• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Another DmC article

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
My Toph avatar has blessed me lately. I've made a great choice picking it! :)

I kinda believe the graphics comment, DmC does look cheapish.

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
Basing my opinion on the trailers we've seen DmC doesn't seem as "pretty" as DMC4 does. To me anyway.

im gonna have to disagree with you there m8 i think the graphics are WAAAY better than DMC4. but the styles are different. this one is far darker(literally) and more realistic. while DMC4 was more animeish. the different styles are what set them apart....so by my own definition i cant actually say graphics has improved...wow im redundant. but you know what ISNT redundant:
fanart-cosplay-the-last-fruitbender.jpg

ill stop now, promise :D

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
im gonna have to disagree with you there m8 i think the graphics are WAAAY better than DMC4. but the styles are different. this one is far darker(literally) and more realistic. while DMC4 was more animeish. the different styles are what set them apart....so by my own definition i cant actually say graphics has improved...wow im redundant. but you know what ISNT redundant:

Melon Lord! :D

Agree to disagree. ^_^

Azurel

"(The first Devil May Cry game was meant to be a Resident Evil sequel, inspired by a bug in Onimusha that let you launch and juggle enemies in the air like a fighting game.)"
I had been telling people (not in the forum, but in real life) all along that the juggle mechanics were taken from a bug in Onimusha. Shinji Mikami isn't nearly as original as people think he is.
I didn't do it in the forum because I had no source. Now, I have one.
It's a sad day when you have to take your winning mechanic from a fellow developer. Wow. Onimusha should have just kept the bug. More people would have known Mikami had taken it for himself then.
Imagine what DMC1 would have been without that mechanic. It would have been kind of fun, but it wouldn't have been nearly the same game without being able to juggle with Alastor and Ifrit's Kick 13. (you might be able to get a couple of shots in with a regular Ifrit combo before the enemy hit the ground, but that's it)
Yes, I know it had Jump Cancel, but that was with a shotgun only and the enemy had to be in front of a wall so that every time it would get blasted, it would be able to remain in range. That's the only weapon you can do it with, so, it's almost a non-factor.
Good luck trying to pull it off, in any case. It's not as easy as it looks, cutting off the number of people able to do it.
Besides, DMC3 did it better than nearly anyone else. (Bayonetta couldn't even change it's control scheme--not that it needed to, due to the fact that you had a lot of aerial combos available--but the point still stands. I miss the j/c spamming from DMC 3 and 4--you know, the ones Mikami wasn't involved in.)
Just goes to show that, aside from the atmosphere, DMC1 only had this and a slight freeform combo system to separate it from from other slash-em-ups like Sword of the Berserk: Guts Rage.
Not to mention other games like Virtua Fighter 3tb (and other fighters as well) already had a juggle mechanic, so, it had more or less already been done at that point.
And better, if I might add.
Yes. I went there.

berto

I Saw the Devil
"(The first Devil May Cry game was meant to be a Resident Evil sequel, inspired by a bug in Onimusha that let you launch and juggle enemies in the air like a fighting game.)"
I had been telling people (not in the forum, but in real life) all along that the juggle mechanics were taken from a bug in Onimusha. Shinji Mikami isn't nearly as original as people think he is.
I didn't do it in the forum because I had no source. Now, I have one.
It's a sad day when you have to take your winning mechanic from a fellow developer. Wow. Onimusha should have just kept the bug. More people would have known Mikami had taken it for himself then.
Imagine what DMC1 would have been without that mechanic. It would have been kind of fun, but it wouldn't have been nearly the same game without being able to juggle with Alastor and Ifrit's Kick 13. (you might be able to get a couple of shots in with a regular Ifrit combo before the enemy hit the ground, but that's it)
Yes, I know it had Jump Cancel, but that was with a shotgun only and the enemy had to be in front of a wall so that every time it would get blasted, it would be able to remain in range. That's the only weapon you can do it with, so, it's almost a non-factor.
Good luck trying to pull it off, in any case. It's not as easy as it looks, cutting off the number of people able to do it.
Besides, DMC3 did it better than nearly anyone else. (Bayonetta couldn't even change it's control scheme...not that it needed to, due to the fact that you had a lot of aerial combos available, but the point still stands. I miss the j/c spamming from DMC 3 and 4....you know, the ones Mikami wasn't involved in.)
Just goes to show that, aside from the atmosphere, DMC1 only had this and a slight freeform combo system to separate it from from other slash-em-ups like Sword of the Berserk: Guts Rage.
Not to mention other games like Virtua Fighter 3tb (and other fighters as well) already had a juggle mechanic, so, it had more or less already been done at that point.
And better, if I might add.
Yes. I went there.
That's great and all but Mikami did work on the original Onimusha, and chances are that alot of people who worked on Onimusha worked on DMC. It's not stealing or taking from other developers when you let them know you're doing it or they agree that you should. I douth the Capcom staff are sneaking peaks at each other project to steal from one another, specially considering how many common names pop up in the development list meaninng that they all work together constantly. So they didn't steal from Onimusha in the same way they didn't take from Resident Evil.

