• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

With Love From Hell

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
With Love From Hell (M-rated)

Warnings!
-M stands for mature! Which means if you're under 17, the content of this fic is not suitable reading material for you. Sorry :p
-Blood.
-Graphic content
-Set a long time after DMC4 (Dante's about...44...I'll need to go check my notes again...>_< la gasp! I have NOTES for a fanfiction? ISH CRAZINESS I TELL YA!)

Muses:
Hero by Skillet.
Remember the Name by Fort Minor.

Writing in-canon is excruciatingly difficult. I still haven't got Trish right because I've never actually written her before. And COME ON PEOPLE! 58 views and ONE comment?! (on that, thanks for taking the effort and time to review Marisa ^_^) I know my maths are bad but COME ON! I know it's bad, but I already said it will be revised, and I'll say it again, it's going to be revised again and again and again until I'm satisfied that everything is perfect (and I'm not easily satisfied)

So, maybe this will be an incentive for everyone to give me feedback, maybe not, but PLEASE! You're all DMC fanatics, if you weren't you wouldn't be reading DMC fanfiction, and no one knows the details quite as well as the hardcore fans. I'm a newb to DMC, only been writing ff for the fandom for barely a year, so if you see anything amiss or out of place PLEASE point it out to me! Example: Force Edge - Dante last had it, now Sparda suddenly has it? HOW DID THAT HAPPEN? Well, for one, miss Chloe_Ryder had no idea that Dante had the FE at the end of DMC4. And how did Vergil come to obtain Yamato?! WTF? I'm not asking for anyone to give me answers, because I have them, but I do want you to nitpick through things that don't make sense, from a fan view and from a readers perspective.

Please. I'm begging for concrit here. PLEASE!
BTW, I've moved the chapter to a new post. Word counts. It hassles!

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Thanks Marisa!
I'm shifting things around in the thread, so can everyone please read my first post again?

That and if it gets too bad, can one of the mods just give me fair warning? I've put down that it's meant for the mature readers but I don't know if that will suffice.

Anyway. Second draft!

It was far too early to be awake on a sleepy Sunday morning. The stars were still high and bright in the onyx dome of night. Dante sat behind his desk and stared out the tall windows of his office. He was sure it had been a scream that had woken him before. The scream of a woman, or a child...or maybe it'd been both?

Regardless, he couldn't fall back asleep. The scream was still echoing through his memory, stirring a strange jumble of emotion within him. The pain from the past was haloed in a foreboding sensation, like an inaudible magic siren sent straight from the pits of hell to alert him of something big coming his way. Something evil. Something powerful. Something that mattered.

Trish had been feeling the same thing since the night before. She'd answered a call for him, and tactfully turned down the person when they offered no password – and afterward, before she'd left him alone for the night, Trish had taken him aside with turmoil in her eyes.

"I don't think I should have denied that customer our service," she'd said tightly.

"Well if they didn't have the password then it really isn't our problem," Dante had tried to set her at ease. "I told you if the job matters, I'll take it, and if they don't have the password then it isn't a priority."

"It does matter, Dante," Trish had said quietly, and shrugged at him. "It was wrong of me to hang up on him."

Now, hours later, Dante kept watching his antique phone, waiting for the familiar rattle to echo through the silence. The instinctual feeling that his presence was needed somewhere was always associated with a phone call. Unless they were going to come busting through his door or doing somersaults through his window.

The fan above him squealed in slow rhythm.

The leaves of the potted palms swayed and rubbed against each other.

A cat yowled in the alley next to his office.

The chair beneath him groaned loudly as he restlessly shifted his booted feet from the desk top to the floor.

He leaned back and impatiently rubbed his hands across the rough stubble on his cheeks. He turned to look at the window again, and let out a long-suffering sigh. The air was stifling. Fickle frustration and fear coiled itself around him. Somehow he knew he was too late. For what, or why, Dante wasn't sure. He thought of phoning Trish and asking her more about what the customer had said, but he wasn't certain it would aid him in any way. It had been the only phone call they'd gotten in a week. Dante rolled his shoulders in an attempt to ease his tense muscles. They shouldn't have let this one slip by them.

Something bad had happened – could possibly be happening this very moment – and he was sitting here eating air and counting minutes.

