• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why is it always Ivory?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I've noticed that in most of Dante's poses with his gun he always uses Ivory more the ebony.
images
images
images
images

DanteIvory.jpg

So I'm wondering why that is? Anyone know?

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
I know that but he could at least use ebony in his right hand too.
It would be hard for Dante to draw Ebony with his right hand and if he did it would eject casings towards him instead of away from him (it is specifically designed to eject casings to his left so the casings would be ejected away from him while held in his left hand.)

Using the guns in the wrong hands would cause problems and wouldn't really benifit Dante in any way so Dante doesn't do it.

Actually, he holsters Ivory on the left, It's easier to draw a gun holsterd on the left with your right hand, than with your left, and again, Dante is right handed.
Dante holsters E&I behind his back making it very difficult to draw the guns with the hand on the opposite side. Each gun is on the same side as the hand he uses it with.

ZeroLove

Because Capcom is racist?
I mean, how many black people have you seen in Devil May Cry? Lucia is a bit latino, Gloria isn't really a black woman...
And those who are black in other games, like Street Fighter, are heavily stereotypical. So yeah, no black gun is going to get the spotlight.

(Hopefully people will see this for the joke it is and not get offended or take it personal, as that is not the intention...)

DragonMaster2010

Because Capcom is racist?
I mean, how many black people have you seen in Devil May Cry? Lucia is a bit latino, Gloria isn't really a black woman...
And those who are black in other games, like Street Fighter, are heavily stereotypical. So yeah, no black gun is going to get the spotlight.

(Hopefully people will see this for the joke it is and not get offended or take it personal, as that is not the intention...)

We got Phinias in DmC who's voiced by a black guy if that counts.

(But I won't turn this into a race thread)

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
It could also be a matter of symbolism. In the cutscene in DMC3 when Dante and Vergil both shot demonic Arkham, saying Jackpot simultaneously, Vergil was given Ebony. So Dante was already wielding both guns, but decided to give Ebony to Vergil. That tells me Ebony might represent a darker side of things. Maybe it represents Dante's more serious side. That would mean it's only logical to give Ebony to Vergil, as it represents the more serious or dark side of the twins, just like blue represents the cool and composed demonic side and red represents the emotional human side.

DragonMaster2010

It could also be a matter of symbolism. In the cutscene in DMC3 when Dante and Vergil both shot demonic Arkham, saying Jackpot simultaneously, Vergil was given Ebony. So Dante was already wielding both guns, but decided to give Ebony to Vergil. That tells me Ebony might represent a darker side of things. Maybe it represents Dante's more serious side. That would mean it's only logical to give Ebony to Vergil, as it represents the more serious or dark side of the twins.

Arakam knocked Ebony out of Dante's hand and Vergil conveniently caught it.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Heheh, kind of funny when you see that Vergil gets the gun and holds it in his left hand. 'Left' used to be associated with 'evil'. Vergil isn't even left-handed, judging from what I see in gameplay clips.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
DMC3 is full of symbolism. To say that applying symbolism to this is not warranted is a bit weird considering that.

Oh wow, I can't remove my previous post? Great :p
It just seems like it's to minor to put that much thought into. It seems more likely that Vergil ended up using Ebony because Dante keeping the gun in his right hand worked better for that scene.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
It just seems like it's to minor to put that much thought into. It seems more likely that Vergil ended up using Ebony because Dante keeping the gun in his right hand worked better for that scene.

That is probable, I suppose. Though wasn't Dante holding Ebony in his right hand and Ivory in his left hand? I think I can see the two guns fly in the air and get mixed up, when I pause the video at that moment. Could be wrong, though.

Naah, probably not, as he always wields Ivory with his right hand.

Top Bottom