• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What I Didn't like About DMC1-4

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Okay since us DMC fans or purists (or hardcores), call us whatever you want I frankly don't give a damn, sh*t on DmC on a daily basis as if its our only method of nutrient I would like to apologize on behalf on all my compatriots (although I can't stop them from still doing) and would like to say that the sides are very 50-50 and both series or games (or all games in the Devil May Cry brand has their faults, has do all games) and would like to point out what I personally didn't like about each game individually.

Devil May Cry
  • I didn't like the terrible voice acting
  • The pretty cheesy and somewhat bad dialogue
  • Dante (he was cool in the beginning and the end but some parts in the middle and at the near end did **** me off) isn't as cool as people claim he is especially in this game
  • I didn't like the BS underwater segments
  • I know I shouldn't bash the gameplay since it was very different from the future titles since it was a more strategic survival horror type of game but I didn't like the gameplay that much. You got style points by spamming the same attack and guns were practically overpowered or too useful.
  • I didn't like you need to constantly go to the inventory to switch out weapons (even if I discovered that the R3 button was to switch between the 2 Devil Arms)
  • I didn't like the R3 button was used to switch Devil Arms and they waste a good R2 or L2 button for maps
  • I didn't like you need to hold R1 then press square to shoot your guns on Normal Mode when you can do it without holding the R1 button on Easy Mode
  • I HATED how the Sparda Costume counted as a separate character when its just Dante wearing a different outfit and have a different sword (Yamato) so I had to play from scratch and go through the same story again
  • I didn't like the Yellow Orb system
  • I didn't like fighting Nightmare three times (the rest were fine because they were different each time or was really cool to fight)
  • I didn't like the camera.....at times
  • I didn't like the primitive mission/save structure in which you can't easily replay a mission you finished unless you replayed the game again
  • I didn't like how finding Secret Missions was a guessing game (unless you used a walkthrough)
  • Also I almost missed this one but I also didn't like this scene.
Devil May Cry 2
  • I didn't like Arius's voice
  • The dialogue and acting were as bad and cheesy as DMC1 well the acting that is, the dialogue was slightly a bit better IMO
  • I didn't like the sh*tty boss fights (except for Bolverk, Argosax, Arius, and the tower and perhaps Phantom)
  • I HATED Trismagia
  • Although I loved the challenge rooms I didn't like how finding them was structured
  • I didn't like how cheap and bland Bloody Palace Mode was
  • I didn't like the fact the game was too easy and got a random difficulty spike in odd places
  • Guns were too overpowered
  • Enemies were too simple (except for the secretary)
  • Didn't like there was no Devil Arms and that all Dante and Lucia got were other weapons that was just the same weapon they already got but slower/stronger or faster/weaker
  • Didn't like how the game was divided into 2 disks (now that is just too much of hassle to deal with)
  • The story was way too simple and missed points it could've build upon on (like the Vie De Marli unless that stuff was saved for a potential sequel)
  • Didn't like that Dante didn't talk that much, otherwise he was my personal favorite Dante and had the best lines in the series IMO
  • Didn't like the bland LOOKING environments (even though they're the best environments in terms of exploration and action as well as proper open worldness of an action and seemed the least linear of the DMC series to me that is)
  • I didn't like how the game was rated M and not Teen due to how it lacked blood and cursing (DMC1 and DMC3 at least had blood and gore while DMC4 and DmC had foul language and sexual content)
  • I didn't like how the game failed to list all the moves you can pull off
  • I also most of all don't like the auto-lock on system
Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition
  • Didn't like how Vergil didn't had his own story mode or at least different stages
  • Didn't like how there was no Dante boss fight in Vergil's campaign
  • Didn't like the Doppleganger boss fight (it was very random and tedious compared to the other boss fights and seemed like a rushed in boss and only use was that it gave you Doppleganger Style)
  • Didn't like the Arkham boss fight..............it was cheap
  • I didn't like the Bloody Palace structure......granted it was better than DMC2....buuuutttt I don't know what the problem is
  • I HATED THE FALLEN!
  • I didn't like how they couldn't have had all the styles and weapons available at least inventory like in Bayonetta or DMC1.....I guess it may have been hardware limitation problem with the PS2 or planned like that
  • I didn't like how the HD version of DMC3 lacked HD cutscenes while DMC1 and DMC2 had it
  • I would say I didn't like how the game never explained the difference between Gold Orb and Yellow Orb mode but I luckily picked Gold Orb mode and I assume the original PS2 release of DMC3 SE probably had an explanation in the manual (God knows the HD collection never did).
  • I didn't like that Royal Guard move "Ultimate", I never used it and when I used it or tried to use it it never worked
  • I didn't like how you needed Gunslinger to charge your guns
  • I would say I didn't like the boss rematches at the near end but due my experience of playing tons of MegaMan games (all of them to be precise) I got used it to it and even welcome it but didn't like how generic the boss rematch music was compared to the original boss theme for the bosses
I never played the regular edition so I can't say anything about that.