The atmosphere was as suffocating as his thoughts. Dante rose from his chair and headed for the door, his heart beating too fast and too hard against his chest. Fresh air. He just needed to catch his breath and take a moment.

The crisp, light breeze iced his skin and played through his blonde hair when he stepped outside. He drew a deep breath and recognized the sharp scent of demon blood immediately. He followed his senses to the narrow alley beside the building, and scanned the ominous shadows with cold accuracy. He expected to find a wounded demon but there was no movement. He edged deeper into the alley and stopped dead when a sudden gust of fierce wind bellowed past him. He caught the unmistakable but faint odour of human blood a second before a gurgling exhale emanated from between a load of black garbage bags to his right.

Dante stepped closer quickly and stared down at the sight in horror. In his mind he was paralyzed, unable to process what he was seeing, but his body took charge and acted swiftly. He scooped the mutilated figure into his arms like it weighed next to none. A thin, jerking arm reached up and a small bloody hand pressed against his cheek as Dante strode back into his office. He looked down at the round face of the child as he gently eased him onto the couch.

"It's okay, kid, look I'll get you help," Dante said in a strange, faint and quivering voice.

Angry scarlet blood ruthlessly gushed forth from the wide and deep overlapping slashes that coated the boy from head to torso. It ran down the rich leather of the couch and streamed to the floor below in a waterfall of sickening red. He was going to bleed to death – Dante could see it clear in the pale blue eyes wildly staring through him. There was little life left in those oddly familiar eyes.

Dante's head was spinning – with the thin layers of pink fat and the stark white of shattered bone protruding from the gaping wounds the kid looked like he'd been mauled by a tiger – but it was the sheet white face of the child that made him lightheaded with recognition.

Dante darted across the room for his car keys and was back beside the boy in a second flat. He'd shifted his one arm beneath the blood matted ice blonde hair when the boy weakly grabbed the collar of his coat with shaking fingers.

"Mother..." The boy wheezed out in a voice strained with so much pain it made Dante wince.

"Don't speak, just try to keep still and keep breathing, alright?" Dante said, strength returning to his own voice.

The child tugged at his collar before his hand fell limply back onto his chest. "No...Mother... save her..." there was a drawl in his voice, one Dante couldn't mistake no matter how much denial tried to beat him into submission, and it overwhelmed him. Dante went down on one knee, fighting against the childish notion to curl into a ball and weep.

"If I don't save you now, I won't be able to save you at all," Dante said firmly as something inside of him began to crumble.

"Mom... " The boy broke off on a choke. Dante had to turn him onto his side to cough up blood and clear his airway.

Part of Dante's mind was fighting against the moment. Was this a nightmare? It would explain why he was presented the chance to save his mother or brother, how he'd come to have control of the situation, why this was even possible. He must have gone overboard with the beer, but then he couldn't remember having anything to drink before bed. It couldn't be real – Vergil wasn't a little kid, and his mother had died over twenty years ago.

Yet the boy before him looked back at him with Vergil's eyes, was pleading with him in Vergil's voice. The hand on his chest moved and Dante recoiled onto his haunches when the boy brought forth an identical amulet to the one Dante wore beneath his own shirt.

"No...no, no..." Dante breathed, cupping his hands over the boy's hand.

"Home... he's going to take her... Opal Avenue... hurry..." His breathing was becoming erratic and shallow, his voice a raspy hiss.

"If I leave you, you'll die," Dante said, gripping the boy's hand tighter.

There was a slight jerk, and the amulet came lose. The child pushed it into Dante's hands with a final, whispered, "Hurry."

"Just hang on," Dante said roughly, slipping the amulet into his pocket before sliding his hands beneath the boy and carefully picking him up into his arms. He rose to his feet in one fluent move and managed a step toward the door before the child's body suddenly arched and pulled taut in his arms.

"No," Dante choked the word out in the flare of terrifying realization that it was too late. He cradled the boy against his chest, and his eyes burned when the child drew a breath and went still and limp in his grasp.

Dante held him a moment longer, tight, before laying him out on the couch with great care. He couldn't tear his gaze from the youthful features. He couldn't let the tears stinging his eyes blind him and distract him. Not now, not yet, not when there might still be hope for someone else.

