• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What was Vergil's real story?

Vergil&Dante

Bring Vergil back!!!
And in DMC4 novel are saying.."In mission 11 of the game where Sanctus preached to Nero atop the Savior about how he was glad to have found someone else with Sparda’s blood (cause Dante would be a nutcase to capture), he revealed a flashback of what happened 16-17 years ago.

At that time, Santus was not the ‘Pope’ of the Order. The Pope was someone of around his age by the name Solemnis while Sanctus was a retired commander of the knights. He had thought about giving up hope of becoming Pope as the only way for a next Pope to be elected was only if the current one passed away, but in the end Sanctus was still unable to give up his dream to turn the world into what he deemed to be Paradise. In order to realize his ambitions, he had no choice but to kill Solemnis using a slow but safe method that is poison (which he abstracted from plants). It took two years for the Pope to die but no one suspected Sanctus one bit as they believed it to be natural death.

As schemed, Sanctus then became the next Pope. As part of their tradition, the new Pope was to rest in the private room at the top floor of Fortuna castle (which was believed to have been Sparda’s) in order to ‘inherit’ his ‘noble soul’, whatever that means. It was at that time when he heard someone come into the room. Sanctus was about to attack the man in defense but he paused when he could feel the clear difference in ‘strength’ through the man’s aura. The man, obviously Vergil, told him that he came only to trace Sparda’s footsteps. Based on this aura, Sanctus figured that the man wasn’t human. He wanted to ask Vergil if he was a demon or perhaps a god when he heard his guards heading for the room. Vergil went straight for the window and was about to leap out when Sanctus asked him to wait.

Vergil paused in response and looked back, only to say “I don’t mind that you pray to Sparda as a god, but do think clearly of this. One day I will surpass that god, and when that time comes, who will you worship? The one that was once god or the son who exceeded him.” And then he disappeared through the window.

Back to present time, Sanctus told Nero this story in order to explain how he came to the conclusion that Nero was likely to be Sparda’s descendant. He was convinced that it was probably ‘that man’ from16-17 years old that might have impregnated a woman (a prostitute to be exact) in town and out came Nero who’s now 16-17 years old. As sucky as this story is, there’s still a piece of good news – Nero isn’t convinced so neither should we! Yippee yay! =D"

http://www.devils-lair.org/dmc4novel.html

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
^I dunno. I have a couple of theories on that, but none that I can disclose here (because one is inappropriate and the other I'm saving for a fic). But does it matter where they found it? The thread was meant to be about the connection between Vergil and Nero. Maybe Capcom just decided to snap the sword in half so that when Nero fixes it and summons it and quotes Vergil, the fans will go 'he's Vergil's son!'
But I mean, that really is a question for Capcom to explain.

-edit-
Is the DMC4 novel canon?

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
As in, has Capcom confirmed that the novel is official and relates to the games? if it contradicts anything in the game, it can't be canon. That's why they declared the DMC1 novel non-canon, DMC comic non-canon, and DMC2 and the manga canon, because the latter two don't contradict the games.

Virago

Not listening.
Full disclosure: I've never read any of the DMC supplementary materials and I've never watched the anime, nor do I plan to. So if it's been suggested somewhere that Nero and Vergil are related in some way other than Nero's demonic abilities and his use of Vergil's sword, I don't know about it. And I didn't interpret either of these characteristics to mean "blood relation."

Honestly, I believe many of you are over-thinking Vergil's motivations, maybe even engaging in some wishful thinking. He struck me as a power-hungry archetypal schmuck who ended up like most power-hungry archetypal schmucks: short on humanity, long on temporary and ultimately worthless power. In DMC3, he seemed interested in pursuing power for the same reason Arkham was. That is, power for the sake of having power, ruling the human world and the demon world. Maybe his mother's death lit a fire under his ass. Maybe thereafter he saw weakness in the human side. Maybe he was motivated by revenge or a desire to protect something, a la Anakin Skywalker, as some one else pointed out, but I strongly doubt it. He didn't have anything to love or protect given his attitude in the actual game.

Does it really matter? Regardless of why he did it, his end had to be the same. It's part of his archetype.