Devil May Cry 4
  • I didn't like that Dante didn't had his own campaign like Lucia in DMC2
  • I didn't like Gilgamesh compared to Beowulf but it was better than Ifrit and Eryx
  • I didn't like that they removed Wall Running and Wild Stomp
  • I didn't like how Dante had less weapons, styles, and moves than in DMC3
  • I didn't like the Savior boss fight, it was okay (the worst or least impressive in the game) but it could've been better
  • I slightly didn't like the backtracking. Well I don't hate it as much as most people and due to playing DMC3 and DMC1 (In that order) I noticed those games both had it (well DMC3 did it the best) so I thought it was franchise staple to do it but I will admit DMC4 handled it poorly although it wasn't that bad
  • I didn't like how Kyrie was merely a plot device (even original plans suggested she had bigger roles in the story although it was just to be a more detailed and better plot device)
  • I didn't like how Gilgamesh, Lucifer, and Pandora weren't boss fights......that would've been cool
  • Although I don't mind boss rematches I was upset that Credo wasn't included in the boss rematches he was the most fun boss in the game outside of Dante of course
  • I didn't like how Nero had the better missions with the better boss fights and Dante couldn't play in those missions (unless on PC)
  • I didn't like the lack of costumes....or no costumes
  • I didn't like the fact the game was rushed for if it wasn't then damn that would've been interesting to see. For a rushed game I'm surprised it came out this good compared to practically every other rushed out there.
  • I didn't like how Nero couldn't have used Yamato as a separate weapon (c'mon he could've used the unused R2 button for that function) but I guess time constraints
  • I guess I didn't like how vague the story was being, although that is common in Capcom games in general, but its quite evident here
  • I most of all and my biggest complaint is the fact Bloody Palace is timed. DMC4 has the best Bloody Palace in the series but the timer is the only setback so far its better than DMC2 and DMC3.....as well as DmC.
Hmmm.....that was about it.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Yah dude spot on review for the most part and i love and agree with how dmc3 did the best back tracking of the series and the request to have yamato as a seperate weapon for nero and just about eveyrthing else stated here lol:p nice way to put it

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Okay since us DMC fans or purists (or hardcores), call us whatever you want I frankly don't give a damn, sh*t on DmC on a daily basis as if its our only method of nutrient I would like to apologize on behalf on all my compatriots (although I can't stop them from still doing) and would like to say that the sides are very 50-50 and both series or games (or all games in the Devil May Cry brand has their faults, has do all games) and would like to point out what I personally didn't like about each game individually.

