• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What is your favorite kind of protagonist

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
In all media , video games , movies ,and literature a like
here is a layout if you want a bit more organization
The type:it would have to be the "Survival" kind , A kind of character which has Survival as there primary goal , it is more realistic than most kinds

The reason : with barely any of that "happily ever after" crap , the character who is merely trying to survive has to be resourceful ( because they don't have "The magic sword that could kill giant monsters in one hit) and can have any personality the maker wants them to while still fitting there origins. plus my first classic chapter book was Robinson Crusoe which I read in third grade ( even though my favorite book is divine comedy)

Examples : Isaac clarke (Dead space ) Robinson Crusoe (titular character),Brian (Hatchet) , Frank West ( Dead rising) , James Earl Cash (Manhunt) , Countless zombie movie/game characters,Leon Scott Kennedy ( Resident evil 2 and 4)

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
Favorite protagonist is probably Luffy from One Piece. It's refreshing to see a main character who is so care free in a world of people who are dead serious all the time. He confounds them with his stupidity and surprises them with his strength. He's surrounded by great running gags like his narcolepsy where he'll just fall asleep in the middle of a fight or eat 50 plates of food. In his own weird way he's the most inspiring sort of protagonist in that he reminds fans to find humor in everything, try to find the right answer with the most basic logic first, and encourages them to not worry about what can't be helped. Plus he's downright hilarious. :lol:

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I prefer protagonists that have a realistic sense of their strengths and weaknesses, and are realistically human in personality. People like Goku or Vegeta from DBZ. In fact, I think Vegeta has the most character development of all the characters too.

Laurence Barnes

Still not dead. Just not really here any more.
Premium
Really when it comes down to protagonist i prefer them to be anti heroes, for some reason it makes them cooler
i know what you mean but for me the type of protagonist well.....there only heros when they are hired (bounty hunters basically) i just like heros who were origionally nuteral scince they could tun on the heroes at any moment

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
I could only tell that I like somewhat darker protagonists, or for once these who been in cathegory of Badaases XD

Laurence Barnes

Premium
speaking of bounty hunters i has a pic of my favourite......although hes only ever been evil thanks to.....tyranus but anyway without further a do or something like that: JANGOOO FEEEEETT
Original-AOTC-Jango-Fett-001.jpg
jango fett

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium
My favorite kind of protagonists are Phoenix Wright, Ryo Hayabusa, and Derrick Cole.
Phoenix is the kind of guy who never gives up, and has the will to go on. I love this about him...
Ryo is solely built on preserving the peace, but often uses violence to enforce it. He never makes the first strike unless absolutly nessesary.
Derrick has no recollection of his past, dosent even know his own name, and wields the power to block bullets, supercharge his arm, and physically hurt an opponent that no other human can even touch. plus, you can do a backflip in first person. (FTW!)
anime-phoenix-wright-131230.gif

Meg

I don't have a "type" of character that I like the most. I'm draw to stories with realistic and strong women, but really any character that is well written I can appreciate. Even if I don't "like" them. My all time favorite character in any medium ever is Holden Claufield from The Catcher in the Rye. Why? He's just such a great kid with a pretty accurate depiction of society if you ask me. I just love him. ^_^

What? Were you expecting me to say Lightning? Nah.

.....she's my close second favorite. ;)

ZeroLove

The strong fighter who pushes people to the edge and doesn't care much about the law. A vigilante who takes matters into his own hands to get things done and isn't afraid to use some more questionable methods to gain what he wants. An anti-hero, not caring much about others unless it benefits himself and is driven by personal goals rather than the larger perspective of things. He might do things that are good for the society, but that's not why he does it.

Also, I like it when something supernatural is into play, the protagonist not being 100% human or being blessed with some extraordinary powers. Dante and Zwei are good examples on that.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Hmm a difficult question. There's surely a great variation between my favorite characters but I don't know if I actually can pinpoint them.

I'm drawn to dark-badasses who are on the side of good, but aren't saints like most of the main characters, because of certain events in their lives. These guys still strive to do good, but not only because it's the "right"thing but because they get something in return in someway or another. I can't approve of super-good self sacrificing guys who are the epitome of goodness because they can as I find them totally unrealistic, boring, and to some certain extent kinda stupid, as they make their lives more difficult without reason. If actually they have a reason for being like that, some past that explains it, etc. then of course I'll accept them. What I dislike are people who are "born" saints and continue to be no matter what happens to them. A good guy I highly approve for example is Himura Kenshin from Samurai X/Rurouni Kenshin.

