• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Transformers: War For Cybertron Review (Xbox 360)

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Just finished playing Transformers: War For Cybertron two days ago, and I have to say, that game is awesome. This is the best Transformers game I have ever played, and a great action game.

Story

transformerswarforcyberv.jpg

Meet Optimus Prime, the new leader of Autobots.

The story is a prologue for the first Transformers TV series. This game tells the story of Megatron using the Dark Energon to conquer Cybertron, and how did Optimus Prime became the leader of the Autobots. There are total of 10 chapters. 5 for Decepticons campaign, and 5 for Autobots campaign.

The story is simple to understand. Not too complicated, not too simplistic. The story's is accessible to all ages. All Transformers movie fans should know that the game's story is different than the movie's storyline, not the same. So beware of it.

Gameplay

98136320100701screen002.jpg

Epic war with robots transforming to vehicle modes in real time.

The gameplay is like any other third person shooter games. However, what differentiates this game with other third person shooter games is that the characters you use has alternate form, from robot to vehicle and vice versa. This is done in real time, so you do not need to worry about charging time for transformation.

transformerswarforcyber.jpg

Change to vehicle modes for maximum speed.

Each character has different vehicle modes, different special abilities, and different startup weapons. This allows each character to be unique. For example, Megatron has a Plasma Cannon as his default weapon, he has a special ability (very useful) that allows him to drain enemies Energon (health), has the ability to Hover, and has tank form. You can also acquire weapons and powerups during the chapter, like a powerful cannon and ammo. Be noted that not all Cybertronians has infinite ammo for their weapons in vehicle mode, but only some. Plus, every Cybertronians has a melee attack, which is powerful and useful to use.

Although this game is pretty short, but the longevity of each chapters are enough to make up for it. Also, this game has a pretty hard difficulty even for Normal, which is very challenging to those who are not used to play third person action games.

98136320100602screen003.jpg

Don't underestimate the bosses in this game. They can kill you easily if you are careless.

Boss fights are very entertaining. Intense, smart, and challenging. Every boss fights are different, and have their own unique attacks. Additionally, the last boss fights for both campaigns are very challenging, so you may need to retry a few times defeating them.

98136320100701screen028.jpg

Using jet Autobots or Decepticons are very addicting. Flying around using them is awesome and enjoying.​

The action is solid, engaging, and entertaining. The best way to enjoy playing this game is to play multi-player. The only problem I have this game is that there are no cover system, which can be a disadvantage for this game. However, the intense battle in this game makes up for it. Transforming to vehicle mode in this game is very satisfying, especially when you use Autobots or Decepticons that have jet modes. Flying in jet mode is never boring, and always fun to use.

Graphics

981363060310screen001.jpg

Superb graphics.​

Graphics in this game surpass in many ways compared to previous Transformers games. The graphics are stylish, vibrant colours, and so on. The environment are exceptionally well designed. However, some players may get tired seeing the same environment over and over again.

Sound

transformerswarforcyberk.jpg

Megatron's voice are exceptionally dangerous and threatening, while Optimus Prime's voice as always, heroic and awesome. No one can replace Peter Cullen's role as Optimus Prime.​

The voice acting is superb. Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime), Johnny Yong Bosch (Bumbleebee), Fred Tatasciore (Megatron), Isaac C. Singleton, Jr. (Soundwave) and other voice actors did an excellent job in voicing each Cybertronians in this game. However, those four I listed are among the best voice acting in the game.

The soundtrack is well done as well. Tyler Bates did a a very good job creating a music befitting for this game. Although Steve Jablonsky did not compose the soundtrack for this game, Tyler Bates did a good job on it.

Replay Value

transformerswarforcyberw.jpg

Play the game with your friends to have an experience of a lifetime.​

Unlike other games, this game succeeds in multi-player. If the solo campaign is too short for you, you can always play multi-player. There are many modes available for multi-player.

Conclusion

This game deserves a recognition award. Great gameplay, nice voice acting, good story, and so on are the reasons for that. Simply, this game is the best Transformers game that I have ever played.

Score

Story: 8/10
Gameplay: 8/10
Graphics: 9/10
Sound: 9/10

Total score: 34/40 or 8.5/10.0.

Pros and Cons

Pros

- Addictive gameplay, especially multi-player campaign.
- Excellent music.
- Superb voice acting.
- Changing to vehicle modes are awesome, especially in jet mode.
- Challenging bosses and enemies.
- Well designed characters, and environments.
- Multi-player mode campaigns are very fun and enjoying.

Cons

- May be too hard for new players for third person shooter games.
- Repetitive level design.
- Very few chapters to appreciate the characters in the game. Should be more chapters available, about 10 for each campaign.
- Very few gameplay modes for single player.
- Lack of bonus contents.
- No cover system.

Keaton

Premium
Great review Chaos :D
I was going to pick this game up a few weeks ago, but got Naughty Bear instead! I'll probably wait for it to drop down in price before it vanishes!

Although, I don't have many to Multiplayer with, which may be a problem ^^

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Keaton;255545 said:
Great review Chaos :D
I was going to pick this game up a few weeks ago, but got Naughty Bear instead! I'll probably wait for it to drop down in price before it vanishes!

Although, I don't have many to Multiplayer with, which may be a problem ^^

Thanks. :D

I had the same problem too. Choosing either Transformers: War For Cybertron or Naughty Bear. I bought Transformers: War For Cybertron because the shopkeeper told me that the game is better than Naughty Bear in terms of action, and because the price of Transformers: War For Cybertron is cheaper than Naughty Bear, which is kinda surprising me.

If you are a fan of Transformers, you should pick it up.:D

Does the price for Transformers: War For Cybertron is much more expensive compared to Naughty Bear in UK?

Laurence Barnes

Still not dead. Just not really here any more.
Premium
all thanks to revenge of the fallen i know a lot more....this has just done the rest

Keaton

Premium
Chaos Master;255553 said:
Thanks. :D

I had the same problem too. Choosing either Transformers: War For Cybertron or Naughty Bear. I bought Transformers: War For Cybertron because the shopkeeper told me that the game is better than Naughty Bear in terms of action, and because the price of Transformers: War For Cybertron is cheaper than Naughty Bear, which is kinda surprising me.

If you are a fan of Transformers, you should pick it up.:D

Does the price for Transformers: War For Cybertron is much more expensive compared to Naughty Bear in UK?

You're welcome ^^

Naughty Bear costs around £37.99, whereas Tf:WfC is around £32.99, but because I paid full price for Naughty Bear I'll have to wait until I get some more money together lol

From what I've seen and heard from local Games Store Staff, Naughty Bear dominated it via Advertising, leaving it will little or no advertising instore...except the box itself on the shelf...which is REALLY shocking imo ^^

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Excellent review, CM! I've been meaning to give this game a go for a while now...Reckon I might have to pick up a copy soon. :)

The crazy demon

Metal Gear Vindicare.
Excellent, you are a good rewiever.

I have been keeping track of all transformer games and series and i love them.

Laurence Barnes

Still not dead. Just not really here any more.
Premium
duno why but i'm gonna name as many decepticons as i can

megatron , golvaton , side ways(ish) , cyclonus , starscream , demolisher , barricade , the fallen , grindor , devastator , unicron , tidal wave and thats all

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
demon genral;255953 said:
just wondering but is pic: 4 cyclonus

The fourth screenshot is Omega Supreme, an ally of Autobots.:)

Thanks for reading my review, people. Hopefully you will find that my review is useful. :)

Top Bottom