• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vergil, a good guy?

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Honest opinion on this touchy subject is as follows. Whatever is made of it we'll wait and see.

No, he is not a good guy. But he's not the evil guy. He isn't the guy you want to point your finger at and say "That's the bad one here". And looking through the story, does Dante seem like a good guy to you? He states himself during the events of Devil May Cry 3 he doesn't really care about the stories and stuff to do with his father. Dante was coming off like he wasn't really bothered about his family background where his own father was concerned. That's not a nice thing in any respect, but still he felt like that at the time. We're aware that Dante held love for his mother. A picture of her in his 'un-named shop' and him screaming at Trish about how she'll never be like his mother was. You can't helo but feel that behind all of those cheesy lines of Dante's, he can come off as quite an arrogant little child.

But Dante accepted his mortality, came to terms with it. Vergil however did not do so in the same essence. But both have their flaws, ultimately. They've both made wrong or false judgements. Their characteristics may differ, but they are similar more than they think. I would say in their ambitions they can both be quite stubborn. They both like to do things that seem to dignify something and give that something a purpose.

We also have to accept the fact that nobody is perfect. And in that sense, there is truly no such thing as a 'good' guy. Both of their actions are good to an extent, but are both for personal gain. It's the selfishness of their humanity that gives them that. And they know that about themselves, so to them it is no secret.

Dante and Vergil both hold honour and pride. But neither of them are truly good guys in nature. Not evil, but not good. For me Vergil upholds the same characteristics as his twin brother, but takes it up to a slightly higher level. He may not seem like he would travel miles away to a secluded Island to help you out of a pickle. But we should never judge a book by its cover. And for me, Vergil seems to be like a cover you can't always see past. Dante is a more open book you can just about browse before he closes the book when you're getting too personal.

Valcorn

Everyone interprets Vergil differently, I ABSOLUTELY disagree with the above statement of him being cold-hearted and a villain/evil

Valcorn

People should use their brains and answer this for themselves... Dante and Vergil lived separate since 8. Who the hell you think raised him??? Of course humans. So everyone saying he hates people is wrong, that would make no sense. Someone had to give him bed, education, clothing, food etc. thus I assume he lived in foster families and orphanages as well.
From the way he acts and the script/dialogue of DMC3 of alone it appears to me that he wanted to use power TO PROTECT humanity, not destroy it.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
People should use their brains and answer this for themselves... Dante and Vergil lived separate since 8. Who the hell you think raised him??? Of course humans. So everyone saying he hates people is wrong, that would make no sense. Someone had to give him bed, education, clothing, food etc. thus I assume he lived in foster families and orphanages as well.
From the way he acts and the script/dialogue of DMC3 of alone it appears to me that he wanted to use power TO PROTECT humanity, not destroy it.
i always assumed he lived by himself on the streets because who would want something like him (since he's half demon) he also looks unusual with his blue eyes and snow white hair ,i read somewhere that in japanese folklore young people with white hair were possessed or something along those lines, he found humans weak and pathetic seeing how he hated his human side as well i think also if he ever got power he would have just stayed in the demon world

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze

you're joking right ? it never seemed like he wanted to be a gooddie little two-shoe 'IMMA save the world'

By raising the tower itself he destroyed the half of the city and by opening the portal he would be releasing the demons to the humans and he never even considered that as an afterthought he just wanted his 'Power' on all costs

and what makes you think that he would give a crap if he gets the sparda DT ?

Valcorn

i always assumed he lived by himself on the streets because who would want something like him (since he's half demon) he also looks unusual with his blue eyes and snow white hair ,i read somewhere that in japanese folklore young people with white hair were possessed or something along those lines, he found humans weak and pathetic seeing how he hated his human side as well i think also if he ever got power he would have just stayed in the demon world
He wouldn't have survived on a street.
you're joking right ? it never seemed like he wanted to be a gooddie little two-shoe 'IMM save the world'

By raising the tower itself he destroyed the half of the city and by opening the portal he would be releasing the demons to the humans and he never even considered that as an afterthought he just wanted his 'Power' on all costs

and what makes you think that he would give a crap if he gets the sparda DT ?
Half of the city? barely... ever heard "a small sacrifice for the greater good" ??

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
He wouldn't have survived on a street.

Half of the city? barely... ever heard "a small sacrifice for the greater good" ??

that's a pretty fu&3ed up selfish agenda you know ? and that's NOT the personality trait of whom you are making him out to be
'Him saving the WORLD'

he wouldn't risk the world in the first place if he was to save it later on

then he would just live peacefully like dante and hunt for demons without endangering everyone's lives and what is the 'greater good' anyway ? if he can be the hero without that power why would he need to unleash that ?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

Actually that was another plot hole of DMC. No one really knows all that well what Dante and Vergil did after their mom's death. Apparently Dante was raised by Enzo, but Vergil's life is a mystery to me.

Valcorn

that's a pretty fu&3ed up selfish agenda you know ? and that's NOT the personality trait of whom you are making him out to be
'Him saving the WORLD'

he wouldn't risk the world in the first place if he was to save it later on

then he would just live peacefully like dante and hunt for demons without endangering everyone's lives and what is the 'greater good' anyway ? if he can be the hero without that power why would he need to unleash that ?
"Might controls everything, and without strength, you cannot protect anything, let alone yourself"
Actually that was another plot hole of DMC. No one really knows all that well what Dante and Vergil did after their mom's death. Apparently Dante was raised by Enzo, but Vergil's life is a mystery to me.
Well, since it were orphanages/foster families and then Enzo/mercenaries, it ain't a plothole. Vergil also must have been raised by someone, thus the whole "I'm crazy and evil guy that hates humanity" thing makes no sense, DMC3 makes it clear that he isn't like that from his dialogue, facial expressions, actions etc.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
that's not a plot hole just a unanswered question(s). I wouldn't say he was raised by Enzo, he just knew the guy.

I think this thread is gonna end up like the Nero origins thread with us going in circles.

Valcorn

that's not a plot hole just a unanswered question(s). I wouldn't say he was raised by Enzo, he just knew the guy.

I think this thread is gonna end up like the Nero origins thread with us going in circles.
That's because we all eat from the same tree but everyone tastes a different fruit...

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
"Might controls everything, and without strength, you cannot protect anything, let alone yourself"

Oh yes of course !

Might controls everything so let thousands of humans die in the process of my ascension to power !! but that doesn't mean he's bad guy right ? only a few billion humans would die this process... for a greater good !

DarkSlayer54

Oh yes of course !

Might controls everything so let thousands of humans die in the process of my ascension to power !! but that doesn't mean he's bad guy right ? only a few billion humans would die this process... for a greater good !
That's up to debate. I still believe he would have only allowed the people in the city to die. I'm sure he knew of the loop hole... Killing most of the people on earth just makes no sense. It goes completely against Sparda.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
That's up to debate. I still believe he would have only allowed the people in the city to die. I'm sure he knew of the loop hole... Killing most of the people on earth just makes no sense. It goes completely against Sparda.

Then again Vergil hating and despising humans also goes against the whole 'Sparda embracing humanity'

btw who the heck is vergil to decide about other people's lives ?

Top Bottom