• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why does this game even exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Clemens

Disclaimer: Didn't play the game and never will. My opinion is based on the videos of other people, so correct me if I'm wrong. And if I make some grammar errors sorry for my English.

As far as I understand, none of the characters has any arc. They have stopped evolving since the 4th game. Even Nero doesn't change, he doesn't learn anything.
Vergil degenarted, he's a bigger douchebag than he was before.
Dante is an old tired horse whiplashed by Itsuno. DmC's Dante at least had space for character development.
Trish and Lady are prostitutes with guns again.
The story is just a combination of DMC 3 and 4. No global events, the universe didn't change. No new information except Dante's past.
Same combat system, same control scheme, same arsenal for Dante (except Cavaliere).

Does this game exist only for fanservice and combos?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Does this game exist only for fanservice and combos?
Criticism of debatable nature aside, you seem to be concerned more with the plot and character development than the actual game. Does it exist for fanservice? It certainly looks that way because the level of fanservice in the story and characters is off the chart. Does it exist for combos? Well, yes. I don't agree with the choice of simply expanding the DMC4 gameplay rather than doing something new, I full heartedly agree with you on that, but, be that as it may saying it like that is a very condescending way of describing the gameplay. You might've hit the nail in the head for a lot of aspects but that's not to say there are other, more amicable, ways to describe it.

Like I said, I agree with you, but I'm trying to prevent this from turning ugly and changing the phrasing a bit goes a long way to keeping a debate civil. In fact, I'm writing my own thoughts on the game right now and a lot of the things you are saying parallel my criticisms but I'm going at it with the old creative criticism.
For example: Calling Trish and Lady prostitutes with guns is not the best way to critique their appearance.

DarkSlayer54

It feels like DMC4 2.0.

A franchise doesn't have to always evolve and push in a new direction. It's been forever since DMC4 came out, and it chose the safe option of making a better version of it. Fans of DMC4 have been waiting a decade for a sequel... Meanwhile those of us who hated DMC4 got DmC. Only makes sense that it was time to please the other side of the coin.

I want to see the next game do something new, but I can't complain over what we got. I actually enjoy DMC5 a fair amount. I will complain if the next one is more of the same though... All about alternating - keep the experience fresh, even if we're just going between two formulas.

AngelEyes

Dressed To Kill
So it can finally finish up the half baked loose threads from DMC4? So we can enjoy a return to classic Capcom however briefly? So I can listen to Silver Bullet on repeat?

I mean I certainly feel ...serviced.....

Last edited:

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I really don’t understand what to make of this thread.

For starters it’s kind of obvious why they made another game because of the huge ass wait. 11 years is not a joke and at this point all fans were losing any semblance of hope and their patience. DmC tried to keep the spirit of the original DMC alive. In some eyes it did and in other eyes it didn’t. Either way it was not the original DMC series or a continuation that we were all hoping/waiting for.

Second of all I can see this doing nothing but creating a lot of arguments with people disagreeing mostly with these points. I can’t tell you not to have your opinion but (1) if I were you I would have worded things a bit different and (2) I can’t speak for everyone but myself but I don’t see much logic in forming an opinion unless you’ve actually done/experienced something for yourself. Simply watching the cutscenes for the game is quite lacklustre in comparison to actually playing it through and then replaying it again after with all the new moves/skills/weapons. That’s like merely watching a couple of movie trailers and forming your entire opinion of the movie on that alone. It doesn’t really work.

Lastly we already have a thread that asks members to post their thoughts (final verdict) of the game. I don’t see the reason for an entire separate thread that simply says I didn’t play all the game but have made my mind up it is bad and here is why. Not saying you have to like it but if you want to give a piece of your mind it would be better suited there. Here’s the thread for it - https://devilmaycry.org/forums/threads/final-verdict-may-contain-spoilers.23884/page-2#post-677360

Case closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom