• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why?

Do you like "New" Dante?

• YES

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • NO HELL NO I HATE HIM HAIR MAN HAIR

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Why people don't like new Dante.
tumblr_inline_mn9x08TBeU1qz4rgp.gif

(Of course this doesn't reflect me since I like new Dante more then old dante)

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
(dear god, please don't let this turn into another flame thread)

ok. i hear reasons as to why he's hated a lot. there are some legitimate reasons and there are some that are less than reasonable but i'll let them slide.
*he's too damn edgy
fans of the classic series are more accustomed to the light hearted family friendly dante who rocks out and eats pizza. not a drugged up punk who gets head in limos, cusses, ****s strippers in his trailer, who smokes.

*he's an asshole
again, one of the reasons that i don't think holds up because classic dante was a bit of an ass as well, but that is a complaint that i hear often as well.

*he has no class
i can understand this statement, due to the fact that he opens doors naked and hungover and cusses a lot.

*he's not as funny
classic dante would spit out insults like a spider-man type character. he was very witty and saw fighting demons as a game. current dante tends to cuss at demons and rely more on sarcasm than actually sending a direct insult.

*he dresses so stupidly
again, another argument i find invalid, because seeing a teenager walking down the street looking like he just walked out of a magic mike dressing room is completely normal :meh:.

*his face looks so dumb
i **** you not, this was an actual complaint

*his hair
i know. its old and worn out. but some people just can't stand his hair.

if i'm wrong about any of that, please feel free to correct me

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Despite people saying new Dante had no class, old Dante had no class either. They complain new Dante was an asshole, but so was old Dante. In the anime he hardly took some of the jobs sometimes because he was too tired to do them. Wow, so you're just gonna take a nap while someone out there is dying?

Do I even have to speak on the "dressing stupid" invalid argument?

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
All this topic is going to be is opinion based, I doubt that your going to get anything out of it other than a confrontation.

What people don't like about Dante you may like, its all subjective really so I don't see the point in this topic.

I know some who don't like the excessive swearing, or the punk look, or yes the hair.

But those might be reasons that you deem not all that important, but to them it is.

People don't like old Dante either ya know and some feel the need to take shots at him on a regular basis around here.

So its not just DmC Dante getting heat here.

berto

I Saw the Devil
The hair is a representation of the rest of the issues there are with the game. It's become the symbol that reflects the rest of the issues people have. Just like sparking in the sunlight in twilight, it's not the actual sparkling that bother people, it's the characters, the story, the crap romance, the BS character dynamics, and the laughable concepts, so when people get po'd and scream about the shinning in the sunlight it's actually representative of everything else.

I think someone else here already made this observation. Might've been where I got it from. Where ever it was that I read it they were more eloquent than I am been right now.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
The hair is a representation of the rest of the issues there are with the game. It's become the symbol that reflects the rest of the issues people have. Just like sparking in the sunlight in twilight, it's not the actual sparkling that bother people, it's the characters, the story, the crap romance, the BS character dynamics, and the laughable concepts, so when people get po'd and scream about the shinning in the sunlight it's actually representative of everything else.

I think someone else here already made this observation. Might've been where I got it from. Where ever it was that I read it they were more eloquent than I am been right now.
i don't quite understand. are you saying that they have an issue with elements like the story and characters and the hair is the most identifiable thing they can reference at that time in argument? because i do the same with batman and robin. BAT NIPPLES.

Dusk Stalker

" Everybody gets a bullet!" -Axton
Its each to their own opinons and as ToCool said it is subjective.

But for me:
How they represented him- In others...TRYING TO MAKE HIM MORE LIKE DMC 3 DANTE. And i just somehow find it ironic that people who say, "Oh i don't like DMC Dante, but I love DmC Dante." When he is an exact shade of DMC 3 Dante.

How he is delivered- The threesome at the beginning of the game doesn't make any sympathy for him, nor does his transformation to being this worlds protecter.....which is sudden and too forced.

Expressionless: He seems....bland, not putting any emotion except when he is giant a hole, even when Phineas tells him that Mundus has a son.......blank.......zip......nada. No emotion. You can say, "Oh but he was just taking it in." Okay....but he would have a bit of emotion from it.

His humanity: none at the beginning none at the end, people can say, "Oh he sees humanity through Kat." You sure he just doesn't care for Kat? Does the ending when Kat, Dante, and Vergil are smiling at the humans screaming when the demons are attacking in broad daylight and them spending more time fighting his brother rather then going down and trying to quell the demons?! 'Nice' first start as a protector of Humanity.

Now am I saying DMC Dante is perfect, hell no, but he has those quirks that makes him, well him.

Again Subjecrtive and opinionwise.

Reactions: EnJ

berto

I Saw the Devil
i don't quite understand. are you saying that they have an issue with elements like the story and characters and the hair is the most identifiable thing they can reference at that time in argument?
Yes, but not exactly, there is also another side to that. The hair is the thing everyone associates regarding complains about the title, like the sparkling skin, and when people think of hatting on DmC it's often said it's just about the hair, like the sparkling skin. It's kinda become a symbol; in reality there are genuine concerns and the hair has become the go to statement for people to say 'you are just mad about this, everything else is you said unrelated and immaterial because you just hate the hair' and another for a representation of all those genuine critiques that people have rolled in to one representing factor.

