• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Two Dodge Buttons

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
There's no need actually for a guard exclusive button.

You could still have the two button with the same function, but change their effect with the Stances. Human makes dodge, Angel makes special dodge or something, and Demon makes Guard.
Like I said, there is an anatomical sense in the two dodge buttons because of the two Stance buttons.

Goldsickle

The big problem is how both controllers for the PS3 & 360 have edge shoulder buttons shaped like triggers.

If the LR & R2 buttons would just be.... buttons, like in the PS2, I think they wouldn't have to put two dodge buttons.

XDmC12345X

#BringBackTheStupidFiles
Or,you could cleverly do what other DMCs did and combine the lock-on and dodge into one button. using directional inputs.
But yes,You do have a point but I don't think it changes the fact that it's just a poor choice and generally bad design. I never really was a fan of charge shot,which is one of the reasons I don't like playing as Nero.
No, that was the worst thing ever, 3 inputs to do something i should do in one.

One of the dodge buttons should have been a lock on button. Speaking of dodging why was Angel Dodge and Demon Dodge even a thing? It's not really that hard to pull off and all it does is make the game easier, you can spam it as many times as you want.

zarion

In Vergil's downfall they're used for Trick Upwards and Trick Downwards, so they serve a purpose.
For Dante I just remapped R2 to Gun Special, works wonders imo.

WorkenOnMaLeft

Seems to me like your coordination skills are below average.
It hasnothing to do with coordination, it is ridiculous that you need three inputs for dodge and that its reliant on the direction of the enemy that the game chooses to target (god help you if you are surrounded). Ive played DMC4 for something crazy like 300 hours and the lock in that game has given me a hundred times more trouble than DmCs auto lock.

Terrutas

It hasnothing to do with coordination, it is ridiculous that you need three inputs for dodge and that its reliant on the direction of the enemy that the game chooses to target (god help you if you are surrounded). Ive played DMC4 for something crazy like 300 hours and the lock in that game has given me a hundred times more trouble than DmCs auto lock.
You probably don't realize this, but it's entirely your fault. Lock-on is much easier to manage than soft lockon because you can individually target enemies and set your own priorities. Buuuut, If you don't like it it's perfectly fine. I'm not trying to force anything on you. To be perfectly honest, when JC-raving I don't use lock on. Ever. But I still like to have it there just because it doesn't force me to target enemies I don't want to.

Agent47_89

...force me to target enemies I don't want to.

It still targets the nearest enemy regardless of which target type you use, so more often than not targets the wrong enemies.
Plus due to the moves being position-dependent (and having a dodgy camera) a side-roll turns into a back-flip or a calibur turns into Split.

Terrutas

It still targets the nearest enemy regardless of which target type you use, so more often than not targets the wrong enemies.
Plus due to the moves being position-dependent (and having a dodgy camera) a side-roll turns into a back-flip or a calibur turns into Split.
And that's called poor management. Which is entirely your fault.

WorkenOnMaLeft

And that's called poor management. Which is entirely your fault.
stop blindly defending a system youknow damn well doesnt work half as well as it should. Yesterday theres was an enemy directly behind and another in front, i noticed the one behind was gearing up for an attack so i wanted to launch the enemy infront and air rave it. i lean the left stick towards the enemy i want to launch then do the launch (back + melee) but for whatever reason Dante ends up targeting the enemy behind so what i actually inputed was a stinger INTO the very attack i wanted to escape..... thats my fault? get real man.

Terrutas

Blindly defending a system of a successful game that yet only you and the ones that desperately try to defend DmC complain about. How stupid of me, I should know better.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
DMC4 lock on was crap to me. Basically everytime i do lock on, it will not lock on to the person i want to fight. But i dont care. And sometimes, while i'm holding the lock on button, it will randomly change enemies. Most of the time i don't play with holding the lock on because it has a habit of not doing what its told. And the only reason i would use R1 was to preform more moves. and thats it.

DmC isn't really better either. But I hate how it always has you locked on to something and the camera gets really jerky. Even if i don't want to fight someone, the camera will fight me to look at the enemy.

In general, i never really liked using lock on in DMC's only for certain move types. In DmC, i wish i had the option to turn it off.