Dante had Ebony and Ivory at his sides and Rebellion at his back in a heartbeat. He spared a second to glance at the kid one last time before he leapt out into the night and took off in his red sports car. He knew where Opal Avenue was – on the other side of town, where the rich folk lived in their five-star luxury homes. He parked at the end of the street and walked past the heavily gated, manicured green lawns and the silent double story villas.

It wasn't hard to track down his destination. A bloody trail led him to the unlocked door of a villa, and Dante briefly puzzled how the child had managed to cross town and get to his office alive before he slowly shouldered the door open. He dragged his mind away from painful thoughts of the boy to focus on his present location. The front parlour was dark, the house silent. He took a moment to discern his surroundings and stiffened when he saw movement at the top of the stairs. A shadow was crawling its way down to him, slowly, haltingly.

Dante took out one of his guns and stepped forward, tilting his head to the side as his eyes struggled to distinguish what it was. The shadow stopped suddenly at the loud metal sound of a bullet sliding home, ready to be unloaded.

"No!" The shadow shrieked in a woman's voice – and with a jolt Dante recognized it as the scream that had woken him. "You shouldn't have come... run! You have to run!"

The note of terror was as genuine and identical as the one that had been in his mother's voice. Dante crossed the foyer and crouched down before the woman the same instant obscene hisses and growls rocked through the house.

Bullets rained down on the shifting and slithering creatures lurking in the dark, accompanied by the defeated howls of his opponents. A black pit had appeared in the middle of the foyer and spurted out red-hot fire. It lit the place up like a Christmas tree and Dante took out several more deformed, leaping demons with a few accurately planted bullets. All the while, he hadn't moved an inch from his position. He didn't trust to leave the woman alone for a second. These were all small fries – the leader of the pack was around here somewhere, waiting for Dante to lower his defences.

The fire spread across the floor and up the walls, consuming every bit of plaster and ceiling with searing orange flames. There was no way they could get to the door, they had to back up. Even as Dante turned to the woman to tell her to move, he knew it was a trap. They were being forced upstairs, and they had no choice but to play along.

Eyes like honey onyx stared back at him from a pale, bloody face. She was shaking her head at him, long raven black hair swaying in the heat of the flames. "You must leave. This isn't your fight!"

Dante gritted his teeth and grabbed her by the arm before practically dragging her behind him. He took the stairs two at a time, and she stumbled to keep up with him. Dante headed for the window at the end of the broad hallway, shattering the glass with a couple of bullets before pulling the slight woman up beside him.

He gauged the distance from the window to the grass below before looking at her. "We're going to jump. This might hurt."

"Where is he? I sent him to you, Dante," the woman hissed back at him.

Dante hesitated. "The kid?"

"He made it to you safely?" The woman asked, her face lighting up fleetingly. "No, no, that's not who I sent..."

Dante readjusted his grip on her arm with a grim scowl that silenced her. He firmly planted one foot on the window sill, and rammed his head painfully into glass. He stepped back, startled, rubbing his head with his free hand and staring at the glass in bewilderment.

"I thought I just cleared the way," Dante grumbled, confused, reaching out to touch the smooth hard surface with his fingertips.

"No!" The woman whimpered suddenly, wrenching out of his firm grasp and flattening herself against the wall. "You shouldn't have come alone, Dante."

Dante glanced at her angrily. She looked pathetic and out of her mind in terror – no different than any other human would in these circumstances. He opened his mouth to berate her, but never got a word out.

"Dante."

The voice turned Dante's blood to ice. His temper folded up and collapsed in on itself. He hadn't heard that voice in a very long time but it was one he could never forget or mistake. Dante turned slowly, and held his head high to stare back at the entity across from him.

Fierce blue eyes glared back at him with the emotional detachment of a demon. The man was a near replica of himself – tall, broad shouldered, strongly built, flaxen hair smoothed back to reveal the undeniable features of his father. He was partially in his devil form from the neck down, and wielded the long, sharp blade of Force Edge in his hand.

"I didn't think you'd want to get involved," Sparda continued, slowly pacing the top of the staircase, his eyes locked on Dante's, "But now that you are here, I suppose you'd want to prove your skill."

