• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

UK Teachers call for anti-game laws

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I suppose there is a concern in the sense of those children that are not able to control their behaviour as well as others, should be more carefully looked after.
Agreed - they need different things; they are wired differently. My daughter at the age of 2 and a half was very very different to how my middle son is at the same age. He is...different. Whether it is autism or something else, his perception and understanding is skewed, I guess. So we have to treat it differently when it comes to certain things.

He has lack of empathy and cannot tell the difference between right and wrong in a lot of cases - even simple things. So we have to accommodate that in how we teach him to behave. He also has a limited understanding of what's dangerous...if you have a child like this then you need to be prepared to have to deal with them in a different way than you normally would. Sure, it's not as convenient as being able to plonk them down in front of a screen and get two minutes of peace to yourself but that's just tough, I guess.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Very true - I think it is so important, especially when they're quite young.

I am not sure how it was with me, but I was a very insular child and I also had a problem with feeling empathy or relating to others at that age, right up until I was around 10 or 11. Nobody recognized it or tried to help me with it, I think it was concluded that 'that was how I was', but the good thing was that my parents always took the time to answer my questions and to explain to me why I should not do things, rather than just saying "don't." And, luckily I guess, I respected them absolutely. But I didn't get much time with them that you could say, was 'affectionate' or that taught me how to bond with people in a way that means you bring out the best in yourself and in them. It was an intellectual upbringing, but not really one where I could say I 'felt the love'. Even now I respect my parents but I don't feel very close in the way I see other people can be.

Funny, I respected my parents implicitly, but I didn't really understand at that age why I should feel the same about other children, or strangers. To me they were just 'outsiders', and I didn't see why I should have to impress them. So school was a pretty unfortunate experience for me.

Since nobody really 'helped' me with any of these things, it took a lot longer for me to get to the level of other children socially in school... my grades were good, but my social life was abysmal. I managed to sort it all out by myself in the end, but I was so far behind I'm a little angry at my parents for that because I spent a lot of time back then anxious and unhappy and unable to relax. But at the same time, they let me become who I was without trying to force me to be one thing or another so... I can't blame them really. But because of those experiences, I know that how a few crucial years in the beginning can totally affect the the kid's life and outlook... maybe for the rest of their lives? Knowing what I know myself, I'd be very careful of it if I became a parent. Which is my my sister's attitude really bothers me. I don't think it's the games themselves, or the movies or anything like that that is the real factor, it's the dominant human influences in the child's life. If the parents are emotionally absent, that dominant influence could then become peer pressure, or it could be that the kid withdraws into those kinds of escapism and learns their world view from games and films and stories, without much of a counterbalancing POV. But like you said, it totally depends upon the child and they are all different. Some cope well and others really need help. It's just a shame to see when they don't get the help they need, or to see kids with horribly neglectful parents.

DeamonslayeR

The one true son of Sparda
i dont only blame parents about not knowing what kinda game s to buy for their children but i also blame gameshops aswell they wont let a kid buy a 16+ game but if a parent is with them they would give it to them straight away because they want to sell games and earn money and in my country people in gameshops give six year olds god of war and other mature games because they just wanna sell.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
i dont only blame parents about not knowing what kinda game s to buy for their children but i also blame gameshops aswell they wont let a kid buy a 16+ game but if a parent is with them they would give it to them straight away because they want to sell games and earn money and in my country people in gameshops give six year olds god of war and other mature games because they just wanna sell.
It is not the stores' responsibility to tell parents what to buy for their children. If the parents are stupid enough to buy games their children can't handle than that is their fault and no one else's. Refusing to sell inappropriate games to unsupervised children is the most you can reasonably expect from a store. A store's purpose is to make money. Raising children is a parent's responsibility.

DeamonslayeR

It is not the stores' responsibility to tell parents what to buy for their children. If the parents are stupid enough to buy games their children can't handle than that is their fault and no one else's. Refusing to sell inappropriate games to unsupervised children is the most you can reasonably expect from a store. A store's purpose is to make money. Raising children is a parent's responsibility.
yes that is true a parent is entirely responsible for their children and its not the stores fault but imagine yourself in this position where you work in a game store and a parent dosent know that he's buying a 16+ game for his 6 year old kid now wouldn't you let the parent know that he is buying a mature game for his child or would you like to earn money and dont care about the child learning abusive language or maybe becoming violent at a young age. workers at game shops should at least guide parents that what age of game is better for the kid if the parent dosent know and yes parents should be educated about this matter.

Laurence Barnes

Still not dead. Just not really here any more.
Premium
same i was 7 when i got mortal kombat cuz my dad was there i got it....an 18 for a 7 year old luckily there were no negative effects on me........well none that wernt already there

DeamonslayeR

same i was 7 when i got mortal kombat cuz my dad was there i got it....an 18 for a 7 year old luckily there were no negative effects on me........well none that wernt already there
even i started playing games like mortal kombat dmc and other mature games when i was about 7 years old and yeah it didnt have any effect on me too but you cant be too sure it can have some bad effects on some children at a young age

Laurence Barnes

Still not dead. Just not really here any more.
Premium
even i started playing games like mortal kombat dmc and other mature games when i was about 7 years old and yeah it didnt have any effect on me too but you cant be too sure it can have some bad effects on some children at a young age
yeah some are lucky......cuz i was mentally insane before i played any over aged games

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
Yeah. Same is with me but I played first violent game on 14, and never gotten bad thinking or violence lust. This not affected me.

Top Bottom