Devil May Cry
  • I didn't like the terrible voice acting
  • The pretty cheesy and somewhat bad dialogue
  • Dante (he was cool in the beginning and the end but some parts in the middle and at the near end did **** me off) isn't as cool as people claim he is especially in this game
  • I didn't like the BS underwater segments
  • I know I shouldn't bash the gameplay since it was very different from the future titles since it was a more strategic survival horror type of game but I didn't like the gameplay that much. You got style points by spamming the same attack and guns were practically overpowered or too useful.
  • I didn't like you need to constantly go to the inventory to switch out weapons (even if I discovered that the R3 button was to switch between the 2 Devil Arms)
  • I didn't like the R3 button was used to switch Devil Arms and they waste a good R2 or L2 button for maps
  • I didn't like you need to hold R1 then press square to shoot your guns on Normal Mode when you can do it without holding the R1 button on Easy Mode
  • I HATED how the Sparda Costume counted as a separate character when its just Dante wearing a different outfit and have a different sword (Yamato) so I had to play from scratch and go through the same story again
  • I didn't like the Yellow Orb system
  • I didn't like fighting Nightmare three times (the rest were fine because they were different each time or was really cool to fight)
  • I didn't like the camera.....at times
  • I didn't like the primitive mission/save structure in which you can't easily replay a mission you finished unless you replayed the game again
  • I didn't like how finding Secret Missions was a guessing game (unless you used a walkthrough)
  • Also I almost missed this one but I also didn't like this scene.
Devil May Cry 2
  • I didn't like Arius's voice
  • The dialogue and acting were as bad and cheesy as DMC1 well the acting that is, the dialogue was slightly a bit better IMO
  • I didn't like the sh*tty boss fights (except for Bolverk, Argosax, Arius, and the tower and perhaps Phantom)
  • I HATED Trismagia
  • Although I loved the challenge rooms I didn't like how finding them was structured
  • I didn't like how cheap and bland Bloody Palace Mode was
  • I didn't like the fact the game was too easy and got a random difficulty spike in odd places
  • Guns were too overpowered
  • Enemies were too simple (except for the secretary)
  • Didn't like there was no Devil Arms and that all Dante and Lucia got were other weapons that was just the same weapon they already got but slower/stronger or faster/weaker
  • Didn't like how the game was divided into 2 disks (now that is just too much of hassle to deal with)
  • The story was way too simple and missed points it could've build upon on (like the Vie De Marli unless that stuff was saved for a potential sequel)
  • Didn't like that Dante didn't talk that much, otherwise he was my personal favorite Dante and had the best lines in the series IMO
  • Didn't like the bland LOOKING environments (even though they're the best environments in terms of exploration and action as well as proper open worldness of an action and seemed the least linear of the DMC series to me that is)
  • I didn't like how the game was rated M and not Teen due to how it lacked blood and cursing (DMC1 and DMC3 at least had blood and gore while DMC4 and DmC had foul language and sexual content)
  • I didn't like how the game failed to list all the moves you can pull off
  • I also most of all don't like the auto-lock on system
Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition
  • Didn't like how Vergil didn't had his own story mode or at least different stages
  • Didn't like how there was no Dante boss fight in Vergil's campaign
  • Didn't like the Doppleganger boss fight (it was very random and tedious compared to the other boss fights and seemed like a rushed in boss and only use was that it gave you Doppleganger Style)
  • Didn't like the Arkham boss fight..............it was cheap
  • I didn't like the Bloody Palace structure......granted it was better than DMC2....buuuutttt I don't know what the problem is
  • I HATED THE FALLEN!
  • I didn't like how they couldn't have had all the styles and weapons available at least inventory like in Bayonetta or DMC1.....I guess it may have been hardware limitation problem with the PS2 or planned like that
  • I didn't like how the HD version of DMC3 lacked HD cutscenes while DMC1 and DMC2 had it
  • I would say I didn't like how the game never explained the difference between Gold Orb and Yellow Orb mode but I luckily picked Gold Orb mode and I assume the original PS2 release of DMC3 SE probably had an explanation in the manual (God knows the HD collection never did).
  • I didn't like that Royal Guard move "Ultimate", I never used it and when I used it or tried to use it it never worked
  • I didn't like how you needed Gunslinger to charge your guns
  • I would say I didn't like the boss rematches at the near end but due my experience of playing tons of MegaMan games (all of them to be precise) I got used it to it and even welcome it but didn't like how generic the boss rematch music was compared to the original boss theme for the bosses
I never played the regular edition so I can't say anything about that.

Devil May Cry 4
  • I didn't like that Dante didn't had his own campaign like Lucia in DMC2
  • I didn't like Gilgamesh compared to Beowulf but it was better than Ifrit and Eryx
  • I didn't like that they removed Wall Running and Wild Stomp
  • I didn't like how Dante had less weapons, styles, and moves than in DMC3
  • I didn't like the Savior boss fight, it was okay (the worst or least impressive in the game) but it could've been better
  • I slightly didn't like the backtracking. Well I don't hate it as much as most people and due to playing DMC3 and DMC1 (In that order) I noticed those games both had it (well DMC3 did it the best) so I thought it was franchise staple to do it but I will admit DMC4 handled it poorly although it wasn't that bad
  • I didn't like how Kyrie was merely a plot device (even original plans suggested she had bigger roles in the story although it was just to be a more detailed and better plot device)
  • I didn't like how Gilgamesh, Lucifer, and Pandora weren't boss fights......that would've been cool
  • Although I don't mind boss rematches I was upset that Credo wasn't included in the boss rematches he was the most fun boss in the game outside of Dante of course
  • I didn't like how Nero had the better missions with the better boss fights and Dante couldn't play in those missions (unless on PC)
  • I didn't like the lack of costumes....or no costumes
  • I didn't like the fact the game was rushed for if it wasn't then damn that would've been interesting to see. For a rushed game I'm surprised it came out this good compared to practically every other rushed out there.
  • I didn't like how Nero couldn't have used Yamato as a separate weapon (c'mon he could've used the unused R2 button for that function) but I guess time constraints
  • I guess I didn't like how vague the story was being, although that is common in Capcom games in general, but its quite evident here
  • I most of all and my biggest complaint is the fact Bloody Palace is timed. DMC4 has the best Bloody Palace in the series but the timer is the only setback so far its better than DMC2 and DMC3.....as well as DmC.
Hmmm.....that was about it.