Dante stared back at him for a long moment as the reality crashed down on him. Any doubts he'd had that this was some kind of alcohol induced dream was obliterated by the sheer power permeating from the man before him. It rolled through the smoke tainted air with a scorching heat all of its own, encompassing everything around them with raw pressure. It was a daunting, oppressive phenomena he remembered well from his early childhood.

He lowered his gaze to the floor, unwilling to meet the challenge they posed, and pursed his lips hard. There was a tremor beneath his feet. He scowled. Dante had to face whack-jobs trying to follow in Sparda's footsteps nearly all his life; he'd fought them all and beaten them all, including his own brother. None had possessed the true power of Sparda. None had the face and the voice and the body standing before him now. None had ever taken the time to challenge Dante in a civilized manner, and none had ever given him the opportunity to opt out.

Dante took a slight step back and straightened to his full height, noting that he had at least a couple of inches on his father. His glare was met with a familiar half-smile from Sparda. Dante reached over and pulled the woman closer to him, and ****ed his head to the side.

"What do you want with the lady?" Dante finally responded.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Sparda ceased his pacing and his smile dropped from his face. "Questions? Well," Sparda drawled, and gave a slight shake of his head. "That's a change from your impulsive nature. I'm surprised you haven't taken a shot at me yet."

Dante whipped Rebellion off his back and rested the tip on the floor between them when Sparda advanced a step forward. "Don't give me a reason to. Did you hurt her boy?"

"What?" The woman gasped beside him. Dante chanced a quick look at her, and felt his heart sink when she read his expression. Her hands flew to her chest and she backed away from him, fear swimming in the golden pits of her eyes as she repeated in an unstable voice, "What?"

"Not I, per say. My pets are to blame. They... tend to become overwhelmed when they're excited," Sparda answered readily, assessing Rebellion for a moment before meeting Dante's gaze evenly. "Your stance is faulty."

Dante's fingers tightened around the hilt of his sword. "Really?" He growled back with narrowed his eyes. "You're going to tell me just how bad my posture is right now. Really?"

Sparda slowly lifted Rebellion's tip off the floor with the blade of Force Edge until Dante had no choice but to pull back and lift his sword over his shoulder.

"That posture betrays poor swordsmanship, Dante."

"That's the idea," Dante fired back.

Sparda let out a deep breath and slowly sauntered back toward the staircase. "Dante, Dante," he murmured, "I never could quite grasp your style."

"I strategize on the go," Dante returned icily.

"No, you improvise in the moment," Sparda countered and turned toward him when he reached the top step. "There is a vast difference, Dante."

The fire had started to climb up toward the second floor, bringing with it clouds of thick black smoke. Dante had to fight to keep from drawing it into his lungs. The woman wasn't doing so well either – he heard her half-coughing, half-choking on the air.

"Where the hell did you come from?" Dante asked angrily, cautiously closing the distance between him and his father.

Sparda's scowling features smoothed into a cool, heartless grin. Dante startled when the woman suddenly came flying past him, propelled by an invisible force. Sparda caught her by the hair and held her aside like a ragdoll. Tears were streaming down her face, and she offered no resistance to the rough handling.

"Let her go or I –" Dante streaked forward.

The tip of Force Edge greeting his throat caught him in his tracks.

"Will you fight me for her, Dante? You'll take her from me by no other means," Sparda said frostily, staring back at him with the fury of the Underworld in his gaze.

Dante's eyes darted from his face to the woman's terrified tears indecisively.

"Please... you don't know what's going on... stay away..." The woman gasped between sobs.

"Wise words," Sparda said and fixed Dante with a cool, indifferent look, "I would heed them well if I were you."

Dante lingered for a drawn out moment, considering his options. The challenge didn't waver from Sparda's gaze and he stood motionless, waiting for Dante's response. He could take him on – the need for justice was burning hotter through him right that moment than the fire crackling around them. He could easily sidestep the sword at his throat, trickster back when Sparda swings at him, and streak forward to unleash a barrage of hits with Rebellion while Sparda is captured in the momentum of his swinging sword. He could flip into the air and decorate him with a wave of bullets before Sparda recovers to counter it. It wouldn't kill him, but it'd give Dante the chance to snatch the woman out of his harm's way and make a run for it.

