• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What do Dante and Ragna the Bloodedge have in common?

TyrantWayne9999

Golden Saint God of Overlords
White hair, large swords, red coats, and are super over-powered characters. Well maybe not that last one. What they do have in common is an anime that doesn't have their name in the title however.

What would you think about an anime retelling of the Devil May Cry series?

Yes I have seen the DMC anime but that's an independent story within the established canon of the series but I'm more curious if a retelling of the games' story could work...at all.

Viper

Premium
I'd love a complete DMC anime with all the story, and not just interlude... though I'd love a sequel even more.
However, since it's a different media and the player is reduced to just watching, I'm afraid it would suffer from the same things like the existing one and Bayonetta anime in particular - fights would just not look as spectacular like in the game, leaving a good deal of fans disappointed and whiny.

Now, if they did a sequel and did the story nice and detailed so you have something to think about that isn't how long it took Dante to beat a demon, then I think it would work.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I wouldn't mind another anime of DMC. Granted it needs to be better then the last animated series...and not by MADHOUSE. MADHOUSE does well with it's own material, but when it comes to adapting western series to anime, it doesn't hold out well.
Supernatural anime
Devil May Cry anime
X-Men anime
Blade anime
Iron Man anime
I just don't have confidence in that studio.
If I had my choice though, I'd prefer they studio Trigger (Gurren Lagan, Kill La Kill, FLCL) for the action.

But with Ragna and Dante, Dante is more one-liners and crazy cheesiness. Ragna is a bit more brooding with that same anime cheese. Basically both are a bit cheese but that's not a bad thing. With me, I prefer Ragna more as a character, but Dante for his actions.

Viper

Premium
@DragonMaster2010
But when it comes to art style, MADHOUSE is so much better than studio Trigger, so much more in tune with DMC. How about a joint effort? I mean, if fight scenes are so bad, though I personally found them to be just fine, how about MADHOUSE does art, while they take advices on fight scenes from someone with better ideas?

DragonMaster2010

@DragonMaster2010
But when it comes to art style, MADHOUSE is so much better than studio Trigger, so much more in tune with DMC. How about a joint effort? I mean, if fight scenes are so bad, though I personally found them to be just fine, how about MADHOUSE does art, while they take advices on fight scenes from someone with better ideas?
Yeah but I was never a fan of MADHOUSE's artstyle for DMC. The female characters looked ghastly, The action was low brow compared to the games, and the final boss battle was like a good 1-10 second fight with Dante hardly there. But this is more about the art style and though the clothes, color palate, and reflection of the weapons are beautiful, the character's designs in terms of physical appearance are pretty unappealing.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Well Im not too well-versed into Blazblue but I can say Ragna is inspired by dante and a way to play around with his archetype (I think Blazblue was written by a guy who wrote DMC before and most of the cast are just a way to play around with anime archetypes)

I'm not against another anime for DMC but the one we had before was dreadfully boring so I would say a different studio and a different concept would be the way to go.

A retelling of the games story could be cool but i'm against a strict retelling because that wouldn't really be much fun to watch. I rather they re-tell the stories but go on their own path to further develop the characters and make connections between the disconnected events.

Plus this franchise is plagued with good ideas but bad execution so being able to correct and lift up some of the weaker elements would be cool.

I nominate Studio BONES since im a fan of their work on FMA and ao no exorsist and they are good at playing with someone else's toys so to speak.

Viper

Premium
Yeah but I was never a fan of MADHOUSE's artstyle for DMC. The female characters looked ghastly, The action was low brow compared to the games, and the final boss battle was like a good 1-10 second fight with Dante hardly there. But this is more about the art style and though the clothes, color palate, and reflection of the weapons are beautiful, the character's designs in terms of physical appearance are pretty unappealing.
While I do agree the anatomy of females was strange, and it was just females, male characters and kids looked just fine, in my opinion cartoony style of Kill la kill would be no improvement, quite the contrary. Also, you credited Gurren Lagan and FLCL wrong, they were made by Gainax and various other companies as help. The style ain't much better in giving that right vibe, however.
Now that I look through companies, I see Madhouse also did some of Hellsing Ultimate (so with the right story they could do something people like), with the rest being done by Satelight and Graphinica. The first Hellsing was done by Gonzo. If I had to choose, these companies that actually have experience with the kind of anime that is in spirit with DMC would be on my list.

But I guess it all comes down to personal taste in the end.

DragonMaster2010

Now that I look through companies, I see Madhouse also did some of Hellsing Ultimate (so with the right story they could do something people like), with the rest being done by Satelight and Graphinica. The first Hellsing was done by Gonzo. If I had to choose, these companies that actually have experience with the kind of anime that is in spirit with DMC would be on my list.
But can they animate the over-the-top action well without just copying what DMC has done in the past?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
A few years ago i did a pitch on a anime for nero to get his own spinoff so I wouldnt mind seeing another character take the lead.

or set in the past when dante's actually interesting

Viper

Premium
But can they animate the over-the-top action well without just copying what DMC has done in the past?
I can't say if they will do it well until they actually show their work, but judging from Hellsing at least the horror and gore would be more pronounced. Though everything comes down to Capcom really and their requests. I heard that the story of DMC anime got cut to bare necessities by them because they were afraid it could clash with DMC4.

Awake

Under the Promised Flag
Ragna was based on Dante's Design...as for his attitude its a mix of Sol and Dante....the dev stated this...there are plenty of easter eggs in the game Pretaining to Devil May Cry...Ragna's theme is called Rebellion...when you beat the first game on HELL difficulty you get a trophy that says Dante.... and in the Material book (Art Book) you see a little sketch of Ragna holding Rebellion... also from the side that Jin has a katana and the character is represented as blue and Ragna is represented as red...they have a sibling rivalry and have been seperated at a young age...

Viper

Premium
@Awake Thank you for all the info, but the title of the thread is a bit misleading, as this is about the fact they both have an anime and we are asked for our opinion on retelling DMC's story as an anime series.

Awake

Under the Promised Flag
@Awake Thank you for all the info, but the title of the thread is a bit misleading, as this is about the fact they both have an anime and we are asked for our opinion on retelling DMC's story as an anime series.
ah ok my bad.....but a retelling of the anime.....idk....kill la kill is basically a retelling of DMC3 in anime form but vergil turns good at the end

TyrantWayne9999

Golden Saint God of Overlords
Interesting...though I'll bet it'd probably too much to ask if any of you think a DMC fighting game would work out?

Top Bottom