• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

You are handed the opportunity to direct a devil may cry game

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
what if you were taneem (please refrain from jokes, i know he's a dick and so does the rest of the world) and you were handed the opportunity to show the world your version of dante's adventures as a devil hunter. what would it be like?

IncarnatedDemon

First thing i would do, is not to reboot anything.

I would make a spin off game about when Eva was murdered. The game will take 8 year old Vergil's perspective.

The game opening begins with Eva being attacked by 3 strong demons. And the twins appear. Vergil stands there and he is paralyzed in fear.
Eva tries to fight back with magic, but she is no match.

Dante rushes to aid Eva and does everything but he is of no help. While all of this happens, Eva tells the twins to run. But they dont run.
Vergil doesnt do anything, he stands there scared. While Dante doesnt care how strong the demons are, he attacks them. But Eva tells them to run away again. Vergil runs away, but Dante remains.

Vergil does not look back, he juist keeps on running. After Vergil is out of sight, the fight continues, Dante is still there, but Eva shouts at him and tells him he cant defend her.
Dante runs away too eventually, and Eva is killed shortly after.

And the scene goes back to Vergil. He blames himself for being weak. He loved his mother and was very attatched to her in contrast to Dante who was very loose child.

Anyway, at end of this spin off, you see Vergil killing the last demon by activating his devil trigger only 50%.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
First thing i would do, is not to reboot anything.

I would make a spin off game about when Eva was murdered. The game will take 8 year old Vergil's perspective.

The game opening begins with Eva being attacked by 3 strong demons. And the twins appear. Vergil stands there and he is paralyzed in fear.
Eva tries to fight back with magic, but she is no match.

Dante rushes to aid Eva and does everything but he is of no help. While all of this happens, Eva tells the twins to run. But they dont run.
Vergil doesnt do anything, he stands there scared. While Dante doesnt care how strong the demons are, he attacks them. But Eva tells them to run away again. Vergil runs away, but Dante remains.

Vergil does not look back, he juist keeps on running. After Vergil is out of sight, the fight continues, Dante is still there, but Eva shouts at him and tells him he cant defend her.
Dante runs away too eventually, and Eva is killed shortly after.

And the scene goes back to Vergil. He blames himself for being weak. He loved his mother and was very attatched to her in contrast to Dante who was very loose child.

Anyway, at end of this spin off, you see Vergil killing the last demon by activating his devil trigger only 50%.

what would you do with the environments? the characters?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I would reboot a lot of things.

First Dante; I would instead go back to his DMC1 character and make him a bit more likable and less clowny. He would have his morals instead of throw them away to look cool. He'd have honor instead of being a party obsessed moron. He'd be an idle Devil Hunter who wants to save the world. of course he'll have his cocky side as well. But this will all be a ruse to hide what he's really feeling; fear. He fears that one day he'd lose all those he cares about and because of that will be more ready to fight, have different back up plans just in case, and will also have a problem sleeping from hearing the screaming of the humans he fails to save everyday, and the loss of his own brother. I'll also add a scene to explain why he really keeps his hair the length it is; because if he cut it short, all he'd see is his brother's face, thus he grows it. e'll also have anxiety attacks every now and then every time he remembers a painful past like his brother's death or his friends being at risk of death.

The way he'll look is gonna be different. His hair will be similar to Tony Stark's in this picture.
images

Reason for this is because he doesn't want to slip even once when fighting demons so he has to keep his hair moderately short for this. His clothes will consist of a red long coat obviously, but it will also be cut up near the end of it due to his stress making him rusty. His clothes will be a bit styled down due to his stressful nature now and him not worrying about looking cool but instead him focusing on his job.

He'll obviously have his guns and his sword and other weapons as well.

Trish will also be added in as Dante's personal co worker and helper to his issues.
Lady will be the one to help him pep his emotions up, while also slowly falling in love with him.
Nero will try and show him up, to which the two have their matches for who's better then the other.
Vergil will still be dead. But he'll show up in memory.
Patty acts as that sort of child for Dante to be a father figure. (Also Patty's mom and Dante will have a bit of a pairing going on.)