Sparda's eyes flashed a warning at him, and Dante fought against the impulse to carry out his thoughts. Logically he knew he didn't stand a chance. This was the same man that had taught him the basics of warfare as a kid and drilled into him the single key to winning a fight.

Know your opponent.

Dante yielded to Sparda's threat and reluctantly moved away from the edge of the sword that had penetrated the soft skin beneath his chin. Sparda descended the stairs the same instant Dante backed off, and the fiery flames flared high from the ground floor to shield the figures from his view. The next second they were both gone and Dante was left alone in the burning house.

This time when he smashed the window he had no trouble getting out of the house. He staggered down the street and passed his car, heading toward his office, nauseated and overwhelmed with raw fury and frustration. He condemned himself every step of the way for being incapable of beating Sparda, even though he'd known it was an unimaginable feat either way. It was clever not to engage him in battle.
Dante knew he would be no match for the impossible expertise and abilities of Sparda himself. He wouldn't be walking home right now if he'd tried to fight. He'd be dead. Good and well and thoroughly dead.

Though he was alive, he might as well have died on the inside. Dante knew what would meet him at the office. Dante had to shake himself and talk himself in going into the office when he reached the building.

He thought the boy would still be exactly where he'd left him, that he would go over to the phone and call...someone, anyone who would come to save him from crumbling into pieces... and that he would have his moment to weep for the life that had slipped through his fingers.

What he hadn't expected was to see his mirror image in black vest and trousers, half-kneeling, half-sitting on the blood stained floor beside the couch, cradling the limp and mutilated small body to his chest.

Dante couldn't move, couldn't breathe for what felt like an eternity. His brother was soundlessly weeping, his strong shoulders heaving and trembling as he hovered protectively over the body. His own heart clenched painfully as the tears he'd been holding back were shed for him. It dwindled on him only then who the woman had meant she'd sent to him. It took him a long time before he could find his voice.

"She's gone," Dante said.

Vergil went still at his words. Dante swallowed hard. His brother lifted his head and stared back at him with bloodshot eyes. The blue irises were deeper and bluer and piercing and, Dante acknowledged, far more human than the pair that had addressed him in the flame engulfed house.

"She lied to me. She said Anthony would be here," Vergil said, and pressed the child tighter against his chest possessively, "She told me she'd be here."

"I couldn't stop him," Dante said.

"Did you not have the amulet with you?" Vergil responded gruffly.

"Yeah, I did," Dante said and lowered his gaze to the floor when Vergil carefully laid the child on the couch.

"Why did you not follow him?" Vergil asked tersely.

"I'm going to assume that's a rhetorical question," Dante said, scratching the back of his head, and added in a quiet tone, "How did the kid get hold of the amulet?"

"I gave it to him for his eighth birthday," Vergil spoke slowly, rising to his feet. Dante looked up at the edge in his brother's voice.

Their eyes locked across the room.

"The combined amulet allows you access to the demon realm when a portal to it is opened," Vergil said in a voice writhing with ugliness, and he glared at Dante with wide, furious eyes, "I know you can't defeat him but why did you not follow him?"

Dante took a breath, and regretfully said, "He told me not to."

"You fool!" Vergil roared.

Dante had Rebellion in hand and was blocking Vergil's swipe before he had the chance to blink. He moved with his brother, deflecting every hit, not taking any of his own although the opportunities his distraught sibling presented were plenty. Dante guided Yamato's blade in a rounded movement until Vergil had no choice but to readjust his grip. Dante kicked the sword from his brother's hand in that moment and dropped his own sword loudly on the floor as he swiftly streaked forward, rounded Vergil and caught him in a safe lock hold from behind.

"What did you expect me to do, huh?" Dante growled angrily in his ear. "Follow him? Fight him? Kill him? Save her?"

"You could have tried!"

"Idiot," Dante retorted, exerting pressure on Vergil's back muscles until he collapsed to his knees. "I couldn't have taken him on even if I gave it my best try. You know this."

"Release me," Vergil said, out of breath as he struggled in the hold. "I must go after them. I have to save her."

"I'll let you go on one condition," Dante said, beginning to struggle to keep the strength of his hold against his brother's violent tousling.

"I won't kill you," Vergil said.