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
I can't speak for everyone but I do know why I don't like him. He's an unrelenting ass***, too much of a try-hard and all around an insufferable d-bag in my opinion. It's more than cussing that makes him off putting, it's his demeanor all together. He's supposed to be edgy because he's unapproachable but I thought it worked better for the old Dante because he was actually self aware of his goofiness and every now and again unintentionally made a joke out of himself just to lighten the mood. This new Dante seems more of an elitist (ironic that he lives like a transient hobo rather than actually owning his own business like the old one lol, but I digress) His lines and appearance don't border off as cheesy like the old Dante but rather sloppy, which I find to be worse. He doesn't really have a true identity either. He pulls off this radical facade while yanking the players heart hoping we can somehow sympathize with him. One other thing that really isn't a big deal but bugged me anyway was how quick we unraveled his back story (losing that feel of mystery around him) and the changes that were made (while I easily looked past them they still are kind of weird) The old Dante was just like his enemies, a demon. But unlike his foes, he had that piece of humanity that kept him attach to humans and fueled him to fight and protect them. The new Dante isn't even human anymore so it was a bit less believable for me. Might as well been an alien really. >_>

While there are other jerks in gaming like Travis Touchdown, Ragna the Bloodedge, Zero and Ratchet, they were just done better imo (Ex: Travis is supposed to be this idiot who's trying to emulate the characters he's a fanboy of.) At the end of the day, I kinda liked the new DmC but its hero can take 2,000 blows from a rusty gunblade, to the temple and die. Personally Kat and Phineas were my favorite characters in that game. Again this is my opinion, as the subject is.... well subjective.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Its each to their own opinons and as ToCool said it is subjective.

But for me:
How they represented him- In others...TRYING TO MAKE HIM MORE LIKE DMC 3 DANTE. And i just somehow find it ironic that people who say, "Oh i don't like DMC Dante, but I love DmC Dante." When he is an exact shade of DMC 3 Dante.
i can see where you're coming from with that. he feels a lot like DMC3 dante in the beginning to me. however, i feel like they diverge along the lines where upon figuring out his demonic heritage in DMC3, dante seemed like he didn't care and still maintained that "**** you, i'm a rockstar" attitude, where as DmC dante slowly but surly began to see the bigger picture and how he fits into it all. (not trying to speak for all DmC fans, just me)

How he is delivered- The threesome at the beginning of the game doesn't make any sympathy for him, nor does his transformation to being this worlds protecter.....which is sudden and too forced.
really? i kinda liked the 80's/90's movie action hero badass cliche

Expressionless: He seems....bland, not putting any emotion except when he is giant a hole, even when Phineas tells him that Mundus has a son.......blank.......zip......nada. No emotion. You can say, "Oh but he was just taking it in." Okay....but he would have a bit of emotion from it.
no truer words have been said. he had the acting abilities of anakin skywalker. actually, skywalker felt more like a character to me than dante at times

His humanity: none at the beginning none at the end, people can say, "Oh he sees humanity through Kat." You sure he just doesn't care for Kat? Does the ending when Kat, Dante, and Vergil are smiling at the humans screaming when the demons are attacking in broad daylight and them spending more time fighting his brother rather then going down and trying to quell the demons?! 'Nice' first start as a protector of Humanity.
i guess we saw the ending differently. i see it as dante just going along with what vergil planned and thats how the demons got revealed. i genuinely believe that dante cares for kat. not in a romnatic way, but in a friendly way. because i really feel like kat was the first person in a long time or ever that dante really felt a bond with.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Because there wasn't anything 'wrong' with 'old' Dante

Why must I automatically 'like' this new one?

EnJ

Shade
Bland, unmemorable and boring character...
Old Dante was CUHRAZZY. Perfect type of character for h'n's games.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Welp, I already know what to expect from this thread... :lock:
there is a video called "Why DmC dante is a bad character" by Hyperbithero you might wanna watch.
**** that guy. Seriously. :bored:
Wow, so you're just gonna take a nap while someone out there is dying?
Yes. :hungover:
Do I even have to speak on the "dressing stupid" invalid argument?
No. :vomit:

------------------------------------------

Edit:
(dear god, please don't let this turn into another flame thread)
Too late. :grumpy:
*he dresses so stupidly
again, another argument i find invalid, because seeing a teenager walking down the street looking like he just walked out of a magic mike dressing room is completely normal :meh:.
*his face looks so dumb
i **** you not, this was an actual complaint
Doesn't surprise me. Looks like these people can't stand those who are ugly. Guess the haters are all GQ models then, right?? :cautious:
*his hair
i know. its old and worn out. but some people just can't stand his hair.
Yeah, and then they turn around and say that it's NOT about the hair. Ha. :sneaky:
if i'm wrong about any of that, please feel free to correct me
Nope. As usual, you're right. :D

--------------------------------------------------
I can't speak for everyone but I do know why I don't like him. He's an unrelenting ass***, too much of a try-hard and all around an insufferable d-bag in my opinion.
DmC fan my ass. :shifty:

Last edited:

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
I think the reason some people "Hate" DmC Dante because Ninja Theory change too much. While the old Dante(s) differ one form another they all where similar to each other. The DmC Dante was built from scratch. And that is what I think. :ninja:

Top Bottom