DMC
  • i don't know what people find so cool in that Dante incarnation too. For sure he's cool, he's one of the coolest characters in the vydia gaems since this game; but i like more 3 and 4 Dantes.

• That underwater parts was ****, glad they've completely removed them in 3, 4 and DmC. The other "routine breaking" thing with Sparda flying and shooting energy was cool, i still like it.

• Yellow orb system was really just a waste of time, as it was just a matter of saving the game before going to a hard part of the game. But i liked the decision to actually give the player a choice in DMC3, some people can see the yellow orb system as one complement to challenge or even one incentive to not die too much on the game, who knows; there's people out there who takes Hell and Hell seriously in DMC4 and DmC.

DMC3

• woot, the music is the same as the original for the boss fight rematchs, or i'm getting something wrong here?
DMC4

Agree with pretty much all complaints, DMC4 was clearly a rushed game, the tale goes that their budget and time was cut by like the half that they had initially. And there's some signals of this, like the Devil Arms in the portals that seems to relate to nothing in the game (not even a hint explaining where they came from), some interviews where they said that Nero would be able to kinda mix his weapons (makes sense when you remember that he's the guy who made Blue Rose), Nero would have a full demon form too. I've heard that Kyrie was supposed to be a real savior, like an angel or something to these lines, and that Dante was suppose to go to Hell another time (which he goes in all games, so it makes sense in that "tradition" of the series too). This game had the potential to be the best DMC game ever, another epicness in all ways like DMC3 and even more with the intricated combat system.

It's kinda sad that they've not managed to do this just because Capcom wanted to release the game in the beggining of PS3/360 era (and it had no competition in the genre at the time, if i'm not wrong).

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Yeah, if we are to trust in DMC4 artbook material, Kyrie would become the Savior herself and apparently a villian. Dante would fall victim to his demon's side due to an ultimate devil trigger he awakes, where he becomes one with his sword( it becomes his tail).Due to this, Dante goes berserk and starts to destroy everything and killing people, including Trish and Lady and isolated himself due to it, which led to DMC2. The series would take a more serious tone, but at same time scary and glorious development.But knowing the fanbase and late inclusion of Kobayashi, this was drop and even the final story was heavily butchered.If you read DMC4 novel, a LOT of things went untold in-game and silly things become to make sense.

aoshi

DMC 4:

Pandora-----Seriously, a waste of weapon space. Atleast with lucifer, i enjoyed passive blade detonation but a gun special, Oh no. I never used that weapon(pandora) and never intend to. :meh:

Actually, i have always hated gun aspect in DMC games except ebony and ivory.

berto

I Saw the Devil
He's not an over top joke, he's the perfect balance he was about the same in the novel as well. I'm sadden that we'll never see him this serious ever again.
I always thought that the difference between DMC1's Dante and 3 and 4's was the difference between confident and arrogant. Well, that's how I see it.

As for serious I think 3's just doesn't seem to strike the same spark of seriousness. He is serious but the attitude he puts forward and the delivery make you think he isn't as serious as he should be. Add to that how quickly he changes from serious to colorful in a sort of putting on a brave face kinda way, and people just don't get that he isn't fooling around.

Last edited:

Domenic93

Yeah, if we are to trust in DMC4 artbook material, Kyrie would become the Savior herself and apparently a villian. Dante would fall victim to his demon's side due to an ultimate devil trigger he awakes, where he becomes one with his sword( it becomes his tail).Due to this, Dante goes berserk and starts to destroy everything and killing people, including Trish and Lady and isolated himself due to it, which led to DMC2. The series would take a more serious tone, but at same time scary and glorious development.But knowing the fanbase and late inclusion of Kobayashi, this was drop and even the final story was heavily butchered.If you read DMC4 novel, a LOT of things went untold in-game and silly things become to make sense.
avgn_shock_8242.jpg

I don't know how to feel about how the game turned out now. on one hand I makes me greatful towards capcom that they didn't let them do this to the series. It would completely destroy the message of the whole series, about how demons can feel emotion etc. And what the F*CK were they thinking trying to lead the game into DMC2? No one wants to have DMC2 have ANY connection to the rest of the series, we just want to remember it as it truly was another game that capcom produced that they just slapped on the title devil may cry 2 because they wanted a quick buck that has no real connection to the other games. and rebellion isn't even his sword, all 3(4) swords are sparda's. there is so much wrong with all this that I can't even put into words... the kyrie thing I'm kinda ok with, if nero managed to save her. but yeah I'm glad they didn't let them kill off lady and trish. I loved a lot of the designs in the artbook, I would have liked Dante getting an ultimate devil trigger, but not at the cost of making the series Like DMC2 in tone.