Other characters will come to but I don't have the time or patience to go into detail.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
It would be my own vision for the series that would be more in the spirit of DMC 1.

Taking place in a world where humans and demons co-exist together for better or for worse. The world ended up this way because a demonic war in hell made it's way in to the human world with Sparda leading some kind of resistance against Mundus and saving the world and all that good stuff with his legend set up and sh!t. Now the aftermath has the world shifting and trying to function with a new demon reality. So you see stuff from demonic underground fight clubs and bars to the need for bounty hunters. That's Dante's place in this world.

Now, I'm tired of the universe revolving around Sparda and his weird family tree so the only DMC character returning will just be Dante himself. The rest are going to be completely original characters. Dante still lost his mother and brother at 8 years old so Vergil and Eva are dead. He knows little about his father because he left when Dante was very young. This is speculation to whether Sparda is still even alive out there in this world somewhere. That's for later though because the plot would still not focus on Sparda or anything at all to do with Dante's heritage.

There's just going to be a new villain Dante is taking on to save the day with the help of a mysterious girl named Alana. The villain which I named Xavier will have ties to a demonic influenced mafia and dive in to different aspects of the big master plan that includes tackling drug smuggling operations to even Dante get targeted by hit men. Eventually Dante will actually wind up in prison where you'll have to go through this awesome break out sequence.

It's like our world but with a constant demonic influence but from a perspective of the worlds coexisting rather than being secretly controlled through propaganda by a passive aggressive fist. So imagine some kind of Martin Scorcese plot with a Devil May Cry twist on the whole deal.With a dash Underworld, Spawn,or Hellboy comics.

That's just basically my idea. I don't have the patience at the moment to go into very specific detail because the story is deeper than what I gave. This will have style and substance.

Oh, and the game will actually be funny. Dante will crack jokes that actually make sense and are legitimately funny. The comedy will have a brain and rely more on actual deliverance of true comedy than over the top cheesyness that is just hit and miss.

Gameplay wouldn't have styles but you will be given a vast variety with the combat system with even Dante being able to strip weapons from demons and using it himself or connecting it with his own weapons for devastating combos. There would probably be a small crafting system as well. When it comes to firearms you can modify them and upgrade them with attachments to add basically making up your own combos. I would have to think about specifics but, the level design can also be incorporated in to combat kinda like how in Prince of Persia you were able to spin around a pillar decapitating like 3 enemies. Cool stuff like that. Maybe there could also be a little over the shoulder precision gunplay to pinpoint where you make shots for extra style points. I have lots of ideas for it but, I wouldn't want it to be so convoluted it doesn't make sense you know.

Ehh, I could come back with more specifics but, whatever you know.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
the prequel would be set on the tony redgrave storyline

As far as mechanics, I'd lean toward mixing bayonetta's dual equip system with DMC. Basically you'd equip one "big" weapon (sword, spear, shield, whatever) and one "small" weapon (ebony and ivory, shotgun, punching greaves, etc). Attacking with a small weapon would cause dante to bash enemies even if it was a gun; basically you would have moves like gunstinger baked in, and be able to do cutscene dante's gun strikes and parries. Naturally you could still shoot with your guns. Attacks and combos would be dialed in by alternating attacks from large and small weapons, very similar to bayonetta (complete with cancels like dodge offset)

instead of having no styles, or a single style, or alternating from a list of active styles, players would equip multiple styles simultaneously that would have both passive and active effects. Styles would be categorized, and their category would determine where they could be "equipped".

Here's a random example.
For a defensive style, you choose between trickster, royalguard, or some others. If you pick trickster, your rolls become dashes and you gain short ranged teleports, while royalguard would do nothing to your roll button, but allow you to guard and counterattack enemies.

For offensive style, you pick from gunslinger, swordmaster, or mixed. Gunslinger would make guns more powerful and cause them to automatically fire while melee attacking, and swordmaster would open up new melee attacks as it normally does. Basic sword attacks would have more powerful animations, and enemies killed with a sword might have special death animations. Mixed style would cause dante to basically dual wield a melee weapon and a gun, striking with both no matter which attack he was using.

