• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why is it always Ivory?

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Thinking back on people's comments in about a billion different posts regarding Dante and Vergil, I thought I heard that they use to work together in the past until things turned soured. I'm assuming this came when Vergil wanted to abandon Dante in order to seek more 'power' for the ones he loes (Or so he claims).

And I think that maybe if this is the case, Vergil used Ebony and Dante used Ivory. Also looking at it symbolic, as mentioned in this thread, it would seem logical. Observe the guns in the fashion of one being dark and the other light. It's two opposites trying to balance themselves out for that perfect bit of order. Ebony and Ivory (Essentially light and dark forces) but working together in perfect harmony. As the saying goes.

Dante probably poses with Ivory more because he sees himself as more on the 'light' side of things. The good side of things. I don't see it as mere coincedence that Ebony just so happened to fall into Vergil's hands. I would look that tiny bit more into it. But my assumptions don't really border on looking too far into it.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Thinking back on people's comments in about a billion different posts regarding Dante and Vergil, I thought I heard that they use to work together in the past until things turned soured. I'm assuming this came when Vergil wanted to abandon Dante in order to seek more 'power' for the ones he loes (Or so he claims).

And I think that maybe if this is the case, Vergil used Ebony and Dante used Ivory. Also looking at it symbolic, as mentioned in this thread, it would seem logical. Observe the guns in the fashion of one being dark and the other light. It's two opposites trying to balance themselves out for that perfect bit of order. Ebony and Ivory (Essentially light and dark forces) but working together in perfect harmony. As the saying goes.

Dante probably poses with Ivory more because he sees himself as more on the 'light' side of things. The good side of things. I don't see it as mere coincedence that Ebony just so happened to fall into Vergil's hands. I would look that tiny bit more into it. But my assumptions don't really border on looking too far into it.
It is possible but seems unlikely that they have worked together in the past. If that did happen than Dante still used both and Vergil still didn't use any guns. Using two guns is Dante's normal style (and appears to have been Sparda's preference as well.) and E&I were made to be used together (copying Sparda's L&O) and Vergil's preference for avoiding guns is a trait he would have probably always had.
Dante doesn't seem like the type of person that would put any thought into which gun is light and which one is dark (or the type of person who would think of himself as being related to abstract concepts like light and dark.) Any symbolism related to the guns is entirely out of universe and probably not that specific. I doubt things like which gun is in which hand or which gun Vergil borrowed are part of it.

If Vergil had his own set of guns and the colors were opposite or Dante had only light guns and Vergil had only Dark guns. I would be convinced that there was Vergil related E&I symbolism. With only two guns both owned by Dante the only symbolism that seems likely is the obvious symbolism of a half demon with dark and light guns.

kryptoknight

perhaps it has to do with the design of the guns in the novel. Ebony was rapid fire and Ivory was mor for precise shots.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Other way around, Ivory was for rapid fire, Ebony was precision shots. But the idea is possible on why Ivory is usually shown off, combined with Classic Dante being right hand favoring.

Spaz

In the original DMC series, Ebony & Ivory are heavily customized Colt M1911 .45 pistols.
Ivory is customized for rapid fire at short to medium ranges, fitted with combat sigths.
Ebony is customized for long range and fitted with target sights. More noticeably however is that Ebony's ejection port is on the left side of the weapon, as Ebony is made for left hand use, this causes spent brass to be ejected away from Dante.
There are several other minor differences between the two aswell.
Ebony is simply made for left hand use and Ivory for right hand use. ^_^

Darkstar Darin

The Badass In Black
Thinking back on people's comments in about a billion different posts regarding Dante and Vergil, I thought I heard that they use to work together in the past until things turned soured. I'm assuming this came when Vergil wanted to abandon Dante in order to seek more 'power' for the ones he loves (Or so he claims).

y'know i've been wonderin' this for a while now...this makes a lotta sense ^_^

In the original DMC series, Ebony & Ivory are heavily customized Colt M1911 .45 pistols.
Ivory is customized for rapid fire at short to medium ranges, fitted with combat sigths.
Ebony is customized for long range and fitted with target sights. More noticeably however is that Ebony's ejection port is on the left side of the weapon, as Ebony is made for left hand use, this causes spent brass to be ejected away from Dante.
There are several other minor differences between the two aswell.
Ebony is simply made for left hand use and Ivory for right hand use. ^_^
WINNER!!

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Because Capcom is racist?
I mean, how many black people have you seen in Devil May Cry? Lucia is a bit latino, Gloria isn't really a black woman...
And those who are black in other games, like Street Fighter, are heavily stereotypical. So yeah, no black gun is going to get the spotlight.

(Hopefully people will see this for the joke it is and not get offended or take it personal, as that is not the intention...)
Gloria was Lady Gaga.

Top Bottom