Besides, would he be nearly as interesting if you knew? ;)

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
I agree with Master Virgil’s theory. But here is my 2 cents. Virgil wanted power to surpass Sparda. He showed he needed this power at any cost; he would obtain Sparda’s power at the cost of human lives and even Dante's life. (But he showed he cared for Dante because he activated Dante's devil trigger on purpose. That's how I see it, because Virgil seemed happy to see the rage in Dante's eyes and wanted to fight him, but Arkham advised him not to) He needed Sparda’s power to protect something. Yes Virgil also wanted power to full his own ego and because an unstoppable warrior. Virgil didn't like his human side because he looked at it as weak, probably because he couldn't protect his mother. Virgil never hurt humans; (he passed Lady in the libery and didn't hurt her. I'm sure he knew she was there) so Virgil most likely dislikes humans but won't actually harm them. Listen to Nero's line "from that day on my arm changed and a voice echoed power, give me more power. If I have to become a demon, I'll endure the exile anything to protect her!" That is something Virgil would say, it sounds like something he said after witnessing his mother’s death and or to protect the women he knocked up. Nero has to be Virgil’s son because Sanctus says “you have indeed inherited Sparda’s power” and again “I must salute a man who carries Sparda’s blood.” The Savior could only be powered by Sparda’s sword (his power) and a person with Sparda’s blood. Virgil was dead or missing so the only one left was Dante. But Sanctus used Nero; he was able to do this because Nero carried Sparda’s blood! I doubt Nero was a missing brother of Dante and Virgil and Dante wasn’t his father so it has to be Virgil. Plus all the blood relatives of Sparda have white hair; Nero has white hair and is part demon and human. Nobody else is half human and half demon only the Sparda family is. Why Virgil stayed in hell I don’t know maybe to distant himself like everyone else has said, until he got more power to protect them maybe. Anyway Master Virgil’s theory makes sense and I accept it. :)

Neminis

That theory in the OT makes quite a lot of sense.

The problem I personally have with it is the fact that it looks like really lazy writing over all.
Not on your part, Master Vergil, as you, as you said only picked up the loose threads floating around and tried to make sense of it, but the writers.
They would have basically repeated a similar story line for three people of the same family tree.
If your theory is correct than I would sum it up like this:
1) Sparda: Fell in love with a human, probably died to protect her in some manner.
2) Vergil: Fell in love with a human, died trying to gain power to protect her.
3) Nero: Fell in love with a human. Did not die, but would sacrifice his soul to keep her safe.

Also, the fact that Vergil would have left his potiental son(that must attract demons as he has the power of Sparda) alone, pretty much unprotected to go off into hell to gain the power to protect him, makes me seriously doubt the man's intelligence
On the other hand, as stated before, DMC is not higher literature, so it doesn't have to be the deepest storyline ever conceived.

Still, good job tying all the threads up, even though I do not agree with the theory.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Haven't been back on this topic for a while!

@Virago - I doubt making the connection between Nero being Vergil's son can be seen as wishful thinking, since at least 99% of the fandom is against that idea. I was only trying to make sense of where the hell Nero came from and how he could be possibly related to Vergil as Capcom have stated before in an interview somewhere. I'm one of the fans who aren't keen on the idea, but what Capcom says goes, so I was just trying to make the connection.

@Neminis - yep, I'm with you 100%, the storyline for DMC is all over the place. Which is why I, and anyone else who might be interested in trying to follow the theory that Nero is Vergil's son, need to keep in mind that when DMC3 was created, they most likely did not have the idea for Nero in their heads yet. It didn't occur to them to change the storyline and give Vergil a 'long lost son' until they started talking about DMC4, at which stage DMC3 was already developed. So they winged it. Yeah, back then when Vergil did his speech about power, it was probably in the context of him being power hungry and overcome with his demonic side and having no other interests aside from his own. BUT, since DMC4 came into being, the writers probably figured, weeeell, y'know, it's not rock solid that Vergil just 'wanted more power' but that he had motivation to gain that power. So everything is not going to run smoothly, and they've left enough holes in both stories for fans to come to their own conclusions on how they're related.

This is just the theory I could come up with on why Vergil did what he did, because as I said before if you consider the timeline (which in itself is also screwed up) Nero would have either just been born or been expected when the events of DMC3 unfolded for there to be a logical explanation on how he can be the age he is when he came face to face with Dante in DMC4.

I'm not saying that my theory is foolproof or anything, but the fact is that Capcom did say that Nero is Vergil's son. If anyone can outdo my theory, please do so.

Top Bottom