• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Wireless USB Adapter (HELP!)

Rage06

HI
My network card has gone bust (doesn't work properly no more :()
So I'm planning on buying a Wireless USB Adapter. (probably today) Its for my laptop in which i do a lot of surfing + streaming and i Play online games a lot.
So which adapter would you recommend for me to use, my internet connection is 20mb (but i only receive 6 ;|)
i have a Sky wireless router > (IEEE 802.11b, 802.11g)
Are these what i am looking for? and which ones better :)

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/35167...-NEXT-Wireless-N-USB-2-0-Adapter/Product.html

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/35189...ork-Adapter/Product.html?ptsl=1&ob=Price&fb=0

Thanks

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Don't know which one is better, although I see more people in my house area use the model Belkin. They said that it is easier to setup.

Don't take my word seriously, and let's see what the others say first.

Ember To Inferno

Eternal Rest
20mb modem but only receive 6...Hmmm...

Putting some thinking power into it, I would personally go with the Belkin router. Mainly due to your IEEE numbers having a match up via the description, also it has an MIMO ability which really, REALLY helps with having multiple computers on the same internet line doing their own thing.

Sure, the little sucker may be more expensive, but it's overall simpler and gets the job done the same if not better than the Netgear. Also, yes, installation is easy on those things, I had to set one up for my friend while he was away from his house.

I wouldn't take my word too serious, simply because I'm not expert, I'm just judging and going by what I have had experience with.

EDIT:

After double/triple checking that thing to try my best not to pull an idiot move here, I got to thinking that maybe you would need more range (if it's distance that's causing the lower amount of speed you're getting). So you could always look into the Netgear since it does have an antenna (although how much it improves is beyond me and my bet would be not very much).

I decided to look around some sites reviewing the routers and I got this:

http://alatest.co.uk/reviews/networ...s-usb-adapter/po3-53432217,111/#partner:50404

This is not fully vista compatible as the software does not work with Vista. It is fully XP compatible and installs in a jiffy. Range is good. Works with Wireless G or Wireless N. Max speed around 300mbps. You want speed!? It gives you speed.

According to that site, they're not sure if it works with Windows 7 and Vista, and I can't seem to find anything to clarify this, sorry. That's to the Belkin btw^

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Range...ts=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Netgear claims this wireless USB has a driver under Windows 7. Just try to get it to work though...
- Reviewer on second page.

Amazon reviews claim it works good, but there's one that says it didn't work well with his Windows 7. This is for the Netgear^

I'll try and look around some more to see if I can find an answer to this, but sadly since I own neither one, I can't give you straight answers, only possibilities. I'm terribly sorry D: Also if you don't understand anything since I suck at English point it out and I'll try to explain.

EDIT #2:

After digging even more, I've found that the Belkin apparently does not have Windows 7 support, can someone please confirm this? But the Netgear does, again, don't take my full word for it.

At this rate, I see it as a "Pick one and go" sort of thing. Because google is not helping me with this much >:I Also this also depends on what your OS is >.>

Rage06

Thanks Chaoss and Whoa, thanks for all that Ember!1!!! Must of taken you a long time, <3! :p
Guess I'll give Belkin a miss as i have windows 7 (don't want to risk it)
When i come home I'm going to order the net gear usb adapter from play.com. I'm not going to change my router now but as its a G router do you think that net-gear usb adapter that i posted above will work with it? because its a N adapter (or are the n adapters all compatible with G's as well)
Thanks for all that btw

EDIT: The 6mb I'm receiving is because of where i live as it does not support more than 7mb through the line :\ and the weird thing is i live in London :O

Ember To Inferno

Eternal Rest
Rage06;278056 said:
Thanks Chaoss and Whoa, thanks for all that Ember!1!!! Must of taken you a long time, <3! :p
Guess I'll give Belkin a miss as i have windows 7 (don't want to risk it)
When i come home I'm going to order the net gear usb adapter from play.com. I'm not going to change my router now but as its a G router do you think that net-gear usb adapter that i posted above will work with it? because its a N adapter (or are the n adapters all compatible with G's as well)
Thanks for all that btw

EDIT: The 6mb I'm receiving is because of where i live as it does not support more than 7mb through the line :\ and the weird thing is i live in London :O

No problem dude, and as far as I know the difference between G and N adapters just means it can handle higher speeds. So the N adapter is absolutely what you want to go for if it's speed.

Please tell me if it works, because if it doesn't somehow I'm going to shoot myself in the foot for giving false information.....

EDIT:

Hey, I looked up on it just to be sure, and I found this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25078-43-wireless-adapter-wireless-router

You won't gain any internet gaming improvement by obtaining a wireless N adapter. A Wireless N adapter WILL work with a wireless G router though, but will work at G speeds.

Wireless G Standard Speed = 54Mb/s (IEEE 802.11 Specifications)
Wireless N Standard Speed = 144Mb/s (IEEE 802.11 Specifications)

So the Wireless N Adapter is capable of the above speed, but when it connects to the Wireless G Router, it will be throttled to the maximum G standard speed (54MB/s).

So according to that, it should work fine! Good luck and have fun playing your games.

Rage06

Thanks again :D that really helped me out, i ordered the netgear n adapter as i probably will be upgrading my router in the near future

Top Bottom