• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What's so good about God of War?

Chrysander

I hear lots of big talk about the God of War series, but when I played God of War 1, it seemed really limited, and pretty dull compared to DMC3, especially in terms of battle system, and variety. I have recently heard that God of War 2 is meant to be revolutionary, and a big step forwards for action games, but footage that I've seen of it just looks like God of War 1, and still nowhere near as deep or interesting as DMC3. I am not saying that there's really anything wrong with the game, I just don't understand how people can get so excited about it, when there's DMC3 there, which to me has so much more going for it still. Can anyone explain this? Maybe there are some God of War fans who can tell me what's the appeal? I'd like to play a new action game series, but it looks poor to me.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
When God of War 1 came out to me it seemed like just another action game. The difference is that it was more violent that usual and some people enjoy this. But the thing is I didn't even like Kratos in this one.

God of War 2 is nice though. I like the landscapes. I like the entire mission Kratos has this time. Reminded me of Prince's mission in Warrior Within a bit. It is a game where you can beat them without stopping whereas in DMC3 some enemies become invisible for a while, others require some gun shots first etc which I think this makes the game more challenging but others think they stop you from action. For example I have heard from such people that DMC3 offers action but only where there enemies like the 7 Hells whom you can attack until they die. And they did not like that.

Also it's favorable that Kratos has up to 3 moves to tear the enemy without using his weapons. That's good I guess, it's something new.
Others like his attitude. He is more serious than DMC3 Dante, more devoted , with tragic past etc.
Ignoring of course that Dante's past is not the best around but I guess Dante's attitude makes them forget.

The music also is kinda epic in God of War 2. I liked it a bit. Whereas in DMC3 it's kinda rock-thingy which they don't like in these games. And by they I mean people who favor GOW more than DMC in general.

Anyway it's the gore and violence that they prefer for sure. That's what GOW in general is about. When I got stuck one or two times I thought "what would Kratos do right now?" translated in which is the more violent move possible at this situation. And it worked.

Oh and GOW has puzzles. DMC is beat demons, walk to another room, get an item, beat demons, and use the item to open the door and whoa a boss demon.
GOW is half puzzles half violence. And the puzzles are nice I may add at least not the annoying ones:lol:

But for me it's like all of us here DMC>GOW.;)

Chrysander

Thanks for that explanation. I wondered if the gore was the main factor. That's not revolutionary like some reviewers make out. DMC3's battle system is so intricate and advanced, when people say that another action game is better than it, I am assuming that they mean the fighting is better, which doesn't seem to be the case. Yeah I would like to see grapples in DMC definitely, it would be cool if Dante could get a hold of enemies with certain moves. Other than that, the other things seem more like small differences in taste rather than anything major that would make GOW appeal

Top Bottom