• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

why did Ninja Theroy fail to produce a combat system

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
.....because there was a limit to how many assets they could pull from the old games to include in their "reboot." Why else do you think the game was on the Unreal engine instead of the MT Framework engine?

The most they could do was take the combat from past projects they had worked on (Heavenly Sword, Enslaved), and add some moves from the Devil May Cry games.

Oh, and uh...if you're that disappointed with how the combat turned out, you can blame Hideaki Itsuno. He and the other combat supervisors from Capcom oversaw the combat's final stages, and gave it their seal of approval. It was their job to see that the combat was suitable for a Devil May Cry game, and they apparently liked what they saw.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
OH BOY, THIS AGAIN!
As I've said, in my eyes, both games are black sheeps in terms of combat when compared to the third game, mainly because the third game was much more satisfying due to giving me a few restrictions, making the combos more of an achievement.

I also love the whole 'It's either the new best of the series, or a black sheep that is a complete step down!" mentality that I see from both sides on this forum.
DmC and DMC4 were black sheeps to me for stepping down in a lot of areas from 3, though in the same way, they had some features and aspects were a step up.
For instance, the environments in DmC were more wide open, allowing me to engage in combat without worrying to much about those narrow paths with the spinning things.
And DMC4 had some of the best boss battles I've played in the series. (Although, I wish I didn't have to repeat them)
You wanna know a REAL black sheep? The first ever sequel to 'Pac-Man' that starred him was a sidescroller on the SNES with more focus on story than gameplay

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
The most they could do was take the combat from past projects they had worked on (Heavenly Sword, Enslaved), and add some moves from the Devil May Cry games.

I think you're right about that. I played Enslaved and Monkey's "finishers" look exactly the same as Dante's. Plus, some of his attacks are similar. I don't mind, it was just remarkable. Tomorrow we'll hear what their new game is, I hope it's one that's just as fun to play.

I haven't played enough of Heavenly Sword to find any similarities, though.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
The Three Stance "L1/R1" System.

Also, are they really going to announce a new game tomorrow?

I sure hope it's not as bad as DmC. :sneaky:

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
The Three Stance "L1/R1" System.

Also, are they really going to announce a new game tomorrow?

I sure hope it's not as bad as DmC. :sneaky:

From their twitter: "Keen as mustard Ninja workers are busy creating for announce time."

Ninja Theory is going to talk at Gamescom tomorrow, about games they never made (maybe Enslaved 2 or others), games they did make (hopefully DmC) and their new IP. "For those asking: Our new project is a new IP. Not a sequel to any of our previous titles." <--- because Ninja Theory can say the words "new IP" five times and people are still gonna be like: Enslaved 2???? DmC2????? Heavenly Sword 2????????

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I was joking, lol. I knew they were making a new IP. Hopefully, it'll be one with that blue-haired girl and the guy who looked like Gary Oldman's Dracula (the young version).

DantesLink

Premium
Supporter 2014
Oh boy, well @Blue_Rose already hit the key point I would have brought up. The goal was to find a middle-ground for Beginners and Veterans. And from a Beginner to Intermediate Level, it succeeded with flying colors.
Now, there is an argument to be said on a advance level (an argument that I can mostly agree with), but that shouldn't diminish the accomplishments NT has made.

Why else do you think the game was on the Unreal engine instead of the MT Framework engine?
To be blunt, it isn't practical. Having an entire team that is already knowledgeable in a solid, reliable engine (and having their mocap tech. take advantage of said engine) and then having them migrate to a different engine would had a significant impact on dev time and budget. Possibly adding up to a extra year (Worst Case Scenario There) in production and lord knows how many troubles would have awaited for them.

I heard it was because they couldn't create the "Limbo" world on the MT engine.
Not to sell-short the technical feats needed for Limbo, but on a surface level, it was just Static-to-Animated Skeletal Meshes, Particles, and Post Process Effects. Things that any competent AAA Game Engine has.
But admittedly, I'd imagine that Unreal's "Matinee" System came in handy.

I bet this thread was started because I said "bullshit IMO" to that comment about DMC4's combat being better then DmC -_-
http://www.tubechop.com/watch/3432086
Yeah, there's another post in the same vain in the DMC4 Section, Jimmies where indeed rustled. ;)

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Tomorrow we'll hear what their new game is, I hope it's one that's just as fun to play.
I can't wait...I just hope they keep a PC port in mind when releasing their new project, like they did with Enslaved and DmC...if they make it a next-gen exclusive, I'm going to have to save up for an Xbone.

I wonder if they'll have Alex Garland back as the writer, or if everybody's "favorite" Taneem will take the reins.

Top Bottom