• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Was Bolverk really Odin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltDeadpool

Merc with a Mouth
Is Bolverk actually Odin?!

I honestly never thought about it, but recently I've started to pay more attention to DMC2, and I noticed it. Bolverk has Odin's wolves, Freki & Geri. Bolverk has a spear (Odin had a famous spear named Gungnir), and I found this information...

Disguised as Bolverk, Odin persuaded Baugi to bore through a mountain to help him gain the mead of poetry.

Do you guys think there's any chance we'll be seeing Thor in a future game?

KojiDude

No chance. Capcom will never make a game that takes place after DMC2, so there'd be no game to put him in. (DMC4 happens between 1&2)

UltDeadpool

Merc with a Mouth
KojiDude;15008 said:
No chance. Capcom will never make a game that takes place after DMC2, so there'd be no game to put him in. (DMC4 happens between 1&2)

By "future games," I meant DMC4 or DMC5. Thor could show up in the game that takes place before DMC2 (which they probably all will).

Dark Elf;15048 said:
A spear? I used to think that Odin carried an axe

Nope. He carried a spear named Gungnir, which never missed, and always returned to Odin's hand.

UltDeadpool

Merc with a Mouth
From what I remember, Bolverk's spear would grow in length... interesting.
If Bolverk only had one eye, it would be official. However, Bolverk didn't have any "eyes."

Dark Elf

Dagger user
Yeah, Bolverk had one eye. Actually, I'm not surprised, coz Capcom already inserted mythic creatures in the series:
Cerberus (not ice, but he was three-headed dog)
Beowulf (Actually was a viking hero who slayed Grendel, the beast (interesting parallel)
Mundus (Not so sure but he has some connection to Mundus Cereris, the gates of hell)
Dante and Vergil of course

UltDeadpool

Merc with a Mouth
I really like it when they derive things from actual mythology.

There's also:
"Nevan" is taken from Irish folklore.
"Griffon," not so hard to tell he's supposed to be a Griffin.
"Agni" is the Hindu deity of fire.
"Rudra" is the Hindu diety of wind.
"Arachne" in Greek mythology is a woman who was turned into the first spider.
"Fallen" are fallen Angels, of course.
"Alastor" is the chief executioner of hell.
"Ifrit" is the name of a race of fire Genies.
"Beelzebub" is a fallen angel, who's as powerful as Satan.
"Kyklops" is another spelling for "Cyclops," a race of one-eyed giants.
"Sargasso" is taken from the "Sargasso sea" which is said to be haunted.
"Leviathan" is a gargantuan sea-serpent from the bible.
"Dullahan" is the headless horsemen, which inspired "Sleepy Hollow."

I think that's all of them.

Dark Elf

Dagger user
I thought Agni & Rudra are Fire and Wind in Latin. But I remembered now that Fire is Igni.
I read somewhere that Alastor was the right hand (read: the most powerful servant) of Lucifer

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
UltDeadpool;14990 said:
Is Bolverk actually Odin?!

I honestly never thought about it, but recently I've started to pay more attention to DMC2, and I noticed it. Bolverk has Odin's wolves, Freki & Geri. Bolverk has a spear (Odin had a famous spear named Gungnir), and I found this information...
Interesting discovery, UltDeadpool. I hadn't noticed the reference to the Norse God Odin before. Great find! ;)

UltDeadpool

Merc with a Mouth
Thanks... I've been playing Mortal Kombat for so long, it's hard to put things pass me. Y'know, not to gloat or anything, lol.

KojiDude

Capcom said DMC1,3,and 4 have nothing in common with 2 though, so that leaves only 5 for Odin to appear in.

UltDeadpool

Merc with a Mouth
Odin... Bolverk, already appeared. He could probably appear again, but they'd have to probably retcon his appearance in DMC2.

UltDeadpool

Merc with a Mouth
Me too. Sure, made up characters/creatures can be alot of fun, but I enjoy seeing the people/monsters of myth used in a more contemporary way.

Dark Elf

Dagger user
btw, Furiataurus=Minotaur.
And that would be no surprise if we fight Hydra or Dagon or Cthulhu. Or Vlad Dracula

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom