• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Trying to get better at DMC, anyone care to give any tips?

VergilNeroDante

Im not looking into JCing or anything of that sort because i cant do it, im looking for a way to acquire a SS rank on DMC 3 with both Dante and Vergil and im kinda having some trouble with getting the dodging right and keeping up with the style meter while also trying to make it stylish as possible and beat the level within the time to get a S rank.

So im asking if anyone could give me some tips on this because i would like to at least get this for DMC 3 since im not all that great and want to improve on that.

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
Well JCing isn't as hard as you think it just takes practice, you're probably just trying it wrong. The problem with SSing missions is they mostly require a specific strategy which isn't always fun. If you want to do that though Devils lair is a great place to go and the DMC3 section here has a nice thread stickied you should check out. I'd just stick with trying to keep it stylish while improving little by little. Best way to start is to pick a fav style/DA+guns.
Have fun and merry Christmas.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Im not looking into JCing or anything of that sort because i cant do it, im looking for a way to acquire a SS rank on DMC 3 with both Dante and Vergil and im kinda having some trouble with getting the dodging right and keeping up with the style meter while also trying to make it stylish as possible and beat the level within the time to get a S rank.

So im asking if anyone could give me some tips on this because i would like to at least get this for DMC 3 since im not all that great and want to improve on that.

No worries. JCing is easy. You just have to get proper timing with when to jump after your first attack animation, or any attack animation.

VergilNeroDante

Ok well is there a certain button combo i should use since im using the default settings? I guess practice would help but i wish it had a practice area for me to practice without having the enemy die all the time lol

SpawnShooter

You're after one of the crystal skull rooms, I always use the one at the beginning of mission 16. Just kill the two greeds when you enter and another one spawns that makes Sloths. Just keep him alive and you'll end up with infinity spawning enemies.

VergilNeroDante

Oh well alrighty then i guess that will work then i have alot of patice to do then but i always got bored because i always got killed or hit whenever i thought i was doing "good" but i gues i will try harder next time to try and help myself out to make myself better overall.

SpawnShooter

Oh well alrighty then i guess that will work then i have alot of patice to do then but i always got bored because i always got killed or hit whenever i thought i was doing "good" but i gues i will try harder next time to try and help myself out to make myself better overall.

Don't worry about getting hit, you can play safely and never get hit or do entertaining things and get hit every so often.

Being hit =/= being good, if you attempt difficult things you'll get hit but the more you try them the less you'll get hit and eventually you'll have complete freedom to do what you want and the reward is defiantly worth the effort imo. Especially if you go into the combat of DMC4

I'm more of a DMC4 player myself but what sort of set ups are you going with, I might know a couple of cool little tidbits that you can implement in places.

seraphmaycry

there multiple things you can do finding the quickest route through the levels helps ALOT there is also the fact you have only two guns two swords and one style that means you are rather limited and need the right option so you can get it right rebbelion and cerberus serve well in most situations cerberus serves as crowd control sort of but its better then nevan because it gives you HUGE style rank and rebelion well be your damage dealing weapon. (beowulf to slow) then there are the guns...welll dmc does not make guns a viable option mabye the shotgun for counterattacks? stylewise its gotta be trickster or if you have the royal timing down royalguard (probably wanna praactice that). Off screen the AI gets confused and attacks less so taking the enemys really high into the air helps you can also taunt to increase style and dt. If you are not feeling like you could get a ss on the mission that you are doing take a break or nap or whatever just do anything other then dmc for a hour or two. Playing video games with freinds has been proven to make you better something i can vouch for right there. Oh yes and learn enemy attacks cues so you can counter realy helps then theres also conserving devil trigger for the right moments if you are owning and dominating a battle then go dt for better time and style if you are being a punching bag well wait till you have very low health then dt and carefully fight the enemys whle you wait for your health to regen. Also enemy attack patterns matter max out hp and dt (meaning complete all secret missions) also be prepared to change tactic's and never ever think your safe even if you are it helps you remain in the right mindset for the next battle.Thats about it for now anyway this should be able to help and i must say most guides i find for improving yourself are never that great i found one for dmc3 where recommended rebbelion for EVERY battle with makes no sense if you want ss rank (oh and best nevan fighting weapon is cerberus) XD

VergilNeroDante

Don't worry about getting hit, you can play safely and never get hit or do entertaining things and get hit every so often.

Being hit =/= being good, if you attempt difficult things you'll get hit but the more you try them the less you'll get hit and eventually you'll have complete freedom to do what you want and the reward is defiantly worth the effort imo. Especially if you go into the combat of DMC4

I'm more of a DMC4 player myself but what sort of set ups are you going with, I might know a couple of cool little tidbits that you can implement in places.

