• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why Ninja Theory went to Microsoft [Video]

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Ninja Theory needed more money to freely do single player games. Yes, but Microsoft has a bad track record of acquiring studios. Why? They shut them down.

They should've gone to investors, instead. Being acquired by a larger company means you lose the freedom that you had when you start out like NT did.

Microsoft isn't open-minded or understanding when it comes to what's required, and what developers need or WANT. So, when they take on a contract by Microsoft, develop the game, and release the game without any marketing or poor marketing like they've been doing to their 1st party studios. They wonder "What the ****? The game didn't sell well!" Um, because you didn't ****ing put money behind them, asshole!

Don't shut them down because they didn't sell well, YOU'RE as much responsible as the first party studios under you!

I've been reading up on Microsoft for years now. Phantom Dust isn't getting greenlit because Microsoft limits the budget to at least 5 million. They need more to reach the same scale as GTA, COD, Battlefield, and whatnot. Microsoft's undying reluctance is what kills studios when they go back and forth. Rare, Mojang, and other major studios get a free pass in this area. It's not fair, but that's Microsoft. (A company with billions of dollars in their pockets.)

*grabs Electronic Arts by the shirt* Oh, no. You're not going anywhere in this!

Last edited:

Judge

Ninja Theory took the deal because Microsoft offerred them creative control over their content while at the same time bankrolling NT games. NT woulnd't have accepted any other deal.

I feel it was a mistake, because Microsoft can guarantee you a massive budget, but they can't guarantee you sales. Ninja Theory did have good sales with Hellblade and they enough in the tank to do more games. They should have just weathered the storm instead of making a deal with Microsoft.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Ninja Theory took the deal because Microsoft offerred them creative control over their content while at the same time bankrolling NT games. NT woulnd't have accepted any other deal.

I feel it was a mistake, because Microsoft can guarantee you a massive budget, but they can't guarantee you sales. Ninja Theory did have good sales with Hellblade and they enough in the tank to do more games. They should have just weathered the storm instead of making a deal with Microsoft.
I would assume they needed more funding.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I hope it goes well for them because Microsoft has bought studios before and squandered them. I forget which studio it was but they used to make a rather beloved series. Microsoft bought them and people were hoping for that big budget title from that studio but what ended up happening was that Microsoft had them working on shovelware for the Kinect. This is just the one that comes to mind, I remember hearing a lot about how Microsoft has bought good studios and made them regret it.

Decisions like those are what landed Microsoft in the position they are in, way behind where the 360 was at this point, though, so the very public acquisition of the studio might be an indication that they bought it to do what they do, not what they themselves were doing with other studios before.

Edit: I forgot the other big example. Rumors around the youtube implied that the reason Microsoft canned Scalebound was because they found it weird and they just couldn't get behind it's less than western style. Again, rather than just going for it and letting game makers do what they do best they rather have it canned. EA did the same thing to Shadows of the Damned.

Last edited:

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I hope it goes well for them because Microsoft has bought studios before and squandered them. I forget which studio it was but they used to make a rather beloved series. Microsoft bought them and people were hoping for that big budget title from that studio but what ended up happening was that Microsoft had them working on shovelware for the Kinect. This is just the one that comes to mind, I remember hearing a lot about how Microsoft has bought good studios and made them regret it.

Decisions like those are what landed Microsoft in the position they are in, way behind where the 360 was at this point, though, so the very public acquisition of the studio might be an indication that they bought it to do what they do, not what they themselves were doing with other studios before.

Edit: I forgot the other big example. Rumors around the youtube implied that the reason Microsoft canned Scalebound was because they found it weird and they just couldn't get behind it's less than western style. Again, rather than just going for it and letting game makers do what they do best they rather have it canned. EA did the same thing to Shadows of the Damned.

I think you're trying to refer to RARE studios. Made Banjoo & Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, and the Donkey Kong games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!

I was so ****ed off about Scalebound being canceled, that I'd refuse to get their system. It was the only game that interested me. They lack a lot of niche Japanese games. Forgiveness has still not come up yet. I wish the best for Ninja Theory, but I have a funny feeling Microsoft is going to screw them over at some point. About 3 or 4 years from now.

Top Bottom