• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Writer's Rants

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Angel;254528 said:
Ugh - just gone back over an old story I started about 4 years ago and I have no idea how to even begin to end it without being cliched, crappy and anticlimactic. I hate endings...

I hear that, I have about 8 40 page+ long stories sitting unfinished on the hard drive of my desktop, never finished because I can never work out how to end it without it sounding clichéd, contrived and utterly crap, it's a shame, because there's a lot of my work that I'm quite proud of, just never been able to finish.

Also on another note, why do I seem to NEVER have the time or patience to get round to finishing a story? Or an RP? College is over now and yet I still don't want to do a damn thing, I don't wanna RP, I don't wanna write a story, I can't feel any of the creative goodness that I used to get.
I'm starting to get worried that I'm falling into a depressive rut again, I went through the same sort of thing, where I couldn't write anything out of lack of motivation, and that extended into my everyday life too.

I just really can't seem to find a reason to start anything these days.

Nicodemus Zamoran

The Hellslayer Knight
Angelo Credo;254538 said:
Also on another note, why do I seem to NEVER have the time or patience to get round to finishing a story? Or an RP? College is over now and yet I still don't want to do a damn thing, I don't wanna RP, I don't wanna write a story, I can't feel any of the creative goodness that I used to get.
I'm starting to get worried that I'm falling into a depressive rut again, I went through the same sort of thing, where I couldn't write anything out of lack of motivation, and that extended into my everyday life too.

I just really can't seem to find a reason to start anything these days.

I go through that kind of thing constantly. What I do is try my best to keep my mind occupied so I don't think of the depressing matters. Constantly switch to a new task, or multi task, which really keeps the mind active enough to keep away from depression.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I guess I stopped writing because my style is convoluted, not too user-friendly. Stuff written in scripts or parodies or slash always seems to get the attention, as opposed to me trying to exercise my vocabulary in Poe-like style, haha.

Also, I'm horribly self-critical. I can read something over a few weeks after writing it and its cringeworthy to me. So hardly any of it has ever survived to this point.

Daring Dylan

This is all we got now.
You know what I hate? I hate how all of my stuff is depressing as all hell. It seems my depression makes it ways into my stories. And I write to get AWAY from my depression, so I can't get away from it. I tried writing a dark humor story, it was just dark. :/

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Incomplete Dani;254668 said:
You know what I hate? I hate how all of my stuff is depressing as all hell. It seems my depression makes it ways into my stories. And I write to get AWAY from my depression, so I can't get away from it. I tried writing a dark humor story, it was just dark. :/

Funny that, a similar thing happened with something I wrote, I was writing up a funny, flamboyant, well dressed bisexual man going through various difficulties in life, I wanted it to be a comedic outlook on how hard life can be, in the end I wrote about how he was constantly teased, bullied and picked on by his friends, disowned by his family and ended up killing himself. ;_;

I really liked Lucien, too. ._.

Daring Dylan

This is all we got now.
Angelo Credo;254680 said:
Funny that, a similar thing happened with something I wrote, I was writing up a funny, flamboyant, well dressed bisexual man going through various difficulties in life, I wanted it to be a comedic outlook on how hard life can be, in the end I wrote about how he was constantly teased, bullied and picked on by his friends, disowned by his family and ended up killing himself. ;_;

I really liked Lucien, too. ._.

Something kind of like that happened to me when I was writing Derek's character. He was SUPPOSED to be how you described Lucien, but fully gay. He doesn't kill himself, though. He's suicidal, depressed, and a super pessimist. ;_;

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Incomplete Dani;254689 said:
Something kind of like that happened to me when I was writing Derek's character. He was SUPPOSED to be how you described Lucien, but fully gay. He doesn't kill himself, though. He's suicidal, depressed, and a super pessimist. ;_;

Things never seem to turn out as planned do they? I write for the same reasons you do, to get AWAY from being depressed, yet it seems to work its way in there somehow, and then I look back at what I wrote and thing "What the hell? This isn't what I wanted."

I really never intended to kill the character off, it just kinda happened. ;_;
I might bring him back though and try again.

Top Bottom