• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What is your favorite kind of protagonist

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
What about the white hair/red trench coat kind? ;)
I have to admit I usually don't like the invincible kind
but Dante is an exception , as clearly shown by cutscenes he is next to invincible , but as clearly shown by in game , he is killable none the less

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I'll choose a good guy having a tragic life

images
he's the guy who saves japan from becoming into a chaotic war-zone and tyranny but you know what ??
images

after establishing peace he still continued to help people but he forgot his own health was degrading and he got ill by and unknown deadly disease which had no cure at that time and where he was no one gave a crap to him no one knew who he was he struggled to get back to his see his wife one last time his best friend helps him to travel back and he Dies in the hands of his wife how sad i mean he saved a whole country and endedup like this !

Sorry for double post by the timer is evil i forgot to add he couldn't even meet his son for the last time

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
What about the white hair/red trench coat kind? ;)
I want to say Dante is the exception but unfortunately, not. His appearance, ohhh yes, I like. His character, not so much. When it comes down to doing a good thing versus being a good person, I'd go for the latter. Dante is just too crude and has way too many negative traits for me to class him as my favourite kind of protagonist. Sad but oh so true :(

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I want to say Dante is the exception but unfortunately, not. His appearance, ohhh yes, I like. His character, not so much. When it comes down to doing a good thing versus being a good person, I'd go for the latter. Dante is just too crude and has way too many negative traits for me to class him as my favourite kind of protagonist. Sad but oh so true :(

He's crude and has many negative traits ??? what i don't think he has any negative traits

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
He's crude and has many negative traits ??? what i don't think he has any negative traits

He's overconfident and doesn't keep realistic tabs of his own strengths and weaknesses, not to mention he's got a huge personality disorder in the fact that he keeps his feelings hidden. In fact, that's one of the reasons I like Nero more. He lets his emotions go. He's more human than Dante in that regard.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
He's overconfident and doesn't keep realistic tabs of his own strengths and weaknesses, not to mention he's got a huge personality disorder in the fact that he keeps his feelings hidden. In fact, that's one of the reasons I like Nero more. He lets his emotions go. He's more human than Dante in that regard.

You call that negative ?? he's cocky because he is well he likes to "play" that's a part of his persona he doesn't take things around him serious that doesn't mean that he never gets serious at times he does gets serious DMC4 tainted and twisted his actions but that doesn't matter

he's still dante its just capcom's fault on projecting dante as a clown in 30's i don't like to call it "MPD" I'll call it Capcom's fault
feelings hidden ?? then what about his dramatic tears in DMC3 ending ??? he isn't a crybaby like nero that's all

NEROOOOO !!!!! KYRIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!! -_-" I don't really like way he expresses his "feelings" not at all that's just my personal opinion in-fact i find all of the main cast annoying as heck [except credo ]

1) Kyrie&Nero He's annoying no i should say when kyrie&nero are together everything gets annoying
2)Dante older dante behaving like DMC3's dante isn't cool its annoying
3) sanctus he's annoying because he's Old and i have fight an old jerk as a final boss now that's really not-so satisfying
4) angus yeah he's annoying i don't even want to describe how annoying he really is

Well that's it DMC4 is focused on really annoying cast except credo every's abnormal and annoying i don't think he's an ani-hero or something like yes vergil can be called an anti-hero or negative but dante isn't

Dante is 100% human he isn't evil at all he cares about the people around regardless on how he behaves its just a part of his personality

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Dante is 100% human he isn't evil at all he cares about the people around regardless on how he behaves its just a part of his personality
I don't think anyone ever said he's evil. He's just got a lot of bad qualities:
-childish
-deliberately annoying
-arrogant
-vulgar vocabulary
-poor hygiene (because seriously who lives with garbage cans in their house?)
-total all-out lame flirt
-condescending (which I guess is him trying to be funny)

I don't think he cares about the people around. He emphasises throughout the anime that he only takes jobs that tickle his fancy, eg. he won't stop, drop and help every person who comes to him for help. If he cared about 'people' he would have taken that call he got in the beginning of DMC3 instead of hanging up and sitting back and wallowing in his own glorified lameness.

