• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

X0 Deviant Art confusion

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I've been looking around Deviant Art lately looking at things called bases.
If you are familiar with DA you'll know what i am talking about, if you don't... Bases are Images of ppl/dolls that need clothing and hair and you basically turn them into your own work.)
Well i was looking and found a base of two guys fighting, only to realize that the pic this based was copied from was a picture of Dante and Vergil, that someone else had previously made. (I have this pic on my computer.)
If you use a base, you need to credit that person, but what if you use the original picture and then get accused of using that person's base?
Also why should you credit someone, when they copied their 'base' from another persons work in the first place?

Its not a rant or anything, its just confusion.
But, why should you credit someone for copying someone else's work?

Daring Dylan

This is all we got now.
That's why I only use original bases. Or bases that people get permission to use. Although, lately, I've been trying to learn how to draw myself so I don't have to use bases all that much anymore, but they're good practice. *cough* I probably didn't answer your question. >.<;; Sorry.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
Actually, that's a good idea. (Using original bases). I don't think I'm quite ready to make my own though. Thanks

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Well you don't know the full story so don't jump to conclusions. It could be that the pic you saw of Vergil and Dante fighting was actually drawn using the base you found, and no credit given to the base creator. That happens a lot on DA.

I've only used my own bases thus far. But then I got my bases from tracing the outlines for photographs of Dante and Vergil cosplayers. Those fans can strike really cool poses when they want. But I'm not going to credit them, since they probably won't even recognise the pose, AND it's not put up as a base to make use of in the first place.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
The Dante and Vergil thingy was just an example. I meant in general.
The bases submitted are 'copied' from an original picture (say Naruto) then they copy the pics to form their own bases, then you have to credit the person that made the base (who copied it from the original), when you wouldn't have to credit anyone if you found the original picture on the net yourself.
(That doesn't make sense does it?)

V

Oldschool DMC fan
To avoid any sort of confusion over the copying thing I now completely avoid DA for stock. Amazingly I have been pulled up on there once or twice for poses that a person claimed was 'theirs'. How can you copyright a human pose? We all have human bodies, nobody owns a particular pose. In fact, to completely dissociate myself from it I now get nearly all my poses from one place - me. Yup... that picture of Dante with the JD is me, as is the 'Vergil death'. I just modified the anatomy after to convert from mine to a 6ft medium build male.

But to answer the question VB, I would simply credit the image you found. You don't know where it came from before that, if someone has beef they can take it up with the owner of the base you used, right? I think they should be credited if they actually added something of their own to the image, such as, if someone made an oil painting of a DMC character that was taken originally from official artwork, since that's still their brushwork and their colour work, if not the original design. If someone's just copied a copy of a copy with no discernable difference, I'd just credit whatever I found, just to stop anyone complaining. ;)

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
:O That is so cool. It also explains how your Dante and Vergil looked 'real'. (Not sure if thats the word I'm looking for.)

Thanks Lexy, that made alot of sense :D

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Thanks! And np.

I do think DA is getting majorly complicated these days. When I joined up it was a straightforward place to post your art for free, and it was full of the furry.

Now it's llamas and emoticons and mods and people taking pictures of themselves on the kitchen floor.

I still enjoy DA. But there's a lot of drama on there. I avoid their forums like the plague.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
I know, lately there's been i huuuuuge influx of trolls.
I thought art was a form of expression, but these trolls just don't like anything that gets posted. The worst thing is, they are pround of being trolls.

One thing i don't get is the whole Llama thing,

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
Can I ask a random question.......

Does anyone know if it's possible to change your username on DA?

I have a really old account (from 2003) and I was gonna cleean it up, so I could keep up to date with people on here - it's realllllly old and needs a good clean up! I hate my DA username and want to change it? The site has changed lots since I used it, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Ebz

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
To answer your question Eb

(This is from DA's FAQ)

Can I change my deviantART username?

No. Usernames can not be changed at all, ever, under any circumstances - dashes can not be added, lowercase cannot be made uppercase, etc.
However, you may choose to create a new account.

Note: If you do make a new account, you will have to transfer all information yourself, as we cannot do this for you. Also, we cannot transfer your statistics (pageviews, account age and the like) to the new account.

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
Pah! I knew there was a reason I left DA so long ago!

My username and friends on there are linked to an ex boyfriend and people I'd rather not bother with again.

I'm not making a new account, just out of principle - DA sucks! >_<

Also Thanks Veeb! :D

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Ebony;299689 said:
Pah! I knew there was a reason I left DA so long ago!

My username and friends on there are linked to an ex boyfriend and people I'd rather not bother with again.

I'm not making a new account, just out of principle - DA sucks! >_<

Also Thanks Veeb! :D

I had an account there years ago... it was full of my Metal Gear fanart, which I left because I was getting constant requests to draw fanarts and my interest in drawing Metal Gear kinda fizzled out. Didn't think I would start up another, but I did... two more, one for sculptures and the other for DMC fanarts, as my interest in DMC has never got any less.

It's probably best to keep professional and fanart work separate, or different fandoms separate, I guess. It's good that you CAN on there, at least.

Top Bottom