• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Yamato is a No-Dachi

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
Everyone, while studying up on swords, I noticed that classic Yamato seems to be a No-Dachi instead of a katana. Notice that both the hilt and blade are quite a bit longer than the average katana. The curve of the blade is also more like a No-Dachi style than a katana's.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I still think it's classified as an "o-katana". It's a Japanese term for "longsword", and was almost never used in feudal times except while on horseback.

rocketvergil

Vergil's apprentice, the successor to yamato
No, nodachi has a much longer blade and more curvature, plus it also has a larger hilt. Yamato is a bigger version of the traditional katana. It was made longer so that it wouldnt look to ordinary when compared to rebellion.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I think so, too. The handle is enormous by traditional standards, even a No-Dachi would have an average width but Yamato is rather fat for a Japanese blade.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
appears to be an okatana to me. a nodachi is far too big.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Sephiroth's Masamune from FF7 is a No-dachi, it's a calvery sword, has a seven foot blade length and a two foot long handle, Yamato is an o-katana; or essentially a hand-and-a-half version of a Katana with longe rblade and a bit of extra length to the handle

Top Bottom