His negative qualities outweigh his positives. Not dissing Dante because I do love him to bits, but he's not making my favourite protagonist list.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I don't think anyone ever said he's evil. He's just got a lot of bad qualities:
-childish>>[i don't think its evil]
-deliberately annoying> [Dmc4 doesn't count]
-arrogant >>[who isn't arrogant at times ??]
-vulgar vocabulary>[Really when ??]
-poor hygiene (because seriously who lives with garbage cans in their house?)
-total all-out lame flirt>> [DMC4 doesn't count]
-condescending (which I guess is him trying to be funny)>>[Woo hoo DMC4 doesn't count]

looks like for you soap opera performers like Nero&Kyrie are the best and "Human" Come on ! who isn't arrogant ?? its stupid to say its evil then most of the people on earth is evil -_- He 'was' childish in DMC3 but eventually he grewup in DMC1&2 DMC4 just portrays him wrongly so don't judge his personality using DMC4

Vulgar :blink: i don't think its "Vulgar" its just uncooperative and kinda snappy attitude it can't be termed as 'vulgar' typically its supposed to be like "Make me a sandwich bitch!"

Poor hygiene ?? really you're going toooo personal in his life its 80's who knows how ppl lived so anyway can this be considered evil ? i don't think so

Meg

I think people said Dante to possesses some "Negative" traits which i think means being part evil negative is evil
Donte are you seriously getting on a member's case about not liking everything about Dante? Especially a member named Dante's Stalker and has a Dante av and sig. Really? So she doesn't like everything about a fictional character. Who cares? She is not attacking you in anyway.

Also, negative is not evil. Not in the slightest. DS has said more than once she doesn't think Dante is evil. Everyone has negative qualities, it's part of being human. But that doesn't mean you have to like them. And that doesn't make them part evil.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Donte are you seriously getting on a member's case about not liking everything about Dante? Especially a member named Dante's Stalker and has a Dante av and sig. Really? So she doesn't like everything about a fictional character. Who cares? She is not attacking you in anyway.

Also, negative is not evil. Not in the slightest. DS has said more than once she doesn't think Dante is evil. Everyone has negative qualities, it's part of being human. But that doesn't mean you have to like them. And that doesn't make them part evil.

Some ppl are nice some ppl are aren't that doesn't mean they're essentially bad everyone It may be in anyones opinion but generally speaking i don't really think its bad

humans aren't perfect dante has done a crime of being half human so he has to bear some qualities of human being that includes rude&snappy and lazyness they're just part of human nature as you said he isn't evil that's my point since no one really thinks he's evil
ultimately his actions aren't really evil so he can't be considered evil anyway

Disliking him as character is whole new thing and its strictly personal

ReaperHunter

Follow me to Apex
Premium
in the whole Dante argument he is on my list of favorite protagonists along with Link , Kratos, Snake
but his only personality that was really epic was his one is the first game after that he became silent then half human half demon half cheesy joke machine
my favorite kind of protagonist would be that of Rorshach though the guy who's kind of demented but the story still follows him

Demon619

Deadman walking
I like protagonists that seem like if the crazy situation that they currently find themselves in never happened, then they could have been a normal everyday person...to a certin extent anyway. Protagonists that seem too...unrelatable...too werid in some cases are just not my thing.

Be it their personaliy (something way out of the ball park of how a normal person would be) or their actions, if they seemed like they oculd have been a normal person if it wasn't for some strange incident, I enjoy them as the heros.

Two examples of this I enjoy are Ichigo Kurosaki from Bleach (who actually was normal until his life turned into a spiritual ****-storm) and Nero (While yes he wasn't that normal to begin with, he still seemed to fit in with everyone before the incident with Dante and such).

But I won't deny that I enjoy the anti-hero or angusty hero from time to time.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I guess i tend to like characters who want to do good but have no idea how, whether they be meek everyman like peter parker or anti-heroes like kaine, thor, iron man etc.

As well as character who are committed to doing good despite other difficulties.

Top Bottom