• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

another preview from euruogamer

Gbraga

Just my two cents but I don't find it unnecessary or overly intrusive - the SHORT cutscene is quite cool imo and it has story reasoning behind it (cuz the tubes extract the poison). I see no reason to be so riled up about it :/ It also gives you a chance to take a sip of your drink before resuming the fight! :) If you don't like the boss then upon second playthrough skip it... Simple. I wouldn't call it garbage though - it is a lot better than fights like the gorilla in DMC2 for example! Just my opinion though...
Ok, it's better than DMC2, I'll give you that much. I don't think any sane person would put this game below DMC2 lol

And even if it was the best cutscene ever, why not giving us the option to skip it? If they think the story behind it is so important, then at least let us skip it when we're replaying it. I wouldn't skip anything in my first playthrough anyway.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Ok, it's better than DMC2, I'll give you that much. I don't think any sane person would put this game below DMC2 lol

And even if it was the best cutscene ever, why not giving us the option to skip it? If they think the story behind it is so important, then at least let us skip it when we're replaying it. I wouldn't skip anything in my first playthrough anyway.

Who knows. Now that you've brought it up, maybe someone from NT will read this, and inform Tameen and Itsuno about it.

Also, I don't see the cutscenes as God awful.

Then again I play ALOT of Kingdom Hearts (Specifically KH2) so small cutscenes like that are more just a small break from the fighting, or something cool to watch so that all my efforts aren't single-angled. I'd like to know what I'm doing from more then one angel. While transitioning to the second part of the fight.^_^

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It's not minor, the boss fight is designed like one you'd see in a garbage game that no one cares about, it doesn't belong in DMC or any decent hack'n'slash for that matter, Heavenly Sword's boss fights were better than the Poison boss fight, and unskippable cutscenes in a replay-based game is not minor as well. If it doesn't bother you, you could just not skip anything even if the game gave you the option, why do you have to defend the lack of options? Would it hurt you if they let us skip all those unnessecary and intrusive cutscenes?

Sure, having the option is nice, but something that is literally only a few seconds really isn't a big deal. That's why I say it's nitpicking, man, because it is. It sucks the option to skip isn't there, but damn dude, it's mere seconds!

It's also entirely possible that some of these were done to buffer loading elements of certain areas. Max Payne 3 did it, but damn, the loading was hella long, so you couldn't skip cutscenes sometimes until halfway through the scene's run time. But hey, that's how we get seamless cinematic to action transitions. DmC isn't supposed to be a regular hack 'n' slash, it's supposed to emphasize its narrative. I'm grateful it doesn't have Max Payne 3's loading times, though :p

Saying something doesn't belong is just really old fashioned, and many of the greatest games break the molds of their genre.

Dominus

Sure, having the option is nice, but something that is literally only a few seconds really isn't a big deal. That's why I say it's nitpicking, man, because it is. It sucks the option to skip isn't there, but damn dude, it's mere seconds!

It's also entirely possible that some of these were done to buffer loading elements of certain areas. Max Payne 3 did it, but damn, the loading was hella long, so you couldn't skip cutscenes sometimes until halfway through the scene's run time. But hey, that's how we get seamless cinematic to action transitions. DmC isn't supposed to be a regular hack 'n' slash, it's supposed to emphasize its narrative. I'm grateful it doesn't have Max Payne 3's loading times, though :p

Saying something doesn't belong is just really old fashioned, and many of the greatest games break the molds of their genre.
The loading is already bad in this game (especially on the PS3). Compare the loading times to MGR:R and its like night and day.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
MGR also has static backgrounds and has less content. And how 'bout that getting a codec call when you enter the building and not being able to skip it :p

Dominus

MGR also has static backgrounds and has less content. And how 'bout that getting a codec call when you enter the building and not being able to skip it :p
Let's see ~20 second load time to play beginning of Underwatch or 1 second load time to play MGR. That's just ridiculous.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Your point...? I just said that the DmC demo has a lot more content to load than MGR :/ Logically, something with more assets to load is going to take longer. I don't really care how much longer, and anything is better than Skyrim's constant "Going through a door? HERE'S A LOADING SCREEN" stuff.

I like the fact that DmC seems to load most of the level's assets in one go. Helps keep the flow better that way, unlike Skyrim >.<

Dominus

Your point...? I just said that the DmC demo has a lot more content to load than MGR :/ Logically, something with more assets to load is going to take longer. I don't really care how much longer, and anything is better than Skyrim's constant "Going through a door? HERE'S A LOADING SCREEN" stuff.

I like the fact that DmC seems to load most of the level's assets in one go. Helps keep the flow better that way, unlike Skyrim >_<
My point is its bad programming and unacceptable in a linear game with small combat arenas. The amount of assets in each area is pretty small compared to a more open world game. They also hide loading in some of the cutscenes in the game as well (between areas) which makes sense, but then why if you are hiding loading in cutscenes does it take 20 seconds to load the first level. Hell if reload the level from the first section you get a loading..loll

Gbraga

Static backgrounds but 60fps, which is in my opinion A LOT better than moving backgrounds that you only interact with in scripted sequences but 30 fps.

And you actually interact with the environments through gameplay in MGR, you can cut pillars to make enemies in higher grounds fall, you can cut through something to get your enemy, you can even build yourself a shortcut by cutting stuff.

Being forced to walk slowly during the codec call is dumb, indeed.

