• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vergil Analysis

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer

Here is my analysis on Vergil's playable movesets.

OVERVIEW

Vergil is the twin brother of Dante, thus has some similarities of fighting style like Dante. However, Vergil's moves are more practical to use than Dante, as many of Vergil moves are faster to use and more deadly. Here is an analysis on Vergil's moveset.

i) Basic skills

Roll - This is one of the basic evasive skills. It is useful to dodge attacks. (Score: 8/10)

Devil Trigger - Undoubtedly, this will help you to beat enemies faster due to increased damage. Also, you can regenerate your health, increased of defense, and can only be staggered by only strong attacks. Remember to use it if you are in danger of dying. (Score: 10/10)

Devil Trigger Explosion - Like Dante, Vergil can use D.T explosion by holding the L1 button. The more Devil Trigger gauge you consume, the stronger the explosion is. Works well against weaker enemies as well as bosses. Buy all seven Purple Orbs to maximise the damage. (Score: 10/10)

Kick Jump - This move is useful to kick against walls to obtain items like Blue Orbs. Practice it well. (Score: 8/10)

Enemy Jump - This move is useful to jump on enemies for extra attacks or to avoid attacks. By practicing it, it can be useful when fighting off multiple enemies airborne. It must be mastered in order to complete one of the Secret Missions. (Score: 8/10)

Taunt - This is one of useful moves of Vergil. If you equip Yamato and taunt enemies nearby. Vergil will have a black aura surrounding him and allows him to recover DT quickly if uninterrupted. It only works if there is at least one enemy nearby to Vergil. Beowulf or Force Edge's taunts are quick to execute as well, so use it to recover DT quickly. (Score: 10/10)

Instant Weapon Change - You can change between all three weapons by using the L2 or R2 button. Remember that it allows you to raise Stylish points easily if you keep using different moves or weapons in one combo. (Score: 10/10)

Basic Skills overview

Unlike Dante, Vergil has little access to other basic skills such as Free Ride, Pole Play, or even Air Hike. Fortunately, he has access to Taunts and others to allow him survive in the game.

ii) Yamato skills
dmc3-katana.jpg
Yamato Combo - The only basic combo of Yamato. The three hit combo is quick, and the last hit will hit a wide range in front of Vergil. However, the first two hits are extremely weak, and only the last hit is strong enough to knock down enemies. If you let the sheath animation to finish, you will recover some DT and raise some Stylish points. You will not recover any DT or raise any Stylish points if you use this move continuously. (Score: 7/10)

Upper Slash - Yamato version of High Time and Helm Breaker, except that Vergil will not rise to the air to perform a jumping slash. It is useful to juggle enemies on the air. However, it is very narrow range, and preferably should be used in single enemy. If you let the sheath animation to finish, you will recover some DT and raise some Stylish points. You will not recover any DT or raise any Stylish points if you use this move continuously. (Score: 7/10)

Aerial Rave - A two-hit combo on air using Yamato. The first hit allows Vergil to float a while, which allows you to do either Enemy Jump or Trick on enemies. It is extremely useful and powerful, and best used against certain airborne enemies, as well as bosses like Cerberus and Beowulf. (Score: 9/10)

Rapid Slash - A powerful dash attack that strikes enemy behind you. It is good, as it knocks any weaker enemies down. You can use it to chain it into Judgement Cut, by quickly holding the Triangle button when using Rapid Slash. Level 2 is the stronger version. (Score: 7/10)

Judgement Cut - The strongest Yamato move. Vergil will unleash an orb of slashes by unsheathing his Yamato quickly. It is a charge attack, so you need to hold down the Triangle button to use it. It is extremely powerful, as it damages many enemies greatly. The downside is that Vergil is extremely vulnerable during this move, so be careful. Level 2 will allows Vergil to unleash two more extra Judgement Cut with proper timing on pressing the Triangle Button. (Score: 10/10)

Yamato overview

Although Yamato has long and wider range than his melee weapons, it lacks moves to allow you to use the weapon more flexibly. Using D.T with Yamato is effective, as it allows him to use any Yamato moves more faster. It is highly recommended to buy Judgement Cut as soon as possible, as it is one of strongest move in the game. There are some enemies weak against Yamato, such as Cerberus and Beowulf.

Strengths
- Easy to refill DT gauge.
- Wide range attacks.
- Judgement Cut LV2 is extremely powerful.
- Effective against Beowulf and Cerberus.

