• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What is the best DMC game?

CrazyEdge

Hey, was wondering about this series, kinda new to it, just got finished playing DMC, saw a ton of ads online for the new game
Was wondering if anyone could help by telling me which is the best game and why
Kinda weird, but I really enjoyed it and was wondering what was worth playing and what isn't

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I'd say it depends on what you're looking for since I feel each DMC game has something new.

DMC1 is more survival, hack n slash where you really have to be on the ball with how you play. It's definitely challenging for the casual player and I would recommend taking the easy mode choice if you keep dying on Normal. Also get use to only using one green star for health cause that's all they're gonna give you.

DMC2 is damn near easy as all hell and pretty dull of a game. You'd be better off skipping it. Still, there's SOME use to it; playing Lucia is pretty fun compared to playing as Dante. You could get through that game with guns alone.

DMC3 is a fire of a good time with the combos and the insanity of it all. Dante's gameplay is the best it's been since DMC1 with the style system and the arrey of weapons to choose from. And that's just Dante; Vergil is just as good with the katana, and the gauntlets/greeves. It's awesome if you wanna get into some good ol' hack and slash fun.

DMC4 is great gameplay wise if you're still starting the series. Nero is limited in weapons and movesets, but he's still pretty fun to play with the pull and grapple mechanic in the Devil Bringer. Dante is even more fun with the DMC3 style gameplay but ampted up to an 11. You should definitely get the Special Edition and play as Vergil, Lady, and Trish as well with other costumes and faster gameplay.

And the of course there's the supposed black sheep (literally) DmC: Devil May Cry. Say what most will about the redesign and changes in this alternate universe/reboot, but it's gameplay is extremely fluid and tight compared to other Devil May Cry games. I would get the Definitive Edition of the game with all the costumes, Bloody Palace, and being able to play as Vergil. It's also faster gameplay like Special Edition.

All in all; I would probably suggest the ones you should play are DMC1, DMC3, and DMC4 so you can at least understand the story that leads to DMC5. Play DmC if you're looking for something a little more grungy and less anime-ish. As for DMC2...well you can just skip that.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I would say you should definitely play 2 also.

It’s the only way you’ll understand the pain we all suffered the first time we played it.

CrazyEdge

Thanks guys, I think I'll check out the HD collection.

Is DMC 2 that bad. I've seen trailers and a cut scene with a building demon, it looks awesome.

DarkSlayer54

DMC2 isn't bad, but... It's kind of average across the board. The story doesn't really matter either. It feels like a side mission, and it doesn't answer any questions. It just kind of does it's own thing.

I can only speak for myself, but DMC1 is easily the best game for me. I'd rank them all as:
DMC1 - 9/10, DMC2 - 6/10, DMC3 - 3/10, DMC4 - 3/10, DmC - 8/10.

I find it impossible to recommend any of them over the others though. DMC3 could easily end up being your favourite one... Varies so wildly from person to person.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I got into the series because of 1 and since I haven't really gotten the experience from that game in its sequels. I always recommend the original and even Viewtiful Joe as Dante, but the most accessible game would be 3. Most older players will tell you it's 4 but that's only because the combat is more refined but other than that the game has nothing to offer that the other games don't do better. It's boring, repetitive and absolutely different from the others in terms of design for the stages and characters and the visual presentation is also completely different, so if you liked the way the games were on the PS2, oh, well. Personally I say 1 but if it comes down to unbiased truth DMC3 is the most balanced game in the franchise.

Actually, as much as it pains me, if you are not big on action games, from what I've seen from other people, DmC seems to be a good entree point for a lot of people. If nothing else it's accessible.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
For too many reasons to list it would have to be DMC3 followed by DMC1 for overall

But DMC4 is top for gameplay, at least for me

Top Bottom