• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What effect did the DMC series have on you as a gamer?

Zargus

Do you know how to install true FEAR?!
Premium
As the topic says I am just wondering as for me it broadened things I liked in gaming. I was mainly a Platform (Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Croc) and RPG (FF, Kingdom Hearts) gamer but I like a lot more gaming genres now because of it. If it had not been for my mate lending me DMC1 I would probably never have tried it and still been a Platform and RPG gamer.

That is what it did for me.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
As the topic says I am just wondering as for me it broadened things I liked in gaming. I was mainly a Platform (Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Croc) and RPG (FF, Kingdom Hearts) gamer but I like a lot more gaming genres now because of it. If it had not been for my mate lending me DMC1 I would probably never have tried it and still been a Platform and RPG gamer.

That is what it did for me.
it made me appreciate the depth in combat in games.
it also made me realize that i like difficult games. :)

Zargus

Do you know how to install true FEAR?!
Premium
it made me appreciate the depth in combat in games.
it also made me realize that i like difficult games. :)

To be honest that is another thing it had an effect on me but I put the genres because that had more of an impact on me at the time :p

And difficult games are fun. My mates all think I am nuts going on the hardest difficulty or playing a difficult game.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
To be honest that is another thing it had an effect on me but I put the genres because that had more of an impact on me at the time :p

And difficult games are fun. My mates all think I am nuts going on the hardest difficulty or playing a difficult game.
yeah i understand. :)
and yes ever since i've played devil may cry games, i try to push every game to it's limits. :)

Dante47

If I never played Devil May Cry for the PS2, I doubt I would be such a hack and slash fan. If I never played this game at my friends house, I probably wouldn't have bought all PlayStation consoles. I probably wouldn't have joined this awesome community as well. Though I joined recently, I've been a fan for years.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Not sure. It didn't make me take to games that copied its gameplay style, like God of War. I'm a finicky gamer. Some games and series just click with me, and others don't... even if they're similar.

But I suppose it did broaden the appeal of 'action games' to me slightly. Prior to DMC1 I was mainly a survival horror gamer, and back then, most of those couldn't be termed 'action games'. But I'm more likely to give an action game a try because of it.

Railazel

I've realized that I'm best at Hack n Slash games thanks to DMC. I sucked at every other genre and the basic Action/Adventure games bored me. Games like Kingdom Hearts 2 and God of War clicked with me thanks to the effects DMC had on me.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I've realized that I'm best at Hack n Slash games thanks to DMC. I sucked at every other genre and the basic Action/Adventure games bored me. Games like Kingdom Hearts 2 and God of War clicked with me thanks to the effects DMC had on me.

KH2 was an Action/Adventure game.

With me, DMC didn't really do much for me, but it did make me see fasinations in weapons. Back then I was one of those kids who thought guns were bad and were only killing weapons...then I realized so were swords (Especially katanas which were my favorite swords) DMC also let me see a new love of weapons, Claymore swords. In terms of gameplay, I played it like i'd play Kingdom hearts 2 but more button pressing and patiance.

pangyunx

up!

kv.gif

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer
To be honest, DMC didn't have any effect on me. The only game that really had effect on me was MAX PAYNE! I have so many memories attached to that game. After it was released back in the 2001, I must have played the game more then 100 times in every difficulty. It was truly a Masterpiece.That game brought me into action games and helped me find other great games like Hitman and Resident Evil. Only then after that I got into DMC.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Nowadays I play a lot of games with similar gameplay to DMC. DMC encouraged me to go out and play games that I wasn't familiar with, but looked interesting. Like the Trauma Center series. First reaction was "A game about surgery? Meh." but then I played it and it was awesome. First reaction to Fatal Frame was: "A game where you take pictures of ghosts to exorcise them? Meh." but then I played it and it was awesome. Get the pattern?

Oxymore

Kyyyyriiiiiiiiiiiiie!
The only effect DMC did have on me is for the gameplay style, I became more nervous and reactive.

darkdeamon92/dmc3/

DMC didnt much effect me but it led me here and i started to see games more like it and be more active and all...so its all gd :D....and + i started with DMC3 so i was hooked for life :p:D

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
the first DMC game i ever played was DMC3 (original). i borrowed it from a friend of mine who told me it was one of the best games ever and i HAD to play it. so i did. it was the first game that actually blew me away. i finished it in about a week. then got my own version (special edition) and 1,2 and soon after 4.

as a gamer it made me LEARN combos. before i was button mashing and happy. now i spend time memorizing moves and techniques. it made me realize how awesome it is to take on a game at MAX difficulty and pawn it, till then i was like pshh easy FTW. it also helped me develop an amazing sense of surround thought. i can see a series of problems infront of me and solve them all at the same time. (came from fighting many oponents at once with style) i know it sounds silly. but im a full time student and THAT thought process is whats lead me down the path im on.

Oxymore

Kyyyyriiiiiiiiiiiiie!
It also has the effect to *don't know how to explain in english* play the game one more time after i've finished it. Thing that rarely happen to me.

Agility

"Known"
By the time DMC came out I was infatuated with Dragon Ball Z. As a youngin' anxiously awaiting the next episode. I moved on to something that could draw out my jobless life. I went to the mall and I saw Dante's white hair and immediately started asking for it. With the game being a reasonable price and also that my older brother wanted to play it (survivor horror kind of guy), I got the game and watched him play it and when I watched him juggle those demons with guns and then he kept shooting....and wouldn't STOP shooting, I learned about diversity in combat. Now after he gets his ass handed to him, I take up the controller, played around in an empty room for a little bit to check responsiveness. I got into that room and I mean I demonlished every demon in there. (get it? Demonlished? Ahahaha....it's funny.)

When he asked "how" I did that. I said something I never thought I'd say about a video game "skill". It taught me that practice would be needed not only in schoolwork but video gaming too. First game I played where I felt like my reflexes and timing needed to be on que.

If you were wondering if I was able to keep up my demon demonlishing skills, I wasn't. Those gawd awful shadow dogs ****ed ME off like the piranhas in Ninja Gaiden!

I did wish that there were air combos like in this DmC though.

Top Bottom