Then there would be utility styles, such as doppelganger, quicksilver, and so on. Finally you'd pick which kind of devil trigger you'd prefer, choosing from triggers like nero's offensive with added moves, explosive DT, distorted DT, etc.

Finally you would choose from a vanilla wow style talent tree of perks, only all of them would be purely cosmetic. Things like taunts, switching attack animations to more stylish ones, special enemy deaths/dismemberings (MGR style), causing your guns to shoot lightning, and other cool effects

TL;DR
building your character would be a lot more involved than simply choosing what weapon they have on hand at the moment. Character builds would be unique enough where you could make a dante that's a pure gunslinger that doesn't even carry melee weapons, a crazy sword ninja, a bare-fisted martial artist, or the classic jack of all trades dante

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
All of your ideas are great guys. Whatever floats your boats. Some of you want something new to the old DMC (which is understandable), while others, like me, want to make a better reboot (like with Tomb Raider; and I think Resident Evil needs to be rebooted).

As much as I want those blasted plotholes filled, I need to take a big break from them. Right now, the old plot is going in circles.

First off, if I'm asked to reboot DMC, I won't be like that prick Tameem. I'm gonna have to greatly improve his version to make it my version. I think I'll do a rebootception! :devil:
But, I may want to make a futuristic version of DMC. Just imagine Dante use futuristic weaponry, like a futuristic Ebony&Ivory, a futuristic version of the shotgun (I could imagine it as a combination of Coyote-A and Revenant in terms of design), etc.
So it's a world where technology and magic exists.

I do like DMC1 Dante the most for his balanced personality; yes, we needed that Dante back.
So in this note, for my version of DMC, Dante will still be in his classic look, but his lineage is like DmC Dante's and a different hairstyle like Tony Starks (like DragonMaster's) or DmC Dante's at the end of DmC. The term for a demon/angel hybrid like Dante is CambioNephilim - a portmanteau of Cambione and Nephilim.

And there is one thing that baffles me in the DMC franchise:
Why can't Dante fight humans who are greatly associated to demons? So this got me an idea for the human enemies Dante would face - a cult that worships demons. The government has labeled the cult as terrorists. So the CIA sent the vigilante Dante, who is in the custody of the government, with the assistance of a special operations task force,

And that is my futuristic take of DMC. It's a futuristic fantasy! :D
--
A jack-of-all-trades is basically Dante's trademark role, Kam. And that's who I am, really. I am good at a lot of things, yet I do not completely master it.
You're trying to make DMC more like an Action RPG, which IMO doesn't make a DMC game Devil May Cry at all. >.<

MigsRZXAStylish

Dude, Devil Arm upgrades can be like cybernetic add ons and sh!t. Fighting against demonic robots and stuff too. It can be a great freaking idea. I think I'm gonna totally sketch up some concepts just for funzies.

I was inspired from Ninja Gaiden to think of that. Humans (soldiers/police, enemy ninjas), mechs, and demons AKA fiends...

Frost

Demon of Icy Wind
All of you have great ideas! Here's mine.

First of all, I would go back to the original storyline, and to a time after the events of the first game. We've seen Dante's youth twice now, and I think that's enough. Instead I want to focus on his daily work as a renowned devil hunter, and explore his inner feelings towards humans, demons, his own past, and his purpose in life. He would not be the same arrogant and carefree devil hunter as before, but a more serious and rugged character who takes his job very seriously. Obviously he would still be cocky and demeaning to his enemies, but that's only to hide his constant fear that some day the demons may prevail and humanity may lose everything.

Trish works as Dante's partner, but both of them still walk their own paths and take on their own missions. They meet up at Devil May Cry to lay out their plans, hang out on lazy days, and decide who takes on which mission. They may work together if there is a particularly tough enemy to take down, but most of the time they enjoy their solitude.

Mundus is the main antagonist. He is still imprisoned, but has the ability to send other demons to do his bidding. They need to perform the ritual Sparda used to seal away the demon world two millenia ago. The last remaining gate to the demon world is located far away, in the northernmost city of Dante's home country. The people who live there are completely oblivious to the gate's existence, because it's high above in the mountains, in a place no human has visited before. The maiden who needs to be sacrificed also lives in this city. Mundus has three demon generals that Dante has to take down. One of them is Bolverk. I always liked this character, and I want to flesh him out more.

The areas consist of gothic architecture and some larger outdoor areas. There are many lush forests as well as dark castles and snowy mountain ranges to explore and battle demons in. The basic action is pretty similar to that of DMC3 and DMC4. Dante starts the game with Rebellion and Ebony & Ivory, but gets a new Devil Arm every time he defeats a boss. New guns are obtained from Trish and other supporting characters as the story progresses. Dante doesn't have different styles anymore, instead the game has more RPG elements and character building. Players can unlock new moves for Devil Arms just like before, but they are also able to more precisely define their own fighting style by deciding what attributes they want the weapons to have. This happens via different demonic stones, artifacts and relics that have many unique uses and powers. Players can also use two different Devil Arms at the same time, and try as many different combinations of effects as they like. The game also has slightly more difficult puzzle solving where Dante has to find and combine specific items or use the unique attributes of his Devil Arms in order to progress.

Phew. I almost feel like I should write fanfiction now. :blink:

MigsRZXAStylish

All of you have great ideas! Here's mine.

First of all, I would go back to the original storyline, and to a time after the events of the first game. We've seen Dante's youth twice now, and I think that's enough. Instead I want to focus on his daily work as a renowned devil hunter, and explore his inner feelings towards humans, demons, his own past, and his purpose in life. He would not be the same arrogant and carefree devil hunter as before, but a more serious and rugged character who takes his job very seriously. Obviously he would still be cocky and demeaning to his enemies, but that's only to hide his constant fear that some day the demons may prevail and humanity may lose everything.

Trish works as Dante's partner, but both of them still walk their own paths and take on their own missions. They meet up at Devil May Cry to lay out their plans, hang out on lazy days, and decide who takes on which mission. They may work together if there is a particularly tough enemy to take down, but most of the time they enjoy their solitude.

Mundus is the main antagonist. He is still imprisoned, but has the ability to send other demons to do his bidding. They need to perform the ritual Sparda used to seal away the demon world two millenia ago. The last remaining gate to the demon world is located far away, in the northernmost city of Dante's home country. The people who live there are completely oblivious to the gate's existence, because it's high above in the mountains, in a place no human has visited before. The maiden who needs to be sacrificed also lives in this city. Mundus has three demon generals that Dante has to take down. One of them is Bolverk. I always liked this character, and I want to flesh him out more.

The areas consist of gothic architecture and some larger outdoor areas. There are many lush forests as well as dark castles and snowy mountain ranges to explore and battle demons in. The basic action is pretty similar to that of DMC3 and DMC4. Dante starts the game with Rebellion and Ebony & Ivory, but gets a new Devil Arm every time he defeats a boss. New guns are obtained from Trish and other supporting characters as the story progresses. Dante doesn't have different styles anymore, instead the game has more RPG elements and character building. Players can unlock new moves for Devil Arms just like before, but they are also able to more precisely define their own fighting style by deciding what attributes they want the weapons to have. This happens via different demonic stones, artifacts and relics that have many unique uses and powers. Players can also use two different Devil Arms at the same time, and try as many different combinations of effects as they like. The game also has slightly more difficult puzzle solving where Dante has to find and combine specific items or use the unique attributes of his Devil Arms in order to progress.

Phew. I almost feel like I should write fanfiction now. :blink:

That is long. Good idea too. You should make not exactly a fanfic, but a game design document as well. The RPG elements (i.e. level up) is cool too. Onimusha Dawn of Dreams had that on developing the characters (except when in the Dark Realm to go through 100 levels of hell to get your Ultimate Weapon).
Should add something like this:
The more you use your Devil Arms, the more experience it gets.
But gaining EXP is a lot harder than Normal in harder difficulties.