"Uh," Dante said with a small smirk and a tilt of his head, "Yeah, not exactly what I was thinking, but that'll be good, too. I'll let you go but I'm coming with you."

"Come with me?" Vergil repeated.

"You stand a better chance against him with me to back you up," Dante said, and let go of his brother with a great, tired breath. "And it increases the likelihood that you'll come out of it alive."

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
interesting story if a little confusing. i have just one minor comment. you described Dante's hair as blonde. the word blonde is most often used to describe gold colored hair. Dante's hair is and has always been described as silver. it's not that big a deal but you asked for constructive criticism and that's the best i can come up with.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I'm guilty of reading without comment - sorry, I just enjoy reading the fics people post. I actually don't like, nor play, DMC so in terms of what is canon or whatever else, I can't actually comment.

The only thing that sticks out is when you have Vergil described as speaking gruffly and then tersely before switching to slowly. Personally, I would omit one of the first two - pick the word which best describes his speaking style for that part of the dialogue. I don't know how to explain it properly, it just looks a bit...busy? Does that make sense? Sorry if that's the wrong thing to say - I can't write for toffee, so I guess it doesn't count anyway :lol:

I like it though :)

Vergil's Greed

He was sure it had been a scream that had woken him before. The scream of a woman, or a child...or maybe it'd been both?
You and your teasing, you know you do it in your writing as well, don't you? How about some filler-inner? Was the scream real or in his waking subconscious?

I saw nothing wrong with the way you wrote Trish but since you're uptight about it... Get her right!

The leaves of the potted palms swayed and rubbed against each other
The leaves of the potted palms rustled.

It had been the only phone call they'd gotten in a week.
And she turned it away? That's what you get for letting a woman take charge. Revise: Business was slow as of late.

his heart beating too fast and too hard against his chest
Repetition! Kill it! Kill it DEAD I SAY!

The crisp, light breeze iced his skin and played through his blonde hair when he stepped outside
Backing up darkslayer13 on this one. Platinum blonde, white-blonde, ice-blonde, silvery blonde, pale blonde, hair void of colour...etc.

He edged deeper into the alley and stopped dead when a sudden gust of fierce wind bellowed past him.
Nice touch, VERY, but again, repetition must die. He's checking the alley - got it the first time, no need to remind us where we are.
He edged deeper into the darkness and stopped dead when a sudden gust of fierce wind bellowed his coat up behind him.

Dante said in a strange, faint and quivering voice.
Thank you for not putting down 'Dante said in a voice that didn't sound like him'. I might have had to punch you if you did. Good on you for breaking away from cliché.

Angry scarlet blood ruthlessly gushed forth from the wide and deep overlapping slashes that coated the boy from head to torso.
Gushed forth from his wounds, (merge next sentence). You describe wide and deep later, no need to mention it here.

He was going to bleed to death – Dante could see it clear in the pale blue eyes wildly staring through him.
LOL, so he couldn't see it in all the blood spurting about then? Duh!
Dante could see it clear in the pale blue eyes wildly staring through him. There was little life left in those oddly familiar eyes.
Merge 'em. Just do it.

Dante's head was spinning – with the thin layers of pink fat and the stark white of shattered bone protruding from the gaping wounds the kid looked like he'd been mauled by a tiger – but it was the sheet white face of the child that made him lightheaded with recognition.
REVISE! *headdesk*

Dante darted across the room for his car keys and was back beside the boy in a second flat
Where's he taking him, the emergency depot at The National Demon Hospital?

Voice, voice, voice. You're addicted to it here, did you notice?

there was a drawl in his voice, one Dante couldn't mistake no matter how much denial tried to beat him into submission, and it overwhelmed him
The drawl overwhelmed him? Must've been one hell of a drawl. Revise please.

Part of Dante's mind was fighting against the moment. Was this a nightmare? It would explain why he was presented the chance to save his mother or brother, how he'd come to have control of the situation, why this was even possible. He must have gone overboard with the beer, but then he couldn't remember having anything to drink before bed.
Offended! He's quicker on the uptake than you give him credit for. I know you share the same view of him as I do or I would have let this one slide. Keep him in character.

