• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What effect did the DMC series have on you as a gamer?

Nessy

It made me realise that a Hack n Slash can take a decent amount of skill. Not as much skill as a good FPS or RTS, but more skill than I had originally anticipated.

Nessy

okie dokie, but i'm just saying. check out DMC4 truestyle tournaments.

I've seen many of them, I was going to submit for one but in the end always been too lazy. i've finished all of DMC4 no damage ages ago and am over half way through GMD mode.

It just takes a lot more thinking to play a game like quake. For the entire game you have to be on your toes, it takes both skill and strategy. You know how hard it is to time how long it is for each power up on the map (4 major ones, with 25s or 35s respawn times) at the same time for ten minutes, memorizing spawn patterns for enemies etc. Even to just make a simple jump from A-B in quake takes some players months to learn. Different league really.

Zargus

Do you know how to install true FEAR?!
Premium
By the time DMC came out I was infatuated with Dragon Ball Z. As a youngin' anxiously awaiting the next episode. I moved on to something that could draw out my jobless life. I went to the mall and I saw Dante's white hair and immediately started asking for it. With the game being a reasonable price and also that my older brother wanted to play it (survivor horror kind of guy), I got the game and watched him play it and when I watched him juggle those demons with guns and then he kept shooting....and wouldn't STOP shooting, I learned about diversity in combat. Now after he gets his ass handed to him, I take up the controller, played around in an empty room for a little bit to check responsiveness. I got into that room and I mean I demonlished every demon in there. (get it? Demonlished? Ahahaha....it's funny.)

When he asked "how" I did that. I said something I never thought I'd say about a video game "skill". It taught me that practice would be needed not only in schoolwork but video gaming too. First game I played where I felt like my reflexes and timing needed to be on que.

If you were wondering if I was able to keep up my demon demonlishing skills, I wasn't. Those gawd awful shadow dogs ****ed ME off like the piranhas in Ninja Gaiden!

I did wish that there were air combos like in this DmC though.

I got the pun. It made me chuckle but then reminded me of my holiday where my mate mostly just said puns all week.

And DMC does take some skill and practice especially dealing with Shadows. One of them I can take easy enough. Two of them I can take but get hit about once or twice. Three (I am thinking of the damn Secret Mission in Mission 4) absolutely destroy me. So I know your pain dealing with them damn Shadows.

I've seen many of them, I was going to submit for one but in the end always been too lazy. i've finished all of DMC4 no damage ages ago and am over half way through GMD mode.

It just takes a lot more thinking to play a game like quake. For the entire game you have to be on your toes, it takes both skill and strategy. You know how hard it is to time how long it is for each power up on the map (4 major ones, with 25s or 35s respawn times) at the same time for ten minutes, memorizing spawn patterns for enemies etc. Even to just make a simple jump from A-B in quake takes some players months to learn. Different league really.

Never been a big Quake fan but I have seen that and I have to say the skill level is about the same roughly but in DMC you don't need to think really as you know where the enemies are coming from. Quake (In fact any FPS online) does take strategy because you have to try and think several steps ahead of people who you don't know making it extremely hard.

Dante's Ghost

Browsing The Halls of Fortuna Castle
Changed my view on action games forever! DMC 1 was like, dude' this is awesome! Too bad after completing it my so called mate at the time borrowed it & never gave it back!

Thank God for the HD re-issue this year hey!

Nessy

@Zargus

because of computer AI being predictable, single player games are almost always vastly easier to learn than any competitive online game.

Autumn

Welcome to my world....
As the topic says I am just wondering as for me it broadened things I liked in gaming. I was mainly a Platform (Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Croc) and RPG (FF, Kingdom Hearts) gamer but I like a lot more gaming genres now because of it. If it had not been for my mate lending me DMC1 I would probably never have tried it and still been a Platform and RPG gamer.

That is what it did for me.

My story is the same as yours ^_^

I started off on platformers, it's mostly what we had in the old days and I moved onto RPG (Final Fantasy and Zelda) and I would only look for other RPG's. When I found DMC, well, that made me look into a lot more game then.

Son of Sparda

The Legendary Dark Knight
I started off as a GBA gamer. That was it, all i played were mini games.

Went to PS2, buying random games. Never completed any of them, just played and shelved. Devil May Cry was the first game that i stuck to, loved it.

Followed the series, now i play, complete, and obtain Platinum Trophies on my games.

To me, Devil May Cry and Kingdom Hearts are the best games.

Not only did they change my perspective of games, but they changed my perspective of life.

LeoXCV

Single life for life
It is what formed the way I hold a controller and how easy it is for me to play any game because of that. DMC1 was the first game I ever bothered going past Normal and going all the way to DMD (Infinite DT sounded so cool to me and motivated me) then I found out that the completion of a high difficulty excited me :) I was quite young when I first played it, but can't remember my exact age. It was pretty much the step to a more adult genre from things like Ratchet & Clank. I Also became a lot more open minded about game genres in general because of it. Now one of my all time favourite game series and still happy to play all of them :)

Top Bottom