Weaknesses
- Very few moves available.
- Slightly harder to control than Force Edge and Beowulf.

iii) Beowulf skills

dmc3-armor.jpg

Beowulf Combo - A four hit combo using Beowulf. It is highly useful as it packs high damage, as well as quick to execute. Useful against single enemy. (Score: 9/10)

Starfall - Vergil's version of Dante's Killer Bee. It allows Vergil to close in enemy faster while damaging the enemy. Level 2 is the stronger version. (Score: 9/10)

Lunar Phase - A very powerful revolving multiple kicks. It is very damaging and highly useful to interrupt enemies. You can use it to interrupt Agni and Rudra's sword attacks easily by using it (Score: 10/10)

Rising Sun - Beowulf version of High Time. A powerful two upward kick attacks that rise Vergil upwards. You can immediately chain it to Starfall upon using it. (Score: 7/10)

Beowulf overview
Vergil's Beowulf moves are obviously lacking than Dante's, but many of Vergil's moves are easier to use and stronger. Lunar Phase is one of the best Beowulf moves, and should be purchased as soon as possible. There are few enemies weak against Beowulf, such as Hell Vanguard and Doppelganger.

Strengths
- High powered attacks.
- Effective against single enemy.
- Starfall LV2 is powerful.
- Lunar Phase is easy to interrupt enemy attacks and damage them greatly.
- Effective against Doppelganger, Nevan and Hell Vanguard especially.

Weaknesses
- Poor crowd control.
- Lack variety of Beowulf techniques like Dante.

iv) Force Edge skills

Force_Edge_3.jpg

Force Edge Combo - A multi hit combo that is good in crowd control using Yamato and Force Edge. A standard combo that replicates Dante, this combo is even more deadlier than Dante's Rebellion combos. Useful to get fast Stylish ranking. If you let the sheath animation to finish, you will recover some DT and raise some Stylish points. You will not recover any DT or raise any Stylish points if you use this move continuously. (Score: 9/10)

Stinger - One of the strongest Force Edge move that allows Vergil to close in enemies quickly. Level 2 is the stronger version. (Score: 9/10)

Helm Breaker - Powerful downward slash that is same as Dante's Helm Breaker. Level 2 is the faster version. (Score: 9/10)

High Time - Powerful rising slash that is same as Dante's High Time. You can follow up the attack to the air with either any aerial moves or Helm Breaker. (Score: 9/10)

Round Trip - Vergil throws the spinning Force Edge towards an enemy. You can only Yamato while the Force Edge is still spinning at an enemy. (Score: 7/10)

Force Edge overview
Force Edge has a lot of moves that make Vergil plays like Dante. However, Vergil lacks the Dante's versatility in using Rebellion, thus making Vergil's moveset a bit lacking compared to Dante. I highly suggest to purchase Helm Breaker and Stinger upgrades as these moves are quite useful compared to Round Trip.

Strengths
- Easy multi-hit combo.
- Stinger is powerful.
- Allows Vergil to play like Dante.

Weaknesses
- Round Trip is not particularly strong.
- Does not have particular elemental advantage against any enemies.

v) Darkslayer skills

Trick - Teleports to nearby enemy. Useful to get to enemies closer, or to evade attacks if timed correctly. (Score: 7/10)

Trick Up - Teleports to a spot above Vergil either on air or ground. Useful to get to enemies closer, or to evade attacks. It is also necessary in getting certain number Blue Orb Fragments or completing certain Secret Missions. (Score: 7/10)

Trick Down - Teleports to a spot below Vergil on air. Also allows Vergil to teleport to the back spor on the ground. Useful to evade air attacks. (Score: 7/10)

Darkslayer overview
This is the only Style that Vergil has. You need to upgrade Darkslayer style in order to buy new moves in the game. Compared to Dante's Trickster style, Darkslayer style is inferior in terms of number of evasive skills.

Strengths
- Allows Vergil to dodge either both ground or air attacks easily.
- Useful to complete certain Secret Missions.

