Plus, there you go again being the one to start antagonizing people. First you start calling people stupid, then you start acting like I'm some shut in who never gets out. You are so freaking obnoxious. It's because the rest of us have lives, social circles, and relationships we see how bad and wrong the morality mechanics and characters in Catherine are. Again, I'm just saying how badly the game is done in this regard of allegory and storytelling.

You're just so caught up in thinking Catherine is so good at what it does and anyone who says different "doesn't get it". You sound like those hardcore Christopher Nolan fans.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Looking at the game, Vincent is a total freaking tool and really dumb. If only he'd take 5 seconds to explain something instead of sweating like a faucet he'd actually get something done. Instead, he complains to his idiot friends constantly about constantly screwing up.

I was just waiting for someone to punch him in his stupid face every time he opened his mouth. They'd be totally justified.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Really? 'Cause in some ways, Vincent really reminds me of myself -- but yeah, you're right. Totally justified.
He has no backbone or common sense. Like I said, he's a total tool. Catherine seduces and manipulates him pretty easily and Katherine has an iron fisted control over him with her passive aggressive pushes towards marriage.

I would never date either or these nightmares really. Both girls are just whacko.

I mean, sure marriage is a topic that my girlfriend and I even discuss, but it's something we both feel that when it happens, it happens naturally in time. Neither of us are trying to rush anything. We're both just happy and love each other very much. That's good enough. But like I said, when it happens, it'll happen. When it's right, it's right ya know.

Marriage is not some responsibility or obligation in a relationship.

And there are still couples who do spend their entire lives together and never get married. My aunt and uncle have been together for as long as I can remember. They have a family and everything. They never married though. Not like a piece of paper would really change how they live their lives anyway. It'll be the same thing you know. They don't see the point.

Last edited:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Yeah, and it shouldn't be an obligation your immediate family forces on you, either. I've had a lot of fights with my own kin on that topic. I now avoid talking to them entirely because of this.

I hate people who try to control you. That's just the way it goes, I guess.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
All that being said, I think it would be nice getting married lol.

Finding that person you're really serious about kinda changes your perception on these kind of things.

Holly and I were both the kind of people not really all for commitment or typical romantic stuff, but being in love can really change you lol.

This is the kind of relationship we're both super serious about. And it's just amazing. I found a girl who loves me. The me that's even full of faults. She accepts and loves all of it. And I feel the same way about her.

People usually say this, but I wish I could have seen it sooner. Friends for over 6 years, and I never saw the most amazing girl ever was right there.

We're together now so I guess that's all that matters.

Sorry if I'm getting super cheesy and sappy. :tongue:

Maxman

All that being said, I think it would be nice getting married lol.

Finding that person you're really serious about kinda changes your perception on these kind of things.

Holly and I were both the kind of people not really all for commitment or typical romantic stuff, but being in love can really change you lol.

This is the kind of relationship we're both super serious about. And it's just amazing. I found a girl who loves me. The me that's even full of faults. She accepts and loves all of it. And I feel the same way about her.

People usually say this, but I wish I could have seen it sooner. Friends for over 6 years, and I never saw the most amazing girl ever was right there.

We're together now so I guess that's all that matters.

Sorry if I'm getting super cheesy and sappy. :tongue:
Goddammit, and here I am sitting alone, and feeling lonely :'(

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
No offense to you guys, but I've learned to live and bear my own burden alone.

Not because I have anything against romance, mind you, but because I've been disappointed too many times in the past to hold out that much hope for "a perfect match" anymore.

I know that she could be just around the corner, sure, but I'm not going to hold my breath, either. Besides, I'd rather be strong and alone than pining for someone who doesn't want me.

Not that I'm insulting Maxman, either. If he wants to go after someone, then he should look into David DeAngelo (or some other dating advice expert) and sharpen up his skills so that he can meet "the one."

I'm not saying he has no dating skills either, I'm just saying that even the "experts" in this "field" can benefit from listening to the "masters" of knowing how to deal with their "inner game."

It's a lot harder to deal with your personal demons than it looks, after all.

Me, on the other hand, have met various types of women, and the ones who were into the same games I were were either unavailable, or just plain uninterested.

Which is fine. Statistically, 70% of all women out there will not want to date for one reason or another -- finding a girl who likes the same types of games that I do is a rather monumental effort because of that.