Also I'm fond of people with some greater goal in mind, like changing the world. As long as they're not crazy (at least from the beginning). Especially if their "changing the world" ambition is actually something they want to do for some personal reason, and not because they are heroes of justice. Good examples for that are Lelouch Vi Britannia from Code Geass and Reinhard von Lohengramm from the Legend of Galactic Heroes.

As a side note, a dark past, some supernatural power, and a character who is actually human, making him/her unable to be categorized as purely good or evil (of course there are always exceptions) with a tiny bit of badassery here and there, do the job for me.

In general characters like in the Game of Thrones are ok. No one there is 100% evil or good which is realistic and great.

mrrandomlulz

Hmm a difficult question. There's surely a great variation between my favorite characters but I don't know if I actually can pinpoint them.

I'm drawn to dark-badasses who are on the side of good, but aren't saints like most of the main characters, because of certain events in their lives. These guys still strive to do good, but not only because it's the "right"thing but because they get something in return in someway or another.

You mean like the Punisher (Marvel comics ) or Phantom stranger (DC comics)

Laurence Barnes

Premium
i basically like the neutral guys but start switching sides because they're unpredictable and could change sides at any moment or might have made a deal to kill you with the enemy

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
You mean like the Punisher (Marvel comics ) or Phantom stranger (DC comics)

Νοt exactly. I don't like extremists who do blindly what they believe they have to, no matter the cost. For me the punisher fails. He is a sad person whose notion for what's right makes him wanna kill whoever disagrees with it. Which makes him more dangerous than the bad guys. If I steal because I have nothing to eat, in his best attitude he'll just break every bone in my body, in his worst he'll brutally kill me. He is between good and evil true, but he can never be truly good, whereas it's easy to think of him as evil due to his extremes.

I don't know the guy from DC comics, but if he's like the punisher, then I probably wouldn't like him either. Since we are discussing comics I prefer Batman (cruel but never actually kills), Spider-man (everyone hates him but he still tries), Daredevil (tough but never goes too far, because he realizes that doing so will make him no better than his enemies) and generally these types.

mrrandomlulz

Νοt exactly. I don't like extremists who do blindly what they believe they have to, no matter the cost. For me the punisher fails. He is a sad person whose notion for what's right makes him wanna kill whoever disagrees with it. Which makes him more dangerous than the bad guys. If I steal because I have nothing to eat, in his best attitude he'll just break every bone in my body, in his worst he'll brutally kill me. He is between good and evil true, but he can never be truly good, whereas it's easy to think of him as evil due to his extremes.

I don't know the guy from DC comics, but if he's like the punisher, then I probably wouldn't like him either. Since we are discussing comics I prefer Batman (cruel but never actually kills), Spider-man (everyone hates him but he still tries), Daredevil (tough but never goes too far, because he realizes that doing so will make him no better than his enemies) and generally these types.
Well the punisher is about revenge his motive his origin story is very similar to batman's only he was closer to his parents when they died so his thirst for revenge on crime is stronger , he kills to make sure they don't go back to a life of crime
As for phantom stranger , he is a dead guy who is basically fighting the demons trying to pull him into hell and corrupt people but , he is basically fighting them just so he doesn't have to go to hell ,he had a his own comic and then later became a member of the justice league after his comic ended and made many cameo appearances helping multiple heroes ( usually batman because we all know the crap batman gets himself into) , he has many mary-sue powers but has been defeated in his comic nonetheless
, he is basically the original ( and good guy anti-heroish) version of mephisto, only he is an entity instead of satan (infact fights satan I believe ending in a tie and he fought Etrigan the demon)

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
The Khaleesi, Arya and King Robert Baratheon from Game of Thrones.
So in that sense, people who are forced into particular circumstances and how they are broken down but have the strength to rebuild themselves into something stronger. Aside from King Robert. He was just a really funny, infuriating guy that you can't help but feel pity for. Poor dude. I can't think of him and not go 'tsk' and shake my head.
Also really like the underdogs in stories. Characters who portray real people and real reactions to fictional events. So, like the guys from the new movie Chronicle. You empathise with the protagonist because MAN, the poor kid. Mind, I also have a thing for stories without a happy ending.
Another kind of protagonist I like is the one who grows the most as a person. The kind who does something worthy, who fights for what others deem a lost cause, while throughout he/she is neither strong nor weak but ranges in between as the situation calls for.
So I guess, less all that hyperbole, my favourite kind of protagonist would have to be the realistic kind.

Top Bottom