• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Trade Ins

Meg

A lot of people complain that they get ripped off when trading games in. Share your stories and any tips on where to go and how to get more money.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Xbox 360 Elite.
250 Gig hard drive.
2 controllers.
30 games.
Lugged it all into GAME and got offered £80 for it all, when it's about £400+ worth of gear.

Told them to shove it.

Honestly, if you want to sell used stuff, you're better off advertising to friends through Facebook and stuff, I've sold a fair bit of my old tat for several times more than what any game shop would have given me for it, but still infinitely less then buying it used.

Also, make sure everything you sell is in good, top notch quality, that way you'll always get the best price.
If you're selling to a person and they haggle, let them, but don't accept a price too low, my general rule of thumb with bulk amount of stuff like that is offer *around* 10% off if they haggle, or £40, whichever you're more comfortable with.
With amounts like £40, you're not losing much money while the customer still feels like they're getting a solid amount of money off, win win for both sides.

Meg

^Very good advice, Mr. Credo. One can apply that to anything really.

I go to Game Stop. I always get a good amount for my trade ins. A while back I brought in about ten PS3 games and some PS2 games and got about $250. I hardly ever have to spend much on a new game. Maybe its because I'm a good lookin' girl. ;) :lol:

Honestly, I don't know what the trick is.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I honestly never trade in stuff. I'm a game hoarder, I guess, because there's always that nagging feeling that if I sell a game, I'm gonna want to play it again down the line and not have it.

But if you're going to sell stuff, sell it to friends. They'll usually give you more than what the store will. And that's almost a given.

Keaton

Premium
Trading-In isn't usually worth it, unless you either a) don't care about what your trading in or b) know its not worth much anyway.

GAME particually rip people off, a lady came in with 50 PS2 games, each one was only worth £1, some of them were epic titles too -- Beyond Good & Evil for example.

I say, if theres a sliver of chance that you may want to play it again, keep it. The only time I trade things in are if I really disliked it, or if I 100%d it really quickly, i.e. the new Prince of Persia - The Forgotten Sands, I beat that in less than 10 hours, 100% of the trophies. Traded it in and got £30 for it, not bad when I paid £36.99.

Don't forget, trading in for cash gets you a 1/3 less!
Ugh, it sucks too, since all these stores sell the games on for a nearly five times the profit on a new game (even at the discounted price).

aka958

Don't trust people
Keaton;269216 said:
Trading-In isn't usually worth it, unless you either a) don't care about what your trading in or b) know its not worth much anyway.

GAME particually rip people off, a lady came in with 50 PS2 games, each one was only worth £1, some of them were epic titles too -- Beyond Good & Evil for example.

I say, if theres a sliver of chance that you may want to play it again, keep it. The only time I trade things in are if I really disliked it, or if I 100%d it really quickly, i.e. the new Prince of Persia - The Forgotten Sands, I beat that in less than 10 hours, 100% of the trophies. Traded it in and got £30 for it, not bad when I paid £36.99.

Don't forget, trading in for cash gets you a 1/3 less!
Ugh, it sucks too, since all these stores sell the games on for a nearly five times the profit on a new game (even at the discounted price).

I usually don't care and when I trade in I do know I get quite a rip-off, but it's worth the money since I don't play the games anymore. My 360 broke and now we are going to trade in all the games for it to game. We know we are getting alot less, but that's more than nothing and I don't want to spend weeks finding a buyer on the internet and having a long way just to get more cash out of it. This almost equals to throwing it away but instead you get cash for it. :cool:

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Trade-ins are a waste of time and money. Even if you bring in a game that's been out for only a week, you'll be offered a pittance for it.

Ebay is where we get rid of our old stuff or we ask others if they want to buy it. If the games are of no interest and worth nothing, we charity-shop them. Might not make money, but it's better than sitting on the shelf gathering dust - plus it's for a good cause.

aka958

Don't trust people
Angel;269237 said:
Trade-ins are a waste of time and money. Even if you bring in a game that's been out for only a week, you'll be offered a pittance for it.