The hand on his chest moved and Dante recoiled onto his haunches when the boy brought forth an identical amulet to the one Dante wore beneath his own shirt.
Based on the feedback you got from NightCompanion, I'd strongly urge you to consider her suggestion about changing how this scene plays off. More info to clear up confusion can also be added in the dialogue that ensues. Anthony's a strong little ****er, push him to his limits. And I'm not suggesting this, I'm telling you to do it.

Will continue nitpicking in the next post because I hate word count limits.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
^ That's not really reviewing, it's more like... Nit-picking. I dislike it when people try to find all the mistakes and don't point out anything good, or the bad things overwhelm the good things in a review.

Now Chloe, I'm not gonna nit-pick. It is solid overall, and I thought it was an excellent fic. If there are any real mistakes, I wasn't able to find them. Maybe I'm crap at reviewing, but that's just how I saw it.

Vergil's Greed

There was a slight jerk, and the amulet came lose. The child pushed it into Dante's hands with a final, whispered, "Hurry
Like I said, he's a strong little one. If he has the strength to yank the amulet from his own neck and the energy to teleport all the way across town to Devil May Cry, and if he still has the clarity of mind to consciously and purposely give the amulet to Dante, he should be capable of giving the poor bloke a bit more info than his vague melodramatic pleas.

He rose to his feet in one fluent move and managed a step toward the door before the child's body suddenly arched and pulled taut in his arms.

"No," Dante choked the word out in the flare of terrifying realization that it was too late. He cradled the boy against his chest, and his eyes burned when the child drew a breath and went still and limp in his grasp.
Good detail.

He couldn't let the tears stinging his eyes blind him and distract him.
allow/shed...you know what I mean...revise it.

Dante briefly puzzled how the child had managed to cross town and get to his office alive before he slowly shouldered the door open
add: in his condition... break it up. ...get to his office alive in his condition. He slowly, I would use cautiously as it's more apt. Eh...anyway, it's Vergil's kid, how the hell does he think he got there, by bus?

"No!" The shadow shrieked in a woman's voice – and with a jolt Dante recognized it as the scream that had woken him. "You shouldn't have come... run! You have to run!"
That made me cry. Why are you taking her OOC? Come on, you're stilting her character.

"You must leave. This isn't your fight!"
Contradiction, you have it nearly as bad as Capcom. This IS his fight too.

"We're going to jump. This might hurt."
I've said it before but I will say it again. I like your mature Dante way more than your hormonal teenage Dante.

"Where is he? I sent him to you, Dante," the woman hissed back at him.
She HISSED at him? OOC.

"He made it to you safely?" The woman asked, her face lighting up fleetingly. "No, no, that's not who I sent..."
Revise.

Enough with 'the woman', stop being selfish with your intentional vagueness! Introduce her properly. This is really sloppy C.

and wielded the long, sharp blade of Force Edge in his hand.
Eh, he's in battle mode? Who's chasing him? Or who's he racing against? WANT ANSWERS!

You know half the stuff would make perfect sense if you'd post Family Legacy. It would save you needing to do all this tweaking as well. I still don't get what possessed you to do a spin off and post the spin off but not the original. Who does that kind of thing, seriously?

I suppose you'd want to prove your skill."
you will want.

It was a daunting, oppressive phenomena he remembered well from his early childhood.
Correction: not even Dante has seen Sparda in his full glory. His power was sealed away, remember?

He lowered his gaze to the floor, unwilling to meet the challenge they posed,
They - scrap it. The challenge posed to him.

There was a tremor beneath his feet.
I'm onto you - follow through with the thought. You leave too many details idling.

None had possessed the true power of Sparda. None had the face and the voice and the body standing before him now. None had ever taken the time to challenge Dante in a civilized manner, and none had ever given him the opportunity to opt out.
Nonenonenonenone....

"What?" The woman gasped beside him. Dante chanced a quick look at her, and felt his heart sink when she read his expression. Her hands flew to her chest and she backed away from him, fear swimming in the golden pits of her eyes as she repeated in an unstable voice, "What?"
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... I'm not going to REPEAT MYSELF OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER! You suck yourself into this rut time and again. Do you want me to come train you to avoid repetition?