Dominus

I see there's complaining about the loading screen for DmC, yet no one complains about DMC3 and DMC4's long ass loading screens.:/
Nope
That's what like 4 seconds? Not 15-20 seconds. And DMC3 was on the PS2, but hey let's hold games in 2013 to the loading standards of games released 8 years ago. I even checked the HD collection loading and it's still better (lol). Also even in the demo when you exit a secret mission, the game takes 6 seconds to load back the place you were in. DMC4 1 second..
Static backgrounds but 60fps, which is in my opinion A LOT better than moving backgrounds that you only interact with in scripted sequences but 30 fps.

And you actually interact with the environments through gameplay in MGR, you can cut pillars to make enemies in higher grounds fall, you can cut through something to get your enemy, you can even build yourself a shortcut by cutting stuff.

Being forced to walk slowly during the codec call is dumb, indeed.
I'd agree the unskippable codec scenes suck and I hope in the retail game you can skip them (but from how they play out you probably can't).

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Nope
That's what like 4 seconds? Not 15-20 seconds. And DMC3 was on the PS2, but hey let's hold games in 2013 to the loading standards of games released 8 years ago. I even checked the HD collection loading and it's still better (lol). Also even in the demo when you exit a secret mission, the game takes 6 seconds to load back the place you were in. DMC4 1 second..

I'd agree the unskippable codec scenes suck and I hope in the retail game you can skip them (but from how they play out you probably can't).

Uh, no. DMC3 has you waiting more then 6 seconds.

Also, are we really about to go into a "DMC has shorter loading then DmC"? Really? are we THAT bored here?

Dominus

Uh, no. DMC3 has you waiting more then 6 seconds.

Also, are we really about to go into a "DMC has shorter loading then DmC"? Really? are we THAT bored here?
I didn't say that DMC3 loaded in under 6 seconds.... I said dmc4 loaded in around 4 seconds.. But the point is, is that compared to DMC4 a "this" gen game, the loading times in this game suck. And DMC4 came out in 2008!

Gbraga

The loading times in the demo are pretty bad, but hopefully the PC version will be better.

Frazz

General gamer
I didn't say that DMC3 loaded in under 6 seconds.... I said dmc4 loaded in around 4 seconds.. But the point is, is that compared to DMC4 a "this" gen game, the loading times in this game suck. And DMC4 came out in 2008!
As stated before - this game has more to load! Does DMC4 have environments that destroy themselves? No. Does DMC4 have an interisting loading screen? No. Does a slightly longer loading screen make the combat/narrative worse? No. Who cares about a few seconds of loading? As long as the game is fun I don't give a sh*t.

Blacknerd

Wait so people are seriously arguing about a 20 second cutscene from the boss fight that really doesnt break the game as much as it seems like people are saying it will. Also long load times on a demo really arent a problem when it may or may not be changed by the time the game is realsed. Then also installing games onto the hard drive.

Also again like others said with MGR I got annoyed with the unskippable conversations that all metal gears let you skip whenever you wanted. It had short load times yeah but its twice as linear as DmC. Stopping to talk to the civi you saved. Waiting for the boss to summon enemies for you to fight. Watching more enemies spawn in a small block like arena

Bad programming? Last I checked its just a matter of the content loaded into the game. DMC4 and MGR had nothing but enemies in the environment and thats about it. DmC has the load the environment that shift and change as well as the enemies etc more than what the previous 2 did. Unreal renders more than MT and whatever MGR is on. Why are we doing this whole competition again when it really matters on how fun the game is.

DmCs cutscenes that you cant skip are so minor it really doesnt matter. A short 8 second break when fighting a boss, or solving puzzles in the level. Really if you are having loads of fun a small interlude between fights shouldnt bother you. I never groaned about so I see no problem.

It feels like every other DMC fan is a speed freak hopped up on speed and anything that is shorter that 1 second = horrible......that was a joke

Dominus

Bad programming? Last I checked its just a matter of the content loaded into the game. DMC4 and MGR had nothing but enemies in the environment and thats about it. DmC has the load the environment that shift and change as well as the enemies etc more than what the previous 2 did. Unreal renders more than MT and whatever MGR is on. Why are we doing this whole competition again when it really matters on how fun the game is.
You're making an assumption about how much Unreal is rendering as opposed to MGR's engine (which isn't MT framework btw). DmC usually loads the shifting environment after you fight your battles (you see a load screen appear), but it could load some of it before hand. Plus if the environment is always deforming in the same way you don't know if they are preloading ripped up portions of the environment, or if they are actually dynamically breaking them up in the engine. And yes programming in addition to data layout on a disc determines load times (and also hardware etc etc).
http://www.flipcode.com/archives/Reducing_Game_Load_Times.shtml
http://systematicgaming.wordpress.com/2008/09/18/load-times-layouts-and-more/#more-231
Alternately, load times can be reduced with programming techniques including efficient memory management, carefully timed disc-based access mechanisms, and hand-calibrated image compression. But man, all that stuff sounds really boring.
http://www.ugo.com/games/little-black-book-huge-freaking-doors
http://systematicgaming.wordpress.com/2008/09/01/load-times-reading-files/
http://systematicgaming.wordpress.com/2008/09/08/load-times-asynchronous-loading/

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
I didn't have an issue with the load times. The ink blot combo never gets old.
especially since as you progress in the game, the combo changes.

I'm not really to upset about any load screens since every game has some. If it was possible to have no loads screens at all, that would be great, but since we can't i really don't care. But i have been getting impatient about the unskippable cut scenes in the DmC demo, but thats only because i've played the same levels for over 40 hours. Anything done that much tends to get annoying. In DMC4, when you have to walk through the snowy mountains got me really ****ed because it was 1 of many long and boring walks with nothing happening. Thank god they added a run mechanic.

Top Bottom