Shinji Mikami has made a large number of fantastic IP's that people still play today. He created some of Capcom's flagship titles, he was the producer for some of it's most iconic, and director of some of the most succesful. Even his flops managed to span cult followings. So, no, original is something that no one really is anymore, you can argue the source of everything these days, but he is rather creative, and so are the people that he works with.

As for the juggling making DMC? I don't use bullet juggle that often and launching enemies into the air is not the same mechanic. It's great and all, and it's fun to do but it's hardly the only element in DMC and by no means it's selling point.

I'm not sure what beef you got against Mikami but I find your arguments misplaced and untrue.

Azurel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frédérick_Raynal

This is the man who created Alone in the Dark.

http://retro.ign.com/articles/104/1040759p3.html

Shinji Mikami merely copied that game, slapped zombies on it, and called it Resident Evil. RE also had a so-so story at best that had been done much better by George Romero.

When asked what the difference would be with RE and AITD, he merely said, "The graphics kick ass." Of course, I'm not surprised by that answer. At all.

http://retro.ign.com/articles/104/1040759p4.html

Raynal knew that graphics age quickly, (outside of cell shading) so he placed an emphasis on sound in his game. He was very much ahead of his time.

And since DMC1 used the RE engine, it also owes credit to Raynal....and Blade....and Symphony of the Night....and fighting games. Yeah, DMC is very original. I've never seen anything like it before.

Educate yourself. You might learn something from it.

Edit: And Inuyasha as well.

Domenic93

fanart-cosplay-the-last-fruitbender.jpg

ill stop now, promise :D
well to be fair dmc4 was more shonenish than animeish, since there are plent of action packed animes
like hellsing (ultimate, not the ****ty original anime series that didn't follow the manga) it managed to do everything the original DMC wanted to do and more, it was able to blend comedy, action, horror, vampire nazis, dracula, into one masterful show and the dub was first class, all the voice actors sounded exactly like they should have, like british, I only had a minor gripe with one voice, Anderson's, who didn't have that good of an irish/scottish accent.

but I digress capcom doesn't know how to do things in degrees,when ever someone says that something in a game could have been improved they go as far in that direction as they can, like how people said dante was too much of a clown in 4, so they tried with this one to make him a lot more serious possibly way too far. 4 is also them trying get girls to pick up the game

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
well to be fair dmc4 was more shonenish than animeish, since there are plent of action packed animes
like hellsing (ultimate, not the ****ty original anime series that didn't follow the manga) it managed to do everything the original DMC wanted to do and more, it was able to blend comedy, action, horror, vampire nazis, dracula, into one masterful show and the dub was first class, all the voice actors sounded exactly like they should have, like british, I only had a minor gripe with one voice, Anderson's, who didn't have that good of an irish/scottish accent.

but I digress capcom doesn't know how to do things in degrees,when ever someone says that something in a game could have been improved they go as far in that direction as they can, like how people said dante was too much of a clown in 4, so they tried with this one to make him a lot more serious possibly way too far. 4 is also them trying get girls to pick up the game

actually Anderson was supposed to be Italian but that doesnt matter tbh. the anime is epic and so is the manga.

i think capcom are actually making the right choice here. by making him more serious and rebelious it makes his ordeal seem that much more real. i mean when you think about all they went through im surprised only Vergil became a socio-path. as such it makes his journey all the more epic and the conclusion all the more dramatic. because unlike DMC he is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. but he's still trying to do what's right even though he could easily become a true force of evil and noone could blame him for it.

berto

I Saw the Devil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frédérick_Raynal

This is the man who created Alone in the Dark.

http://retro.ign.com/articles/104/1040759p3.html

Shinji Mikami merely copied that game, slapped zombies on it, and called it Resident Evil. RE also had a so-so story at best that had been done much better by George Romero.