Weaknesses
- Lack other evasive skills like Dante's Trickster style.

vi) Summoned Swords skills

Summoned_Swords.jpg
Summoned Swords - Summon magic blades and attack enemies. This is useful to attack faraway enemies. You can use Summoned Swords even while you are attacking enemies with other weapons, so use it to get easy Stylish ranking or to stun any incoming enemies. (Score: 8/10)

Spiral Swords - One of the best moves in the game. Vergil can summon a barrier of six Summoned Swords for both offense and defense. This allows Vergil to get high Stylish ranking easily as well as refill his DT gauge easily. You can always use Spiral Swords when either attacking or taunting as long as you have enough DT. Spiral Swords can stun any weak incoming enemies from attacking. The downside is that it drains two DT orbs, but it can be refilled easily by taunting or attacking enemies. Also, be aware that Spiral Swords can blow up Wraths if you are close to them. (Score: 10/10)

Sword Storm - Surround enemies with Summoned Swords and impale it with all Summoned Swords at once. It requires you to use Spiral Swords first. (Score: 7/10)

Blistering Swords - Allows Vergil to fire Summoned Swords quickly from his back. It requires you to use Spiral Swords first. (Score: 7/10)

Summoned Swords overview
This is the only Gun that Vergil has. Undoubtedly, Summoned Swords is one of the best long-ranged weapons as it can be fired anytime. Also, Spiral Swords allows you to deal damage as well as stunning enemies. I highly suggest players to buy Spiral Swords first, then the Summoned Swords upgrades.

Strengths
- Can be fired anytime.
- Spiral Swords is extremely useful.
- Can stun weak enemies easily.
- Can hurt Vergil (boss fights) more efficiently than Dante's firearms.

Weaknesses
- Slow firing rate.

vii) Nelo Angelo skills

Dark Sword Combo - A powerful four hit combo that is dark elemental. Powerful, wide ranged and easy to use. Need to use Yamato in this DT form to use this attack. (Score: 9/10)

Dark Streak - A dark elemental. and powerful sweeping attack that resembles Nero's Streak. Slow execution but powerful. Need to use Yamato in this DT form to use this attack. (Score: 8/10)

Dark High Time - A dark elemental and powerful uppercut slash. Need to use Yamato in this DT form to use this attack. (Score: 8/10)

Dark Helm Breaker - A dark elemental and powerful downward slash. Need to use Yamato in this DT form to use this attack. (Score: 8/10)

Dark Hand-to-Hand Combo - A powerful three hit combo that is dark elemental. Narrow ranged, slow but powerful. Need to use Beowulf in this DT form to use this attack. (Score: 8/10)

Dark Uppercut - A dark elemental and powerful uppercut attack. Launches enemy into the air. Need to use Beowulf in this DT form to use this attack. (Score: 8/10)

Dark Kick-13 - A dark elemental and powerful sweeping kick. Need to use Beowulf in this DT form to use this attack. (Score: 8/10)

Dark Starfall - A dark elemental and powerful downward kick attack. Need to use Beowulf in this DT form to use this attack. (Score: 10/10)

Dark Fireball - Launches up to three dark fireballs at enemy by holding and releasing the triangle button. Proper timing allows you to shoot up to three fireballs. (Score: 8/10)

Dark Trick - Teleports to nearby enemy. Useful to get to enemies closer, or to evade attacks if timed correctly. (Score: 7/10)

Dark Trick Up - Teleports to a spot above Vergil either on air or ground. Useful to get to enemies closer, or to evade attacks. It is also necessary in getting certain number Blue Orb Fragments or completing certain Secret Missions. (Score: 7/10)

Dark Trick Down - Teleports to a spot below Vergil on air. Also allows Vergil to teleport to the back spor on the ground. Useful to evade air attacks. (Score: 7/10)

Nelo Angelo Overview
This exclusive Devil Trigger form is unique to Vergil only. Unlike Sparda D.T form by Dante, Nelo Angelo has many unique moves in that form only. His attacks are dark-elemental, and are useful to take down enemies that are weak against dark, such as Fallen, Beowulf, and others. He also has access to health regeneration, increased attack power, and increased defense. The few drawbacks about this form is that this DT form has poorer attack and running speed compared to regular Vergil's DT forms, as well as having exclusively dark elemental attacks. You also cannot use other weapons like Force Edge or any other moves such as Lunar Phase, Stinger, and others.

However, Nelo Angelo's raw attack power can still dominate many other enemies despite having no type advantage like Geryon, Agni and Rudra, Nevan, and others. If you wish to beat enemies with their weaknesses, just turn off the Devil Trigger. Nelo Angelo D.T form can be used by using either Corrupt Vergil or Super Corrupt Vergil costume.

Strengths
- High attack power.
- Powerful movesets.