I've gone out with women who aren't into games as well, and in the end they were just too boring for me to pursue a relationship with.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the ones I want to go out with don't want me, and the ones who do want to go out, I'm not interested in.

It's tough. So I adapt. I become a better person as a result of this. And I'm perfectly fine that way.

Last edited:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
So Journey is overrated and tries to hard? The game is very simple, and it succeeds in its metaphor for life itself and various stages throughout.

And it's like you don't even read completely my post if you still are on about me thinking that way about this silly video game. Take your head out of your butt and actually read what people are trying to tell you.

Plus, there you go again being the one to start antagonizing people. First you start calling people stupid, then you start acting like I'm some shut in who never gets out. You are so freaking obnoxious. It's because the rest of us have lives, social circles, and relationships we see how bad and wrong the morality mechanics and characters in Catherine are. Again, I'm just saying how badly the game is done in this regard of allegory and storytelling.

You're just so caught up in thinking Catherine is so good at what it does and anyone who says different "doesn't get it". You sound like those hardcore Christopher Nolan fans.
Well it's not me who acts like drama-queen on every single occasion. You start argument based on your tin-foiled opinions, and that's is stupid. I don't need to antagonize you. Most of your posts are insulting yourself just fine without my help. You probably on top 5 list of whiny, pretentious, arrogant jerks i ever met on internet, since all you do on forum is either a) bash yourself in chest like ape and screaming and bragging how you are best and smartest person ever in this world. b) insult others c) whine about how this or that goes wrong for you in real life. Seriously, what is wrong with you?
You do realize that even if you don't want to recognize something or you disagree with something it doesn't really removes it value. So you think it's silly? I know people who thinks it smart. in this terms your opinion is completely unimportant to me, since you can't really say something smart besides, hurr durr it is.
So yeah, continue to live in your imaginary bubble, while I just add on ignore, and stop wasting my brain cells on somebody like you.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I actually played it for the story and and conversation options.

I liked hanging out in the bar, talking to people, having time pass whenever you do, and putting in different dialogue inputs on my phone (which is probably one of the most innovative dialogue gameplay features ever, and I say that without exaggeration), and basically just... living life. I liked that mundane aspect intertwined with my nightly, bizarre escapades.
In all honesty, I thought Catherine had a lot of really good ideas, but just executed them badly. I like the idea of all the options you mentioned, and the way the game presents them gives you a definite feeling of immersion.

The problem is that it doesn't pay off, at least for me. When all the dialogue options have unraveled, once the sequence of text messages have concluded, the actual story and characters don't pose half the narrative weight or impact that the developers want us to believe. THAT is Catherine's failure as a game, especially one so story-driven.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Sorry, I thought I did, but I must have accidentally clicked something. Need another mouse :p.

Regardless, I'm not alone when it comes to dealing with the way he treats people. I only started getting personal because he did, and it actually took me a few post before I did get really fed up. And that's also pretty tame if I say so myself.

Just because someone else thinks differently, he resorts straight to his passive aggressive insults calling people stupid and what not. He's done this multiple people all over the forum. He's just a super pretentious jerk really. I know I can't be alone in thinking that. He needs to learn to chill out.

Me, I'm cool if you're cool. Yes I can get also pretty passionate about things, and be sometimes a tad brutally honest and direct when my opinionated side shows, but all in all I think I can be pretty chill for the most part. Sure, I'm probably never in the running for mod, but I doubt I've been that much of a pain in the a$$ lol. I try not to be that insufferable :p.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Best cause of action for both of you I think before any more flame wars start and warnings etc start needing to be handed out to people.
Already done. Though no offense, but I wish sometimes that there was some stop sign for trolling on this forum. Most users are very nice people, but I have feeling there is just whole group of people here, acting as one, whose been dedicated to trolling and annoying other users. I know I went overboard in this thread, and I know he's not the only one I argued with, yet there are some things that are freaking annoying and they just wont stop until at least someone stood up against them. So I apologize for it, yet, other threads like Bayonetta 2 one keep suffering from those people, and this only ruins overall positive impression on this forum :/ I hope with more people running mods community it gonna change for better.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Oddly enough, Catherine was Atlus' test game for their next gen engine. They were developing it for Persona 5 to be on the PS3 and it ended up been a PS4/3 title anyway.

Top Bottom