Well i like to use Swordmaster, Rebellion, Agni and Rudra and Ebony and Ivory so i havent had many issues regarding that but whenever im playing as Vergil though alot of things were left out i still havent gotten to a good point to i can use him effectively, i know he can carry the three weapons, Yamato, Force Edge and Beowolf, the dark slayer i havent fully gotten the grasp for since its kinda hard for me to use the current button config which is the default and i have gotten so use to it i dont think i would be able to effectively use anyother unless i practiced it hours and hours on end lol

seraphmaycry

well as for vergil his darkslayer serves to purposes letting you bloc in place like royalguard and teleporting in for the kill and out of the danger zone his weapons beowulf serves the samerole just a bit faster with less damage and some aerial combos force edge has the same fighting style as rebbelion yamto not perfectly sure of anything yet but it has some ranged capabilities oh and do NOT underestatemate summoned swords it one of his most powerful weapons used right it can sheild from thing like ladys bullet storms it can kepp enemies in the air will u turn them to dust with yamato or beowulf
it serves as a way to hit emies while moving indepently (doppleganger right there) its power can be your new swordmaster and its fully badass only problem is it can use dt:'(

VergilNeroDante

well as for vergil his darkslayer serves to purposes letting you bloc in place like royalguard and teleporting in for the kill and out of the danger zone his weapons beowulf serves the samerole just a bit faster with less damage and some aerial combos force edge has the same fighting style as rebbelion yamto not perfectly sure of anything yet but it has some ranged capabilities oh and do NOT underestatemate summoned swords it one of his most powerful weapons used right it can sheild from thing like ladys bullet storms it can kepp enemies in the air will u turn them to dust with yamato or beowulf
it serves as a way to hit emies while moving indepently (doppleganger right there) its power can be your new swordmaster and its fully badass only problem is it can use dt:'(

Wait you can block with Vergil? I didnt know that, how can you do that?

SpawnShooter

Don't worry too much about Vergil till you get the hang of using different weapons and multitasking.

Rebellion obviously has Drive which you have to charge, you can charge it while doing other things like Swordmaster attacks and moves like Tempest or Free Ride give a lot of time to switch and charge it allowing for a fairly powerful ender. You can also do "Ultimate Tempest" with A+R for really high damage.

With Swordmaster, Rebellion and Agni + Rudra have a lot of flexibility, learn all the moves then just start chaining stuff together trying to avoid moves that hit enemies away from you till you want to end the combo.

Also no weapon is more viable than any other at high level play, only for SS strategies. You can be successful with any combination you want.

VergilNeroDante

Don't worry too much about Vergil till you get the hang of using different weapons and multitasking.

Rebellion obviously has Drive which you have to charge, you can charge it while doing other things like Swordmaster attacks and moves like Tempest or Free Ride give a lot of time to switch and charge it allowing for a fairly powerful ender. You can also do "Ultimate Tempest" with A+R for really high damage.

With Swordmaster, Rebellion and Agni + Rudra have a lot of flexibility, learn all the moves then just start chaining stuff together trying to avoid moves that hit enemies away from you till you want to end the combo.

Also no weapon is more viable than any other at high level play, only for SS strategies. You can be successful with any combination you want.

Alrighty, well then I guess some practice is due if I want to improve my skills and become a better DMC player overall. Is there a certain button combonation i should use to make things easier for me to do combos or no? I am currently running the default settings and I read up that it is hard to switch while trying to combo into things with those settings, well to make it look stylish at the very least.

SpawnShooter

Alrighty, well then I guess some practice is due if I want to improve my skills and become a better DMC player overall. Is there a certain button combonation i should use to make things easier for me to do combos or no? I am currently running the default settings and I read up that it is hard to switch while trying to combo into things with those settings, well to make it look stylish at the very least.

I use a custom layout for Vergil (that I only just started using so it's never too late to change) but I use the default for Dante and don't have any problems. Go for whatever's most comfortable though, some people recommend switching jump and DT for JC stuff, but I think the "slide" method works fine. I only switched with Vergil so I had better control over the summoned swords during JC combos.

seraphmaycry

Wait you can block with Vergil? I didnt know that, how can you do that?

hehe well i veiw as a block you just press the style button and it will dissepear for a second avoiding attacks without moving same purpose served make sure hes not moving in any direction otherwise he will teleport to the closest enemy in that direction

VergilNeroDante

hehe well i veiw as a block you just press the style button and it will dissepear for a second avoiding attacks without moving same purpose served make sure hes not moving in any direction otherwise he will teleport to the closest enemy in that direction

Got ya, so you have to time it just right, just like the royal guard and you will take no damage. I have done that before but at times I will hit it too soon and then after I come out of it, I end up getting hit lol.

SpawnShooter

Well i guess i need to practice then, damn i wish DMC had multi-player to help other improve.

If you could record some footage I'm sure we might be able to help with some ideas.
Oh and watching combo videos/high level gameplay always help spark some imagination.

VergilNeroDante

Well, i think a decent capture card is in need, just need the money then lol but i will try that whenever i can get the money and then jump in and record a video and then show you what i am doing exactly.

Top Bottom