Weaknesses
- Slower compared to regular DT forms.
- Only have exclusively dark-elemental moves except Summoned Swords.

viii) No boss moves

For gameplay reasons, playable Vergil does not have any moves used by Vergil in boss fights, such as:

i) Protection Sphere (Vergil boss fight 2 & 3)
ii) Ultimate Judgement Cut (Vergil boss fight 3)
iii) Parry (Vergil boss fight 1, 2, 3)

ix) Costumes

Vergil - This is the default costume for Vergil. You will be using it most of the time.

Coatless Vergil - This costume is unlocked by beating the game once. Nothing special other than cosmetic difference.

Corrupt Vergil - This costume is unlocked by beating the game in Hard mode. It allows Vergil to transform in Nelo Angelo. Nelo Angelo has his own set of powerful moves that can defeat enemies easily.

Super Vergil - This costume is unlocked by beating the game in Very Hard mode. It allows Vergil to use Devil Trigger infinitely, but with no health regeneration. Using Spiral Swords or DT Explosion will still drain the DT gauge.

Super Corrupt Vergil - This costume is unlocked by beating the game in Dante Must Die mode. It allows Vergil to use Devil Trigger infinitely, as well as health regeneration. Using Spiral Swords or DT Explosion will not drain the DT gauge, and Vergil will transform into Nelo Angelo using this costume.

Costumes overview
Super Corrupt Vergil is the best costume in the game, as it allows you to dominate any enemies in DMD mode or in Bloody Palace. Compared to Super Sparda (Dante's costume), Vergil has the additional effect of using Spiral Swords infinitely, a move that can devastate many enemies easily.

x) Conclusion

It is clear that Vergil lacks the variety of moves compared to Dante, such as lack of weapons, lack of Style sets, and etc. However, I feel that Vergil's moves are a lot of stronger than Dante's, as many of his attacks deal higher damage than Dante, such as Starfall or Stinger. Vergil moves are also much practical to execute, as many of his moves do not require much button mashes or timed button presses.

It can be said that Vergil's playstyle is fixed, since he does not have access to other weapons compared to Dante, as well as causing you to rely on same moves over and over again. I also feel that Vergil has a lot of trouble in completing certain Secret Missions, since he does not have Air Hike or other moves. However, I still feel that Vergil is the stronger character in DMC3 HD, for the reasons stated above.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Good job on this analysis. Playing as Vergil was one of the best things to happen to me in DMC3 Special Edition. I like how Summoned Swords takes the best parts of of Artemis and Nevan to create something unique unto itself.

And Beowulf -- best hand-to-hand combat moveset ever.

MKH Spartan

I personally find Round Trip to be useful for holding an enemy still, then following up with all 3 hits of Judgement Cut for very good damage and unless they are DTed or chesspieces, they should not be able to interrupt your Judgement Cut. Also his recovery frames on his Upper Slash are horrendous, so I try not to touch it unless there is only one enemy left.

Personally I think Vergil is stronger than Dante but is more limited, whereas Dante has a lot more variety/utility to his movelist, which allows him to adapt to situations better than Vergil, who just beats his way through with better overall damage output. I do like how Vergil carries his whole kit with him, whereas Dante has to choose how he wants his at the start of the level/divinity statues.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Nice analysis, but I don't understand why you score his moves. In theory, all his moves are equally useful, or more useful for some and less useful for others. Is that the idea behind it? That you score his moves based on how often you use them personally? Anyway, yeah, nice work! :)

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
I found vergil more fun to play as then dante i personally would have perfered him to throw the summoned swords rather then just have them appear but meh and summoned swords were awsome although i would have perfered them to only take one dt instead of two. however his combat was awsome he is much more versatile with beowulf then dante and his force edge attacks pretty balanced my only complaint is that i found yamato very limited in terms of range and reach of combos but other then that awsome character personally i still perfer nero for combat

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
almost forgot lol the darkslayer style makes up for that range with being able to teleport close to enemies and then away again and then above just as quickly lol so i guess vergil really is just the overall best character for combat with dante being a close close second and nero being third however i sill perfer nero overall for the charge shot x3 maximum bet and just over all range of his combo's..*sigh* the really made the dmc combat in dmc4 something to admire think of what they couldve done with vergil in dmc4 in terms of combat and gameplay lol...also completely off topic it really ****es me off how in dmc3 dante's guns stun enemies allowing you to style off the gunslinger style but in dmc4 the barely even cause them to twitch:(

Top Bottom