When asked what the difference would be with RE and AITD, he merely said, "The graphics kick ass." Of course, I'm not surprised by that answer. At all.

http://retro.ign.com/articles/104/1040759p4.html

Raynal knew that graphics age quickly, (outside of cell shading) so he placed an emphasis on sound in his game. He was very much ahead of his time.

And since DMC1 used the RE engine, it also owes credit to Raynal....and Blade....and Symphony of the Night....and fighting games. Yeah, DMC is very original. I've never seen anything like it before.

Educate yourself. You might learn something from it.
Wow, you really, really don't like the guy.

Is it because of this? Because of the similareties to Alone in the Dark? Are you a fan of Raynal's and hate that RE gets as much credit as it does among the masses? Do you feel the same way about all of the other games that did that, too? That used Alone as refrence to creating their games? Because I'm sure RE wasn't the only one, just the most famouse of 'em.

So you think that Alone in the Dark was an original creation. that the creator had absolutly no inspirations from any where else. He saw no movies, read no book, played no video games that influenced him and therefore it all originated from his lone imagination. It owes credit to no one and nothing.

Got any more examples or just this one?

You also seem to really hate DMC1. Have it your way, no ones forcing you to play.

One thing you should also be aware that an engine is what games runs on, RE and Megaman(PS1 titles) run on the same engine and I seriously douth that Megaman owes squat to Raynal? The RE engine was a PS1 engine and DMC's was a PS2, so, no DMC doesn't run on the RE engine because there is no such thing. Capcom's inhouse engine is what they used and they didn't sneak into anyone's house to steal it, they paid people to develop one. What your talking about isn't an engine, it's a tecnique. The technique they used was to have a fixed camera and show pre-rendered backgrounds. As for PS2, the pre-rendered backgrounds ended with Onimusha, so, in terms of rendering techniques that's as far as that goes for 3D games with that method. Infact, it ended When DMC1 started using the moving camera. That and do you really see that much of Alone in DMC1?

Vezild

Taking Back Lordran One Boss At a Time
There's something wrong with this article. Something just doesn't seem right here...
Ah well maybe I'm biased xD I'm glad they were honest (I think). DmC is not perfect. Back to being cautious with my expectations!

Azurel

I have. Owned it once. Wasn't interested enough to play it. Traded it. Regretting it to this day.

They have it on psp, playstation store, xbox live market, so there's always a chance you can get it in some way, shape or form. The psp one is preferrable, because it has two (technically three) games in it, and they redid the voice work. A bonus, to be sure.

Unless you like miserable little piles of secrets, that is.

Azurel

Every time I think of Symphony, I think of Alucard's appearance in Lords of Shadow II. If they don't go Metroidvania in the next game, there will be consequences, believe me.

Railazel

Yeah, DMC is very original. I've never seen anything like it before.

Alone in the Dark, Blade, Symphony of the Night, or Inuyasha did not create the inspirations for the DMC franchise nor any of the action games that followed it.

DMC was developed under a series of various creative ideas and speculations regarding the character design and direction of Dante, Vergil, and his father. At first, Dante wasn't going to be a devil hunter, he was going to be a treasure hunter, then they changed him into a detective, and finally a devil hunter. Vergil was always going to be his rival in a similar fashion as his current form. Their father was going to be a prestigious and awfully ancient owner of a mansion and ultimately their antagonist, but they later changed him into Mundus. Sparda was never actually had a part during development, at least from what I understand. Both Dante and Vergil would have supernatural powers due to some connection their father had with Umbrella, naturally they changed this to having demonic abilities.

So, yes, DMC is similar to Blade and Inuyasha, but it is not based off of either franchises.

berto

I Saw the Devil
So, yes, DMC is similar to Blade and Inuyasha, but it is not based off of either franchises.
Inuyasha, no, but Blade was.

There was a lot of comments as to how DMC was somewhat inspired (action wise) by the Matrix. In an interview for DMC4 producer Kobayashi was asked to comment on anything the fans might've not known, he said that it wasn't the Matrix but rather the film Blade that the staff took inspiration from.

Edit: For more on that:
http://devilmaycry.org/community/th...-was-to-replace-dante.9878/page-3#post-307671

Top Bottom