Terrutas

DMC4 lock on was crap to me. Basically everytime i do lock on, it will not lock on to the person i want to fight. But i dont care. And sometimes, while i'm holding the lock on button, it will randomly change enemies. Most of the time i don't play with holding the lock on because it has a habit of not doing what its told. And the only reason i would use R1 was to preform more moves. and thats it.

DmC isn't really better either. But I hate how it always has you locked on to something and the camera gets really jerky. Even if i don't want to fight someone, the camera will fight me to look at the enemy.

In general, i never really liked using lock on in DMC's only for certain move types. In DmC, i wish i had the option to turn it off.

I don't really understand. You're saying you don't like both lock-on systems? So basically you're saying you'd rather not target or what? (I kid,I kid.)

On a serious note, The main difference is that in DMC4 you never had ANY trouble targetting scimitars and cutlasses over biancos/frosts. And if you did then it's your fault because you weren't using the system correctly.

But in DmC, you CAN'T manipulate the system into doing your bidding because it won't even let you, Targeting flying enemies has never been more of an issue in this game than in any game i've ever played. Dead Serious.
And even if they insist, there is no harm in including an option. This was a reboot, they knew the crows they were going to have. At least give us the same features and basic combat (Not talking about styles.) as the previous games. I don't care if you change directions. At least have a Classic Layout option or something.

ChaserTech

If you're randomly changing targets while locked on, most likely you're pushing down L3 which changes the current locked on target to another one. So that is your fault if that's happening to you.

Uh...what lock on in DmC? There's not actual lock on button. It's just "point to where you want to attack your enemy. "

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
But in DmC, you CAN'T manipulate the system into doing your bidding because it won't even let you, Targeting flying enemies has never been more of an issue in this game than in any game i've ever played. Dead Serious.

My God, that means I've found how to get around this problems, since I've manage dto keep my auto lock on teh right ariel enemies whenever I want...Okay, I'll refrain from being an ass and tell you how to do it. the secret is...ready...ready?

You JUMP first. Auto lock goes automatically up, and so does your damn Ophion pull. Have fun, kids.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
I don't really understand. You're saying you don't like both lock-on systems? So basically you're saying you'd rather not target or what? (I kid,I kid.)

On a serious note, The main difference is that in DMC4 you never had ANY trouble targetting scimitars and cutlasses over biancos/frosts. And if you did then it's your fault because you weren't using the system correctly.

And even if they insist, there is no harm in including an option. This was a reboot, they knew the crows they were going to have. At least give us the same features and basic combat (Not talking about styles.) as the previous games. I don't care if you change directions. At least have a Classic Layout option or something.

You can still change targets in DmC, the only difference is there is nothing to show you that you are doing anything.

And yes. I've had my fair share of targeting moments in DMC4 but not as god awful as DmC.

Like throwing aquila at a chainsaw dude who is running after you, but missing completely and taking a chainsaw to the throat. ****ing sucks man.

Oh

ON TOPIC:

I use both Dodges. I started out trying to play it like DMC4 and learned quickly that that's not gonna work. So i put it back to default.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
If you're randomly changing targets while locked on, most likely you're pushing down L3 which changes the current locked on target to another one. So that is your fault if that's happening to you.

Well i don't press L3 when i'm locked on. I don't even use it when i play DmC

Uh...what lock on in DmC? There's not actual lock on button. It's just "point to where you want to attack your enemy. "

Its an auto lock system that, i guess, turns on when enemies are around. If you have a combo going with one demon, you can pretty much play with your right hand (and demon and angle stances) and move your left hand to the D-pad and Dante will follow the enemy until you point the joystick to another direction.

I know this because i drink beer when i play.

ChaserTech

My God, that means I've found how to get around this problems, since I've manage dto keep my auto lock on teh right ariel enemies whenever I want...Okay, I'll refrain from being an ass and tell you how to do it. the secret is...ready...ready?

You JUMP first. Auto lock goes automatically up, and so does your damn Ophion pull. Have fun, kids.

There were times when I was in the air and I still managed to grab an enemy below Dante with Ophion. So I don't think this automatically works for every situation.

Top Bottom