Domenic93

wait a minute where did you hear about Dante killing Tish and lady after he went into a berserker rage? And Capcom has gone out of their way to ignore dmc2 ever existed. something doesn't add up, I'm calling bullshit. Are you shatterstar?

Last edited:

Gel

Premium
What?What do you mean?This information was translated from DMC4 material collection, a real artbook.Part of this translation is even in TVtropes and I've the book in japanese. If Capcom ignored DMC2, it would never be part of HD collection, even less it would be refered in DMC4 history files in DMC4.Are you kidding me?Who said Capcom is ignoring it?

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
I agree with almost everything the OP and everyone else who replied.

I really hated how DMC4 made Dante's scenario too short, and not to mention its poor backtracking!

I really hated how they are like oil and water (except DMC2 since, while I agree with the OP, it was too damn easy): great gameplay but poor story... I'll take DMC1's story if someone would ask me which story of the old DMCs I like the best, with DMC3 second...

He's not an over top joke, he's the perfect balance he was about the same in the novel as well. I'm sadden that we'll never see him this serious ever again.
Yeah. I'm sad he's not like that too. I too like 50% serious and 50% stylish Dante version AKA DMC1 Dante! Seems majority of this fanbase have truly discarded him! Even Capcom might not give a damn about the very original Dante!

Last edited:

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
DMC 4:

Pandora-----Seriously, a waste of weapon space. Atleast with lucifer, i enjoyed passive blade detonation but a gun special, Oh no. I never used that weapon(pandora) and never intend to. :meh:

I love pandora it came in handy quite a few times the laser technique and the omen move and the boomerang are great for wide damage while keeping your style up

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
DMC 4:

Good point. Pandora would've expanded more weapon functions if its description says it has 666 weapons. Only seven of them are shown and the rest of 659 weapon functions are left for our own speculation or even Capcom's own f'd up ideas!

But I disagree respectfully about gun aspect in DMC since it is one of its staples.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Good point. Pandora would've expanded more weapon functions if its description says it has 666 weapons. Only seven of them are shown and the rest of 659 weapon functions are left for our own speculation or even Capcom's own f'd up ideas!

But I disagree respectfully about gun aspect in DMC since it is one of its staples.

Seriously why does everyone not like pandora i mean i didnt either untill i started using it now i love the thing its so handy as if you can hit multiple enemies with the laser your style bar jumps as well as the destruction bar and the floating missle lanucher its a prime weapon

Dusk Stalker

" Everybody gets a bullet!" -Axton

I agree, wish there was more then just seven modes. There could have been like twelve or ten and that would have greatly expanded the opportunities of that weapon and the combo potential as well.

Last edited:

Domenic93

What?What do you mean?This information was translated from DMC4 material collection, a real artbook.Part of this translation is even in TVtropes and I've the book in japanese. If Capcom ignored DMC2, it would never be part of HD collection, even less it would be refered in DMC4 history files in DMC4.Are you kidding me?Who said Capcom is ignoring it?
sorry, I knew that the ultimate devil trigger was true, and I remember hearing Dante goes berserk, but I didn't know about the part where he kills trish and lady. I'm usually on the gamefaqs ps3 DmC board, and we have to deal with an idiot troll named shatterstar and a few other, who makes up stuff to try to explain the plot holes in DmC but constantly fails... he's too hard to describe, just look him up and you'll understand. but yeah if it came from the artbook, sorry of accusing you of lying, all that was just too much of a shock, and just couldn't believe it.

Gel

Premium
Don't worry!:wink: If I say something I try to find things to back me off.It's not only a principle of mine but because of trolls too.I hate when people say things that could never be proven, doing even more damage to DMC than it already has from past complications or bad fan interpretation.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Don't worry!:wink: If I say something I try to find things to back me off.It's not only a principle of mine but because of trolls too.I hate when people say things that could never be proven, doing even more damage to DMC than it already has from past complications or bad fan interpretation.

****...i cant believe he kills lady and trish...

Top Bottom