• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vergil as the ultimate winner?!

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Don't you ever wanted the ultimate winner in DMC was Vergil and not Dante? I mean, don't you ever feel Vergil was unfairly portrait and treated?
Vergil was noble, sober, stoic , what was the opposite of his brother.Was Dante just an accidental hero or just an hero because creator said so?
What do you think?

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
vergil was fairly portrayed and treated, the way he was done was what made him the cool man that he was.. like vegeta was to Goku.. they're second on the greatest, but some people digs those kinds of characters.. if they was the main guy and acted the same way as they were the second guy, i might not dig them.. let Dante win, vergil is still cooler..

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
To tell you the truth, no, Vergil shouldn't have been the winner, imo, but just because they needed to link DMC3 with 1, having him fight Mundus and become his servant. If he won, and his plan succeded, that event wouldn't have happened.

BUT they should have developed Dante's progress a little bit better. Cause throughout the entire DMC3, Vergil is clearly shown to be stronger and a better swordsman than Dante, and his progress in power level (Dante's) is too quick to be believable at a first glance, imo.

But maybe it's because of Dante's acceptance of his humanity, like DragonMaster says. The series has heavily hinted that once a demon embraces humanity, he reaches the "full potential" (not the most correct term, but I can't find a more accurate expression). Therefore, Dante won over his brother despite him being a better fighter.

So ultimately yeah, the way their final battle ended is fine by me. And on a side note, the final showdown is goddamn well directed, I'm happy with that too:thumbsup:

Gel

Premium
I just put this question where since DMC4 SE is coming and there is a great possibility Vergil's persona and motivations become more legit and noble than Dante's, if you know what I mean.
Still today I don't buy the idea Dante accepted fully his humanity: he preaches about it, but seems he doesn't really care about people. In DMC3 there was a human in the demonic tower and he gave dmn about it.He's too lazy and too nonchalant, and the only person he cares about is a demon, so ...
Hmm, I still don't know what to think about him.

Last edited:

absolitude

that begs the question.. what is humanity? or what exactly is the "humanity" being embraced by a half demon in DMC lore?

just came to mind, vergil had a purpose compared to dante, i dont really know what was dante's aim in life, as if he's just living it and see what's what.. lemme change my vote a bit, dante may win, vergil is stil the winner..

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I just put this question where since DMC4 SE is coming and there is a great possibility Vergil's persona and motivations become more legit and noble than Dante's, if you know what I mean.
Still today I don't buy the idea Dante accepted fully his humanity: he preaches about it, but seems he doesn't really care about people. In DMC3 there was a human in the demonic tower and he gave dmn about it.He's too lazy and too nonchalant, and the only person he cares about is a demon, so ...
Hmm, I still don't know what to think about him.

Well with Lady, Dante knew that she could handle herself. But yeah, Dante was pretty much chillin about while demons were ripping up the city outside. For that much damage, it had to take a while to have all that destruction be lying around. And what was Dante doing? Sitting around with pizza.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Dante is no god. He can't be at all places at the same time. It would have been impossible (and pointless) to take care of the demons outside the tower, cause if he doesn't stop Vergil, they will continue to spawn again and again and again. Therefore, it's more logical to eradicate the problem at its root: Temen Ni Gru.

As for his humanity, he admitted he didn't give a damn at first, it was just work for him (also a personal matter, since Vergil showed up after a year they hadn't seen each other), but after witnessing Lady's determination and realizing her motivation, he picks his side in defense of mankind. By the time of the final showdown, he already accepted and embraced humanity.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Dante wins becaise he has emotion and will and his humanity and heart add to his strength , that is why he won in the end. There second fight was completely equal, vergil only ever had the upperhand when dante hadn't yet unlocked his dt. I am sure if dante had yamato from childhood he could use it just as well as vergil.

I always saw it as them being even with vergil having the edge at first , but dante winning and becoming stronger from embracing his humanity. Look at his powerscaling from DM3-DMC2

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Well, even in the second fight, I think Vergil was still superior. He had absolutely no problem handling 2 opponents at the same time (yes, Lady is just a human, but still a distraction from Dante, hence a disadvantage). When Lady joined the fight, Vergil struck unbalancing both her and Dante, easily parried Dante's attack in mid air upside down, and parried another Dante's attack from behind without even looking.
Even though the fight ended in a draw, you could still see that Vergil was the best between the two there.

In the final fight, Dante got the upper hand thanks to embracing his full nature, demon AND human.

Last edited:

Gel

Premium
Let us compare these situations: ( if we ignore these plots were written by different people)
Lady was alone in the tower surrounded by every kind of demons, Dante never cared to know where she was, if she was alive or whatever.Ok, she can handle herself well enough to survive.
Trish appeared to him, electrocuted him, threw him his own bycle, showed to be quite strong, but he spent all game thinking in protecting her, even if she betrayed him over and over.If there is someone who could care about herself is Trish, so why the worry?
About humanity: I don't know what they define with demons embracing humanity.It doesn't seem to me Dante changed too much or that he loves humanity more than before ( if he likes it at all).He wasn't too worried in DMC3, even less in DMC4.The same way DMC writers want me to believe a demon became more "human", when this same demon puts everybody in risk using an object with the potential of a "nuclear bomb" just for the fun of it.Unless being "human" means to be a serial killer or just some freak. And even there Dante didn't care.
I know Capcom is known for having weird plots, but ...

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Dante is more worried about Trish cause she resembles his mother. He probably "projected" Eva's figure in her. Consequence of his trauma.

As for DMC3, I explained 2 posts ago.

absolitude

Unless being "human" means to be a serial killer or just some freak. And even there Dante didn't care.
I know Capcom is known for having weird plots, but ...

lol, just lol.. that's just about it, there's no actual pointer of him embracing humanity..

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
there's no actual pointer of him embracing humanity..

As I said before:
he admitted he didn't give a damn at first, it was just work for him (also a personal matter, since Vergil showed up after a year they hadn't seen each other), but after witnessing Lady's determination and realizing her motivation, he picks his side in defense of mankind. By the time of the final showdown, he already accepted and embraced humanity

"Quite frankly, at first I didn't give a damn. But because of you, I know what's important now. I know what I need to do"

Top Bottom