This idea of yours is cool, all in all. :cool:

Anyway, on my ideas, what are your thoughts on Dante (or any ally of his; including Vergil because I think deep down he cares for Dante as a brother) needing to take on humans who sided with the demons? I ask this because the only human boss in the DMC series is Lady, even though not sided with the demons, in Mission 16 of DMC3. Also, I was inspired by playing the Ninja Gaiden games to think of this.

Frost

Demon of Icy Wind
Anyway, on my ideas, what are your thoughts on Dante (or any ally of his; including Vergil because I think deep down he cares for Dante as a brother) needing to take on humans who sided with the demons? I ask this because the only human boss in the DMC series is Lady, even though not sided with the demons, in Mission 16 of DMC3. Also, I was inspired by playing the Ninja Gaiden games to think of this.

I think that's a very interesting idea, and I could definitely see Dante fighting humans who worship demons. I remember how fans were shocked when Dante was shown killing humans (who were actually demons in disguise) in early DMC4 trailers, but I don't see why he would refrain from doing so when they are no better than demons. In fact, I think humans could cause even worse things than actual demons when trying to harness powers that don't belong to them.

Meg

*receives right to make DMC game*

*hands right to someone else*

:|

Failing that, I'd tie DMC4 and 2 together. I'd have Nero go on a journey to discover his origin. It would lead him to Hell, where he finds Dante, and they escape together. Basically, I would make a game that answered questions and set things up for an explosive next game. Perhaps the last game in the series.

MigsRZXAStylish

I think that's a very interesting idea, and I could definitely see Dante fighting humans who worship demons. I remember how fans were shocked when Dante was shown killing humans (who were actually demons in disguise) in early DMC4 trailers, but I don't see why he would refrain from doing so when they are no better than demons. In fact, I think humans could cause even worse things than actual demons when trying to harness powers that don't belong to them.

I underlined this part of what you said, Frost, because that makes sense. Humanity is more than what we know. Maybe somewhere out there in the world even humans worship demons (I somehow improvised Lady's quote to Dante which coined the Devil May Cry term). Speaking of Lady, her narration in the post-credits scene when Dante opened up Devil May Cry she knew that there are innocent demons like Sparda (I learned that I will never look at demons the same way again...) and evil humans like her father Arkham. Even Dante said so himself that humans are no different from demons in the anime (correct me if I'm wrong in this).
Seeing Dante kill humans who are actually demons in disguise in DMC4 also made me wonder if Dante can hunt down humans who worship demons. Yes, I definitely agree with you that I too can see Dante fight demon-associated humans. If Dante can hunt demons, then he should hunt humans associated to demons as well. So I think the fans would get over the shock of seeing Dante kill humans once they play DMC3 to its end.

P.S. I understand you well Frost for not liking DmC. Even though I liked DmC, it had its own faults. I can point out flaws on everything even in those I liked. My fav old DMC games are only DMC1 and DMC3.

*receives right to make DMC game*

*hands right to someone else*

:|

Failing that, I'd tie DMC4 and 2 together. I'd have Nero go on a journey to discover his origin. It would lead him to Hell, where he finds Dante, and they escape together. Basically, I would make a game that answered questions and set things up for an explosive next game. Perhaps the last game in the series.

Good point, Meg. Nero is still a walking plothole! >.<
For the gameplay mechanics, improve on his Devil Bringer. Have it more moves. Make it more player-dependent like DmC Dante's Ophion.
I'm thinking like this:
R1+O then Forward: Hell Bound
R1+O then Backward: Snatch
For some enemies, if you Snatch it, it may do something you may or may not like (like the Tyrant facing towards you instead of being pulled down).

Reactions: Meg

JessenReinhart

This is good, isn't it?
I'll make it a prequel with sparda. Its similar to MGS3, but unlike big boss, who was a villain that turns out to be a misunderstood hero, i'll make sparda a villain that worked alongside mundus. But because of some problems, he began to fight against mundus. The twist is that he never actually do it because of 'justice'. He did it out of revenge. i havent worked on the storyline just yet.

Top Bottom