Not I, per say. My pets are to blame. They... tend to become overwhelmed when they're excited," Sparda answered readily, assessing Rebellion for a moment before meeting Dante's gaze evenly. "Your stance is faulty."
Not the time for sarcasm, that and I doubt anyone will catch on that Sparda is being sarcastic as they don't have a clear feel for your version of him yet. It gives the wrong impression as well. Well done on his remark.

Sparda caught her by the hair and held her aside like a ragdoll. Tears were streaming down her face, and she offered no resistance to the rough handling.
So...eh... I'm thoroughly lost. Is she in on it? Is it her? WTF is going ON?!

"Let her go or I –" Dante streaked forward
NEMO.

you don't know what's going on
Damn right I don't!

It was clever not to engage him in battle.
You might like to add that anyone who ever did try to fight him didn't survive to tell the tale?

Damn. I'm late for work. Will continue chewing you out when I get back. Miss you babe and take it easy, that hand is not going to get any better at the rate you're going.

Vergil's Greed

DreadnoughtDT;265366 said:
^ That's not really reviewing, it's more like... Nit-picking. I dislike it when people try to find all the mistakes and don't point out anything good, or the bad things overwhelm the good things in a review.

Now Chloe, I'm not gonna nit-pick. It is solid overall, and I thought it was an excellent fic. If there are any real mistakes, I wasn't able to find them. Maybe I'm crap at reviewing, but that's just how I saw it.

She asked for concrit and nitpickers so she can get it polished. Perfection is created in the finer details, and as the saying goes the devil's in the details. I don't do reviews well, I'm a critic by nature. To clear this up, I'm not being nasty or whatever, she knows I love her work and I'm the one who encouraged her to start WLFH. Anyway, she's used to my 'harsh' opinion, she can handle it. I can be as nitpicky as I want with her, her practically being family gives me the right to do so.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Thanks DT, I'm glad you think it's solid, it means I'm doing something right.

Vergil's Greed;265375 said:
You know half the stuff would make perfect sense if you'd post Family Legacy.

Let's not even go there. Family Legacy - MINE. Mine, mine, MINE! Not sharing! You're just lucky I let you read it, because nobody else ever will. It's for my personal pleasure. MINE!

It would save you needing to do all this tweaking as well.

Mr. Obvious :rolleyes:

I still don't get what possessed you to do a spin off and post the spin off but not the original.

Uh, YOU did? You're the one nagging at me to write it. And like I said, original ish MINE!

Who does that kind of thing, seriously?

I do. Clearly.

Um...New York New York... it's quarter to eleven at night there now. Whatcha mean you're late for work? YOU MAKE NO SENSE, BOY!

Anyway, thanks Mr.Perfect. No one better for the job, I guess. ;) You wanna write it for me? :p

LOL at your sig. Change it, please, ROFL XD

Vergil's Greed

His brother was soundlessly weeping, his strong shoulders heaving and trembling as he hovered protectively over the body.
Dawww?

and pressed the child tighter against his chest possessively
Very wordy.

Gruffly, tersely, slowly, roared, writhing in ugliness. What happened to good old Said?

"I won't kill you," Vergil said.

"Uh," Dante said with a small smirk and a tilt of his head, "Yeah, not exactly what I was thinking, but that'll be good, too.
LOL!...you know ;) Nice work.

I'll let you go but I'm coming with you."

"Come with me?" Vergil repeated.

"You stand a better chance against him with me to back you up," Dante said, and let go of his brother with a great, tired breath. "And it increases the likelihood that you'll come out of it alive."
This seems a bit stilted to me. They're not teenagers in a game of Say Uncle here, are they? They're grown men so give them a bit more depth. The scene smacks of lets-get-this-scene-rushed-and-over-with-kapish!

Since you're being weird about FL, I'd suggest you flesh the chapter out a bit more and clear up any lingering confusion/questions. How did Anthony know where to find Dante? And why didn't he heal? He's a halfbreed, isn't he? Can't you at least leave a hint that his wounds were beginning to heal?

Um...New York New York... it's quarter to eleven at night there now. Whatcha mean you're late for work? YOU MAKE NO SENSE, BOY!
Overseas conference. I didn't get the memo that I was supposed to attend it live until Bryan called me up and shat me out.

LOL at your sig. Change it, please
No.

Top Bottom