Ebay is where we get rid of our old stuff or we ask others if they want to buy it. If the games are of no interest and worth nothing, we charity-shop them. Might not make money, but it's better than sitting on the shelf gathering dust - plus it's for a good cause.

If you just want to get rid of your games quick I don't think you want to spend time waiting for a buyer somewhere. If there was no trade-in available I would've just thrown away all those games.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Depends on how much you want for your games then, I guess. I personally don't suffer from instant gratification issues so I am willing to wait for what I believe to be a fair price for something that is in high demand. There have been a couple of times when we have had a game in a bundle that neither of us want so we've sold them for slightly less than the going retail price. Had we traded them in, we would have got maybe a fiver for something worth 8 times that amount. On ebay, if a game is popular it will shift within a few hours, not days - we sold GTA IV the day after release because we had an extra copy and it was sold a few seconds after listing.

It does depend on what you're selling and it does depend on the store - some will offer you something else if you trade in a certain game. But otherwise, shops really do rip you off.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I hate game shops... £30 for a pre-owned game that was apparently rare... it was only worth 20!

GM magazine was giving away a book which has prices of pre-owned games in. I looked up a CSI game that shops were selling for £18, its only supposed to be sold for £9!

ANYWAY! I shop around.
Although, There isn't a proper game shop in the town where i live.
The only time i get to shop at a proper games store is when i go into the city (about 10 miles away.)

So yeah, my best tip is to shop around. If shop A seems a tad expensive... get it somewhere else.

I found that charity shops are great places to pick up games. (£% for Fable...whoot)

aka958

Don't trust people
Vergil'sB*tch;269251 said:
I hate game shops... £30 for a pre-owned game that was apparently rare... it was only worth 20!

GM magazine was giving away a book which has prices of pre-owned games in. I looked up a CSI game that shops were selling for £18, its only supposed to be sold for £9!

ANYWAY! I shop around.
Although, There isn't a proper game shop in the town where i live.
The only time i get to shop at a proper games store is when i go into the city (about 10 miles away.)

So yeah, my best tip is to shop around. If shop A seems a tad expensive... get it somewhere else.

I found that charity shops are great places to pick up games. (£% for Fable...whoot)

Sounds like me and my mum hunting for a PSP a year ago... She wanted us to buy it at a lower price so we went through all shops in town and on the outskirts aswell. It ended up with her losing alot of money to fuel and we bought the game in the first store as was intended in the start. <.<

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I don't get trade-ins, or pre-owned games here. The only trade-in I've ever bought was a copy of DMC4 ($40)when my first one mysteriously disappeared. And, as fate would have it, the kids scratched THAT one and I ended up buying a brand new copy of DMC4 from Game Stop for even less than I paid for the trade-in before at $20. How sick is that?

So now I wait until I hear of a gamestore that's downsizing their stock to get some reaaaal nice deals.

aka958

Don't trust people
Chloe_Ryder;269258 said:
I don't get trade-ins, or pre-owned games here. The only trade-in I've ever bought was a copy of DMC4 ($40)when my first one mysteriously disappeared. And, as fate would have it, the kids scratched THAT one and I ended up buying a brand new copy of DMC4 from Game Stop for even less than I paid for the trade-in before at $20. How sick is that?

So now I wait until I hear of a gamestore that's downsizing their stock to get some reaaaal nice deals.

Playstation 2 games are cheap as hell. I even bought Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening for around 2-3 dollars. It was a trade-in but still, that is CHEAP! O_O

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Not exactly a fan of trading in. I rather sell games to my friends or to a game shop. Sometimes I got a good cash when selling it to game shops that takes second hand games. I sold most of my PS2 games and some of my Xbox 360 games, like Star Ocean: The Last Hope...

My friends like to trade in games, and they get ripped off 70% everytime. Bad luck for them.

Top Bottom