• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Another DmC article

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
DmC Devil May Cry preview - tears for fears

We don't know how exactly Capcom chooses which Western developers to work with, but it's hard to imagine it doesn't involve a bottle of gin and a game of blindfolded darts. Blue Castle Games worked out okay on Dead Rising, but rubbish like Dark Void and Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City has been amongst the worst games Capcom has ever published.

And yet even with Spark Unlimited working on Lost Planet 3 their most controversial choice is to put British team Ninja Theory to work on Devil May Cry. Having the makers of Heavenly Sword and Enslaved: Odyssey To The West create a reboot of the whole series has been seen by some as sacrilege - with Ninja Theory actually receiving death threats from outraged fans.
It's hard to understand exactly how a mere video game could generate that level of upset but Devil May Cry seems to have become a line in the sand for some fans, in terms of franchises they're unwilling to see handled by a non-Japanese developer. It hasn't helped that Heavenly Sword is a fairly pale imitation of Devil May Cry's general style or that that the re-imagined version of protagonist Dante is such an unlikeable hipster douchebag.

He was actually fairly inoffensive in the demo we played, but then it didn't have any significant cut scenes before it - which we wonder now may have been intentional.

The other thing fans get upset about is that the new game does not run at the optimum 60 frames per second of the original. That's still the case in the preview we played but we have to admit it's not terribly obvious - although there's generally less going on on-screen then we assume there will be by the end of the game.

What is obvious is that the graphics really aren't very good. The game might not be finished but at this stage there's a general lack of detail and so many jaggies we felt we might cut our finger if we touched the TV screen. There's plenty of time for spit and polish later (the game's release date seems destined to make it the first major release of 2013) but we have to say the visuals didn't bother us.

Source: http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/903252-dmc-devil-may-cry-preview-tears-for-fears

Yeah, so it's the same thing. Gotta admit though, had to laugh at the way they think Capcom chose companies.

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer
As far as we understand the plot is set in a parallel dimension, so many of the characters are the same (Mundus and Vergil are both back) but nothing is tied down to previously established canon.

Woah, hold on a sec! Did he just wrote that Vergil is back?

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
wow i really feel that these guys writing the article are TRYING to make the game sound bad.
the reason i say this is because the comment they make about the graphics being bad, literally every other article i've read about says the graphics looks great. even the people that don't like the game admit that the graphics are great.

darkdeamon92/dmc3/

hmm well as for the graphics they look really gr8 maybe even better than DMC4....but then again haters will alwayz be haters even if u put it right in front of there eyes....and hay if hes right about vergil being back that awesome news:D.....i can imagine VB jumping up and down...:p i am too :D

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
Wow, it didn't copy the whole article?
I never saw the Vergil thing.... (couldn't have been paying attention). Bad graphics eh? And i thought my eyes needed testing. Perhaps they are saying these things because they think its what people want to hear... maybe.

Then again, these people at metro only like Street Fighter and Mario... everything else is just rubbish. (Believe me, I've been reading their articles for long enough ;) )

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
Death threat? i wouldn't waste my energy... they'd probably post it on their site and rate it 3/10 lol...

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
This is the rest of the interview for those who have crappy computers

In fact none of the game's many issues, imagined or real, proved to be an obstacle - for the simple and all-important fact that it was great fun to play.

Despite all the death threats and forum rants the truth is DmC both looks and plays very similarly to the original games. As far as we understand the plot is set in a parallel dimension, so many of the characters are the same (Mundus and Vergil are both back) but nothing is tied down to previously established canon.

As the demo level starts Dante is walking through Limbo City with Kat, a new character who seems to act as a sort of psychic guide and more level-headed companion. The gothic architecture is straight out of the earlier games, although DmC seems to make a point of not having a fixed camera.

Leaving Kat behind Dante fades into the demon realm and suddenly the CCTV cameras (see, we told you Ninja Theory are British!) spawn giant eyeballs and a horde of demonic monsters begin to descend upon him. Again the basics of combat are exactly as the series has always been, with Dante wielding both a sword (still called Rebellion) and a pair of twin pistols (still called Ebony and Ivory).

Where DmC starts to make its mark in gameplay terms, instead of just presentation, is the use of the angel and demon triggers. These allow you to transform into different forms that make you more powerful when attacking demonic or angelic enemies. Match your foe with the opposite trigger and you get a Pokémon style elemental boost to your attacks.

Your attacks change too depending on what form you're in, with your demon mode transforming your sword into a giant and unwieldy axe. In angel mode your sword becomes a scythe, which needs a second or two wind up to do real damage.

Dante can also enter his traditional rage mode, which increases your power against all enemies. It only has a limited time use though, during which Dante's hair turns white and he suddenly looks like his old alternate universe self.

But our favourite aspect of the demon and angel forms is the way they change whether you use a hookshot to grab an enemy and yank them towards you or reverse the direction and shoot you towards them.

That sounds a more trivial difference on paper than it does in the game and we had enormous fun chaining attacks so that we smacked a flying enemy higher into the sky and then hookshot towards them to launch them even further. At this point the attending PR person got a little nervous at what they saw as a bug, but we were rather impressed that the same mechanic kept working at 200 foot in the air the same as it did at ground level.

After all it's that kind of glitching and emergent gameplay that spawned the series in the first place. (The first Devil May Cry game was meant to be a Resident Evil sequel, inspired by a bug in Onimusha that let you launch and juggle enemies in the air like a fighting game.)

Defeating the enemies we press on further into the level as the city itself begins to morph around us, apparently trying to crush us between its streets before we reach a cathedral where the walls themselves speed away from us as we try to jump onto them.

There's a certain scrappiness about DmC, that we have a feeling isn't going to entirely disappear even in the final version, but we still thoroughly enjoyed what we've played of it so far. Although we've no way of knowing how many more moves Dante can unlock by the game's end, at this stage the game doesn't seem to have anywhere near the depth of obvious rival Bayonetta (by the original creator of Devil May Cry).

But in its favour DmC is more accessible in terms of the basics of content. We'd suggest in terms of the character and setting too, but we don't want to end up getting any death threats ourselves.

Formats: Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC
Publisher: Capcom
Developer: Ninja Theory
Release Date: 15th January 2013

darkdeamon92/dmc3/

hay guys....i know this is not the place but i just had an idea and i want to post it before i lose it :D......so i was just watching the covenant and i thought what if dante is like that....i mean he is not 18 yet so his demonic power isn't mature yet so maybe on his 18 b-day his power matre and his hair turns white and all...so when his demonic power have matured he can take a demon form.....what do u think?? not a bad idea....

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
hay guys....i know this is not the place but i just had an idea and i want to post it before i lose it :D......so i was just watching the covenant and i thought what if dante is like that....i mean he is not 18 yet so his demonic power isn't mature yet so maybe on his 18 b-day his power matre and his hair turns white and all...so when his demonic power have matured he can take a demon form.....what do u think?? not a bad idea....

Dante's around 23 in this one.

Top Bottom