• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What next?

zarion

So now that the comics, Vergil's downfall and all the DLC is out and the bug exploits have been uncovered what next is there to look forward to?
Honestly I am finding it very hard to find any worthwhile discussion topics, if there was an announced sequel, or if the sales improved a bit I might.
But since sales tanked a sequel is highly unlikely.

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
Well, so far the sales aren't the best but it could go up in a month or so. Even then it is hard to tell if Capcom wants to do a sequal.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Capcom did say they wanted to start putting on games like DMC and other franchises annually, which could mean more DmC, DMC, or both a la Call of Duty's hot potato development-style.

As nice as that would be, I fear more for the quality of games being made in a year's time :/

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Capcom did say they wanted to start putting on games like DMC and other franchises annually, which could mean more DmC, DMC, or both a la Call of Duty's hot potato development-style.

As nice as that would be, I fear more for the quality of games being made in a year's time :/
Not just quality I worry about but also if it is a game a year then they will run out of ideas and creativity and the games won't be as they were. Plus we could get tired of them if it is 1 a year release schedule.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Not just quality I worry about but also if it is a game a year then they will run out of ideas and creativity and the games won't be as they were. Plus we could get tired of them if it is 1 a year release schedule.
I don't know. Remember the old games on the PS1 and how long it took for those to come out? I think the wait for those was a year or so maybe? My memory might be getting the better of me. But the only real way to speed up production without the quality being effected would be having a larger team to work on something. Smaller the team the longer it takes, especially with games of today that need so much effort put into them.

But I don't know if ideas or creativity would run out, you'd just have more time to do other things.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium

Yeah, that's another huge thing about it, at least with something like the DMC franchise which actually tries to have a narrative. It's doable, if they just focused on all these jobs that Dante takes, but you can only stop someone from opening a portal to hell so many times, and it was already done to death by DMC4 :/ And if they try to delve deeper into the characters, things run the risk of being way too rushed, creating as slipshod a over-arching story as the classic DMC is already known for :/

I honestly don't think DMC is a franchise that would benefit greatly from yearly releases.

I don't know. Remember the old games on the PS1 and how long it took for those to come out? I think the wait for those was a year or so maybe? My memory might be getting the better of me. But the only real way to speed up production without the quality being effected would be having a larger team to work on something. Smaller the team the longer it takes, especially with games of today that need so much effort put into them.

But I don't know if ideas or creativity would run out, you'd just have more time to do other things.

I dunno, most of the games I liked playing in the PSX era were Final Fantasy titles, or anything else by Square, and those usually took at least three or four years :p

I hope its at least 2 year production cycles, every game franchise I have enjoyed that started having annual releases became boring and unexciting to me. I think there's some value to having fans of a game wait for a sequel in addition to the overall quality boost games get with longer development cycles and smaller more focused development teams. Once it becomes yearly, I hate to use cliches, but the game loses its focus, and ultimately its soul. It may be technically proficient and extremely refined in its core mechanics but its missing that inexplicable trait that makes it more than just a good game.

zarion

But development costs time and money.
In the mean time what will they do for earnings?

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
But development costs time and money.
In the mean time what will they do for earnings?
You mean Capcom? They'll probably release other games and properties that are ready for release during the development phase of their other games and properties. Game companies usually start planning future games while they are in the process of programming others, or releasing games. They've nearly always got a property out.

Dominus

Well, so far the sales aren't the best but it could go up in a month or so. Even then it is hard to tell if Capcom wants to do a sequal.
Sales in Feb were 50000k in the US, so they aren't going up only down down down. From the looks of it DmC will probably round out between HS sales and Enslaved sales in the end. I think Capcom will take this as a sign that people only want modern shooters (not crysis ), dragons, or zombies. So no DmC2 or DMC5... At least they will probably continue making SF and MvC, and their fighting game teams seem competent enough..

Top Bottom