• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why I Don't Need Another Devil May Cry Game

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
There's not really much I can contribute to the thread that hasn't been said by others. Like many, my interest has ebbed and flowed a lot since first coming into the fanbase fold. Even when it flows, it can never be the way it was when I first fell in love with the series--games, anime (yes, yes, despite its many flaws), manga and books, you name it. But, that's like with any love: if you get comfortable with it, it doesn't mean you love a thing any less--just that you see it for what it is, warts and all.

I find myself yearning to play the games now and again--3 and 4 being my favourites, since I've actually beaten them both multiple times--and when I think about not only the gameplay, but the environments, and what tidbits of storyline exist, it makes me miss it all the more.

As to another game? I have an all-or-nothing approach to that. If they can do it right--wrap up loose ends, breathe heart and soul into the characters, make each game work as a part of a cohesive whole--I'd be down with another game. But as this is Capcom, and as we all know their M.O. is to cut corners, I think I'm okay with things stopping where they do. Why? Well for one, because the games deserve better than a half-baked conclusion, and two, because without canon material to follow things up, it gives the fanbase a well to draw from--be it fanfiction or art.

And yeah, there are some pretty shoddy fanfics out there--but when you find one that resonates with your perception of the franchise, and it gives you the sense of closure Capcom has yet to provide, it lessens the sting quite a bit.

For me, anyway. 'Sides, the franchise has replay value, no? :wink:

Aisen66

hello guys im new sorry for intruding in the sweet like anise convo but i do want more dmc games im not going to buy the ps4 for a long time because i have enough ps 2 games to play :angel: but i wont stop rewinding back and forth the future dmc game trailers on youtube everyday and i wont even look at the gameplay and story when the time comes and the fans post the videos because it would be in my future to play them myself thats what i always do with every game now thats talking about my choice and there,s also no reason whatsoever for one last game capcom can do magick like make ten games all within the time frame of dmc 3 or dmc 4 so you see the story never ends

KtWtWiS43

Thanks for all your positive responses! Looking to the future, it feels to me as if this botched line of development for a major franchise, isn't likely to happen in quite the same way again.

With social media, and online sites, fans are so much more connected than they used to be and can very quickly organize whenever they don't like something; as we've seen with response to RE6. Furthermore, looking at industry leaders like Naughty Dog, and Hideo Kojima, their continuity with development teams and voice actors between games (save a Keifer Sutherland here or there) have set the new standard for consistent triple A titles. Everyone should remember the crazy re-do the Prince underwent between The Sands of Time and Warrior Within right? I think developers are beginning to realize that practices like this do not work.

Looking at Metal Gear, or Uncharted, or The Last of Us, the games that are making an IMPACT and leading the industry have consistency in their teams. Before, we used to look for company names or brands to determine quality. Now we know names like "Nolan North," or "Neil Druckmann" or "Amy Hennig," or "Reuben Langdon," or "Hideo Kojima," or "Shinji Mikami," or "Hideki Kamiya," and know where to go if we want something good. And I truly think that the industry as a whole is beginning to take notice.

I suppose I'm saying that as we were in the right time/place to grow up with Devil May Cry, the series unfortunately was part of a time where the real creative minds had none of the control they have now. In addition, the fans did not have the voice we have now either. So even though Devil May Cry had to take the bullet on this one, maybe we won't see this happen again in quite the same way for future IP's.

Also, I didn't mean for the main post in this thread to be so sappy, but it was in the middle of the night. Oh well. As far as any future games, I do agree that the series needs one more solid entry to send it off. So much time has passed since we last saw Dante. We really need a Metal Gear Solid 4, or Uncharted 4 to wrap everything up. Someone at Capcom please let me write it! And then someone needs to come up with a new series with new characters I've never heard of, and time can move forwards.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I was thinking it be cool if Dante joined the cast of Darksiders if they ever get another game and vice versa. I just think it be a natural crossover to have and a fun one to do.

I'm not really looking for a conclusion in the next DMC but more a step forward for Dante. They never really figured out what to do with him past DMC1 so that's been holding it back (for me). For a conclusion I'm leaning more towards a Uncharted 4 which was more self-contained than MGS4 which tried to wrap up everything.

Aisen66

i didnt like when nero kicked dante in the face so i told team ninja how bout we cut him to little pieces and feed him to the lions and then we,ll see why house cats bark and bite and they erased him from the map no more nero :cautious:nah he has a good chance to be with the boys back in town on a new game but dante is the boss he doesnt need nero for the game to be good and vergil was awesome on the dmc4 for ps4 the ending was super cool i saw it on youtube i love you youtube baby :smile: i just dont like bad words in the game like dmc i been super tired and dyng slowly everyday so i havent finished the last game dante and fiona from this other game need me :mad:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@KtWtWiS43
This reminded me of how I felt when I gave up Bleach. I was a fan of it for a long time and eventually I stopped reading it because I stopped caring about it. I didn't like the direction it was going in... what I liked was lost... etc.

One thing people forget is that its not just a monetary/time investment fans have in a series, it's an emotional investment as well. That's why its often hard to let go of a series or look past its faults because you are just so invested in it.

One thing I am worried about is the fan backlash because I think people are just gonna pitch a fit over anything. I'm not against people getting offended and being outraged I just feel like not every offense is worth an outrage.

I was a fan of the Warrior within shift and I'm not against creators experimenting and trying new things. Jak and Daxter was my favorite game series as a teen and the shift that happened between 1 and 2 was interesting. That mainly happened because Naughty Dog found out that their core audience was more interested in GTA now than Crash Bandicoot. The creative process isn't always clear cut or pure but it can lead to some interesting things and I just feel fans are just gonna thumb their noses at that.

right now I'm just hoping a dmc game gets made so we can have the forum come back to life. I'll worry about what its going to be like after.

Last edited:

Aisen66

man i wish i had been here when dmc was realeased like you said z218 the forums must have been alive back then but i was sitting in gordon,s cage those days this site is a beautiful thing because you can time travel altough i already know the golden rule you can not write and bring back into new conversations old threads ,speaking about everything a little z218 you remenbah when daxter in the psp game became dressed and fought like neo that was greatnesss at its best oh and 43 thanx for the thumbs up that you liked my message thank you son of sparda

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Aisen66 you could always just create a new thread and reask the question/topic.

I never got to play Daxter but i remember that gag. It was funny.

SPARTAN-1000

NO PAIN NO GAIN
Another E3 , NO DMC
Well ............Get a Rope .
hanged_man.jpg

Top Bottom